ADVERTISEMENT

Illinois Matchups

I've tried to read some articles on Illinois and watch the BTN preview, but a lot like us they are closed down. With that said, let's discuss some of the matchups. Here is my take:

NU OL vs. ILL DL - Sounds like they are really lacking depth and if they start having to sub we should be able to run the ball fairly well. They do have some decent LB's that return that will help, but I think our OL could do well against their D-Line.

NU Secondary vs. ILL WR's - Sounds like they are a little banged up at the WR level and have some younger guys. They also had Peters biggest target graduate. I really like CTB and I think our other corners are going to be pretty damn good as well. I think we are going to make them run, and that sets up well for us.

NU DL - ILL OLine - Sounds like they have some decent depth here and a few really good players. Hopefully we set the tone early, and being we will be able to rotate, I think that favors us, but should be a good matchup. Our LB'ers are going to need to have a good game because you know Bert is going to try to run the ball early and ofter especially since I think our Secondary is going to shut them down.

NU WR's - ILL Secondary - Sounds like they have a few pieces here, but I think we are going to run the football well against them, which is only going to open up the passing game. I know our guys are unproven, but I really like some of our guys. Yes we lost Wandale, but I think Toure could be an upgrade for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason is I feel like he will actually block in the run game. If you go back and watch Wandale try to block, it was pitiful. Kid was a gamer, but not good blocking out of the slot. Also, I don't feel like everything is going to be run through Toure. We seem to have many more decent skill players this year and will have targets with potentially 2 RB's, at least 1 big TE, and a load of WR's. I think our size of WR's now too is going to give ILL fits.
Thanks.
I wish we knew what Illinois was going to run. We assume they’ll be run heavy but I expect a 50/50 approach wary to keep us off balance. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes our defense a quarter to find its stride. Peters can throw it and they have some skill players. If they establish the run and get into play action it will be a challenge.

I have read that Beason and Hightower will be out for the opener. Basically down to Williams from their original top 3 WR

That only matters if we can stop the run. Brett will jam it down our throats like a guy with his girl who's sucking the chrome off a trailer hitch until we stop him like...15 times in a row. Then a few more for good measure...but I like to hear this.

Mark Rogers college football channel has a lot of Nebraska football subscribers. Here he discusses the game with a Michigan podcaster/YouTube who is actually pretty good because he slams Michigan & Harbaugh.
Either way, he is pretty adamant that Illinois beats Nebraska & makes a few pretty bold statements about Peters vs AM & Scott Frost vs Brett Bilema.

Mark Rogers college football channel has a lot of Nebraska football subscribers. Here he discusses the game with a Michigan podcaster/YouTube who is actually pretty good because he slams Michigan & Harbaugh.
Either way, he is pretty adamant that Illinois beats Nebraska & makes a few pretty bold statements about Peters vs AM & Scott Frost vs Brett Bilema.

The Michigan podcaster is the guy who thinks Frost will be fired after this season and says that Nebraska should hire Jeff Monken from Army to replace him.

I have read that Beason and Hightower will be out for the opener. Basically down to Williams from their original top 3 WR
Illinois leading receiver this weekend will likely be a TE, maybe their top two. Bielema loves to use his TEs. Down a couple WRs, I suspect more passes to RBs also.

The Michigan podcaster is the guy who thinks Frost will be fired after this season and says that Nebraska should hire Jeff Monken from Army to replace him.
Jeff is a hell of a coach, but if Illinois passed on him last year (and he is from the state) I have to think that he is just simply going to end up getting passed over for all P5 jobs.

i think it boils down to special teams and turnovers once again. all hype aside we have a great group of wr's/te's on paper and a qb who never had a 30yd downfield pass last year. we a have a great looking group of olinemen but nothing proven yet. our rb's are unproven and always depends on how well we can block for them.
defensively the dbs look good to me, the lbs look ok and our dline ok but with little proven pass rush. i could see the dbs trying to cover wrs for 5-10 seconds consistently and that will cost us.
bilemmia looked good at a press conference this week. recharged and maybe the best i can remeber him. looks like he has lost weight and without carrying a hangover with him.
frost looks pissed and mad as hell. this could really good for us!!!

Last edited:
OL- Illini
RB- Illini
QB- Illini
WR- Nebraska
TE- Draw
DL- Illini
LB- Illini
Safety- Nebraska
CB- Nebraska
Kicker- Draw
Coaching- Illini

I disagree with several of these (DL and Kicker big time), but this isn't really how you compare teams. You need to compare the units going up against each other. It doesn't matter if NU or ILL has a better OL, it matters how our OL matches up with their DL, our DB's with their WR's, etc.

OL- Illini
RB- Draw
QB- Draw
WR- Nebraska
TE- Draw
DL- Nebraska
LB- Illini
Safety- Nebraska
CB- Nebraska
Kicker- Nebraska
Coaching- Illini

I have the same questions as this guy. I see a lot of love for Bert here, but Barry isn't going to be running the program for him at Illinois (even Gary Anderson looked like a good coach under Barry) and Bert hasn't exactly set the world on fire trying to do it himself.

I have the same questions as this guy. I see a lot of love for Bert here, but Barry isn't going to be running the program for him at Illinois (even Gary Anderson looked like a good coach under Barry) and Bert hasn't exactly set the world on fire trying to do it himself.
at wisc, he was able to feast on one of, if not the worst, division in the entirety of P5

at ark, he wasn't

purdue, iowa, nw, minn, ill and us all sucked brutally when he was at wisc

auburn, bama, lsu, ole miss, msu and a&m are just a teeny, tiny bit different, don't ya think?

at wisc, he was able to feast on one of, if not the worst, division in the entirety of P5

at ark, he wasn't

purdue, iowa, nw, minn, ill and us all sucked brutally when he was at wisc

auburn, bama, lsu, ole miss, msu and a&m are just a teeny, tiny bit different, don't ya think?

I do. He also had someone else that build and essentially ran the program for him at Wisconsin.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Huh, I didn't realize that last year's Nebraska team is playing this game.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

tell us more about all of the networking opportunities your notre dame degree has afforded you

LOL what a f'in dork

Reactions: leodisflowers
Heard Casey Rogers is out. Sucks for our depth, but I still like our DL. Stille, Snacks, Deontre, Ty, Jackson, Riley... etc. Should be good up front.

Heard Casey Rogers is out. Sucks for our depth, but I still like our DL. Stille, Snacks, Deontre, Ty, Jackson, Riley... etc. Should be good up front.
Any word on Vokolek? Heard he is out a few weeks..We don’t know 100% the word on Corcoran either..

Thanks.
I wish we knew what Illinois was going to run. We assume they’ll be run heavy but I expect a 50/50 approach wary to keep us off balance. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes our defense a quarter to find its stride. Peters can throw it and they have some skill players. If they establish the run and get into play action it will be a challenge.
Stack the box and let Peters beat our very good secondary with his passing to a depleted set of WRs.

tell us more about all of the networking opportunities your notre dame degree has afforded you

LOL what a f'in dork

My undergrad is actually from a military academy, thanks for asking. Then spent the next 8 years in a special duty assignment in the military. It’s ironic because you have a picture of Rambo and I worked along side with the 10th out of Carson on multiple occasions.
Calling me a dork moves the needle zero since I was used to people overseas literally putting bounties on our heads & spent 7 years fighting professionally & having opponents call me things daily. LOL
Grow up killer…

My undergrad is actually from a military academy, thanks for asking. Then spent the next 8 years in a special duty assignment in the military. It’s ironic because you have a picture of Rambo and I worked along side with the 10th out of Carson on multiple occasions.
Calling me a dork moves the needle zero since I was used to people overseas literally putting bounties on our heads & spent 7 years fighting professionally & having opponents call me things daily. LOL
Grow up killer…
all that, and still can't get over your daddy issues

or, perhaps, something nefarious in a rectory somewhere

I'm sure all your special ops buddies are posting about their experience on random message boards, too hahahahahaha

all that, and still can't get over your daddy issues

or, perhaps, something nefarious in a rectory somewhere

I'm sure all your special ops buddies are posting about their experience on random message boards, too hahahahahaha
Actually we all laugh at people like you. We all have regular jobs, don’t have military stickers all over our cars, don’t wear the t-shirts or hats. We are normal dudes. Bringing up a career we had isn’t uncommon, we aren’t discussing anything that isn’t freely accessible to the public.
But we love dudes like you who probably wear camouflage once a week & have posters of us.
Talking about daddy issues & discussing rectums pretty much sums of your contributions to the world. I, like others before me, was discussing football on a football discussion board. And when you don’t like what’s being said you attack me & others personally. And when it doesn’t work you up the attacks. Grow up.
When we all step away from here we have to live with what we have & what we have accomplished regardless of what we pretend on here. Im good. Im guessing with your behavior on here over the years you have issues. Work on them.
Good luck.

Actually we all laugh at people like you. We all have regular jobs, don’t have military stickers all over our cars, don’t wear the t-shirts or hats. We are normal dudes. Bringing up a career we had isn’t uncommon, we aren’t discussing anything that isn’t freely accessible to the public.
But we love dudes like you who probably wear camouflage once a week & have posters of us.
Talking about daddy issues & discussing rectums pretty much sums of your contributions to the world. I, like others before me, was discussing football on a football discussion board. And when you don’t like what’s being said you attack me & others personally. And when it doesn’t work you up the attacks. Grow up.
When we all step away from here we have to live with what we have & what we have accomplished regardless of what we pretend on here. Im good. Im guessing with your behavior on here over the years you have issues. Work on them.
Good luck.
automatically associating 'rectory' with 'rectum' is so notre dame it hurts

Illinois fan here...I think you guys have been fairly kind to us in assessing this game. I have no idea how this will play out at all but it is probably as deep as a team illinois has had in a while...having said that, I expect growing pains with new schemes etc...

Last edited:
I'm predicting a loss. Nebraska has come out the gate in the last 3 seasons looking unprepared to play, and that's probably the biggest match up factor in this game is who has their team ready to play. I hope I'm wrong.

If we come out on the first drive and get a flag I might slam my dick in the refrigerator

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT