ADVERTISEMENT

If Frost wasn’t an NU alum...

Look at next year's schedule and tell me there are more than 4 wins there.

Look at our recruiting class this year and tell me there are enough difference-makers there to turn this program around.

Then tell me how Frost is going to recruit after 3 consecutive 4-8 seasons?

Have you seen next year's schedule? I never understood those that said next year was the breakout year. Not with that schedule. There's going to have to be some massive improvements to even make a bowl game next year.
There's going to have to be some massive improvements to even make a bowl game THIS year.

2020 Schedule
===========

Purdue
Central Michigan
SDSU
Cincinnati
at Northwestern
Illinois
BYE
at Rutgers
at OSU
PSU
at Iowa
at Wisc
MN

2021 Schedule
============

Illinois (Dublin)
BYE
Buffalo
at OU
at MSU
OSU
Northwestern
at Purdue
BYE
Michigan
Iowa
SE La.
Wisc
at MN

I could easily see this team staying at 4 wins the next 2 years if things don't change. 2020 looks a lot easier than 2021 though.

Yall should have gotten Klieman before K State did. Obvious.

We'll see where he is in a couple of years. I wouldn't exactly proclaim him a success just yet. Ron Prince was able to pull off a couple of big upsets, but didn't last long.

I could easily see this team staying at 4 wins the next 2 years if things don't change. 2020 looks a lot easier than 2021 though.
The problem with our schedule this year is the easy games are on the road and we suck on the road. At least we have weaker teams at home next year that are winnable. We aren't beating good teams at home so give me the good teams on the road and hope to win the home games.

And the year after. That schedule is even more brutal than 2020
Hard to disagree and if that is the case I hope Moos retires. A new AD might make a change. I don’t see how even 1997 star QB can survive 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8 and we might not get even 4 the next two years given the schedules.

We have become Kansas and even they are getting better.

Reactions: CatColumbia
2020 Schedule
===========

Purdue
Central Michigan
SDSU
Cincinnati
at Northwestern
Illinois
BYE
at Rutgers
at OSU
PSU
at Iowa
at Wisc
MN

Brohm no doubt will put it on Chinander first game of the year.

Likely will lose out after Rutgers. Frost and company will still be bringing up culture after every loss. Yada yada yada.

Reactions: SC_'sker
While I was for the hiring of Frost, I said that great players usually don't make great coaches. Frost will probably have three more years, and hopefully he figures things out by the end of 5. If not, he's gone.
Man, I don't know if he will get that long. We have a very rough schedule the next 2 years. Another losing season next year, it is going to be tough to argue keeping him. I think he will get a 4th no matter what, but anything but 8 or 9 wins and he will probably be gone.

Everyone thought Frost would be a perfect fit because he played here. In reality, he is a bad fit here as a coach. It's tough to win here with a scheme that requires a lot of great skill players. We're never going to consistently recruit Top 10 recruiting classes like Ohio State.

And it's tough to win in the Big Ten with a philosophy of trying to outscore the opponent and forcing turnovers. There are too many good coaches in this league. Hell, we forced a few turnovers today and still lost. The Oregon offense is no longer unique, almost everyone runs something similar now and they run it better than we do.

People said option football was outdated, yet we haven't won a single relevant game since we abandoned our identity. If Frost fails, I honestly think we just need to hire one of the Service Academy coaches.

Reactions: buudhawk
Hard to disagree and if that is the case I hope Moos retires. A new AD might make a change. I don’t see how even 1997 star QB can survive 4-8, 4-8, 4-8, 4-8 and we might not get even 4 the next two years given the schedules.

I could see us being so bad next season that we will only have 3 wins this season.

Honestly, I don't think we can ever win a game again.

Hard to believe there are folks ready to fire Frost already. I realize expectations were unusually high, in fact I called the expectations "extreme" when I saw what Husker fans were saying about Frost. It's not possible to turn a program around in 2 years in most cases anymore. Especially one that exists in a fishbowl. Firing your coach every 3-4 years is a bad idea. If you fire a nine win coach, then fire your returning hero coach, who do you think will want to be the next one?

It’s crazy that this is even being talked about. But after today I can only wonder if he’s in way over his head

I think it is quite clear that Frost is in over his head. He gets out-coached every week.

The best result is that Frost and his bro's are able to improve at their jobs. We have no choice but to give them time to do so. If we're seeing the same garbage two years from now, the story changes.

Reactions: UCF-CZ
I think it is quite clear that Frost is in over his head. He gets out-coached every week.

The best result is that Frost and his bro's are able to improve at their jobs. We have no choice but to give them time to do so. If we're seeing the same garbage two years from now, the story changes.

yeah, I getcha.

but we should be winning. Not paying a guy to learn on the job. There are plenty of coaches that would be doing better than this shit. I am starting to hate his pillow biting offense

Reactions: Husker4real
Unfortunately, Frost probably wasn’t ready to be a head coach at a program like Nebraska. He needed a few more years at UCF. He seems to be in way over his head. Blaming the players, questionable calls, lack of discipline... he seems to have lost his identity before he had time to really solidify one

stupid. it's year 2. this was a complete rebuild. Mike Riley went 4-8 his last year...frost took that over. Next year will be better. The following year will be better.

I will say that our recruiting class this year is huge. close out strong.
3 yrs @4-8 will kill most recruiting classes.

Because a head coach is a lot harder to replace. Why would you fire the head coach but not the assistants?
Because I think the head coach is f-ing up far worse than any of his assistants. But for the record, I don't advocate firing anyone right now. I said when he was hired that he needed 4-5 years. I'll stick to that for now although it is getting to be very trying.

Reactions: NashvilleCy
If the AD has to force the HC to make assistant coaching changes that means you have the wrong HC.
You're probably right but if some of the assistant coaches suck and need to be let go, they need to be fired. I don't care if it comes from the AD or head coach but keeping around underperforming assistants isn't going to help anything.

You're probably right but if some of the assistant coaches suck and need to be let go, they need to be fired. I don't care if it comes from the AD or head coach but keeping around underperforming assistants isn't going to help anything.

Seriously, do you think Scott Frost is going to let the AD tell him who must go and who can stay after Moos begged him to come to Nebraska? Get real dude- laughable if you think that. Lots can be said about Frost at this point, but one thing I'm pretty damn sure he isn't is a puppet or stool pigeon.

But again, that's not even the point here. Would you really truly still have faith in Frost if the athletic administration is making his coaching staff decisions?

Again though, with all respects, STUPID to think your thought has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.

Last edited:
Doubt Nebraska wants to let him go before 5 seasons, no matter how it looks, that's a lot of buy out money and then trying to find another coach who may or may not get it done. Tough situation indeed.
The big question is whether they will extend his contract in a year or two if things don’t improve. It will be harder to recruit if they don’t. But on the other hand, he certainly wouldn’t deserve an extension.

Because I think the head coach is f-ing up far worse than any of his assistants. But for the record, I don't advocate firing anyone right now. I said when he was hired that he needed 4-5 years. I'll stick to that for now although it is getting to be very trying.
I agree the head coaching hasn't been there like it should. But is there any assistant coach outside of maybe 1 or 2 that's shown a damn thing since they've been here? With a buyout and everything else that goes along with switching head coaches, changing assistant coaches is a far easier and the only realistic approach and should be the option taken first.

Seriously, do you think Scott Frost is going to let the AD tell him who must go and who can stay after Moos begged him to come to Nebraska? Get real dude- laughable if you think that. Lots can be said about Frost at this point, but one thing I'm pretty damn sure he isn't is a puppet or stool pigeon.

But again, that's not even the point here. Would you really truly still have faith in Frost if the athletic administration is making his coaching staff decisions?

Again though, with all respects, STUPID to think your thought has a snowball's chance in hell of happening.
Frost doesn't have near the pull he did when he first got here. If the AD demands changes but Frost refuses, then so be it. I don't care how it happens, but with the possibility of back to back 4-8 seasons, some assistants need to go. I hope that decision comes from Frost, but it wouldn't bother me if it came from the AD either.

Reactions: NashvilleCy
Frost doesn't have near the pull he did when he first got here. If the AD demands changes but Frost refuses, then so be it. I don't care how it happens, but with the possibility of back to back 4-8 seasons, some assistants need to go. I hope that decision comes from Frost, but it wouldn't bother me if it came from the AD either.

The question isn't whether or not YOU would be bothered. Unless you are the AD or Frost himself, what YOU want doesn't matter.

I'm just pointing out what you would be OK with or hope for has 0, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, 0% chance of happening in the way you mention.

If you don't understand this, then you have less than even a "casual" college football fan IQ.

stupid. it's year 2. this was a complete rebuild. Mike Riley went 4-8 his last year...frost took that over. Next year will be better. The following year will be better.

I will say that our recruiting class this year is huge. close out strong.
Every coach that followed Osborne has gone at least 8-4 in their 2nd year.

The question isn't whether or not YOU would be bothered. Unless you are the AD or Frost himself, what YOU want doesn't matter.

I'm just pointing out what you would be OK with or hope for has 0, ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, 0% chance of happening in the way you mention.

If you don't understand this, then you are less than even a "casual" college football fan.
I don't really care how much of a chance it has of happening or not. If changes need to be made, they need to be made. Sure I'd much prefer if Frost decides on changes himself, but if someone else needs to do it I'd be completely fine with that.

I don't really care how much of a chance it has of happening or not. If changes need to be made, they need to be made. Sure I'd much prefer if Frost decides on changes himself, but if someone else needs to do it I'd be completely fine with that.

LOL, damn dude you just don't get it.

You know what's most hilarious of all this? That two years ago you were part of the vast majority of fans thinking Frost walked on water and had to be hired at Nebraska. Now he's 21 games into his Nebraska coaching career and you aren't even completely convinced he can even surround himself with the right staff without the help of the AD. LOL, LOL

Reactions: spiderland
LOL, damn dude you just don't get it.

You know what's most hilarious of all this? That two years ago you were part of the vast majority of fans thinking Frost walked on water and had to be hired at Nebraska. Now he's 21 games into his Nebraska coaching career and you aren't even completely convinced he can even surround himself with the right staff without the help of the AD. LOL, LOL
Yeah I thought at the time Frost was the right hire and I still do. Coaching has been a major problem the last 2 years and something needs to change there. I'd say at least 3 or 4 assistants need to pack their bags if we hope to see any meaningful improvement going forward. I really hope Frost figures it out and makes the changes himself.

2020 Schedule
===========

Purdue
Central Michigan
SDSU
Cincinnati
at Northwestern
Illinois
BYE
at Rutgers
at OSU
PSU
at Iowa
at Wisc
MN
Central Mich and Rutgers are the only realistic wins I see. Maybe get another 1 or 2 between Purdue, Cin, Illinois and NW. 4 or 5 wins is all I see.

Everyone thought Frost would be a perfect fit because he played here. In reality, he is a bad fit here as a coach. It's tough to win here with a scheme that requires a lot of great skill players. We're never going to consistently recruit Top 10 recruiting classes like Ohio State.

And it's tough to win in the Big Ten with a philosophy of trying to outscore the opponent and forcing turnovers. There are too many good coaches in this league. Hell, we forced a few turnovers today and still lost. The Oregon offense is no longer unique, almost everyone runs something similar now and they run it better than we do.

People said option football was outdated, yet we haven't won a single relevant game since we abandoned our identity. If Frost fails, I honestly think we just need to hire one of the Service Academy coaches.

I get what you are saying but they are not just losing to OSU...they are losing to teams that they out recruit by a mile.

EXACTLY! When Frost was hired, the entire state (myself included) was saying we had to get Frost. If Moos would have hired anyone else (except maybe Saban), he would have been tarred and feathered. Not sure what this shows, other than maybe just how hard it is to find an elite HC for an elite program.

One of the most level headed posts on this board tonight.

Personally I think the expectations of Scott Frost were off the charts when he arrived-- and who knows, he may NEVER be able to live up to them at Nebraska unless he wins multiple national titles.

I do think the expectations of Nebraska fans of favorite son Frost is identical to Michigan fans expectations of favorite son Harbaugh.

Let's also remember...Frost is in only his 4th year I believe of being a Head Coach, and half that time was spent running a non-Power 5 program. The guy is still learning on the job.

Reactions: buudhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT