ADVERTISEMENT

I have a question

Jhollenbeck41

Graduate Assistant
Nov 29, 2018
Let me first state that I have full faith in Frost to get us where we need to be. But I was just thinking randomly tonight....what if Nebraska is never back? What will we all do? Will we just be mad every Saturday when fall rolls around until we die? Will people stop watching? Will we stop caring? What does the standard of acceptance drop to?

Just a random thought I had, wanted to get everyone’s input as I’m not sure anyone has really thought about what else they might do on Saturdays other than watch football

I choose not to think of the ramifications of if we just continued to suck.
qhpu2.jpg

First thing, OP, is to stop spending $10 /month to post on a free message board for crissakes. Go buy your life partner a gift with that money.

Reactions: Bugeater
I started doing “other stuff” on Saturdays years ago. Landscaping, bathroom remodel, restoring cars.... I get a lot done when Nebraska sucks. My wife watches every POS game, I have my limits.

Reactions: ssmill777
Let me first state that I have full faith in Frost to get us where we need to be. But I was just thinking randomly tonight....what if Nebraska is never back? What will we all do? Will we just be mad every Saturday when fall rolls around until we die? Will people stop watching? Will we stop caring? What does the standard of acceptance drop to?

Just a random thought I had, wanted to get everyone’s input as I’m not sure anyone has really thought about what else they might do on Saturdays other than watch football

I'm pretty sure plenty of people have thought about it and have a long list of other things they could do rather than gather to watch low tier power 5 football

one may need to seek help if their well being is tied to whether or not their favorite football team can somehow win a bunch of games

5a8b20d493469.image.jpg

Last edited:
Life goes on whether Nebraska is good or bad. The good just makes it more tolerable while the bad gives you time & money to do something else.

Reactions: leodisflowers

Probably go the way of other fallen giants. I do think many assume that we are Nebraska. #1 we will never be down for good. #2 we would always be crazy fans who support our team no matter what and pack memorial every Saturday.
Unfortunately I think both could happen if things don't get turn around in the next few years. Even Nebraska fans have limits.

Probably go the way of other fallen giants. I do think many assume that we are Nebraska. #1 we will never be down for good. #2 we would always be crazy fans who support our team no matter what and pack memorial every Saturday.
Unfortunately I think both could happen if things don't get turn around in the next few years. Even Nebraska fans have limits.
Do we have limits though? I mean it's been a LONG time since anything was up to Nebraska fan's standards around here.

Reactions: husker2612
Pure and simple. We will keep firing coaches until we are good again. I'm not saying that we won't give coaches a chance. Clearly we are going to give Frost a chance. But if he were still having losing seasons for the next 3 years, I'm betting they would buy him out early and move on.

Eventually we would get it right again. Maybe not to the point of winning national titles, but we'll keep firing coaches if we need to, to get back to being a strong program.

I'm hopeful Frost is going to be that guy. He may have to let a few more coaches go, but I believe he would get to the point of firing more coaches if it means that he doesn't fail at his alma mater.

I'm pretty sure plenty of people have thought about it and have a long list of other things they could do rather than gather to watch low tier power 5 football

one may need to seek help if their well being is tied to whether or not their favorite football team can somehow win a bunch of games

5a8b20d493469.image.jpg
Curious what the stands looked like at kickoff as opposed to late in the 4th quarter?

Can you help?

@jlb321 this can’t be right, can it?
5d900e0dd5b56.image.jpg

the stands appear to be..... full?

with so many people opting to do other things, not to mention your excellent post explaining the issues with fandom, I just don’t understand how there could be such a discrepancy.

the opposing team easily scoring ??
it looks pretty accurate to me
in front of a packed house well into the game.

sure, they were dejected because their team was getting its teeth kicked in, but there they were.

you're awfully jaded for an adult male, posting very inaccurate and misleading photos to try and prove your point and all.

perhaps one day you'll learn to love again. that's my hope for you, anyway.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Do we have limits though? I mean it's been a LONG time since anything was up to Nebraska fan's standards around here.
I guess that is a good point. We just keep setting the bar lower and lower. We are quickly becoming Iowa where 7 or 8 wins and getting to bowl is as good as a NC in our eyes. If things keep at this pace where we are lucky to get a bowl every 5 years. That is when I see a half or 3/4 empty stadium in the near future. If we can get that 7-9 wins I don't see much changing.

This is like asking what life would be like if the germans never bombed hawaii.
The simple answer is, the yellow caked uranium then would have been found in iran, just like they said it was.
People always speculating,sheeeesh

The reality is that Nebraska will likely never be back to what it was. Too many things have changed in the football landscape.

I believe we will have nice results mixed in here and there, perhaps an appearance in the playoff. I will remain a fan and attend games and so forth, just with more skepticism of pre season hype. I had season tickets from 91-99 so I am fortunate to have seen that run in person.

I think the issue for a lot of longtime fans is apathy. We are no longer shocked at blowout losses or losing even as heavy favorites. That sucks because that's a measurable that we all probably never thought we'd experience on a regular basis.

Reactions: Nebraska_Reality
I have often thought the same thing, imo if coach frost can’t bring Nebraska back it will take another 20 plus years to get back, we’ll suck just like Iowa

5a8b20d493469.image.jpg
Be careful with such talk.....you might get accused of being a fan of one of 5 other teams.

I have often thought the same thing, imo if coach frost can’t bring Nebraska back it will take another 20 plus years to get back, we’ll suck just like Iowa

it is beyond me that the stance of some is that if coach X - who only had only 2 years of head coaching experience prior coming to Neb - can't get Nebraska back then maybe no one can.

Bo Pelini - who by all accounts on here was a poor coach and lazy recruiter was here for 7 years - won 9 games each year -- won or tied for 1st in the division 4 of the 7 years, finished 6th twice and 3rd once.

I realize Frost isn't going to match these results right away but starting in year 3-4 this seems to be a reasonable benchmark - a benchmark that a poor coach and lazy recruiter was able to achieve every year just 4 years prior to Frost's arrival

the idea that if Frost doesn't win here maybe no one can is laughable - and a big reason why I think if we can somehow just get to Iowa standards the fanbase will be pacified because of this believe that obviously no one else could any better

it is beyond me that the stance of some is that if coach X - who only had only 2 years of head coaching experience prior coming to Neb - can't get Nebraska back then maybe no one can.

Bo Pelini - who by all accounts on here was a poor coach and lazy recruiter was here for 7 years - won 9 games each year -- won or tied for 1st in the division 4 of the 7 years, finished 6th twice and 3rd once.

I realize Frost isn't going to match these results right away but starting in year 3-4 this seems to be a reasonable benchmark - a benchmark that a poor coach and lazy recruiter was able to achieve every year just 4 years prior to Frost's arrival

the idea that if Frost doesn't win here maybe no one can is laughable - and a big reason why I think if we can somehow just get to Iowa standards the fanbase will be pacified because of this believe that obviously no one else could do a better job
As someone stated earlier, bo made us iowa and the fans couldn’t run him out of town fast enough. We won’t settle for it, as evidenced time and again.

your favorite hypothesis is built on a foundation of sand and hurt feelings. What’s beyond me is how often you can recycle it when history flies directly in its face.

Reactions: headcard
As someone stated earlier, bo made us iowa and the fans couldn’t run him out of town fast enough. We won’t settle for it, as evidenced time and again.

your favorite hypothesis is built on a foundation of sand and hurt feelings. What’s beyond me is how often you can recycle it when history flies directly in its face.

I disagree .. but time will tell --

my bet is that starting in year 4 if Frost's record was identical to Pelini's his job will be more than comfortable
to review, this is what Frost would have to achieve in years 4-10

average more than 9 wins per season
tie or win division - > 50% of the time
conf championship game - 3 times in those 7 years
lowest finish in division - 3rd (once)

the reason I bring up Iowa and Ferentz is because people forget Ferentz was in hot water after year 2
he took over for Hayden Fry - who left the cupboards bare - but was beloved
1st 2 years were losing seasons and the fanbase was pissed
year 3 -- 7 wins -- a stay of execution

years 4,5,6 ---- 3 consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 and a major bowl

those seasons are what got Ferentz a life long contract at Iowa -- not some idea about being happy with mediocrity
Ferentz was able to show the fanbase that he could field a top 10 team in 3 of his first 6 years after having back to back losing seasons his first 2. We will see if Frost is able to achieve close to what Ferentz did or if the fanbase will even care if he does.

I disagree .. but time will tell --

my bet is that starting in year 4 if Frost's record was identical to Pelini's his job will be more than comfortable
to review, this is what Frost would have to achieve in years 4-10

average more than 9 wins per season
tie or win division - > 50% of the time
conf championship game - 3 times in those 7 years
lowest finish in division - 3rd (once)

the reason I bring up Iowa and Ferentz is because people forget Ferentz was in hot water after year 2
he took over for Hayden Fry - who left the cupboards bare - but was beloved
1st 2 years were losing seasons and the fanbase was pissed
year 3 -- 7 wins -- a stay of execution

years 4,5,6 ---- 3 consecutive seasons finishing in the top 10 and a major bowl

those seasons are what got Ferentz a life long contract at Iowa -- not some idea about being happy with mediocrity
Ferentz was able to show the fanbase that he could field a top 10 team in 3 of his first 6 years after having back to back losing seasons his first 2. We will see if Frost is able to achieve close to what Ferentz did or if the fanbase will even care if he does.
so, when you say the fanbase will be pacified if we become iowa, you're referring to just those seasons and not what's followed?

trying to peel this passive aggressive onion.

you can see how this hypothesis is confusing, right? when you say we'll become iowa, everyone automatically thinks happy with mediocrity because that's what they're known for.

then you bring up 3 straight top 10 finishes as a way to prove your point, which, I suppose would be correct because who wouldn't want that.

so, which is it? are you talking about a mirrored career to kirt firentz? 3 straight top 10 finishes? endless mediocrity? or are you just doing the classic double-talk we've all come to know you for, where you can claim to be right if basically anything happens?

Last edited:
so, when you say the fanbase will be pacified if we become iowa, you're referring to just those seasons and not what's followed?

trying to peel this passive aggressive onion.

I'm saying if Frost finishes in the top ten 3 of the next 4 years - like Ferentz was able to do - his record can mirror Ferentz the remainder of the time and his seat will not get warm. This includes going into a conf championship game controlling your own destiny for a national title on one occasion like Ferentz was able to do.

Likewise i think if Frost begins a 7 year stretch that mirrors Pelini his coaching will be lauded.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Thing is, all the butt hurt ends as soon as SF starts winning. Simple as that.
Then, if those old butt hurt people still want to bring up when he started slow, yet ignored his undefeated season, they simply aren't fans, and bandwagoners are better suited for taxes,usc or fsu.
Bye

Reactions: Jhollenbeck41

the idea that if Frost doesn't win here maybe no one can is laughable - and a big reason why I think if we can somehow just get to Iowa standards the fanbase will be pacified because of this believe that obviously no one else could any better
You give frost the talent that bo inherited from billy c and he would have done just as good or possible even better than bozo, now just for speculation do you actually think bozo would have done any better if it would have been him taking over for Riley? Imo it would have been a total disaster way worse than what Scott has done

Reactions: huskerssalts
You give frost the talent that bo inherited from billy c and he would have done just as good or possible even better than bozo, now just for speculation do you actually think bozo would have done any better if it would have been him taking over for Riley? Imo it would have been a total disaster way worse than what Scott has done

so once Frost gets his own players - year 4 -- we can expect better results than Pelini right?

You really think Pelini was fired because of his record? Partly his record against teams with a pulse. But mostly because he was a psycho and he was literally one step from going Woody Hayes.

Reactions: Baxter48
@jlb321 this can’t be right, can it?
5d900e0dd5b56.image.jpg

the stands appear to be..... full?

with so many people opting to do other things, not to mention your excellent post explaining the issues with fandom, I just don’t understand how there could be such a discrepancy.

there is a reason why I blocked him. He’s been none stop dogging the staff, our Huskers and even Tom Osborne whenever he gets the chance to. Looks like he’s STILL at it to this day.

that OSU game started off packed. Sure, after OSU started to beat us down fans started to leave. Guys like him, Iowa obsessed fans and trolls in general will take photo snap shots of the second half and claim “ See, the stadium wasn’t even half full” just so they can say are sell out is a joke or fabricated. Or say “ See, even against a Top 10 team we couldn’t even fill up our stadium”.

Last edited:

not only no but HELL NO. Bo Pelini inherited a ton of talent all over the roster. Frost took over a dumpster fire and a team that gave up completely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT