ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Matchups

leodisflowers

Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
I've tried to read some articles on Illinois and watch the BTN preview, but a lot like us they are closed down. With that said, let's discuss some of the matchups. Here is my take:

NU OL vs. ILL DL - Sounds like they are really lacking depth and if they start having to sub we should be able to run the ball fairly well. They do have some decent LB's that return that will help, but I think our OL could do well against their D-Line.

NU Secondary vs. ILL WR's - Sounds like they are a little banged up at the WR level and have some younger guys. They also had Peters biggest target graduate. I really like CTB and I think our other corners are going to be pretty damn good as well. I think we are going to make them run, and that sets up well for us.

NU DL - ILL OLine - Sounds like they have some decent depth here and a few really good players. Hopefully we set the tone early, and being we will be able to rotate, I think that favors us, but should be a good matchup. Our LB'ers are going to need to have a good game because you know Bert is going to try to run the ball early and ofter especially since I think our Secondary is going to shut them down.

NU WR's - ILL Secondary - Sounds like they have a few pieces here, but I think we are going to run the football well against them, which is only going to open up the passing game. I know our guys are unproven, but I really like some of our guys. Yes we lost Wandale, but I think Toure could be an upgrade for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason is I feel like he will actually block in the run game. If you go back and watch Wandale try to block, it was pitiful. Kid was a gamer, but not good blocking out of the slot. Also, I don't feel like everything is going to be run through Toure. We seem to have many more decent skill players this year and will have targets with potentially 2 RB's, at least 1 big TE, and a load of WR's. I think our size of WR's now too is going to give ILL fits.

Hope you’re right.

I probably won't be, but ready to start talking football. I've been pretty pessimistic, but I think if Adrian plays well (Big If) we could be a good football team. We aren't winning anything of significance, but would love to get to 8-9 wins again and really spring this thing forward.

I probably won't be, but ready to start talking football. I've been pretty pessimistic, but I think if Adrian plays well (Big If) we could be a good football team. We aren't winning anything of significance, but would love to get to 8-9 wins again and really spring this thing forward.
Couldn’t agree more. But I would be pleasantly surprised if they win 7 this year.

Its going to be 90F+ on the field. If a player is poorly conditioned its going to show as the game progresses so, as already pointed out, quality depth is a key.

...also, saw a tweet a few days back that ticket sales were "in the 30s". I expect attendance will pick up closer to game day but that is pretty pathetic.

Last edited:
Its going to be 90F+ on the field. If a player is poorly conditioned its going to show as the game progresses so, as already pointed out, quality depth is a key.

...also, saw a tweet a few days back that ticket sales were "in the 30s". I expect attendance will pick up closer to game day but that is pretty pathetic.
Yeah I saw that too and a bunch of their fans were bitching about the tailgate situation as well that they are getting gouged for a terrible team.

Load up the stadium Husker faithful! Make it a home game.

Reactions: leodisflowers

What’s Going To Happen

Nebraska might be having its issues under Scott Frost, but it won four straight over the Illini before last year’s 41-23 shocker in Lincoln.

Both teams are going to come up with an ultra-intense effort in what should a game full of plenty of energy. It’s going to be ragged, full of mistakes, and there won’t be too much coming from the respective passing games, but it’s going to be a fun opener to the season and the Bielema era.

Can the Nebraska passing game come up with the big plays needed to overcome a solid effort from the Illinois balanced attack?

Martinez will have a hard time breaking free from the Illini linebacking corps, but Nebraska will be good enough on the ground in the second half to come up with the program’s first season-opening road win since rocking Iowa 42-7 in 1999.

if OL is deep as op says, bielema is going to run the ball all dang day.
what is RB depth like...?

I found this interesting, and it shows how far we have come on the D-Line. Our other positions need to start mirroring this, but this sets up well for the future.

In 2017, Nebraska's Scout Team D-line included the following players:

DE Matt Jarzynka - walk on

DT Erik Evans - walk on 6'4 270

DT Fyn Anderson - walk on 6'3 270

DT Dylan Owen - walk on 6'5 260

DT - Ben Lingenfelter - DT 6'5 265

DT - Damion Daniels - only Scholarship player on scout team

2021 Scout Team D-Line - running the 3-4 in prep for Ilinois:

DE- Mosai Newsome - scholarship

N- Nash Hutmacher - scholarship

N - Marquis Black - scholarship

DE- Chris Walker- scholarship

DE/DT - Ruqaun Buckley - scholarship

DE/DT- Jailen Weaver- scholarship

NU OL vs. ILL DL - Sounds like they are really lacking depth and if they start having to sub we should be able to run the ball fairly well. They do have some decent LB's that return that will help, but I think our OL could do well against their D-Line.

NU WR's - ILL Secondary - Sounds like they have a few pieces here, but I think we are going to run the football well against them
After reading this I wouldn't be surprised if we went against our advantages and threw it 50 times.

One match-up a Chicago radio host talked about last week was Illinois TEs vs. Husker LBs. The guy really liked Illinois run offense but also said they could have a tough time running on Nebraska. He talked a lot about Luke Ford, the TE transfer from Georgia, who had to sit out last year because his waiver was denied. If he as good as advertised, Bielema will use him for all he's worth. Husker LBs will need to be disciplined with assignments.

I've tried to read some articles on Illinois and watch the BTN preview, but a lot like us they are closed down. With that said, let's discuss some of the matchups. Here is my take:

NU Secondary vs. ILL WR's - Sounds like they are a little banged up at the WR level and have some younger guys. They also had Peters biggest target graduate. I really like CTB and I think our other corners are going to be pretty damn good as well. I think we are going to make them run, and that sets up well for us.

NU DL - ILL OLine - Sounds like they have some decent depth here and a few really good players. Hopefully we set the tone early, and being we will be able to rotate, I think that favors us, but should be a good matchup. Our LB'ers are going to need to have a good game because you know Bert is going to try to run the ball early and ofter especially since I think our Secondary is going to shut them down.

NU WR's - ILL Secondary - Sounds like they have a few pieces here, but I think we are going to run the football well against them, which is only going to open up the passing game. I know our guys are unproven, but I really like some of our guys. Yes we lost Wandale, but I think Toure could be an upgrade for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason is I feel like he will actually block in the run game. If you go back and watch Wandale try to block, it was pitiful. Kid was a gamer, but not good blocking out of the slot. Also, I don't feel like everything is going to be run through Toure. We seem to have many more decent skill players this year and will have targets with potentially 2 RB's, at least 1 big TE, and a load of WR's. I think our size of WR's now too is going to give ILL fits.
Sounds to me , Belema will go for power football with quicker passes that are more "catch and run." Also expect some Jet Sweeps to get their Isaiah Williams (Jaylen Waddle level of athleticism) the ball . I don't think Belema goes with quick temp (quick snaps) most of the time. Also, expect them to use their TEs and fullback in the passing game.

Last edited:
The only matchup that truly matters:

Illinois:
iu

iu

Nebraska:
iu

iu

We need to stop the run, not give up big plays, and avoid turnovers.
1. Bielema knows how to coordinate run game (also see last year’s game).
2. We could play solid coverage all day, but one big mistake could be the difference. Struggle against the run and it makes us susceptible.
3. We had 9 turnovers last two years against IL

I don’t buy that the past has to dictate the present, but there is some relevance to what we’ve proven recently (that we’re not a good team).
It’s an uphill climb for us all around, but we seem to have the right pieces to turn the corner.
Our LBs need to really step up.

If the team doesn't play stupid and has fewer than 2 turnovers, Illinois won't move the ball on us at all and this game is a blowout. If we mess around again and forget what football is Illinois will make it a long day.

90 for an august game isn't that bad, lol. Wasnt San Josey State like 115 in 2000? lol

I don't think it will be the I formation run it down their throat game, but it will be the spread formation run it down their throats. Frosty cannot allow AM to throttle him again this year. The run game will make its reemergence this year. There are 4 quality backs that have a specialty all their own and we will see all of them this game. AM will have a high completion percentage at the end of the game, but fewer attempts, mainly to the TE's and the Montana State transfer. Simple game plan, few decisions for AM to process, by the fourth quarter large chunks of yards on the depleted defense of Illinois.

Illinois has 100% of their rushing production back from our game last season. Epstein and Brown each ran for over 100 yards against us last year. A veteran QB that has his way vs NU with the best game of this career. A solid OL that added some pieces via transfers to fill a couple holes. A dynamic WR group. Add in much improved coaching and they will be a formidable team on Saturday.

On defense, they will be solid in their front 7. NT Roderich Perry is among the best in the BIG10. Their LB group is also rock solid with several potential draft choices. This Illinois team will be the best NU has faced since we joined the BIG 10 and may be the surprise team of the West division.

Illinois Football: Preview of the Illini offense against Nebraska

• Strengths​

I would argue that the game against the Cornhuskers last season was one of the best offensive games the Illini had under Lovie Smith. Things seemed to click well.

The main strength for the Illini this season would be the running attack. Illinois amassed 285 yards and 4 touchdowns on 52 carries last season in the win over Nebraska. Everyone who rushed the ball, including punter Blake Hayes, is back with the program. The fact Illinois had two 100-yard rushers in the game gives me great hope we can duplicate that performance in 2021.

It would be hard not to mention Brandon Peters as well. The game last season against Nebraska was one of the few he had a chance to play in for the Illini. Peters performed efficiently with a 72% completion percentage to go along with his 205 yards and 1 touchdown. Illinois’ offensive attack was potent.

• Weaknesses​

Honestly, there aren’t a lot of weaknesses coming into the game against Nebraska. I would probably say the wide receiver situation is the weakness as of right now.

Josh Imatorbhebhe led the Illini last season with 71 yards and 1 touchdown, and he has since departed the program. Losing our top wide receiver hurts, but I also believe others will step up like Casey Washington and Brian Hightower.

• Injuries​

There aren’t a ton of injuries that will impact the Illini for the Nebraska game on Saturday. Jordyn Slaughter is going to be out for a while with a broken foot. Illinois will also be without Marquez Beason for the game. He switched from defensive back to wide receiver, but his first game out wide will be a week or two from Saturday.

• Confidence​

Overall, I am pretty confident in the Illinois offense heading into week zero. While we finished 2-6 last season, people need to remember that we had four different starting quarterbacks thanks to COVID and injuries. That shouldn’t be the case this season.
Against Nebraska, I have a confidence of 9 out of 10. Illinois has the firepower returning to do some serious damage. I would be shocked if we didn’t score at least 40 points once again.

Illinois Football: Preview of the Illini offense against Nebraska

• Strengths​

I would argue that the game against the Cornhuskers last season was one of the best offensive games the Illini had under Lovie Smith. Things seemed to click well.

The main strength for the Illini this season would be the running attack. Illinois amassed 285 yards and 4 touchdowns on 52 carries last season in the win over Nebraska. Everyone who rushed the ball, including punter Blake Hayes, is back with the program. The fact Illinois had two 100-yard rushers in the game gives me great hope we can duplicate that performance in 2021.

It would be hard not to mention Brandon Peters as well. The game last season against Nebraska was one of the few he had a chance to play in for the Illini. Peters performed efficiently with a 72% completion percentage to go along with his 205 yards and 1 touchdown. Illinois’ offensive attack was potent.

• Weaknesses​

Honestly, there aren’t a lot of weaknesses coming into the game against Nebraska. I would probably say the wide receiver situation is the weakness as of right now.

Josh Imatorbhebhe led the Illini last season with 71 yards and 1 touchdown, and he has since departed the program. Losing our top wide receiver hurts, but I also believe others will step up like Casey Washington and Brian Hightower.

• Injuries​

There aren’t a ton of injuries that will impact the Illini for the Nebraska game on Saturday. Jordyn Slaughter is going to be out for a while with a broken foot. Illinois will also be without Marquez Beason for the game. He switched from defensive back to wide receiver, but his first game out wide will be a week or two from Saturday.

• Confidence​

Overall, I am pretty confident in the Illinois offense heading into week zero. While we finished 2-6 last season, people need to remember that we had four different starting quarterbacks thanks to COVID and injuries. That shouldn’t be the case this season.
Against Nebraska, I have a confidence of 9 out of 10. Illinois has the firepower returning to do some serious damage. I would be shocked if we didn’t score at least 40 points once again.

I highly doubt they score 40. If they do, we are in ****in trouble.

I highly doubt they score 40. If they do, we are in ****in trouble.
That's from a beat writer for Illinois working for Fansided. Pretty optimistic obviously.. I don't see 40 being scored by either team.. I think the defense remembers last year and all those guys coming back aren't going to let that happen again.

That's from a beat writer for Illinois working for Fansided. Pretty optimistic obviously.. I don't see 40 being scored by either team.. I think the defense remembers last year and all those guys coming back aren't going to let that happen again.

Yeah.. I don't know. I think we can score 40 if our line plays well. We can rotate a few guys, but their D line doesn't have very much depth. I agree they have some good LB'ers, but if our skill players play to their potential, there is going to be some matchup nightmares for them. Austin Allen will be a big problem, but so will one of their LB'ers trying to cover someone out of the slot if we catch them in that. It's all speculation as our other WR's need to step up, need to get the run game going, and also Adrian going, but sipping some of the koolaid, we could be pretty damn good on O this year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I still think Nebraska has more fire power offensively than Illinois…There strong suit will be trying to establish the running game with a senior group who has played together for a lot of games..

Only other advantage besides 22 returning seniors is we won’t know what their going to come out and run on offense during the 1st half and I look for them to use their TE quit a bit..

They don’t have the receivers we have either entering this game..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT