ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers v Rutgers BB

I need them to win 4 of the next 9. I’ll be completely honest, I thought we would beat Rutgers without issue. Big ding to my confidence.

Me Too!

You might have a better shot than I do because Nebraska ends with games at Michigan and Michigan State with only a home ending game against Iowa..

Last edited:
I thought our offense was totally fine tonight other than the sloppy turnovers. Couldnt make FTs and missed several wide open looks.

To be fair, Izzo has fluffed up a lot of coaches in the B1G who eventually went on to get fired. I think it's his way of trying to keep beating them like a drum without having to deal with a possible better successor.
I just listened to Rutgers coach say it and it made me want to Sick.

I hope Moos was there, then he could stay in New York and arrange a secret hotel meeting with Nate Oats.
This would be an epic hire. I don't know if Oates has midwest ties and I don't know what other jobs will open (UCLA, USC-Maybe, Miami, South Carolina, PSU, WF) But Oates is a stud.

I’ve seen better offense out of a bunch of fat 40 year olds at the rec. honestly who can support this anymore.

This would be an epic hire. I don't know if Oates has midwest ties and I don't know what other jobs will open (UCLA, USC-Maybe, Miami, South Carolina, PSU, WF) But Oates is a stud.

Oats is a Midwest guy, he's from Wisconsin and started out as a high school coach there for a while.

If Texas fires Shaka, I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

That Matta is a Barry Collier protege - I don't think he would even answer Moos' call.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Oats is a Midwest guy, he's from Wisconsin and started out as a high school coach there for a while.

If Texas fires Shaka, I'd hire him in a heartbeat.

That Matta is a Barry Collier protege - I don't think he would even answer Moos' call.
Shaka will (I think get canned) and I think he is a PERFECT FIT for Illinois. His wife is a bit time lawyer and wants a bit city...so really neither school is perfect but Omaha would be way close to UNL than Chicago to Illinois.

I could see Oates going to UNLV...a sleeping giant.

giphy.gif

Reactions: SC_'sker
Following this for a long time: wanting to support & stay with our coaches, there comes a time when it
becomrs very obvious that a change is necessary.
Too bad becsuse when Tim was hired from Colo. State, where he was succesful, that he would be the good choice. Sorry it’s not working.
Hopefully, trust Moos to get it right. UNL doesn’t
have to be only a football school, altho we’re not
that yet. (Don’t settle for mediocrity & underchieving!). Or not ??

Two or three of the 3 attempts missed the rim and hit the left side of the board I have not seen this happen this year and these were all in one game. The announcer said that we were beaten by a player playing on one and a half legs.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Two or three of the 3 attempts missed the rim and hit the left side of the board I have not seen this happen this year and these were all in one game. The announcer said that we were beaten by a player playing on one and a half legs.
Eugene Omoruyi had a dislocated left knee cap he suffered less than 2 weeks ago. I wouldn’t say he was the reason we lost but he provided a spark for them.

I can't put this all on palmer. He had a below avg game but roby did nothing. Allen did very little, cope didn't do a thing in the 2h, and watson was just so so. I still dont see why smith and nana cant get some more minutes so our main 5 aren't playing 35 plus min every night. Both of them give us some size at guard and should help rebounding.

Oh I’m definitely not putting it all on Palmer. I’m saying this has been Timmy’s MO. Let the star player do whatever. It seems like teams have caught on to what we (Palmer) do and they are just loading the paint. His drives are failing and his jump shot apparently was never really fixed. Tim has no other answer other than Palmer, and just like with Terran Petteway, if Palmer is not having a star performance, the whole ship sinks.

Not sure who Smith is but I agree we don’t play our bench guys enough. Borchardt looks like our best big at times especially defensively and on the boards.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Oh I’m definitely not putting it all on Palmer. I’m saying this has been Timmy’s MO. Let the star player do whatever. It seems like teams have caught on to what we (Palmer) do and they are just loading the paint. His drives are failing and his jump shot apparently was never really fixed. Tim has no other answer other than Palmer, and just like with Terran Petteway, if Palmer is not having a star performance, the whole ship sinks.

Not sure who Smith is but I agree we don’t play our bench guys enough. Borchardt looks like our best big at times especially defensively and on the boards.
They had 3 bigs who we couldn't handle and controlled the paint. We couldn't get anything going to the rim and when we did we couldn't make our free throws or our shots got blocked. They just manhandled us and Glynn couldn't physically guard their guard who went off for 20. Their bench was deep. Their bigs were good and their guards shot better a little better than they have been...then we couldn't make a free throw. Palmer and Roby were horribly uncomfortable at the line. Their body language stepping up there was terrible. Once again, a bigger deeper more physical team pounded us. It was what I was worried about before the season with how small we are.

Watson is good but he isn't a freak PG and that is okay you can win with a guy like that.
Roby is not some NBA stud that some posters think he is.
Palmer left Miami for a reason

Reactions: huskerfan1414
They had 3 bigs who we couldn't handle and controlled the paint. We couldn't get anything going to the rim and when we did we couldn't make our free throws or our shots got blocked. They just manhandled us and Glynn couldn't physically guard their guard who went off for 20. Their bench was deep. Their bigs were good and their guards shot better a little better than they have been...then we couldn't make a free throw. Palmer and Roby were horribly uncomfortable at the line. Their body language stepping up there was terrible. Once again, a bigger deeper more physical team pounded us. It was what I was worried about before the season with how small we are.
This would play much better if Rutgers hadn't lost to Fordham (RPI #285), lost by 20 at home to St. John's, edged Columbia (RPI #326) at home in overtime and come into the game 1-6 in conference play.

Bad losses happen to most teams. But pretending this wasn't one is a tough sell.

Reactions: huskerfan1414

Harris, not Smith. Those names sound alike.

RollingLaughRollingLaughRollingLaugh I gotta hand it to you, you can remain a Tim Miles apologist despite the greatest odds opposing you. Well done...I guess.

Reactions: TheNewNU
Watson is good but he isn't a freak PG and that is okay you can win with a guy like that.
Roby is not some NBA stud that some posters think he is.
Palmer left Miami for a reason
Watson is a really nice player but physically he got abused by the Rutgers guards. Glynn spends a lot of time getting knocked to the floor. Roby has an NBA body and skills. What he's lacking is confidence and an NBA mind...so far. We've got some nice players but we're not physical enough. AFTER watching the game and seeing Rutgers' big men, we should have foreseen this one IMO. Some of us were worried about how we would handle the physicality in the B1G without a true center. Now we know.

Watson is a really nice player but physically he got abused by the Rutgers guards. Glynn spends a lot of time getting knocked to the floor. Roby has an NBA body and skills. What he's lacking is confidence and an NBA mind...so far. We've got some nice players but we're not physical enough. AFTER watching the game and seeing Rutgers' big men, we should have foreseen this one IMO. Some of us were worried about how we would handle the physicality in the B1G without a true center. Now we know.

Roby does not have have NBA skill. He is very athletic and makes a few freak plays because of his athleticism. A lot of this is one the kids, but the offensive scheme is awful and Tim seems lost. There is still time, but the clock is ticking.

Roby does not have have NBA skill. He is very athletic and makes a few freak plays because of his athleticism. A lot of this is one the kids, but the offensive scheme is awful and Tim seems lost. There is still time, but the clock is ticking.
Did you see him take off and dribble down the court with his left hand with a guy on his hip then feed an open man on that break. He's a strong 6-9, can handle the ball, shoot the 3 and jump out of the gym. He's leading the B1G I think in steals. I played pickup ball with a 6-10 to 6-11 guy who played in the NBA shortly after he left the league. Roby has WAY more NBA skill than that guy did. It's not even close. There is a reason people rave about his potential. He's not a finished product but I think part of the issue is that he just doesn't understand how good he can be. Confidence and attitude. That is my one beef with Miles. I don't know what he's doing or saying in practice but man we lack confidence at times.

Did you see him take off and dribble down the court with his left hand with a guy on his hip then feed an open man on that break. He's a strong 6-9, can handle the ball, shoot the 3 and jump out of the gym. He's leading the B1G I think in steals. I played pickup ball with a 6-10 to 6-11 guy who played in the NBA shortly after he left the league. Roby has WAY more NBA skill than that guy did. It's not even close. There is a reason people rave about his potential. He's not a finished product but I think part of the issue is that he just doesn't understand how good he can be. Confidence and attitude. That is my one beef with Miles. I don't know what he's doing or saying in practice but man we lack confidence at times.

Yes. I watch every game. Roby is a freak athlete, and yes he does have potential, but at this time he does not have NBA skill and it's not close. If he did he'd be scoring minimum of 15 a game and having constant success against the Big 10, especially the horrible teams. He is not doing that. Most of that has to do with Miles coaching. You don't see any of these guys getting better, and a lot of times they seem to regress. Our stud players seem to take a step backward after a early success. He may get there, but he is nowhere near close to being an NBA player right now with his skill. His athleticism fits the bill, his skill doesn't.

Yes. I watch every game. Roby is a freak athlete, and yes he does have potential, but at this time he does not have NBA skill and it's not close. If he did he'd be scoring minimum of 15 a game and having constant success against the Big 10, especially the horrible teams. He is not doing that. Most of that has to do with Miles coaching. You don't see any of these guys getting better, and a lot of times they seem to regress. Our stud players seem to take a step backward after a early success. He may get there, but he is nowhere near close to being an NBA player right now with his skill. His athleticism fits the bill, his skill doesn't.
I think you're confusing skills with confidence and attitude. The kid is 6-9+ and can bring the ball up. He can play inside or out. He shoots the 3 pretty well and IMO should not hesitate to shoot it more. I don't know what else you want from a 6-9+ guy skill wise. He needs to be use his head better at times and get tougher mentally.

I think you're confusing skills with confidence and attitude. The kid is 6-9+ and can bring the ball up. He can play inside or out. He shoots the 3 pretty well and IMO should not hesitate to shoot it more. I don't know what else you want from a 6-9+ guy skill wise. He needs to be use his head better at times and get tougher mentally.

Miles was quoted saying he describes his veteran players as casual :rolleyes: well well well I wonder were they get that from...He is the most casual Head Coach in the B1G... This team has no sense of urgency during anytime during a game especially when they get behind...

As of yesterday afternoon we were still an 8 seed. With this loss I we are officially a bubble team. We're realistically gonna need to get to 18 or 19 wins now. We gotta beat OSU, Illinois, Penn State, Minnesota, and Northwestern. Even then that may not be enough, we may have to knock off one of Maryland, Iowa, Michigan, or Michigan State and do some damage in the B1G tourney. I think it's still possible to make the dance but there are 0 guaranteed wins in this league this year. My worry is we make the dance and lose and we're stuck with Miles another 3 years. Hopefully we can get there and make some noise so he can leave us on his own.

Roby has 0 killer instinct. It's probably why we ended up with him in the first place. He has the skills to play for one of the big boys but like it's been posted above, he's passive. He lets things come to him. Without more intensity he'll flame out after a couple years in the G league

Miles was quoted saying he describes his veteran players as casual :rolleyes: well well well I wonder were they get that from...He is the most casual Head Coach in the B1G... This team has no sense of urgency during anytime during a game especially when they get behind...
IMO, NU had TOO much urgency late in yesterday's game. They really were pressing. They were getting whipped and they knew it in that last 5 minutes. Palmer and Roby were so tight at the free throw line that it was ridiculous. Frost always talks about "no fear of failure". Clearly there's a HUGE fear of failure in this team right now. Lots of pressure and they're not handling it well. Is that the coach's fault or is just the character of some of the players.? I dunno.

Reactions: scarletred

No I am not confusing anything. He dribbles just ok, his shooting is very mediocre, doesn't have a lot of good post moves, travels a lot trying to blow by the big from the 3 point line by not putting the ball down, and I could go on. That is skill I am talking about. His D game is pretty good due to his crazy athleticism, but reaches a lot and always seems to be in foul trouble.

He did have one good series of leading the break, but he can't do that on a constant basis and there has been a lot of time where it looks very raw when he chooses to do that. I want call him a good dribbler at all. He needs a coach to work with him and push his "skills" to the next level. He does need confidence to help the skills, but he lacks a lot of basketball "skill" right now and is just an athlete out there making plays.

The other thing this team lacks is a leader at any level. The coach isn't getting it done, but either is any of the players. Who would we consider our leader? We don't have one. I want to trust in this team so bad, but Miles to continue to Miles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT