ADVERTISEMENT

I see us being 7-5, and I fear Riley would be comfortable with that.

Wow-that's rich. The guy who has basically declared Riley to be a failure after 3 games and thinks he knows how Riley would feel about losing 5 games tells somebody else to "open your mind". You must be completely oblivious to the irony in that statement.

He seems awfully closed minded on this subject, oh the irony. Saying Mike Riley accepts losing (or mediocrity) is the most asinine thing I have read in some time. Remind me of what Mike Leach is doing at Washington State. Oregon State and Washington State are like Vandy and Kansas. Many schools were yearning for Leach; Riley has done better at OSU. Much of his nine-win seasons were when the pac-12 played a true round-robin (Kansas avoided all three top teams in the Big XII South during their BCS run). If two plays go in Nebraska's direction, they would be 3-0, ranked, and guys like Cleve wouldn't be jumping off the ledge. The jury is still out, but I like what I see from Mike Riley. Gotta start better, but they didn't fold and lose by 30 like a Bo team would have, I feel that Nebraska will lose one, likely two games in conference play. Nine wins isn't bad, as long as they BUILD on this season.

How do we know they had less talent that year? - But yes that year was probably Bankers best Defense they finished ranked 34th - which was great per his track record.

We will find out pretty quick if he can stop the run as we get into league play - I was not overly impressed with our run defense against Miami

I'm going on the most objective thing we have, recruiting rankings. If they had more talent than us, then that would indicate that they developed players better than Bo's staff.

The more y
Considering I travel the lower 48 states, including a heavy concentrate in Pennsylvania - Altoona to Philly up to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - I pay close attention. And that includes working for one of the top 50 PSU donor families (prior to Paterno/Sandusky scandal), not sure if they cut back or not. So spare me about not knowing anything about PSU or not paying attention. 99% of the non-business conversations I have in that area is all about college football or the Eagles, sometimes the Bills as I trip up to Salamanca and Buffalo, NY often enough during my PA visits.

I watch plenty of college football, and don't recall any network "promoting Penn State as a blue blood". I'll play closer attention next time though. You can give Nebraska all the support you want, it still doesn't change the fact NU is a blue blood and PSU isn't, unless it's a wrestling discussion...
The more you talk the less intelligent you sound. You just sound like someone who doesnt like Penn State simple as that. Please show me how PSU isnt a "Blue blood" you are just an ignoramus. Ive been following college football for 42 years, never been told Penn State wasnt "historically elite", not one time "ever". One who argues with a fool must be a fool so I guess I'm guilty.

Considering I travel the lower 48 states, including a heavy concentrate in Pennsylvania - Altoona to Philly up to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - I pay close attention. And that includes working for one of the top 50 PSU donor families (prior to Paterno/Sandusky scandal), not sure if they cut back or not. So spare me about not knowing anything about PSU or not paying attention. 99% of the non-business conversations I have in that area is all about college football or the Eagles, sometimes the Bills as I trip up to Salamanca and Buffalo, NY often enough during my PA visits.

I watch plenty of college football, and don't recall any network "promoting Penn State as a blue blood". I'll play closer attention next time though. You can give Nebraska all the support you want, it still doesn't change the fact NU is a blue blood and PSU isn't, unless it's a wrestling discussion...
I am now dumber having read your post.

So wiseguy Penn State is 3rd in alltime wins since 1950 and 8th overall but that isnt "elite"? What are you like 15 years old or something? Oh that cant be right because Nebraska hasnt done anything since the 1990's and a 15 year old would know that, right? And you consider Neb a "blue-blood? You are just a fool and I let you get under my skin so shame on me.

Three quotes, three responses and I'm the "less intelligent" one. I wasn't aware the new Rivals system was that difficult. When you challenge the intelligence of someone, it's wise not to have any errors.

I was under your skin well before the previous response.

Three quotes, three responses and I'm the "less intelligent" one. I wasn't aware the new Rivals system was that difficult.
When you challenge the intelligence of someone, it's wise not to have any errors.

I was under your skin well before the previous response.
Yeah and you're just looking for a fight so show some class.

Nebraska will always be around the 35th best team in the country. Some years they may finish around 15th & some years they may finish around 65th. That's just the way it's going to be for Neb football.

Considering that we've finished lower than 35th maybe 3 seasons in the last 50 seasons, you might want to check to see if you have a gaping head wound...you stupid stupid human!!

Riley knows he is replacing a coach that won 9 games every year so you are just wrong in that he doesn't understand the expectations here. Why don't you just support the coaches? You've given him all of 3 games.
I think it's because some of us feel like we've seen this movie before, and we all remember how that ended. Not saying it WILL end that way, but I feel like Riley has a tough road ahead ifhe wants to avoid becoming Clownahan Part II.

I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

Firing Pelini was absolutely the right thing to do and actually should have been done earlier for a variety of reasons. However, that doesn't necessarily mean hiring Riley was a good decision. I like him and think he's good with offense and quarterbacks, but I still think he's a head-scratching hire. We needed to build around someone who recruits his ass off and hates losing. Riley seems like the respectable, smiling face of a 5 loss team.

The Miami game today was just another moral victory in a post-Osborne era punctuated by moral victories and embarrassing blowouts. It sucks. Riley should be given the same chance to build that I would give any new coach, but he should also know that our expectations and goals are different than Oregon State's.

Other thoughts from today:

--I admire Tommy Armstrong Jr. The comeback he led was amazing. Yes, he made a few bad decisions, but truthfully he needs a running game to take some pressure off. He was trying to do too much because he seemed at times to be the only one interested in winning the game.

--That is the most sparsely attended game i can ever recall us having.

--Our team looked lethargic.

--I've never seen two players from the same team get ejected in a game for targeting.

--The stupid penalties of the Pelini culture need to go.

--Pelini, like Solich, sucked at recruiting. We look thin.

--Sucks to be Al Golden. He won, but they are still out for his job.

contentid50fb91d65349802a820f6a706700a3c3fmtjpgrolepreviewreldt2015-09-20t000539mediaphotorecordid32d6f51078994fadb7cf7c1e4a38dad8cloudfrontavailablefalseakamaiavailabletrueitemid32.jpg
I am not sure I understand what you are trying to imply with this picture

I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

contentid50fb91d65349802a820f6a706700a3c3fmtjpgrolepreviewreldt2015-09-20t000539mediaphotorecordid32d6f51078994fadb7cf7c1e4a38dad8cloudfrontavailablefalseakamaiavailabletrueitemid32.jpg
Why in the world to you think he would be ok with it?? You don't think he knows what the expectations are at NU?? You think he was OK with 7-5 at OSU?? Major reach on your part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT