ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa the new texas?

So when we get turnovers, stifle the run, are never threatened to trail in a second half, is because of something we did, or something the opponent couldn't do?
Here's the point I'm making... you want to say Iowa controlled this game in every way, which is not true at all. If we finish drives Iowa loses. Iowa played well, and deserved to win. But it easily could have gone the other way if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly. Sometimes the errors are forced by the defense... my sense of that game is that we had many errors that were not forced by Iowa.

4th and 1 bomb to the end zone or a dump off to the wide open tight end for example? Stupid decision by tommy, and not anything that Iowa did to force the error. Screen pass on our two yard line... tommy can't get it over Iowa defender's hands. It was a very athletic play by Iowa defender, but if tommy does what he is supposed to do, it's not an int/td.

But yeah, Iowa had the game won before kickoff because of Kirk's coaching... in not buying it. He had a plan that was conservative and it worked, but the unforced errors on our part played a huge role in the outcome. Why can't you see that?

Here's the point I'm making... you want to say Iowa controlled this game in every way, which is not true at all. If we finish drives Iowa loses. Iowa played well, and deserved to win. But it easily could have gone the other way if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot repeatedly. Sometimes the errors are forced by the defense... my sense of that game is that we had many errors that were not forced by Iowa.

4th and 1 bomb to the end zone or a dump off to the wide open tight end for example? Stupid decision by tommy, and not anything that Iowa did to force the error. Screen pass on our two yard line... tommy can't get it over Iowa defender's hands. It was a very athletic play by Iowa defender, but if tommy does what he is supposed to do, it's not an int/td.

But yeah, Iowa had the game won before kickoff because of Kirk's coaching... in not buying it. He had a plan that was conservative and it worked, but the unforced errors on our part played a huge role in the outcome. Why can't you see that?

A game plan, or one that lacks adjustment, of throwing into 7 man coverage inside the 30 is shooting yourself in the foot before the ball is snapped. There were some awful plays in that game(TA had many he wished he could get back, but expecting players to consistently execute after a ball is snapped, when the deck was stacked is faulty logic.

So, we have to agree to disagree...My opinion the game was controlled by planning, and subsequent execution. My opinion is there was 'hope' when down by 3 at half time(again a 3 and out followed by a quick, easy emasculating score), then there was 'hope' or a chance again when we trim to 8 with the 'hope' of getting an onside kick for the chance to tie in the waning minutes. I also think Iowa may have opened it up (even by their standards) if we stressed them more. They had NO reason for higher risk plays....vanilla was more than adequate that day.

This is not saying Iowa didn't have to work to wrestle the game away. Frankly my opinion is Tommy's boneheaded plays were present, but not as frequent as legend or myth suggested. He and the offense had to run up hill in this match up, in that year, in those conditions, with the GP put in place....and it was pretty dang controlled by Iowa for all of these reasons.

Now I get message board banter, and the sticht is typically not to give Iowa a spec of credit, but turn around is fair play. Did we control UCLA in the bowl game as most of us 'remember' now? Or, are we forgetting forget how many times they moved the ball deep, particularly in the final few minutes, only to face a very compressed field? I contend that game was controlled by Nebraska, with some anxious moments we tend to 'not remember'....yet in the 2015 Iowa case we remember the hope and the few anxious moments we created, not who was pretty much in complete control.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Iowa gifted the 2014 game no way they should have lost
I don't disagree.

And I'm not saying Nebraska never should have lost 2015, but what I am saying is we were generous in our handouts in 2015. Maybe the outcome doesn't change if tommy doesn't throw a pick six or a stupid 4 and a wing and a prayer pass late in the game...

But does Iowa fan (and CecilB) really believe if we don't gift Iowa with the turnovers we handed out the way we did in that game, Iowa still wins comfortably?

A game plan, or one that lacks adjustment, of throwing into 7 man coverage inside the 30 is shooting yourself in the foot before the ball is snapped. There were some awful plays in that game(TA had many he wished he could get back, but expecting players to consistently execute after a ball is snapped, when the deck was stacked is faulty logic.

So, we have to agree to disagree...My opinion the game was controlled by planning, and subsequent execution. My opinion is there was 'hope' when down by 3 at half time(again a 3 and out followed by a quick, easy emasculating score), then there was 'hope' or a chance again when we trim to 8 with the 'hope' of getting an onside kick for the chance to tie in the waning minutes. I also think Iowa may have opened it up (even by their standards) if we stressed them more. They had NO reason for higher risk plays....vanilla was more than adequate that day.

This is not saying Iowa didn't have to work to wrestle the game away. Frankly my opinion is Tommy's boneheaded plays were present, but not as frequent as legend or myth suggested. He and the offense had to run up hill in this match up, in that year, in those conditions, with the GP put in place....and it was pretty dang controlled by Iowa for all of these reasons.

Now I get message board banter, and the sticht is typically not to give Iowa a spec of credit, but turn around is fair play. Did we control UCLA in the bowl game as most of us 'remember' now? Or, are we forgetting forget how many times they moved the ball deep, particularly in the final few minutes, only to face a very compressed field? I contend that game was controlled by Nebraska, with some anxious moments we tend to 'not remember'....yet in the 2015 Iowa case we remember the hope and the few anxious moments we created, not who was pretty much in complete control.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.
We will agree to disagree... I believe if we don't gift wrap to Iowa the pick six and the other turnovers which were avoidable, does the outcome of the game change?

If so, Iowa wasn't in control like you claim.

I know TOs are a part of the game, but these were giveaways, not takeaways, in my opinion.

Yes, Give aways on plays w/low probability of success do to weather, scheme and personnel each team had in that given year. I do believe Iowa would have been more aggressive and less risk adverse if they had to score more, especially since everything but a pick six came on quick strike big plays...but that's all conjecture .

Winning, by any margin with what they had in front of them was kind of important that day.

Anyway we cut/discuss it, our staff needs to figure this game out. I think defensively Nebraska will tighten up. IMO they still need to figure out how to run, or a late Nov against a strong willed team will be a b!tch...especially if they can continue to get pressure when dropping 7 in coverage

Reactions: timnsun
I don't disagree.

And I'm not saying Nebraska never should have lost 2015, but what I am saying is we were generous in our handouts in 2015. Maybe the outcome doesn't change if tommy doesn't throw a pick six or a stupid 4 and a wing and a prayer pass late in the game...

But does Iowa fan (and CecilB) really believe if we don't gift Iowa with the turnovers we handed out the way we did in that game, Iowa still wins comfortably?
No way Iowa wins comfortably.

I personally think Parker Hesse deserves a lot of credit for his pick six in Lincoln two years ago. He made a great play to shed the chop block and knock the ball up and keep it within arms length. He deserves credit just like DPE does for returning that punt against Iowa three years ago.

I personally think Parker Hesse deserves a lot of credit for his pick six in Lincoln two years ago. He made a great play to shed the chop block and knock the ball up and keep it within arms length. He deserves credit just like DPE does for returning that punt against Iowa three years ago.
There's definitely a disconnect with some of you, he made a good play to intercept the pass and score, for the love of all that's holy, the ball should've never been thrown, it was an unforced error by TA! If one of you would like to answer the original question, what about Iowa football in the Iowa vs. Neb series before 2016 should've worried neb fan? My contention is nothing. Nothing up to 2016 indicated Iowa would beat neb consistently or decisively.

No way Iowa wins comfortably.
I agree. There's no way Iowa wins comfortably.

(If you meant, "No way! Iowa wins comfortably!" I would recommend an English class for you. It would really emphasize what you are trying to say.)

Reactions: 5of8VIO_A
It was a very athletic play, for sure. The pass shouldn't have been thrown, but Tommy threw it anyway. For Hesse to convert it into a pick six was quite impressive.

There's definitely a disconnect with some of you, he made a good play to intercept the pass and score, for the love of all that's holy, the ball should've never been thrown, it was an unforced error by TA! If one of you would like to answer the original question, what about Iowa football in the Iowa vs. Neb series before 2016 should've worried neb fan? My contention is nothing. Nothing up to 2016 indicated Iowa would beat neb consistently or decisively.
I haven't read most of the back and forth so I'm not sure what question you're referring to. I think TA thought he had an easy pass and growing lane (it would have been a huge gain). But Hesse made a hell of a play. So either your contention is that a defender should never get credit for making a pick, or you want to keep with the mantra that Nebraska handed that game to Iowa.

I haven't read most of the back and forth so I'm not sure what question you're referring to. I think TA thought he had an easy pass and growing lane (it would have been a huge gain). But Hesse made a hell of a play. So either your contention is that a defender should never get credit for making a pick, or you want to keep with the mantra that Nebraska handed that game to Iowa.
I have no trouble saying Hesse made a great play. I just question the throw. Tommy, throughout his career, made questionable throws. He also made great throws. You just never knew what you would get. I know that's true of every QB, but it seemed to be pretty glaring with Armstrong at times.

Iowa won the game in 2015. I just never felt like Iowa ever put us away. And to be honest, I don't watch Iowa much unless they're playing Nebraska. It sounds like that was a typical Iowa gameplan. It bit Iowa in 2014 against Nebraska when we came from behind, and benefited Iowa in 2015 when you stayed ahead throughout the game. 2016 was just a beat down.

I have no trouble saying Hesse made a great play. I just question the throw. Tommy, throughout his career, made questionable throws. He also made great throws. You just never knew what you would get. I know that's true of every QB, but it seemed to be pretty glaring with Armstrong at times.

Iowa won the game in 2015. I just never felt like Iowa ever put us away. And to be honest, I don't watch Iowa much unless they're playing Nebraska. It sounds like that was a typical Iowa gameplan. It bit Iowa in 2014 against Nebraska when we came from behind, and benefited Iowa in 2015 when you stayed ahead throughout the game. 2016 was just a beat down.
Fair enough. I think Iowa got up after the back to back TDs what, 28-13? and did what Iowa does, tries to run out the clock. Which usually allows a team get close. They did it a few times that season. I believe Illinois got within a TD late as did a couple other teams. I was worried Tommy would start throwing it up in the end zone for TDs like during the comeback in 2014 but Kenny Bell wasn't there.

I'm not sure on college football you can ever have an indication of who is going to take over a series. Even with Iowa winning 3 of 4 and having a lot more returning starters, I have zero confidence going into the game this year.

Once again back to the original point, Iowa fan craves credit for Iowa football from everyone and especially husker fan, and prior to 2016 there was no reason for husker fan to give them the credit they crave. Moving forward, I expect the huskers to continue to win at least 2/3 or more of the games in the series. KF is 3 out 8 against the huskers and the series is tied 3-3 since the huskers joined the B1G. Iowa fan, save your cherry picked stats for the Iowa board.

Reactions: SOHusker11
Once again back to the original point, Iowa fan craves credit for Iowa football from everyone and especially husker fan, and prior to 2016 there was no reason for husker fan to give them the credit they crave. Moving forward, I expect the huskers to continue to win at least 2/3 or more of the games in the series. KF is 3 out 8 against the huskers and the series is tied 3-3 since the huskers joined the B1G. Iowa fan, save your cherry picked stats for the Iowa board.
I still don't know where you're coming from. Without looking it up isn't Kirk 3-5 against Nebraska? I think they played in 1999 and 2000 when Kirk was in year one and two of a 1-10 and 3-9 team.

I still don't know what the original point is that you're talking about. I believe in the post I quoted earlier you said nothing, before winning the last 3/4, happened for any one to expect Iowa winning 3/4. Then you turn around and say you expect Nebraska to win 2/3 or more going forward after quite the opposite has happened the last half decade. Can you clarify please?

Also, I didn't State a fact in the post you quoted so I'm not sure you know where you are right now.

Reactions: E.RogerCoswell
Besides bringing up records from about 20 years ago what do you have to support the claim that Nebraska should win 2/3 of the games from now on?

I think as we've seen since Nebraksa has entered the conference, and seeing both programs are different than they used to be 20 years ago we should see some tough and hard fought games that more than likely will be a pick-em type spread each year.

I still don't know where you're coming from. Without looking it up isn't Kirk 3-5 against Nebraska? I think they played in 1999 and 2000 when Kirk was in year one and two of a 1-10 and 3-9 team.

I still don't know what the original point is that you're talking about. I believe in the post I quoted earlier you said nothing, before winning the last 3/4, happened for any one to expect Iowa winning 3/4. Then you turn around and say you expect Nebraska to win 2/3 or more going forward after quite the opposite has happened the last half decade. Can you clarify please?

Also, I didn't State a fact in the post you quoted so I'm not sure you know where you are right now.
The huskers have won 8 out of 12 or 2/3 of the games against Iowa in the modern era of CFB, post 1970. KF has won 3 out of 8, relevant stat. Huskers have won 3 out of 6 since joining the B1G, relevant stat. The statistic you mention is irrelevant and incomplete and I requested you save it for your buddies on the Iowa board. The results of the 2013 and 2015 games are aberrations IMO due to what was already stated above. The 2016 was the first game in the series that Iowa truly earned some credit from husker fan also my opinion. I respect the game Iowa plays, but find most Iowa fans annoying at best. Rarely does Iowa fan bring a coherent or reasonable argument to the table.

Besides bringing up records from about 20 years ago what do you have to support the claim that Nebraska should win 2/3 of the games from now on?

I think as we've seen since Nebraksa has entered the conference, and seeing both programs are different than they used to be 20 years ago we should see some tough and hard fought games that more than likely will be a pick-em type spread each year.
That's how this works, if you don't like that it doesn't fit your narrative, leave.

Reactions: SOHusker11
That's how this works, if you don't like that it doesn't fit your narrative, leave.
I'm not saying I like it or don't like it I'm looking for some better information than either like it or leave. Above you say Iowa fans don't bring a coherent or reasonable argument to the table and that's the type of response you have?

I'm not saying I like it or don't like it I'm looking for some better information than either like it or leave. Above you say Iowa fans don't bring a coherent or reasonable argument to the table and that's the type of response you have?
Husker history against KF and husker history against Iowa overall is where my opinion is based. Using most recent 4 years as an argument is irrelevant and incomplete. Think about it like this, if isu fan tells you about a four year stretch that favored isu, how much credibility would you give that argument?

The huskers have won 8 out of 12 or 2/3 of the games against Iowa in the modern era of CFB, post 1970. KF has won 3 out of 8, relevant stat. Huskers have won 3 out of 6 since joining the B1G, relevant stat. The statistic you mention is irrelevant and incomplete and I requested you save it for your buddies on the Iowa board. The results of the 2013 and 2015 games are aberrations IMO due to what was already stated above. The 2016 was the first game in the series that Iowa truly earned some credit from husker fan also my opinion. I respect the game Iowa plays, but find most Iowa fans annoying at best. Rarely does Iowa fan bring a coherent or reasonable argument to the table.
2013 and 2015 are aberrations because Kirk is 3-5 against Nebraska since 1999? I don't know that the first two can count because Nebraska was still at the top of college football and Iowa was well, 1-10 and 3-9. You can count them f you want, doesn't bother me.

What about the stat that Mike Reilly is 0-2 against Kirk? I've seen Husker fans state numerous times that it doesn't count because he didn't have his own players. Do you believe in that?

2013 and 2015 are aberrations because Kirk is 3-5 against Nebraska since 1999? I don't know that the first two can count because Nebraska was still at the top of college football and Iowa was well, 1-10 and 3-9. You can count them f you want, doesn't bother me.

What about the stat that Mike Reilly is 0-2 against Kirk? I've seen Husker fans state numerous times that it doesn't count because he didn't have his own players. Do you believe in that?
I've stated my case about 2013 and 2015. What point are you trying to make with MRs record? MRs record counts, however, is a 2 game sample size significant, no.

I've stated my case about 2013 and 2015. What point are you trying to make with MRs record? MRs record counts, however, is a 2 game sample size significant, no.
I just read your post about the past four years being irrelevant to the current series. That's the craziest thing I've probably ever read and I've read some dumb stuff on the Iowa board in Hawkeye/Huskers threads. I'm out.

It was a very athletic play, for sure. The pass shouldn't have been thrown, but Tommy threw it anyway. For Hesse to convert it into a pick six was quite impressive.
I thought the effort on the chop block was more pathetic than TA'S decision to throw it.

That play was designed for TA to dump it down and I'm sure he expected his lineman to make a decent block.

Reactions: cecilB
I just read your post about the past four years being irrelevant to the current series. That's the craziest thing I've probably ever read and I've read some dumb stuff on the Iowa board in Hawkeye/Huskers threads. I'm out.
You're not out, who are you trying to kid. The stat of 3/4 is incomplete at best and IMO irrelevant for the reasons stated above. Take out KFs first two loses and MR first two loses and what do you have? Even you can figure it out neb with a 3 out of 4 advantage.
I presented a case that you evidently cannot argue against, so please just go away. I know most of you Iowa fans crave credit for Iowa football and you're generally POd the huskers took Iowas spot in the pecking order of the B1G, but to answer the question of the thread, no, there is nothing about Iowa athletics that is comparable to Texas athletics.

You're not out, who are you trying to kid. The stat of 3/4 is incomplete at best and IMO irrelevant for the reasons stated above. Take out KFs first two loses and MR first two loses and what do you have? Even you can figure it out neb with a 3 out of 4 advantage.
I presented a case that you evidently cannot argue against, so please just go away. I know most of you Iowa fans crave credit for Iowa football and you're generally POd the huskers took Iowas spot in the pecking order of the B1G, but to answer the question of the thread, no, there is nothing about Iowa athletics that is comparable to Texas athletics.
200w.gif

The weird thing with that game is that Nebraska fans cant live with is that Iowa didnt have to pass or run plays or _____ to win it. There was never a time in that game where it was really in question or Nebraska had put a ton of pressure on them. Hell, I dont think there was a time that whole season that Iowa wasnt in control of the game up until the BT Title game. That is why the stats were like they were.

Biggest play of the game was King recovering McCarons fumble on the KO return after Neb had scored. Iowa scores on the next play and the game is officially in salt mode.

This is embarassing. Iowa won. We didnt.
Get better and beat their ass the way Nebraska should.

The weird thing with that game is that Nebraska fans cant live with is that Iowa didnt have to pass or run plays or _____ to win it. There was never a time in that game where it was really in question or Nebraska had put a ton of pressure on them. Hell, I dont think there was a time that whole season that Iowa wasnt in control of the game up until the BT Title game. That is why the stats were like they were.

Biggest play of the game was King recovering McCarons fumble on the KO return after Neb had scored. Iowa scores on the next play and the game is officially in salt mode.
Nebraska would have gotten whipped that day by most of the teams they beat earlier in the season.

Reactions: cecilB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT