ADVERTISEMENT

I see us being 7-5, and I fear Riley would be comfortable with that.

Anybody that is "comfortable" with 5 losses at Nebraska is simply not fit to be our head coach and should be fired immediately at the end of the season. I don't believe for a moment that is the case with Riley and I find it incredibly arrogant and profoundly unfair that somebody would ascribe those feelings to him.

You are free to believe whatever you want.

I believe he is a good offensive mind. I believe he is a great qb coach. I think he is good at finding talent other's miss. I think he's a great person.

I also believe that he has a large body of work as a head coach that tells us a lot about his capabilities too.

This board often sucks because everyone is always for against a guy 100%. Real discussion is lacking.

Wow-that's rich. The guy who has basically declared Riley to be a failure after 3 games and thinks he knows how Riley would feel about losing 5 games tells somebody else to "open your mind". You must be completely oblivious to the irony in that statement.

Where did I say he is a failure? I would give him 4 years to see what he can do.

I believe he is a good offensive mind. I believe he is a great qb coach. I think he is good at finding talent other's miss. I think he's a great person.

I also believe that he has a large body of work as a head coach that tells us a lot about his capabilities too.

This board often sucks because everyone is always for against a guy 100%. Real discussion is lacking.

I don't see any real discussion lacking. We want to talk context and facts.

You want to throw out conjecture about his competitive nature and a past record for Riley that hasn't changed between December and Spring Ball or Fall Camp, and especially not since week 1 to week 3 of the season. Perhaps you have something new to gripe about?

"He must have came to NU to fail then if he ever beleived being happy with 7-5 is acceptable."

Doubling his salary probably didn't hurt as he approaches retirement, especially coming off a 5-7 season at his old job.

"You have been given rational explanations to why people support this staff. Not being negative about a head coach 3 games into his first season is kool-aid?"

I don't disagree with your reasons for support. I disagree with you inability to see other possibilities for where things are heading. Mindlessly attacking those who disagree with you or see other possibilities is reflective of too much kool-aid.

I don't see any real discussion lacking. We want to talk context and facts.

His long career as a head coach, which I have posted about, is factual.

There is this theory that Riley is a brilliant coach who just needed greater resources. Who knows? It's possible. I don't understand people who freak out about someone casting doubt on that theory though.

Coaches always tell the fans what they want to hear.

Clev, I am not saying he is the savior, way,too early. What I believe,is he will recruit and be a better,rep,for Neb then previous coach. If we win 7 this year,or 10 I don't really care. I wanted the previous unrepresenting pos out at Neb. You can't imagine in my extensive travels that people state that finally you got rid of that a-hole.

Clev, I am not saying he is the savior, way,too early. What I believe,is he will recruit and be a better,rep,for Neb then previous coach. If we win 7 this year,or 10 I don't really care. I wanted the previous unrepresenting pos out at Neb. You can't imagine in my extensive travels that people state that finally you got rid of that a-hole.

He is one of the most likable college coaches I've seen. He is regarded as a good coach. I do think he is seriously hindered by the sloppy, depleted program he inherited.

I hope he does great. I'm glad we have a decent person leading out program again. He deserves at least 4 seasons. I have concerns though.

Bama has concerns tonight, I get it. Some people don't have a clue, not saying you, but we need to let it play out more than 3 games, good lord. I believe they will recruit way beyond previous stuff, give a couple classes. What they have done with TA has been amazing, we need D talent for sure and we will get it.

Reactions: StrongArm517

If real discussion includes ascribing feelings to a coach that you have no proof of whatsoever, then I don't want that kind of "real discussion". I don't think you have to praise him to the heavens, but you should also be fair to him. You don't think he knows that our expectations and goals are different than they are at Oregon State? You are essentially calling him out as completely clueless and out of it if you don't think he knows that things are different here.

Bama has concerns tonight, I get it. Some people don't have a clue, not saying you, but we need to let it play out more than 3 games, good lord. I believe they will recruit way beyond previous stuff, give a couple classes. What they have done with TA has been amazing, we need D talent for sure and we will get it.

I waited 3 games to even comment because of all the unknowns about how things were going to go with our new staff. Who knows how the rest of the season will go, but my gut feeling after 3 games is it's a 7-5 type year. The staff gets a pass this year from me, and as long as they are making appropriate actions to pursue 9-11 win seasons and conference titles I am good with them.

Riley has never had the sort of pressure to win he'll be facing here. It'll be interesting to see how he does. It's going to take a lot to win the conference with Michigan State and Ohio State at their present levels.

I get you, I know our previous coach couldn't handle it, I have feelings our current coach will. I will make major decision in 2017 or 18. All I know is perception of Neb has increased greatly since the change and that is a big start.

I get you, I know our previous coach couldn't handle it, I have feelings our current coach will. I will make major decision in 2017 or 18. All I know is perception of Neb has increased greatly since the change and that is a big start.
Only thing that matters is winning.

I waited 3 games to even comment because of all the unknowns about how things were going to go with our new staff. Who knows how the rest of the season will go, but my gut feeling after 3 games is it's a 7-5 type year. The staff gets a pass this year from me, and as long as they are making appropriate actions to pursue 9-11 win seasons and conference titles I am good with them.

Riley has never had the sort of pressure to win he'll be facing here. It'll be interesting to see how he does. It's going to take a lot to win the conference with Michigan State and Ohio State at their present levels.
Riley had plenty of pressure to win at San Diego while being forced to play Ryan Leaf and the other misfits his GM signed. He'll be fine. Mike's attitude, experience and ability to deal with people are his biggest assets in dealing with the pressure. You can't help but like the guy and that is going to earn him a lot of leash. 9 wins is still very possible and winning the B1G West is still very possible. We KNEW we had real roster problems at DE and linebacker and they have come home to roost. I like Freedom etal but you can't start and play the number of inexperienced linebackers and DEs we have and not expect to struggle against good QBs. I've posted it since spring. DE and Linebacker depth and play were going to be a real problem for us and our only hope was that ALL of our starters stayed healthy. They haven't. Hopefully we can get back to full strength by conference play and go on a run. IF we had better DE and Linebacker play IMO, it would solve some of the issues we've seen in our secondary. We can thank our former head coach's and linebacker coach's lazy recruiting for where we sit right now. That said, we are TWO plays from being 3-0. TWO doggoned plays.

Reactions: jsachisler
We aren't going 7-5. Our league is way too bad for that. The fear is that we get happy with 10-3. I think we all had enough of a ten-win coach and expect championships.

We aren't going 7-5. Our league is way too bad for that. The fear is that we get happy with 10-3. I think we all had enough of a ten-win coach and expect championships.

Might depend on injuries. 2 starting backers having MRIs today is not a good sign.

Yes, Pelini was definitely an embarrassment. I don't live in Nebraska anymore, but yes, people couldn't believe we put up with him elsewhere.

Only thing that matters is winning.

Nah. Winning is great but it's nice to have a coach who isnt a public embarrassment too.

Last edited:
It's foolish to say Riley is okay with losing, but it's hard to dismiss that he had 3 losing seasons in his last five years at Oregon State. What were his excuses for having consecutive losing seasons in his 8th and 9th years at the same program? Can't blame the previous coaching staff's groceries for that.

In his 8th and 9th consecutive years at OSU he was 5-7 and 3-9, respectively. In his 12th consecutive year there he was 5-7. That sucks no matter where you are.

I am really hoping this experiment works because he seems like such an awesome person. Seriously though, I feel like a lot of you guys spent the entire off season convincing yourselves that his entire career as a head coach doesn't reflect who he'll be as our head coach. I believe you are smarter than that. Open your mind, just a little.
I didn't need any convincing. I do believe Oregon St is arguably the toughest job in the PAC 12 and the fact that he could make them competitive in that league after the disaster he took over impressed me. The same people who hold his record against him at OSU are the same people who are clueless in regards to Tim Miles record at CSU. At the end of the day this doesn't guarantee anything at NU. He will need to recruit his butt off and find the perfect players to play in his system or he will fail.

Nah. Winning is great but it's nice to have a coach who isnt a public embarrassment too.

True. But let's face it, Pelini would still be here if Colt McCoy's pass stayed up in the air for one more second and/or if the regular season ended 10-2 instead of 9-3 last year.

It's foolish to say Riley is okay with losing, but it's hard to dismiss that he had 3 losing seasons in his last five years at Oregon State. What were his excuses for having consecutive losing seasons in his 8th and 9th years at the same program? Can't blame the previous coaching staff's groceries for that.

We'd probably have to check with Oregon State fans, but when he was going through those times what changes did he make to make sure they didn't keep happening? His staff seems pretty cozy. He still has Banker, who hasn't exactly been stellar as a defensive coordinator.

True. But let's face it, Pelini would still be here if Colt McCoy's pass stayed up in the air for one more second and/or if the regular season ended 10-2 instead of 9-3 last year.

Yes, winning goes a long way.

Pelini would also still probably be here if he wasn't a obnoxious jerk. The combination of his boorish behavior and blowouts against good teams led to his dismissal. If he had been liked he would have survived last year.

I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

Firing Pelini was absolutely the right thing to do and actually should have been done earlier for a variety of reasons. However, that doesn't necessarily mean hiring Riley was a good decision. I like him and think he's good with offense and quarterbacks, but I still think he's a head-scratching hire. We needed to build around someone who recruits his ass off and hates losing. Riley seems like the respectable, smiling face of a 5 loss team.

The Miami game today was just another moral victory in a post-Osborne era punctuated by moral victories and embarrassing blowouts. It sucks. Riley should be given the same chance to build that I would give any new coach, but he should also know that our expectations and goals are different than Oregon State's.

Other thoughts from today:

--I admire Tommy Armstrong Jr. The comeback he led was amazing. Yes, he made a few bad decisions, but truthfully he needs a running game to take some pressure off. He was trying to do too much because he seemed at times to be the only one interested in winning the game.

--That is the most sparsely attended game i can ever recall us having.

--Our team looked lethargic.

--I've never seen two players from the same team get ejected in a game for targeting.

--The stupid penalties of the Pelini culture need to go.

--Pelini, like Solich, sucked at recruiting. We look thin.

--Sucks to be Al Golden. He won, but they are still out for his job.

contentid50fb91d65349802a820f6a706700a3c3fmtjpgrolepreviewreldt2015-09-20t000539mediaphotorecordid32d6f51078994fadb7cf7c1e4a38dad8cloudfrontavailablefalseakamaiavailabletrueitemid32.jpg

We'd probably have to check with Oregon State fans, but when he was going through those times what changes did he make to make sure they didn't keep happening? His staff seems pretty cozy. He still has Banker, who hasn't exactly been stellar as a defensive coordinator.
I am not a diehard OSU fan but did follow casually over the last 5-6 years the knock at OSU was

* Some sloppy play stupid penalties
* generally poor special teams play OSU fans did not like Read
* Stubborn did not want to change schemes to match current times
* Banker was hit or miss but generally terrible against passing teams

Now those are some of the bad points but many fans liked Riley and he also did some good things there.

He is not going to change his coaching resume over night many of the same issues at OSU will appear here - also many of the same positives will also - he will put QB's in the NFL

I live in the Northwest and spent the spent the 4th of July in Bend, Oregon. Talked to a bunch of Beaver fans. It surprised me how many of them thought Riley would do well in Lincoln. Has anyone noticed that OSU beat a FCS school, Weber State, lost badly to Harbaugh's Michigan team and then yesterday beat a weak San Jose State. Next week Stanford. What concerns me is Oregon State has one of the youngest teams in the Pac 12. Where has the recruiting been the last few years? I've watched Riley coach the Beavers many times and as I have written before I don't think losing bothers him that much.

I am not a diehard OSU fan but did follow casually over the last 5-6 years the knock at OSU was

* Some sloppy play stupid penalties
* generally poor special teams play OSU fans did not like Read
* Stubborn did not want to change schemes to match current times
* Banker was hit or miss but generally terrible against passing teams

Now those are some of the bad points but many fans liked Riley and he also did some good things there.

He is not going to change his coaching resume over night many of the same issues at OSU will appear here - also many of the same positives will also - he will put QB's in the NFL

I didn't know Rose-Ivy reinjuried himself during the game. This sucks if we lose those 2.

This is the best writing I have ever read on this board. Well done. I agree with it 100 percent. We need to win games and not just have "moral" victories. Clevinger's prediction of 7-5 is the same record a friend texted to me right after the game. We came out the gate very slow yesterday. Tommie played like a stud despite that last throw. Riley is a great guy, but he shouldn't get a pass for losing games just because he doesn't act like a jerk. It's tough being a coach at a school with lots of winning tradition. I wonder what the Alabama message boards are saying about Saban and Kiffin, today?

QUOTE="Clevinger, post: 765041, member: 9412"]I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

Firing Pelini was absolutely the right thing to do and actually should have been done earlier for a variety of reasons. However, that doesn't necessarily mean hiring Riley was a good decision. I like him and think he's good with offense and quarterbacks, but I still think he's a head-scratching hire. We needed to build around someone who recruits his ass off and hates losing. Riley seems like the respectable, smiling face of a 5 loss team.

The Miami game today was just another moral victory in a post-Osborne era punctuated by moral victories and embarrassing blowouts. It sucks. Riley should be given the same chance to build that I would give any new coach, but he should also know that our expectations and goals are different than Oregon State's.

--I admire Tommy Armstrong Jr. The comeback he led was amazing. Yes, he made a few bad decisions, but truthfully he needs a running game to take some pressure off. He was trying to do too much because he seemed at times to be the only one interested in winning the game.

--I've never seen two players from the same team get ejected in a game for targeting.

contentid50fb91d65349802a820f6a706700a3c3fmtjpgrolepreviewreldt2015-09-20t000539mediaphotorecordid32d6f51078994fadb7cf7c1e4a38dad8cloudfrontavailablefalseakamaiavailabletrueitemid32.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I think we'll have additional losses to Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Michigan State and end up finishing 7-5. What worries me is that when you look at Riley's whole college coaching career, 7-5 looks like something he would be okay with.

Do you have any idea how silly that sounds to the rest of the college football world?

They would understand if they lived our last few years and played in one of the worst divisions in college football.

They would understand if they lived our last few years and played in one of the worst divisions in college football.

Tom - No, they would not. Please consider this before you automatically reject it...you have fallen victim to the group think that prevails in the dreamy world of Nebraska Football. There is nothing special about Nebraska. Your storied history is just that - history. The Nebraska uniform gives your players no magical powers. Your coaches are human, they do not have the ability to part the college football seas. You no longer play a one game season in the Big 8. Everything goes in cycles. At some point in time Nebraska will once again field a great team that will win the Big10, and who knows...maybe even a National Championship. But that won't happen just because you are Nebraska. It will happen the same way it happens for all of the rest of the football world...it will be earned, not given. And it won't happen every year.

Soybean, the last year the Big 8 was formed and played 4 of the 8 teams finished in the top 10.

I'd say 5 losses is very realistic. Even if beat Wiscy, MSU or NWU, MN and Iowa are not guaranteed wins. 6-6 is very possible, and we'd better be awake for this next nonconference game too.

Soybean, the last year the Big 8 was formed and played 4 of the 8 teams finished in the top 10.

Was that 1995? Nebraska has a glorious football history...in fact. I think it would be fair to say that Nebraska would have to be considered as the dominate program of the 1990's.

Was that 1995? Nebraska has a glorious football history...in fact. I think it would be fair to say that Nebraska would have to be considered as the dominate program of the 1990's.

Yes, and I know it was many moons ago but the Big 8 finished 1,2,3 in 1971 and if you go back and look at college football history final polls no other conference's including the SEC accomplished that.

"but he should also know that our expectations and goals are different than Oregon State's."

So does anyone really think Riley is under this impression? He's made clear he understands what the mission is.

I can understand that people make the argument "well he's losing, so he must not get what this fan base thinks about losing", but its also overtly wrong. What you understand about a situation, and what you are able to do about a current situation, often do not match up.

If positive thoughts and a will to win were the primary drivers of winning, there would be 119 pretty good Div 1 football teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT