ADVERTISEMENT

Wide receivers

inWV

Assistant Head Coach
Sep 22, 2007
Betts is gone, Washington dinged up a bit. WR room getting thin. Why am I not worried.
1. If Gilbert gets the waiver, NU has three excellent TEs that will play.
2. NU intends to play a FB/H-back and could be in such a personnel grouping as much as a third of the time in some B1G games. NU will be also using Bonner and Fidone in a flex alignment.
3. NU has Kemp, Washington, and Fleeks who have taken snaps in multiple P5 games. Kemp appears to be very productive. IGC can also play and one/both of Bullock and Hahn will also be competent to take reps. Would be nice if one of the fast freshman could be ready as an option to stretch the field a bit.
Given the presence of a FB and multiple talented TEs, NU could spend a number of downs in 22, 21 or 12 personnel. The leading three receivers will likely be Kemp, Fidone and Washington in that order. The X factor remains how good Sims will be, not the mix of kids he will throw to.

Betts is gone, Washington dinged up a bit. WR room getting thin. Why am I not worried.
2. NU intends to play a FB/H-back and could be in such a personnel grouping as much as a third of the time in some B1G games. NU will be also using Bonner and Fidone in a flex alignment.
3. NU has Kemp, Washington, and Fleeks who have taken snaps in multiple P5 games. Kemp appears to be very productive. IGC can also play and one/both of Bullock and Hahn will also be competent to take reps. Would be nice if one of the fast freshman could be ready as an option to stretch the field a bit.
Given the presence of a FB and multiple talented TEs, NU could spend a number of downs in 22, 21 or 12 personnel. The leading three receivers will likely be Kemp, Fidone and Washington in that order. The X factor remains how good Sims will be, not the mix of kids he will throw to.
I think they are holding Washington back on purpose and someone said he will be ready for MN. Can't remember if it was McGuire, Satterfield, or Rhule.

I would be surprised if Fidone has more catches than Washington.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
I do like your optimism. But there is a lot of ifs and buts in there. Gilbert still hasn't been granted his waiver. Even though Rhule should play him regardless since the NCAA is a bunch of spineless cowards that got rich of these kids backs. He struggled with stone hands in the spring game. Hoping that was a mix of rust and nerves. But I hope we get a chance to see. Fidone an athletic specimen who as of right now is just potential. Unfortunately haven't stayed healthy to see if he lives up to the hype. This offense needs him too. Fleeks came in out of shape and was sent home. He is back already. Will he be a difference maker? I sure hope so. I feel we need to have a freshman step up to strengthen that room.

I’m glad you mentioned Bonner. He gets forgotten about when talking about WRs. He’s a former 4 star WR and can be used in a lot of different ways.

I do like your optimism. But there is a lot of ifs and buts in there. Gilbert still hasn't been granted his waiver. Even though Rhule should play him regardless since the NCAA is a bunch of spineless cowards that got rich of these kids backs. He struggled with stone hands in the spring game. Hoping that was a mix of rust and nerves. But I hope we get a chance to see. Fidone an athletic specimen who as of right now is just potential. Unfortunately haven't stayed healthy to see if he lives up to the hype. This offense needs him too. Fleeks came in out of shape and was sent home. He is back already. Will he be a difference maker? I sure hope so. I feel we need to have a freshman step up to strengthen that room.
I like the upside of our freshman over Fleeks. He really has been a non-factor his career. If he plays here, kind of feels like it shows the talent gap we have. Plus he came to camp out of shape. How serious is this dude? Feel like he’s got a scholarship cause his BFF is his position coach

It seems as though Doss is the frosh they think has the best chance to contribute early.

I like the upside of our freshman over Fleeks. He really has been a non-factor his career. If he plays here, kind of feels like it shows the talent gap we have. Plus he came to camp out of shape. How serious is this dude? Feel like he’s got a scholarship cause his BFF is his position coach
He averaged about 2.5 catches per game in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. He'll be holding up his end of the bargain if he does that at NU.

I think they are holding Washington back on purpose and someone said he will be ready for MN. Can't remember if it was McGuire, Satterfield, or Rhule.

Fidone is gonna get a ton of targets.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I agree with some concerns over depth, but that’s the name of the game in football. Injuries are a given every year for every team.
It’s critical to have that depth ready to play.

That’s even more difficult in a transition year like this, but all things considered Rhule’s roster is not looking terrible on paper.
At the same time, there’s very little in proven commodities (successful at a level that can beat bottom of B1G) with this crew. It’s mostly all just potential at this point.

I’ve been excited about Fidone since he committed to us two years ago and it’s been unfortunate that he has has set backs but believe he’s ready for a break out year and will be a big part of this offense..

I’m not going sleep on Doss and Coleman eventually they will make impacts down the road..

One or two more injuries would be cause for concern. I think it goes Kemp, Wash, Fidone, IGC and Fleeks for catches. All those guys except Fidone have a lot of experience, all more than Betts and I think we’ll be fine.

I’m not sold on Fidone getting a ton of targets until he proves he still has route running quickness, but we’ll see him bust open a few big plays in bad coverage or catching guys by surprise with his top end speed.

It sucks because we would’ve scored more overall points with Betts as he was the clear cut big play guy in that room, but the guys we have are solid experienced pass catchers who will do what this offense asks of them.

I agree that there is a lot of talent in that room. And over time I think they are going to prove to be a real strength on the team. However, my question is (and it is an honest one since I do not know) do we have a receiver who can stretch the field and make a big play or two in every game like Toure and Palmer did for us? We need the threat of the deep ball to keep the safeties honest and off of the line of scrimmage in run support. That catch by Palmer against Iowa last year happened precisely because the safety covering him bit on play action and that was all it took. And that broke that game open for us early in the game and set the tone. We need a guy like that to emerge.

Reactions: huntered
The only thing Fidone has shown is how to get injured and miss the season. There is no way in the world anyone can realistically say he's going to perform X amount. He has proven absolutely nothing.
Are you OK? It's got to be miserable to go through life with a half full attitude.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
Are you OK? It's got to be miserable to go through life with a half full attitude.
Half full? It's more of a realistic perspective. What's misguided are those people that claim projected performance without facts.

Example 1: Betts is back! Misguided - He's gonna tear it up. Fact - he's gone... AGAIN.

Example 2: Fidone committed! Misguided - he's gonna be allamerica and start Day 1. Fact - it's Year 3 and he hasn't played a down.

Same process with all of the new head coaches. The misguided, rose colored glasses are what gets people bent out of shape when shit gets sideways.

Half full? It's more of a realistic perspective. What's misguided are those people that claim projected performance without facts.

Example 1: Betts is back! Misguided - He's gonna tear it up. Fact - he's gone... AGAIN.

Example 2: Fidone committed! Misguided - he's gonna be allamerica and start Day 1. Fact - it's Year 3 and he hasn't played a down.

Same process with all of the new head coaches. The misguided, rose colored glasses are what gets people bent out of shape when shit gets sideways.

sad winnie the pooh GIF

I agree that there is a lot of talent in that room. And over time I think they are going to prove to be a real strength on the team. However, my question is (and it is an honest one since I do not know) do we have a receiver who can stretch the field and make a big play or two in every game like Toure and Palmer did for us? We need the threat of the deep ball to keep the safeties honest and off of the line of scrimmage in run support. That catch by Palmer against Iowa last year happened precisely because the safety covering him bit on play action and that was all it took. And that broke that game open for us early in the game and set the tone. We need a guy like that to emerge.
I think in the next few weeks, they’ll have a couple of the young guys ready for packages to run deep routes:
Doss, Coleman, and Lloyd have all gotten some mention and have speed.

Even if they’re not every down players, if we need to plug in a deep threat, it should be there. If we can be efficient as an offense, the big plays will come. But we might get away from the feast or famine of before.

I'd be really surprised if Fidone isn't great for us (barring injury). He was the #2 TE in the nation, good work ethic, and has the measurables to match. He's been injured so I don't see the argument here of not playing yet.

I would say no for the most part but there are a lot of freshmen with a ton of speed based off their track times and film. I also have watched many teams in the B10 who don't have 'deep threats' who often beat us and can win 9 games so it's not a worry of mine.

You are bent out of shape and sideways and the first game hasn't even been played. What's the difference since you are projecting onto others?

I would say no for the most part but there are a lot of freshmen with a ton of speed based off their track times and film. I also have watched many teams in the B10 who don't have 'deep threats' who often beat us and can win 9 games so it's not a worry of mine.
Move the chains.

Don't turn the ball over.

Convert points in the red zone.

If the offense can do that then the team will have more wins than losses.

Move the chains.

Don't turn the ball over.

Convert points in the red zone.

If the offense can do that then the team will have more wins than losses.
Those things are serviced if you have a guy (or guys) who can take the top off the opposing D. At least one guy who has to worry the deep ball means one less person closer to the LOS. If you hang your hat on the deep ball like Whipple, the D can pin its ears back and test your blocking.

Those things are serviced if you have a guy (or guys) who can take the top off the opposing D. At least one guy who has to worry the deep ball means one less person closer to the LOS. If you hang your hat on the deep ball like Whipple, the D can pin its ears back and test your blocking.
It's nice to have balance....just like everything else in life.

We have several guys who can do that. They just lack the size that Betts brought maybe. Coleman IMO is going to factor in. There’s at least 2 other freshmen with legit speed. We’ll be fine.

You are bent out of shape and sideways and the first game hasn't even been played. What's the difference since you are projecting onto others?
Not bent out of shape at all. How many years are we going through with this? Every year it‘s the same. Blow up the hype and then its a let down. Do you also tell people who are overly positive and say the first game hasnt been played yet? Explain what is wrong with taking a more conservative approach? Is that not good enough fandom?

Not bent out of shape at all. How many years are we going through with this? Every year it‘s the same. Blow up the hype and then its a let down. Do you also tell people who are overly positive and say the first game hasnt been played yet? Explain what is wrong with taking a more conservative approach? Is that not good enough fandom?
Nothing is wrong with a wait and see approach. But then again, there is nothing wrong with being optimistic about the roster talent (recruiting has hovered in the low 20s high teens most years) and coaches that are talking about football in ways that seem more thoughtful. And I think Tony White is a very good FB coach.

Will be interesting to see if Emmett Johnson is used here. He's been under the radar, but seems he is getting a lot of reps all over the place. He seems like a Wandale R type player that could be all over the field. Will be interesting.
I can see them using RJ in this role.. great hands, hes proven he can do it. I believe the coaches trust him and believe Grant and Ervin will get the bulk of the carries..at least I hope thats what we see but i agree would be cool to see what they all can do

I believe the recent problems Nebraska has had were majority caused by poor coaching and yet even then most of the games were very close losses. So now a completely new coaching staff (well almost) coupled with a very significant roster turnover means we just can't rely on the recent past as any sort of reliable predictor for this year. So we'll just have to see. Any prediction of results good or bad before the season starts is just pure wild speculation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT