ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Minnesota

Whether it was the right call or not, according to the rule it was, the ref should of call the play dead as soon as Cooper fielded the punt. But They did not and was only review because all TDs can be review.
It is explicitly a reviewable play.
I have no doubt an idiotic nonsense rule was technically applied "correctly" and I look forward to learning more each week about esoteric rules that have never been called before except by Big 10 refs when it decides the outcome of the game
You must not watch much football. It's not called frequently, but it does come up periodically. In fact, it was called in a game earlier in the day (Tennessee vs Alabama). That one was even weirder, because the guy who fielded the ball wasn't even the one who made the signal.

Edit: to correct Georgia to Alabama.

Last edited:
I’m surprised the invalid fair catch signal call was reviewable. If the flag had been thrown as DeJean took off running, I think the call is defensible. But from the replay booth?
It is reviewable under two sections:

Rule 12.3.3.C Live ball not ruled dead in possession of ball carrier
Rule 12.3.4.G Receiving team advancing after a fair catch signal

Since this was a live ball that should have been ruled dead due to an invalid fair catch signal, It is reviewable.

Wait, what? I don’t think it ever went above his shoulders. How was it clearly above his head? He is waving his arms for his players to get away from the ball like every punt returner ever. Just odd if that is in fact a rule.
Rule 2.8.ARTICLE 3. An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:

So any waving of the arms deprives the return team of the opportunity to advance the ball.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Rule 2.8.ARTICLE 3. An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:

So any waving of the arms deprives the return team of the opportunity to advance the ball.
Oh, but he wasn't waiving his arms. He was just trying to keep his balance. Lol.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Here's the relevant rule. You can see that the Invalid Signal rule refers to "any waving signal" with no need to be above the head or shoulder.

Valid Signal
ARTICLE 2.
A valid signal is a signal given by a player of Team B who has obviously signaled his intention by extending one hand only clearly above his head and waving that hand from side to side of his body more than once.
Invalid Signal
ARTICLE 3.
An invalid signal is any waving signal by a player of Team B:
  1. That does not meet the requirements of Article 2 (above); or
  2. That is given after a scrimmage kick is caught beyond the neutral zone, strikes the ground or touches another player beyond the neutral zone (A.R. 6-5-3-III-V); or
  3. That is given after a free kick is caught, strikes the ground or touches another player. [Exception: Rule 6-4-1-f]
Fair catch signals are also explicitly reviewable per Rule 12, article 4g (page 115 here):
Kicks
ARTICLE 4. Reviewable plays involving kicks include:
a. Touching of a kick.
b. Player beyond the neutral zone when kicking the ball.
c. Kicking team player advancing a ball after a potential muffed kick/fumble by the receiving team.
d. Scrimmage kick crossing the neutral zone.
e. Blocking by players of the kicking team before they are eligible to touch the ball on an on-side kick.
f. A player touching or recovering a kick or loose ball who is or has been out of bounds during the kick.
g. Receiving team advancing after a fair catch signal

The NFL rule does include the above the shoulder part, which might explain some of the confusion.
This is the rule you guys are using to say the right call was made? It clearly says what the Iowa player did was an invalid fair catch signal. The player would therefore lose the protections of the fair catch rule, but there is nothing about that says a player cannot advance the ball after an invalid fair catch signal or that an invalid fair catch signal is reviewable. Don't be a stickler for details and go by the letter of the law unless you are going to go all the way with it. Or show us the rest of the rule that describes the other claims you are making because the above rule is not enough.

This is the rule you guys are using to say the right call was made? It clearly says what the Iowa player did was an invalid fair catch signal. The player would therefore lose the protections of the fair catch rule, but there is nothing about that says a player cannot advance the ball after an invalid fair catch signal or that an invalid fair catch signal is reviewable. Don't be a stickler for details and go by the letter of the law unless you are going to go all the way with it. Or show us the rest of the rule that describes the other claims you are making because the above rule is not enough.
If you read the link, you'll find this additional information above which tells you the impact of the signal. I didn't include it in the original post since it was already long and I didn't think this part was in dispute. Emphasis mine.

Fair Catch
ARTICLE 1.
  1. A fair catch of a scrimmage kick is a catch beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player who has made a valid signal during a scrimmage kick that is untouched beyond the neutral zone.
  2. A fair catch of a free kick is a catch by a player of Team B who has made a valid signal during an untouched free kick.
  3. A valid or invalid fair catch signal deprives the receiving team of the opportunity to advance the ball. The ball is declared dead at the spot of the catch or recovery or at the spot of the signal if the catch precedes the signal.
  4. If the receiver shades his eyes from the sun without waving his hand(s), the ball is live and may be advanced.

Texas got 1 second put back on the clock in 2009 against NU that directly led to NU losing the conference title that year. You ain't gonna get much sympathy about dumb calls in here.

Wait, what? I don’t think it ever went above his shoulders. How was it clearly above his head? He is waving his arms for his players to get away from the ball like every punt returner ever. Just odd if that is in fact a rule.
Yep, left hand is very fair catchy. It's a shame they make those sick kids watch this garbage.

If you read the link, you'll find this additional information above which tells you the impact of the signal. I didn't include it in the original post since it was already long and I didn't think this part was in dispute. Emphasis mine.

Fair Catch
ARTICLE 1.
  1. A fair catch of a scrimmage kick is a catch beyond the neutral zone by a Team B player who has made a valid signal during a scrimmage kick that is untouched beyond the neutral zone.
  2. A fair catch of a free kick is a catch by a player of Team B who has made a valid signal during an untouched free kick.
  3. A valid or invalid fair catch signal deprives the receiving team of the opportunity to advance the ball. The ball is declared dead at the spot of the catch or recovery or at the spot of the signal if the catch precedes the signal.
  4. If the receiver shades his eyes from the sun without waving his hand(s), the ball is live and may be advanced.

I see the "any waving signal" and would argue it is overly broad. In distinguishing between valid and invalid fair catch signals, it should be clear there is an attempt to signal a fair catch, which the Iowa player was not doing. Also if you want to go by the letter of the law, "waving" is NOT the same as "pointing and circling". These are different motions. If you want to be a stickler then go all the way with it. It was plain to everyone he was not attempting a fair catch signal, so I don't understand the glee that some are showing in being able to have a "gotcha" on the best play of the day in any game. The refs inserted themselves into a game and ruined the best ending of the day.

Last edited:
The player would therefore lose the protections of the fair catch rule, but there is nothing about that says a player cannot advance the ball after an invalid fair catch signal or that an invalid fair catch signal is reviewable. Don't be a stickler for details and go by the letter of the law unless you are going to go all the way with it. Or show us the rest of the rule that describes the other claims you are making because the above rule is not enough.
So, he did exactly what you asked and showed you the rest of the rule (that you clearly did not know), and you're still not satisfied?

What was the point of demanding to see the rest of rule, if you're just going to keep bawling about the call?

Last edited:
I see the "any waving signal" and would argue it is overly broad. In distinguishing between valid and invalid fair catch signals, it should be clear there is an attempt to signal a fair catch, which the Iowa player was not doing. Also if you want to go by the letter of the law, "waving" is NOT the same as "pointing and circling". These are different motions. If you want to be a stickler then go all the way with it. It was plain to everyone he was not attempting a fair catch signal, so I don't understand the glee that some are showing in being able to have a "gotcha" on the best play of the day in any game. The refs inserted themselves into a game and ruined the best ending of the day.
If what you say is true then reconcile the subsequent (and different) statements by Dejean and Kirk.

He wasn't signaling a fair catch, no, he was trying to keep his balance.

He wasn't signaling a fair catch, no, he was pointing out to his teammates (who had their backs to him) where the ball was.

It's usually best to leave intent out of it - do you really want referees deciding what a player meant by their arm motions? I understand your complaint that circling is not waving (not sure I agree, but it's a defensible stance), but it's not really possible to define every possible arm motion within the rules. Returners should be coached not to make any unnatural arm motions except for valid fair catch signals.

It's usually best to leave intent out of it - do you really want referees deciding what a player meant by their arm motions? I understand your complaint that circling is not waving (not sure I agree, but it's a defensible stance), but it's not really possible to define every possible arm motion within the rules. Returners should be coached not to make any unnatural arm motions except for valid fair catch signals.
Correct. It doesn't matter if the arm motion looks anything like a fair catch signal, it still nullifies any opportunity to return the punt. I've seen returners making the baseball "safe" signal with their arms down by their waist, and the refs still blew the play dead where the ball was fielded.

I do think the refs effed up by letting the play continue, and I can understand Iowa fans being upset about that. But it's hilarious to see so many of them whining about the rule, when they clearly didn't even know it existed until Saturday afternoon.

Hey ref - I did not INTEND to jump offside. I did not INTEND to grab his facemask. I did not INTEND to hold that other guy. Yes - intent is not really part of the equation.

It is remarkable to me that anyone of sound mind can argue against the call that was made. It is absolutely the correct application of the various rules in play.

It IS fair to criticize the game officials for not immediately blowing the play dead. However, THAT'S WHY WE HAVE REPLAY. It's designed to remedy correctable errors.

So, he did exactly what you asked and showed you the rest of the rule (that you clearly did not know), and you're still not satisfied?

What was the point of demanding to see the rest of rule, if you're just going to keep bawling about the call?
Because there were more problems with what was being said the more he showed me

If what you say is true then reconcile the subsequent (and different) statements by Dejean and Kirk.

He wasn't signaling a fair catch, no, he was pointing out to his teammates (who had their backs to him) where the ball was.
bump

Intent is built into the rule and I didn't put it there. Saying the words "invalid fair catch signal" implies a person was trying to signal a fair catch. If you want to say there is either a fair catch signal or not and leave out intent, then I am in agreement. In this case, there was no fair catch signal.

Trying to keep his balance is the most laughable thing I heard next to KF saying it's his running motion. I your name BF?

Intent is built into the rule and I didn't put it there. Saying the words "invalid fair catch signal" implies a person was trying to signal a fair catch. If you want to say there is either a fair catch signal or not and leave out intent, then I am in agreement. In this case, there was no fair catch signal.
No. "Invalid" means "not meeting the conditions of a valid fair catch signal." Intent is not mentioned or involved in the rule. The rule is "any waving signal," not "any waving signal intended to indicate a fair catch."

I know that you very badly want this call to have been wrong. It is painful to lose a game due to a call that seems unfair or unnecessary or inconsistent, and most of us in your position would desperately want the validation of righteous aggrievement. The referees missed the call initially and you thought your team had won. I've been there.

But the review was right and proper as defined by the rules. The final call was right as dictated by the rules. By the rules, Minnesota would have lost unjustly were the play allowed to stand. Ultimately we all want fair contests that are played and officiated by the rules. If you don't, and you'd rather the rules had been discarded so that your team could win, that's fine, but you probably shouldn't go looking for sympathy and agreement from fans of other teams who don't have that same preference.

Saying the words "invalid fair catch signal" implies a person was trying to signal a fair catch.
No, it doesn't mean that at all. You would know this, if you had any Earthly idea what you are talking about.

Invalid fair catch signal just means a player on the receiving team (doesn't even have to be the return man, by the way) made arm movements that could possibly be mistaken for a fair catch signal, but don't qualify as a valid fair catch signal. This includes "get away" signals, "safe" signals, etc.

DeJean clearly did that - I don't know how anyone with two eyes could say otherwise.

Initially, he got away with it. And I was frankly surprised the rule was enforced upon review. But if the refs had simply blown the play dead where DeJean fielded the ball, this wouldn't even be controversial.

Reactions: opie12 and OzzyLvr
No, it doesn't mean that at all. You would know this, if you had any Earthly idea what you are talking about.

Invalid fair catch signal just means a player on the receiving team (doesn't even have to be the return man, by the way) made arm movements that could possibly be mistaken for a fair catch signal, but don't qualify as a valid fair catch signal. This includes "get away" signals, "safe" signals, etc.

DeJean clearly did that - I don't know how anyone with two eyes could say otherwise.

Initially, he got away with it. And I was frankly surprised the rule was enforced upon review. But if the refs had simply blown the play dead where DeJean fielded the ball, this wouldn't even be controversial.
No one could have confused his motions for a fair catch call. Not a single person thought he was trying to fair catch it.

No. "Invalid" means "not meeting the conditions of a valid fair catch signal." Intent is not mentioned or involved in the rule. The rule is "any waving signal," not "any waving signal intended to indicate a fair catch."

I know that you very badly want this call to have been wrong. It is painful to lose a game due to a call that seems unfair or unnecessary or inconsistent, and most of us in your position would desperately want the validation of righteous aggrievement. The referees missed the call initially and you thought your team had won. I've been there.

But the review was right and proper as defined by the rules. The final call was right as dictated by the rules. By the rules, Minnesota would have lost unjustly were the play allowed to stand. Ultimately we all want fair contests that are played and officiated by the rules. If you don't, and you'd rather the rules had been discarded so that your team could win, that's fine, but you probably shouldn't go looking for sympathy and agreement from fans of other teams who don't have that same preference.
Just to be clear I hate Iowa.
I also hate referees interfering too much with games even more. They should be invisible, not the story of the game like Big 10 refs love to be
Except for the person/people in the replay office that had the rule book and loads of experience.
They never said they were actually confused. Nobody was confused. They just had the opportunity and took it.

No one could have confused his motions for a fair catch call. Not a single person thought he was trying to fair catch it.
How do you know that? Did you poll the Minnesota punt team?

The rule is written this way because nobody can expect a player sprinting downfield in punt coverage to figure out why someone on the return team is waving his arm around. Whether DeJean deceived anyone or not, he clearly violated the rule. He would do himself a favor by just admitting he didn't know the rule, instead of making up ridiculous stories about trying to keep his balance.

So he was waiving his arm just to try to keep his balance as Ferentz said?
Why don't we ask the kid. It is pretty obvious he was signaling to other players where the ball was landing, which if it isn't legal, should be legal, since nobody in their right mind could confuse that with a fair catch signal. You guys just love the technicality of the rule, but if you want to get technical, the rule is a "wave" and he never waved.

How do you know that? Did you poll the Minnesota punt team?

The rule is written this way because nobody can expect a player sprinting downfield in punt coverage to figure out why someone on the return team is waving his arm around. Whether DeJean deceived anyone or not, he clearly violated the rule. He would do himself a favor by just admitting he didn't know the rule, instead of making up ridiculous stories about trying to keep his balance.
Maybe I could believe that if he was waving his arm instead of pointing and circling a radius where he thought the ball would land

Maybe I could believe that if he was waving his arm instead of pointing and circling a radius where he thought the ball would land
So a gunner running downfield in punt coverage is supposed to see DeJean and conclude, "He's not calling for a fair catch. He's just making a circle with his left arm for some other reason altogether!"

Seems reasonable.

Reactions: Huskers123456
So a gunner running downfield in punt coverage is supposed to see DeJean and conclude, "He's not calling for a fair catch. He's just making a circle with his left arm for some other reason altogether!"

Seems reasonable.
It is in my opinion. Take the guess work out. Have a universal fair catch signal. If you don't see it, go ahead and smoke the returner. It is the returners job to protect himself by signaling clearly. Everyone is happy and it takes the refs out of the game (of course they won't like that!)

Why don't we ask the kid. It is pretty obvious he was signaling to other players where the ball was landing, which if it isn't legal, should be legal, since nobody in their right mind could confuse that with a fair catch signal. You guys just love the technicality of the rule, but if you want to get technical, the rule is a "wave" and he never waved.
Watch the video that I posted above. He pointed with one hand and waived with his other hand. No need to ask him because it was obvious what he did. And he would probably just lie like his coach did.

Reactions: opie12
You truly have no way of knowing this.
Just to be clear I hate Iowa.
My mistake. I hate to wrongly accuse anyone of being an Iowa fan, so I am sorry for that.
Why don't we ask the kid. It is pretty obvious he was signaling to other players where the ball was landing, which if it isn't legal, should be legal, since nobody in their right mind could confuse that with a fair catch signal.
See, this is the problem, because he's obviously signaling something, and it's not incumbent on the coverage team to ascertain what that is.
You guys just love the technicality of the rule
Guilty. Football is a game of rules and technicalities. Its whole history is of gaps and exploited loopholes in the rules that football fans/players/coaches then decided we either liked (and added as official rules) or disliked (and disallowed as part of the official rules). The forward pass evolved from a technicality. A football fan who doesn't like technicalities is like a swimmer who hates water or a legislator who doesn't believe in government.
but if you want to get technical, the rule is a "wave" and he never waved.
Clearly there's some disagreement on this, because many people might say that winding your arm around does, in fact, constitute a "waving" motion. It's not feasible to define by rule what exactly is and isn't "waving," so it's best for returners to just avoid making gestures outside of calling for a fair catch if they're planning to field a ball. This only comes up a handful of times out of thousands of punts in a given season, so somehow most seem to be managing.
Take the guess work out. Have a universal fair catch signal. If you don't see it, go ahead and smoke the returner. It is the returners job to protect himself by signaling clearly. Everyone is happy and it takes the refs out of the game (of course they won't like that!)
I could get on board with this rule, but it probably wouldn't fit in this era of "player safety." As for the refs not liking it, I have to think you don't know many officials. They generally hate ambiguity because it makes their jobs hard.

It is in my opinion. Take the guess work out. Have a universal fair catch signal. If you don't see it, go ahead and smoke the returner. It is the returners job to protect himself by signaling clearly. Everyone is happy and it takes the refs out of the game (of course they won't like that!)
The only change I would make to the rule is this:

When the ref who first sees a player from the receiving team wave his arm or make a gesture that violates the rule, he should throw his hat (like when a receiver steps out of bounds). This would allow the play to continue but give everyone a heads up that the punt can no longer be returned.

Wouldn't really change the rule, which is fine as-is. But it might reduce the conspiracy theories.

Reactions: jkeb
The important thing is that they took a lot of time to get it right instead of relying on one referee to make a call, who may or may not have a solid grasp on the rule.

Correct. It doesn't matter if the arm motion looks anything like a fair catch signal, it still nullifies any opportunity to return the punt. I've seen returners making the baseball "safe" signal with their arms down by their waist, and the refs still blew the play dead where the ball was fielded.

I do think the refs effed up by letting the play continue, and I can understand Iowa fans being upset about that. But it's hilarious to see so many of them whining about the rule, when they clearly didn't even know it existed until Saturday afternoon.
Thank you! Gophers vs Eastern Michigan

The real crime here was having that game televised on NBC. Games like that should be reserved strictly for BTN, FS2, ESPN2, or better yet some obscure streaming service.
As a Gopher fan that was more than happy to get the W, I agree. That was a stinky game. I do give some credit to the defenses. They played well. Both offenses were brutal.

They say "any waving signal" to cover any intention of spoofing the kicking team into thinking it's a fair catch. Think of the Kenny Pickett's fake slide last year, it caused the rule book to be re-written to prevent it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT