ADVERTISEMENT

I see us being 7-5, and I fear Riley would be comfortable with that.

Clevinger

Assistant Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 26, 2007
I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

Firing Pelini was absolutely the right thing to do and actually should have been done earlier for a variety of reasons. However, that doesn't necessarily mean hiring Riley was a good decision. I like him and think he's good with offense and quarterbacks, but I still think he's a head-scratching hire. We needed to build around someone who recruits his ass off and hates losing. Riley seems like the respectable, smiling face of a 5 loss team.

The Miami game today was just another moral victory in a post-Osborne era punctuated by moral victories and embarrassing blowouts. It sucks. Riley should be given the same chance to build that I would give any new coach, but he should also know that our expectations and goals are different than Oregon State's.

Other thoughts from today:

--I admire Tommy Armstrong Jr. The comeback he led was amazing. Yes, he made a few bad decisions, but truthfully he needs a running game to take some pressure off. He was trying to do too much because he seemed at times to be the only one interested in winning the game.

--That is the most sparsely attended game i can ever recall us having.

--Our team looked lethargic.

--I've never seen two players from the same team get ejected in a game for targeting.

--The stupid penalties of the Pelini culture need to go.

--Pelini, like Solich, sucked at recruiting. We look thin.

--Sucks to be Al Golden. He won, but they are still out for his job.

contentid50fb91d65349802a820f6a706700a3c3fmtjpgrolepreviewreldt2015-09-20t000539mediaphotorecordid32d6f51078994fadb7cf7c1e4a38dad8cloudfrontavailablefalseakamaiavailabletrueitemid32.jpg

Reactions: NDR
Lost all credibility after your first two sentences.

You are stating that because you think we are currently looking like we are better than a 7-5 team (???) or because you aren't aware of Riley's entire coaching career?

You seem to think that Riley's attitude is the limiting factor when from all accounts from people who actually know him, he's not ok with losing

I'd say it's upon you to prove an unfounded statement

7-5 with Riley > 9-3 with Pelini.

I hated Pelini too, but you are going to have to explain that statement.

By the way, I saw where things were going with Pelini years before you ever did, so your arrogance is ridiculous. You really have zero reservations about a coach who peaks with 4 loss teams and had 6 losing seasons out of 14 (in college)?

This board is always between mindless hatred and mindless support. There's no room for any conversation in between.

You are stating that because you think we are currently looking like we are better than a 7-5 team (???) or because you aren't aware of Riley's entire coaching career?

What does his entire coaching career have to do with this season?

I hated Pelini too, but you are going to have to explain that statement.

By the way, I saw where things were going with Pelini years before you ever did, so your arrogance is ridiculous. You really have zero reservations about a coach who peaks with 4 loss teams and had 6 losing seasons out of 14 (in college)?

This board is always between mindless hatred and mindless support. There's no room for any conversation in between.

No, I see rational people who understand logically that we are 3 games into a first year head coach and the rest being a bunch of idiotic whiners

You seem to think that Riley's attitude is the limiting factor when from all accounts from people who actually know him, he's not ok with losing

I'd say it's upon you to prove an unfounded statement

I really like the guy. I hope he works out. I think he is a good coach (with some questionable staff).

However, he has regularly posted losing seasons everywhere he's been, so he must have developed a certain comfort level with it.

No, I see rational people who understand logically that we are 3 games into a first year head coach and the rest being a bunch of idiotic whiners

I'll give Riley time. I think coaches deserve at least 4 seasons.

Do you honestly see us winning more than 7 games this year though?

No, because you state Riley would be satisfied with 7-5.

I really like the guy. I hope he works out. I think he is a good coach (with some questionable staff).

However, he has regularly posted losing seasons everywhere he's been, so he must have developed a certain comfort level with it.

Again, an unfounded statement. Folks have said that despite his pleasant demeanor he is competitive and doesn't like to lose.

Do you have any actual facts that prove what you are saying? Or is this just more hearsay from your gut? I'd say as a first order effect, the fact he was at a crap football school and a crappy NFL team had more to do with the fact he lost alot, than anything else.

Whatever way the wind is blowing is the way you posts

For you, yes. You loved Pelini attacked people who spoke out against him and then you hated him and attacked anyone who didn't.

Me? I said he was a suspect recruiter, public embarrassment, and questionable defensive mind BEFORE we hired him and never changed (and was ultimately proven correct).

Yes, honestly, I do. I am so sick of the people who play God and act like they "know" what's going to happen. I mean why do we even need to play the rest of the season? You have declared from your throne on high what is going to happen. Face it-you don't know squat about what's going to happen and neither do I. So I will not consign us to losses in ANY game until it happens. How about just letting the season play out?
'

Yes, because the west division of the Big Ten is not good and unlike the stupid posts claiming Miami and BYU suck, there is data backing that statement instead of idiotic knee jerk reactions from butt hurt fans.

No, because you state Riley would be satisfied with 7-5.

Husker fans will tolerate you at 9-4 and 10-4. He was only at that level 4 times in 14 seasons as a college coach.

He must really feel bad about his career. Who knows though, maybe he'll suddenly change and bloom into the next Saban or Meyer.

Reactions: kjh
Again, an unfounded statement. Folks have said that despite his pleasant demeanor he is competitive and doesn't like to lose.

Do you have any actual facts that prove what you are saying? Or is this just more hearsay from your gut? I'd say as a first order effect, the fact he was at a crap football school and a crappy NFL team had more to do with the fact he lost alot, than anything else.

I would readily acknowledge that what you are saying is a possibility. Maybe he's really a brilliant coach that was held back by his resources.

Can you not acknowledge though that maybe his prior coaching record is an actual reflection of what he is capable of building towards? His records are actual facts.

Yes, honestly, I do. I am so sick of the people who play God and act like they "know" what's going to happen. I mean why do we even need to play the rest of the season? You have declared from your throne on high what is going to happen. Face it-you don't know squat about what's going to happen and neither do I. So I will not consign us to losses in ANY game until it happens. How about just letting the season play out?
'

I think in any coaching transition you have to take a wait and see. Bo's first year was hardly stellar. We had some breaks and some improvement and walked away with 9 wins. But there was a lot of bad football played. Had we had a different injury situation or less talent on the roster or a few plays went the other way, we coulda been a hella lot worse. But I think the fanbase is glad that it overall went well, and if there is to be any comparison between then and now, I think we are off on a way better foot recruiting Riley year 1 vs Bo year 1. I think Bo's only real decent recruit was Burkhead that year, and we're not out recruiting Bama by any means, but our class is better than that.

Husker fans have come to believe in the insta-solution. There's no insta-solution to be found at this point in time. Whatever the record is, we're going to mostly base the season off how kids develop and see what we can build for the future. Unless we get really lucky, I don't think NU is just going to turn it on and start dominating people.

For you, yes. You loved Pelini attacked people who spoke out against him and then

False.

I had - and still do - behind the scenes access which is something you, and people like you, could only dream of. From year 1 of Pelini I didn't blast anyone who didn't like him. What I did was share in a roundabout way what was happening behind the scenes to better him as as coach and I took it all the way through the bowl game against South Carolina, and that's it.

So no matter how hard you try and recreate history, it doesn't change the facts of what's been posted on here for a long time.

'

The season will play out regardless. What's the point of having a Husker discussion board if you can't discuss what you are seeing and (god forbid) make predictions?

I see a 7-5 type team this year. I'm sorry if that causes you angst.

I would readily acknowledge that what you are saying is a possibility. Maybe he's really a brilliant coach that was held back by his resources.

Can you not acknowledge though that maybe his prior coaching record is an actual reflection of what he is capable of building towards? His records are actual facts.

You are confusing the issue. His record is a fact (and no one disputes what it is), but that doesn't mean you can arbitrarily assign whatever reasons you want as to why he had that record without some fact backing up why.

If you are going to say that he was a .500 coach because he was happy catching a paycheck and riding his bike home, you have to have some proof of that. Just as if you were going to make any other argument about why he had that record.

The season will play out regardless. What's the point of having a Husker discussion board if you can't discuss what you are seeing and (god forbid) make predictions?

I see a 7-5 type team this year. I'm sorry if that causes you angst.

I don't think its out of the realm of possibility by any means. Folks have come and gone making better and worse projections, because no one really knows.

The thing that's causing you trouble is that you are trying to *speculate* as to the nature of Riley (and what effect it might have on his ability to win here or elsewhere), when you have zero evidence presented as to the nature of Riley and how it correlates to wins, and flies in the face of people who actually know him (ie known facts of the situation).

You are high if you believe Riley would be ok with a 7-5 season.

Indeed. Again, pointing to the "we have to win now" line from the Portland newspaper article some weeks ago. How people think that Riley believes he is going to just Mr Rogers his way into retirement, still, is beyond me.

False.

I had - and still do - behind the scenes access which is something you, and people like you, could only dream of. From year 1 of Pelini I didn't blast anyone who didn't like him. What I did was share in a roundabout way what was happening behind the scenes to better him as as coach and I took it all the way through the bowl game against South Carolina, and that's it.

So no matter how hard you try and recreate history, it doesn't change the facts of what's been posted on here for a long time.

What you said about me is ridiculous. I've always said what I thought, regardless of who agreed or got pissed off.

"I had - and still do - behind the scenes access which is something you, and people like you, could only dream of."

Yeah, I often dream of one day having so much inside access to our program that I can brag about it on a message board to feel good. That's power, man. RollingLaugh

I haven't posted on here lately, and I had no idea how hard people have been hitting the Riley kool aid.

I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but yikes. Go look at his prior career.

I haven't posted on here lately, and I had no idea how hard people have been hitting the Riley kool aid.

I want him to succeed as much as anyone, but yikes. Go look at his prior career.
The difference is you look at his resume at OSU as a failure. When many think he did a good job at a program that is very hard to win at. No chance he is okay with winning 7 games a year here. I believe you are smarter than that.

Anybody that is "comfortable" with 5 losses at Nebraska is simply not fit to be our head coach and should be fired immediately at the end of the season. I don't believe for a moment that is the case with Riley and I find it incredibly arrogant and profoundly unfair that somebody would ascribe those feelings to him.

The difference is you look at his resume at OSU as a failure. When many think he did a good job at a program that is very hard to win. No chance he is okay with winning 7 games a year here. I believe you are smarter than that.

In his 8th and 9th consecutive years at OSU he was 5-7 and 3-9, respectively. In his 12th consecutive year there he was 5-7. That sucks no matter where you are.

I am really hoping this experiment works because he seems like such an awesome person. Seriously though, I feel like a lot of you guys spent the entire off season convincing yourselves that his entire career as a head coach doesn't reflect who he'll be as our head coach. I believe you are smarter than that. Open your mind, just a little.

Reactions: cavalot

You have been given rational explanations to why people support this staff.

Not being negative about a head coach 3 games into his first season is kool-aid?
Right.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
Wow-that's rich. The guy who has basically declared Riley to be a failure after 3 games and thinks he knows how Riley would feel about losing 5 games tells somebody else to "open your mind". You must be completely oblivious to the irony in that statement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT