ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers v Rutgers BB

Roby has 0 killer instinct. It's probably why we ended up with him in the first place. He has the skills to play for one of the big boys but like it's been posted above, he's passive. He lets things come to him. Without more intensity he'll flame out after a couple years in the G league
He got other offers late but teams were waiting to see how he recovered from a serious injury or illness. Can't remember which it was. He stuck with NU because we stuck with him when there was some doubt about his well being. Roby just needs confidence IMO.

IMO, NU had TOO much urgency late in yesterday's game. They really were pressing. They were getting whipped and they knew it in that last 5 minutes. Palmer and Roby were so tight at the free throw line that it was ridiculous. Frost always talks about "no fear of failure". Clearly there's a HUGE fear of failure in this team right now. Lots of pressure and they're not handling it well. Is that the coach's fault or is just the character of some of the players.? I dunno.

Maybe this team knows it’s either the tournament or BUST, knowing it could be the writing on the wall for Timmy..

No I am not confusing anything. He dribbles just ok, his shooting is very mediocre, doesn't have a lot of good post moves, travels a lot trying to blow by the big from the 3 point line by not putting the ball down, and I could go on. That is skill I am talking about. His D game is pretty good due to his crazy athleticism, but reaches a lot and always seems to be in foul trouble.

He did have one good series of leading the break, but he can't do that on a constant basis and there has been a lot of time where it looks very raw when he chooses to do that. I want call him a good dribbler at all. He needs a coach to work with him and push his "skills" to the next level. He does need confidence to help the skills, but he lacks a lot of basketball "skill" right now and is just an athlete out there making plays.

The other thing this team lacks is a leader at any level. The coach isn't getting it done, but either is any of the players. Who would we consider our leader? We don't have one. I want to trust in this team so bad, but Miles to continue to Miles.
EVERY single team in the B1G would love to have Roby in their starting lineup. Every one of them. Every single commentator I listen to raves about his ability but then they almost always comment about the mental mistakes he makes at times that just drive you crazy. Those mental errors have nothing to do with his skills. You are off base with your assessment of his ball handling skills. The guy could play the 2 for us and has in the past been called on to bring the ball up the court against man pressure. I don't know what you expect from a 6-9 guy. He's not Magic but man he's darned good.

EVERY single team in the B1G would love to have Roby in their starting lineup. Every one of them. Every single commentator I listen to raves about his ability but then they almost always comment about the mental mistakes he makes at times that just drive you crazy. Those mental errors have nothing to do with his skills. You are off base with your assessment of his ball handling skills. The guy could play the 2 for us and has in the past been called on to bring the ball up the court against man pressure. I don't know what you expect from a 6-9 guy. He's not Magic but man he's darned good.

What this teams needs is one of those Big German guys Purdue seesms to land on their team..Winking

He got other offers late but teams were waiting to see how he recovered from a serious injury or illness. Can't remember which it was. He stuck with NU because we stuck with him when there was some doubt about his well being. Roby just needs confidence IMO.

Looks like he picked us over a bunch of directional schools, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, and Georgia showed interest. Didn't know about the injury.

Maybe this team knows it’s either the tournament or BUST, knowing it could be the writing on the wall for Timmy..
I don't think they're worried about Miles's job. I think there's just a whole lot of pressure on them personally to win and they in fact want to win badly. Between print and radio media and social media they know how critical people are of them. I honestly think they're busting their asses trying to win then they get grilled for their "lack of effort". The starters are playing too many minutes because our bench hasn't gotten it done when they've got in the game.

Looks like he picked us over a bunch of directional schools, Wisconsin, Iowa, Northwestern, and Georgia showed interest. Didn't know about the injury.
Yep. He committed to NU and when some upper tier schools came sniffing around late he told them he wasn't interested so they didn't offer. I think Purdue and Illinois gauged his interest late. I wish we had 5 of him on this team. 2-3 playing now and 2 redshirting.

I didn't read much of this thread and don't have much to say, pretty defeated at this point. I've been consistent in saying that I'm not really a Miles defender, I just selfishly wanted this team to succeed this year. My goodness, we've waited long enough and they do have the talent. They drive me nuts.

I didn't read much of this thread and don't have much to say, pretty defeated at this point. I've been consistent in saying that I'm not really a Miles defender, I just selfishly wanted this team to succeed this year. My goodness, we've waited long enough and they do have the talent. They drive me nuts.
Very frustrating no doubt. We want them to win. The players want to win. Just need to keep our heads up and try to finish strong. The rest will take care of itself.

Roby has 0 killer instinct. It's probably why we ended up with him in the first place. He has the skills to play for one of the big boys but like it's been posted above, he's passive. He lets things come to him. Without more intensity he'll flame out after a couple years in the G league

Roby should not be forced to play the 5. You can thank Miles for that considering Miles has no idea how to recruit a low post presence.

It’s unfortunate because at many other schools Roby would have blossomed into a first round talent but it will go to waste under Smiles.

Reactions: TheNewNU
IMO, NU had TOO much urgency late in yesterday's game. They really were pressing. They were getting whipped and they knew it in that last 5 minutes. Palmer and Roby were so tight at the free throw line that it was ridiculous. Frost always talks about "no fear of failure". Clearly there's a HUGE fear of failure in this team right now. Lots of pressure and they're not handling it well. Is that the coach's fault or is just the character of some of the players.? I dunno.
The team looked tight and pressing in the final minutes. But where NU really lost this game was the stretch in which they pissed away a 13-point lead. That portion of the game was sloppy and lacked intensity.

Reactions: dinglefritz
The team looked tight and pressing in the final minutes. But where NU really lost this game was the stretch in which they pissed away a 13-point lead. That portion of the game was sloppy and lacked intensity.
The whole game was sloppy IMO. It's kind of way Rutgers makes you play (like Sadler used to do). Lots of whistles and lots of contact. We didn't match what their bench brought to the floor.

Roby should not be forced to play the 5. You can thank Miles for that considering Miles has no idea how to recruit a low post presence.

It’s unfortunate because at many other schools Roby would have blossomed into a first round talent but it will go to waste under Smiles.
I still think he'll get drafted highly. The NBA loves potential and he's got it. I've said since the Okie State game that I like us better with Borchardt at the 5 and Roby at the 4. Roby does a reasonably good job against bigs but man you can't expect him to bang with 3 guys like Rutgers had for 30+ minutes.

He could not play the 2 for us, and I didn't say he was a bad player. I said he is not at an NBA skill level yet. I am not off base with his ball handling, but I'll agree to disagree.

He could not play the 2 for us, and I didn't say he was a bad player. I said he is not at an NBA skill level yet. I am not off base with his ball handling, but I'll agree to disagree.

If he was a better ball handler he would be able to attach the basket better instead of double dribbling like he blatantly did last night...agree with you..

If he was a better ball handler he would be able to attach the basket better instead of double dribbling like he blatantly did last night...agree with you..
He shouldn't have tried to dribble in to that situation. That was a mental error begging for a turnover. Watson would have turned the ball over there likely too. I don't know what the hell you guys expect for ball handling for a 6-9 guy. Magic Johnson? Good heavens. Listen to every single commentator who watches him play if you don't want to believe me. I've played ball with guys his size who played professionally. Roby is a great talent. He just needs to get better between the ears.

He shouldn't have tried to dribble in to that situation. That was a mental error begging for a turnover. Watson would have turned the ball over there likely too. I don't know what the hell you guys expect for ball handling for a 6-9 guy. Magic Johnson? Good heavens. Listen to every single commentator who watches him play if you don't want to believe me. I've played ball with guys his size who played professionally. Roby is a great talent. He just needs to get better between the ears.

Christ, I never said he wasn’t any good but if your a decent ball handler you don’t Double dribble at this stage in the colligate game and that is fundamental coaching... I play the game of basketball too and know how to handle the basketball.. Granted I’m not 6-8..

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Barring a run in the tourney this year I just don't see justification for Miles to stay. 7 years and no depth build no bench help. Being pushed around by opposing teams Biggs. Up until the end of last year we seem to have an Exodus of players every year. Then this year happens the excitement gets built.... A veteran team..... Playmakers...... This is the year for NU to make a run. Then lose an inexplicable game on the road to Rutgers. To many games with poor shooting. One common denominator in 7 years is Miles. I hate to say it or admit I never bought into the hype of this year's team. Miles is just who he is a mediocre coach that talks a big game.

Christ, I never said he wasn’t any good but if your a decent ball handler you don’t Double dribble at this stage in the colligate game and that is fundamental coaching... I play the game of basketball too and know how to handle the basketball.. Granted I’m not 6-8..
Being a good ball handler has little to do with that mistake IMO. He drives like that fairly often and I think that's the first time I've seen him actually turn the ball over doing it. My first reaction is almost always "oh no" but he usually gets to the rim or is able to dish. I think the double dribble was a case of him wanting to pick the ball up to pass it when the double came but he didn't get it picked up. It happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT