ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches Poll (Are they legit anymore?)

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
When the hell will rankings be based upon the merit of what you've done and not on the name on your jersey? FFS man Duke beat Clemson by 3 Touchdowns and the Coaches still have them ranked ahead of them in the rankings. Why is this even allowed? Honestly if a coach has no idea of the fact that Duke beat Clemson the 1st week, should they be allowed to even vote? If there is any coach out there that actually saw that game (or even just the score) and voted for Clemson ahead of Duke their voting rights should be negated IMO

Last edited:
Valid point Big Red 22. I think the question is what are the criteria and purpose of early/mid season rankings? Regarding purpose, I think it is to hype up games and get fans’ interest. Regarding criteria, media voters and coaches may be thinking, well if Duke and Clemson played 2 out of 3, Clemson would win 2, so I am ranking them higher.

I don’t know, but I do know Big Rid has an opportunity to knock off a ranked team on the road this weekend.

Reactions: BleedRed78
When they hell will rankings be based upon the merit of what you've done and not on the name on your jersey? FFS man Duke beat Clemson by 3 Touchdowns and the Coaches still have them ranked ahead of them in the rankings. Why is this even allowed? Honestly if a coach has no idea of the fact that Duke beat Clemson the 1st week, should they be allowed to even vote? If there is any coach out there that actually saw that game (or even just the score) and voted for Clemson ahead of Duke their voting rights should be negated IMO
Listen, there’s plenty of factors that go into why they poll the way they do. Did you ever stop to consider the coaches that voted that way were also Biden supporters?

When they hell will rankings be based upon the merit of what you've done and not on the name on your jersey? FFS man Duke beat Clemson by 3 Touchdowns and the Coaches still have them ranked ahead of them in the rankings. Why is this even allowed? Honestly if a coach has no idea of the fact that Duke beat Clemson the 1st week, should they be allowed to even vote? If there is any coach out there that actually saw that game (or even just the score) and voted for Clemson ahead of Duke their voting rights should be negated IMO
It's a week to week vote. Clemson loses again and Duke wins, it will change significantly.

Particularly in week 1, you just can't do that. Duke is better. Plain and simple. If you think Clemson wins in Death Valley, that's one thing; but, until that game is played, you vote accordingly. Can't objectively put Clemson ahead of Duke until Clemson has won some games and Duke lost some. No 0-1 or 0-2 team should be ranked and that should be by rule. Win first, get a ranking second.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Coaches have said for years that they don't watch games and that they don't do the voting.

Even the AP vote is at best "okay", I watch (and bet) on a ton of games each Saturday and I still don't come close to seeing it all. Neither do those guys.

Coaches have said for years that they don't watch games and that they don't do the voting.

Even the AP vote is at best "okay", I watch (and bet) on a ton of games each Saturday and I still don't come close to seeing it all. Neither do those guys.
Some of us will watch cfb from 11 am tomorrow till after midnight, and still a lot we dont have time to watch.

Us evaluating from final scores and spreads still leaves a lot of holes to plug.

• Love
Reactions: SuperBigFan
All preseason polling is to get hype. The coaches poll is so that the coaches can feel relevant. Anybody actually think the coaches do their own voting? Put your hands down you know they don’t. They give it to the AD or they give it to some assistant coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT