ADVERTISEMENT

Improvement

Cloud@Heart

Senior
Aug 13, 2005
Helena, MT
The biggest improvement is supposed to be from 1st game to the second........ Huskers had a bye week, which is also supposed to be beneficial (injuries?Stoll?). What do you think Frost and company learned from the game against the buckeyes and what did they do over the last 5 practices to improve?

On offense, what formations and series will they grow upon? What formations and play calls will be eliminated or tweaked?

On defense, what personnel groupings and rotations were more productive? What situations did the D struggle with that will be shored up by Saturday?

The biggest improvement is supposed to be from 1st game to the second........ Huskers had a bye week, which is also supposed to be beneficial (injuries?Stoll?). What do you think Frost and company learned from the game against the buckeyes and what did they do over the last 5 practices to improve?

On offense, what formations and series will they grow upon? What formations and play calls will be eliminated or tweaked?

On defense, what personnel groupings and rotations were more productive? What situations did the D struggle with that will be shored up by Saturday?
To me it is defensive backs, in particular, cushion by the corners and over the top help by the safeties. Of course, pressuring the quarterback helps each of those aspects immensely. We gave way too much cushion to the OSU WRs; maybe Chins felt it necessary to avoid long completions, but we just made it too easy for them to complete 8-10-15 yard throws. When OSU did throw deep, the safeties were chronically late to help out, IMO due to some very poor angles. Peyton Ramsey is a good player. We gotta get to him and cover well.

I want to see some more of both QBs without fumbling....
I want to see blitz packages that work, and the 3-4 is designed to do just that....
I want to see play action passes work because the OLine is kicking ass.....
I want to see defensive backs in press coverage and challenge the ball, break on the ball, intercept a few balls....
I want to see team speed contribute on both sides of the ball to a convincing road win!

I think the DBs will be better this week. Hopefully the WRs show up. The McCaffrey gimmick plays can not be a regular thing. No fumbles by AM and no stupid drive killing penalties.

Reactions: Cloud@Heart

Problem is just like the Akron/sCUm game there's a disperancy between teams.

I want to see some more of both QBs without fumbling....
I want to see blitz packages that work, and the 3-4 is designed to do just that....
I want to see play action passes work because the OLine is kicking ass.....
I want to see defensive backs in press coverage and challenge the ball, break on the ball, intercept a few balls....
I want to see team speed contribute on both sides of the ball to a convincing road win!
You forgot great play from special teams 😉

Luke’s main yardage came on the first run. Once OSU saw it they mostly stopped it. Every team will be looking for it now. If he is the best QB than play him at QB.
Sure...I am just saying that if you run plays over and over they are no longer gimmack plays.

You ever get back look me up we’ll have a beer or two, I promise no politics talk

I am nervous but very excited. I think this game is HUGE for us. I think we will see a better secondary, our athletes are simply much better. Omar got another week of practice in and I think we see him on the field a lot. I believe we will win this one. The score may be closer than we like but I think we definitely out play them.
GBR

Reactions: BleedRed78
Good news is we have 2 games of film on NW to plan for they have one... the bye week does help us as for practices we missed and giving us 2 weeks to prepare for NW.. they are beat up at wr and if we can be stout against the run against these guys we will force them to pass and win this by 10+

Good news is we have 2 games of film on NW to plan for they have one... the bye week does help us as for practices we missed and giving us 2 weeks to prepare for NW.. they are beat up at wr and if we can be stout against the run against these guys we will force them to pass and win this by 10+

I would also like to see Manning, Brown or Fleming start getting some valuable playing time, mostly Manning which might free up Wan’Dale more..

I agree, and I doubt our game plan is anything like the OSU game.

There was ZERO guarantee we'd have beaten UW even without Mertz. They've mashed on us with that run game since we came into the league. And I didn't see a reason to believe NU would have lit up the scoreboard on them to nullify the run game and force them to play from behind.

Even if we won, it would have been a physical, wearing contest. Avoiding that game may turn out to be a blessing for NU if they can rattle off some wins.

NW game will be what it always is: Nebraska should be more talented, but can they be more disciplined? That's the #1 area I'm still waiting to see improvement. When will our guys and our play calls get the stupid out?

They need an identity of: Mills is going to hammer on you, THEN after that QB run game, then screen/jet/cute shit game, then play-action game. The offensive play calling was all over the place against OSU and I get the desire to "throw out the game plan" against an opponent like that.

At some point you need to identify something you intend to do well and focus on doing it. NU hasn't achieved that yet under Frost.

We sound like a middle/high school program.
“Hey guys you should be proud that you improved“

Don’t get me wrong I do think we have improved. But I hate we forget we are a Nebraska football and our standards have dropped so much. This is a results business. Time to start getting results.

There was ZERO guarantee we'd have beaten UW even without Mertz. They've mashed on us with that run game since we came into the league. And I didn't see a reason to believe NU would have lit up the scoreboard on them to nullify the run game and force them to play from behind.

Even if we won, it would have been a physical, wearing contest. Avoiding that game may turn out to be a blessing for NU if they can rattle off some wins.

NW game will be what it always is: Nebraska should be more talented, but can they be more disciplined? That's the #1 area I'm still waiting to see improvement. When will our guys and our play calls get the stupid out?

They need an identity of: Mills is going to hammer on you, THEN after that QB run game, then screen/jet/cute shit game, then play-action game. The offensive play calling was all over the place against OSU and I get the desire to "throw out the game plan" against an opponent like that.

At some point you need to identify something you intend to do well and focus on doing it. NU hasn't achieved that yet under Frost.

I agree with you thoughts on Wisconsin, but this is the first year in a long time that I don't feel like they have an unreal stable of backs. They have some ok pieces, but not the talent they normally have. Their LB's kind of follow suit and I wasn't as impressed with their line. You do have to give them benefit of the doubt because of history, but I did feel ok about us competing and possibly winning that game.

Reactions: BleedRed78
We sound like a middle/high school program.
“Hey guys you should be proud that you improved“

Don’t get me wrong I do think we have improved. But I hate we forget we are a Nebraska football and our standards have dropped so much. This is a results business. Time to start getting results.
I don't think we've forgotten, but pretty much everyone else has. It's definitely frustrating to be stuck for years at a point of "Just stop beating yourselves and then maybe we can worry about beating somebody else."

I don't believe bye weeks are beneficial.. while it can help get guys healed, it can also screw up timing on offense in particular. We could look like week 1 again as far as WR timing and such.

Reactions: CatColumbia

If osu diddt have their qb run game and 'cute' game, we would have beaten them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT