ADVERTISEMENT

Just curious, what is Matt Campbell’s offensive philosophy?

sloth316

Senior
Jun 24, 2002
have not watched Iowa State with any regularity...is he a pass first guy? Run first guy? Mobile qb guy? Have a buddy who doesn’t seem to think his style would work in the BIG but honestly, I have no clue

shitt or get off the pot. said he learned it as a kid and t has served him well.

Spread offense, mobile QB. I believe we need to hire a spread coach. Stop trying to be like everyone else in our division.

He doesn't have a mobile QB at ISU. Maybe he did at Toledo. He does run some wildcat with Lanning, but otherwise his offense is more like the Oklahoma spread offense.

But none of this really matters because he is not leaving ISU this year. He doesn't even have an agent, so I'm not sure what Football Scoop's source is.

Reactions: headcard
He doesn't have a mobile QB at ISU. Maybe he did at Toledo. He does run some wildcat with Lanning, but otherwise his offense is more like the Oklahoma spread offense.

But none of this really matters because he is not leaving ISU this year. He doesn't even have an agent, so I'm not sure what Football Scoop's source is.
That’s true and I think it would be a good fit with our personnel. I think he likes to use the QB run some, hinge his use of Lanning. I love Oklahoma’s offense, btw!

He's a former offensive lineman and works extensively with that group in practice. He has an outstanding rb in Montgomery but the best weapons he has on offense are a pair of 6'5" wr's that are match-up nightmares. And he's beaten these teams with a 5th yr walk-on QB.

And this ISU team plays defense with a bunch of misfit toys and plays hard. I would be thrilled with the hire

Not the greatest display of coaching in the 4th quarter today by Campbell. Some questionable decisions in the last few minutes.

I'm not sure you should hire a guy based on 2 good wins. They are 7-5 right now. I understand it's Iowa St, but I believe he is 10-14 in 2 seasons. We can do better.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I wouldn't hold Campbell's 1st year at ISU against him. He inherited an absolute dumpster fire that would make you guys blush.

That being said - and I know ISU fans are angry at the officiating late in the game today (with pretty damn good reason) - Campbell did his team no favors by passing twice at the 2 minute mark with a first down and KSU with 2 TO's left - from roughly midfield.

Then, after KSU gets the ball, and after his defense had played a great 58 minutes attacking KSU, he goes pillow soft on coverages allowing KSU to march down the field using those two precious TO's along the way.

Some questionable decisions? Some of the worst coaching I have seen this year. At least at the end.

He is referring to Campbell decided to pass and try and get the first down to win for sure with his offense instead of running and making KSU use their final 2 timeouts to stop the clock. Also, Montgomery was out due to injury after the first series today and they were playing with the backup RB. The refs even called pass interference on KSU which would have allowed ISU to pretty well run the clock out but then picked the flag up and waived it up, it was pretty controversial. Would it have been tougher for KSU to score on the last drive with no timeouts and 2 minutes to go but it doesn't mean the outcome would have been different. KSU would have in theory made different play calls without the timeouts also.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT