ADVERTISEMENT

First Game Grades

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
QB - D- - I won't go the full F because he did provide some things with his legs, but he's got to be better. WR's also have to help him out a little more, but hopefully Satterfield can get him to adjust.

RB - C- The part I liked is they all seemed to be going straight ahead this year. Not a lot of dancing, and getting upfield. All of the backs broke some tackles. Just keep chipping away.

OL - C- - I actually think there was a little improvement here. Benhart still is pretty bad, but Sims needs to help these guys out a little bit.

TE - C- - Seemed to block ok, but they were on the milk carton outside of that.

DL - B- -Outside of the pass rush they held up well. The youngsters held their own and I thought Nash and TRob (until the penalty) controlled their area

LB - A- -They made the plays they were supposed to. I thought all of them looked pretty damn good.

Secondary - B - Played pretty salty the entire game. Our safeties are dudes. The corners are good too and just had a couple minor breakdowns.

ST - B+ -Decent. Great kick return, seemed to be good on coverage. Made the only FG and Buschini was good

Offense - D+
Defense - B
ST - B+

The other good things were just the number of players that got on the field. This is going to go a long way in rebuilding. A lot of people saw the field last night and that is a positive.

Final thought - Still have no idea how that was not a TD right before half. Screw job.

QB gets an F. 3 picks against a Minnesota defense? It's going to be a long year especially against any team with a pulse.
Sims did some good things with his legs. They rode him too much and he made multiple terrible throws. Same throws he made at GT. I give him a D bc that.

Reactions: Dylman
I agree game management was poor. A timeout was called early in the 2nd quarter when it should not have been, in my opinion. If they have 2 timeouts remaining in those final seconds before half instead of just one, there is a much better chance of getting the touchdown.

Of course, the touchdown had already been scored on the play where they botched the review…

Reactions: BleedRed78
Can't help but wonder why Washington sat the 1st half if healthy enough to play??? Also did I miss something during camp in regards to Janiran Bonner??? Thought he was really coming on an was going to be kind of multi tool that could have helped a little more in both the run and pass game...

Last edited:
Sims has got to stop messaging his throws, all 3 of his picks were preventable, if he's stops staring the targets down. That's his kryptonite, until that's fixed, he's a huge liability. Rushing: B+, Passing: F

O-Line is not fixed, they played better as a team, however there are weaknesses, and someone has to be better than Benhart. Minny was aggressive on defense and the 2nd half Huskers took advantage of their pursuit, but the turnovers took the air out of their sails. OL: D+ Last year: F-

Defense as a whole play better than I anticipated, only a few things to clean up. The Defense got better as the game progressed! Limiting Minny's rushing to 55 yards is an accomplishment, considering that was supposed to be their strength on Offense. Their passing game is clearly their strength.

Reactions: H2M
QB - D- - I won't go the full F because he did provide some things with his legs, but he's got to be better. WR's also have to help him out a little more, but hopefully Satterfield can get him to adjust.

RB - C- The part I liked is they all seemed to be going straight ahead this year. Not a lot of dancing, and getting upfield. All of the backs broke some tackles. Just keep chipping away.

OL - C- - I actually think there was a little improvement here. Benhart still is pretty bad, but Sims needs to help these guys out a little bit.

TE - C- - Seemed to block ok, but they were on the milk carton outside of that.

DL - B- -Outside of the pass rush they held up well. The youngsters held their own and I thought Nash and TRob (until the penalty) controlled their area

LB - A- -They made the plays they were supposed to. I thought all of them looked pretty damn good.

Secondary - B - Played pretty salty the entire game. Our safeties are dudes. The corners are good too and just had a couple minor breakdowns.

ST - B+ -Decent. Great kick return, seemed to be good on coverage. Made the only FG and Buschini was good

Offense - D+
Defense - B
ST - B+

The other good things were just the number of players that got on the field. This is going to go a long way in rebuilding. A lot of people saw the field last night and that is a positive.

Final thought - Still have no idea how that was not a TD right before half. Screw job.
Boy, you are a glass is totally full kind of person. I give our offensive line an F. No push in the run game, and if you cant get a push at least open up lanes, hell we cant even do that. That is why Sims was the leading rusher.

Can't help but wonder why Washington sat the 1st half if healthy enough to play??? Also did I miss something during camp in regards to Janiran Bonner??? Thought he was really coming on an was going to be kind of multi tool that could have helped a little more in both the run and pass game...
Washington was suspended the first half for summer grades.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Boy, you are a glass is totally full kind of person. I give our offensive line an F. No push in the run game, and if you cant get a push at least open up lanes, hell we cant even do that. That is why Sims was the leading rusher.
I'm just not choosing to lose my mind yet. People forget this is the first game of a new coach. We have pissed and moaned at how awful were were for the last 3 years and we actually had a chance to win. We are irrational as fans thinking that game 1 was going to be perfect. It sucks and it hurts, for sure, but I did take a way quite a few positives especially on the defensive end. I love that we are playing so many guys and that basically you couldn't tell a drop off. I think Tony White deserves some credit. Their TE who is really damn good basically did nothing. They couldn't run it and basically needed huge momentum shifts and just small breakdowns to get to where they are. I said in another post, I will take holding teams to 13, which probably should have been 3, all year long. It will give us opportunities to win. I might have different thoughts next week if we don't show improvement, but I'm not prepared to lose my mind game 1.

There was a lane open, unfortunately Grant decided to carry the ball like a junior high back through it.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT