ADVERTISEMENT

HCSF

ScoFro7

Walk On
Nov 25, 2019
Colorado
Why all the hate on Frost? Did he make plenty of mistakes this year? Absolutely. He’s still a very young coach and we’re still going to have growing pains. This was only his 4th year as a head coach. Everyone he is being compared to has previous experience. When Frost got hired everyone said it would be a process and now no one wants to wait. Relax. This is not a 2 year fix like UCF. We don’t get to play ECU and UCONN all year.

The expectation laid by him and the media were too high. We were supposed to be playing for a conference championship this year, don’t you remember? The B10 is supposed to be adapting to our swing pass offense, remember? I do believe he can eventually be great but he’s going to have to make some personal tough decisions such as evaluate/cut lose with some on coaches. Evaluate the QB position asap. Get better as a play caller or hire someone to do the job better than he can. Sadly, I don’t believe any of the 3 will happen come next year.

Reactions: ssmill777
5 wins is more than 4 wins, to be fair.

Just 5 more years to hit 10 at that rate.

there has been no improvement - few, if any thought things would be fixed in year 2- just better - they aren't

we are a power 5 football program ... I don't think you can tout progress simply because you didn't manage to lose to a sunbelt team in year 2.

We had 3 power 5 wins in 2018. We had 3 power 5 wins in 2019.

We managed to lose to one of the worst teams in the PAC 12 in 2018 and 2019. In 2019 Colorado had a brand new coaching staff.

We had 3 big ten wins in 2018. We had 3 big ten wins in 2019. We had one more home conference game in 2019 versus 2018.

in 2018 we had the top 3 west teams on the road --- 2019 2 of the top 3 west teams were at home.
2018 - we had cross over games against 2 highly ranked teams on the road.
2019 - cross over games against 1 highly ranked team and 2 unranked teams. 2 of 3 at home.

2018 - 5th place big ten west 2019 6th place big ten west.

Score differential in power 5 games 2018-minus 46 2019-minus 47.

if anything we have regressed in the big ten in year 2 - yet we still managed to throw another ten million dollars into the pot

Last edited:
He can start out by running a defense that 98% of high schools run... lol

It only takes 1 year to show you are a good coach.

I fear the worse for this program.

Last edited:
Why all the hate on Frost? Did he make plenty of mistakes this year? Absolutely. He’s still a very young coach and we’re still going to have growing pains. This was only his 4th year as a head coach. Everyone he is being compared to has previous experience. When Frost got hired everyone said it would be a process and now no one wants to wait. Relax. This is not a 2 year fix like UCF. We don’t get to play ECU and UCONN all year.

It would be a process to get back to championship football.

Not to hope and pray that someday Frost can make a bowl game.

You can’t blame him for the media hype. And literally every coach in the nation says they should be in the conference championship. I agree some changes need to happen but I’m not sure why every now expected this to be a 2-3 year change.
No - You can blame him for the media hype. comments like...

I expect the B1G to adapt to us

You better get us while you can

...are all on him. They are the equivalent to Eichorst taking a jab at Iowa when he fired Pelini. Iowa responded and has beat our ass 5 out of 5 years since that statement.

It appears the B1G has responded to Frost’s comments as well.

When Frost was hired everyone said it would take time to rebuild it. Fast forward 2 years and people forget that simple point.

It was going to take time and will take time.

Nebraska is NOT a place where a rebuild can happen overnight. Not going to happen even if Nick Saban was hired.

The off-season hype was generated by dumb people in the media.

I predict we will be a lot better next year as the roster starts to flip over to more dominated Frost players playing instead of the Riley guys. Most Riley guys will be gone now.

Fix the pass rush and passing game issues and this program will win a lot of games.

The expectation laid by him and the media were too high. We were supposed to be playing for a conference championship this year, don’t you remember?

Wrong. The expectation laid on him by the fans is where it started. You all forced this hire with your AD. Fans had the expectations you pointed out. The media is also guilty, but all they did was play into the hands of the fan base but also remember, 99% of the media are "fans" also.

I truly wish I could still be excited about Frost as the head coach. At the end of season 1 I still had the excitement and felt like he had gained some. That is all gone and if anything things are worse now than they were. He has a serious problem bringing the (TEAM) together. It is thought by some very knowledgeable people that the best players are more than one position are not playing for whatever reason. He is the man in charge and success or lack thereof gets placed at his feet. Right now lack thereof is winning by a large margin!

As far as expectation Frost himself raised the expectation level. He is the one that said the Big Ten would have to adjust to him. Do not blame the fans for that.

When Frost was hired everyone said it would take time to rebuild it. Fast forward 2 years and people forget that simple point.

Nebraska is NOT a place where a rebuild can happen overnight. Not going to happen even if Nick Saban was hired.

I predict we will be a lot better next year as the roster starts to flip over to more dominated Frost players playing instead of the Riley guys. Most Riley guys will be gone now.

Fix the pass rush and passing game issues and this program will win a lot of games.

And he will still be an average coach.

Rebuilding had nothing to do with how your team plays the game.

Good coaches show immediate improvement in areas that isn't only reflected in wins and losses.

Had we improved in those areas we wouldnt be sitting at home.

Reactions: MitchLL

...are all on him. They are the equivalent to Eichorst taking a jab at Iowa when he fired Pelini. Iowa responded and has beat our ass 5 out of 5 years since that statement.

Isn’t he supposed to say that? He’s not going to say he’s going to change his entire system... and “you better get us while you can” is just confidence. He thinks eventually Nebraska will be a powerhouse again so beat us while you can.

Noted.

So very well summarized and said.

Scott Frost may end up becoming the Steve Alford of Iowa basketball-- except Frost is an alum of your school.

Just so you know, of all the posters I've seen on this board in recent weeks, you are the most level headed of all of them-- the most objective-- the most sensible. Many fellow Huskers could learn a lot about the game and the process from you.

I doubt you need reminded of Frost’s comments.

The back peddling is interesting. Some are having a hard time accepting that Frost has been a complete failure. We have to hope he’s better going forward because we are stuck with him.

Isn’t he supposed to say that? He’s not going to say he’s going to change his entire system... and “you better get us while you can” is just confidence. He thinks eventually Nebraska will be a powerhouse again so beat us while you can.
No, he shouldn’t say that unless he wanted to look like the turd he does now. When asked how he will adapt to the B1G, al he had to say was “it is a premier conference and we have our work cut out for us. We will look for ways that we can adapt our system”. One comment is humble and the other is arrogant.

Reactions: nu2u and jlb321

It’s ok to say it but it better be backed up. So far there are no signs we are getting better.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I doubt you need reminded of Frost’s comments.

The back peddling is interesting. Some are having a hard time accepting that Frost has been a complete failure. We have to hope he’s better going forward because we are stuck with him.
Ok let’s fire him, lets start all over? Who would you hire? And be realistic don’t say urban. I agree frost needs to grow with coaching. If TO was hired and had this record you’d probably want to fire him. What about Bobby Bowden he struggled his first few years. Here’s the dirty little secret. We all have the mind set that schools like Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, all suck because they did 15, 20,25 years ago. But now each team has some really good players, yeah there not loaded like Ohio st but there dam competitive. Imo the only conference that has a cake walk is ou in the big 12. The fans and local media need to get over this idea that these also-rans of years gone by are no longer. One Omaha world herald sports reporter I believe Tom shatel said going the big 10 will be tougher winning the conference championship but it a stable conference and the money. Look I’m as disappointed as anyone, but look into the season further, 4 of the 7 losses were a toss up we could have easily one those games. Just didn’t get or make the breaks.

I am going to say this. I do not want Frost fired even though I have lost faith in him. I do want him to make some drastic coaching changes however. He needs to upgrade and bring in a couple of very experience assts that have coached extensively at this level. He made a big mistake bringing his whole staff from UCF. I said it when he was hired and it has proven to be a disaster. There is not a handful of defensive coaches that would not have had extra d-backs in the game with time running out. We just happen to have one of those. Chin has done the same thing two years in a row happen. Let the best receivers on the Iowa squad go uncovered at crunch time. There is no justification. Nobody can say there was blown coverage. This is ALL on the coach period!

“that’s the team we inherited” is such a cowardly thing to say after that game

absolutely embarrassing from what is supposed to be the leader of the program.

I've said it a few times here now-- Frost is your version of what Iowa had with Steve Alford as a basketball coach for 8 years. Blamed everyone but himself, spoke about winning championships, promised huge things. I'm telling you, the similarities are there in many ways.

I don’t hate him. I do think he throws others under the bus - REPEATEDLY- and has serious issues with personal accountability. It is best represented in this quote when asked about Iowa’s Kick off return for a TD, which flowed Nebraska’s TD by its defense-

“I have to get back to you. I don’t know (who called it). We went into the game not wanting to kick to them,” Frost said. “We thought our coverage unit could do a good job. We were going to pooch the first couple. I just got done calling the (offensive) series and didn’t make it over to the kickoff team.”

So, offensive series called, followed by a punt, a few Iowa offensive plays, pick six, the minutes that follow for extra point, fight song, tV stuff..., but he was still involved with the offensive series he just called? Time to Own up- just once maybe!!!

Frost actually had more college head coaching experience when he was hired than any NU coach since Devaney, the one exception being Mike Riley, and Frosts 2 year resume looked more impressive than Riley's much longer one. Callahan had 2 years of NFL head coaching experience and went from the penthouse to the outhouse in that stretch. TO, Frank, and Bo were all career assistants.

By NU's historical standards, Frost is the closest thing to hiring an experienced proven winner in 50 years, yet he had a whopping 2 years of experience in the AAC conference. How many other "blueblood" programs have never tried the proven winner approach? Frost is like all the other coaches NU has hired, he is learning on the job and either will improve and thrive, or struggle and fail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
there has been no improvement - few, if any thought things would be fixed in year 2- just better - they aren't

we are a power 5 football program ... I don't think you can tout progress simply because you didn't manage to lose to a sunbelt team in year 2.

We managed to lose to one of the worst teams in the PAC 12 in 2018 and 2019. In 2019 Colorado had a brand new coaching staff.

We had 3 big ten wins in 2018. We had 3 big ten wins in 2019. We had one more home conference game in 2019 versus 2018.

in 2018 we had the top 3 west teams on the road --- 2019 2 of the top 3 west teams were at home.
2019 - cross over games against 1 highly ranked team and 2 unranked teams. 2 of 3 at home.

if anything we have regressed in the big ten in year 2 - yet we still managed to throw another ten million dollars into the pot
I mean, I get it. But 5 wins is an improvement over 4 wins. What else can you call it?

Baby steps lol

The expectation laid by him and the media were too high. We were supposed to be playing for a conference championship this year, don’t you remember? The B10 is supposed to be adapting to our swing pass offense, remember? I do believe he can eventually be great but he’s going to have to make some personal tough decisions such as evaluate/cut lose with some on coaches. Evaluate the QB position asap. Get better as a play caller or hire someone to do the job better than he can. Sadly, I don’t believe any of the 3 will happen come next year.

Why does what Frost said bother you so much? It's like you take it personal, like he personally lied to you.

Do you think he is flat out lying? It seems to me he underestimated what he was undertaking.

The no improvement is the one problematic area that no matter where one stands on Scott as a coach that one can’t over come. And coaching has cost us games, not players. Better coaching and we are going to a bowl game this season. Better coaching and we’d have won yesterday.

at this point in MR time at Nebraska he fired his D-Cord and only had one year more year to turn it around. I’m not saying Scott should be kept at the same standards but people have invested a lot into him.

The school invested a ton of money and his coaching cost them a return of capital.

Fans invest time and money into the program to constantly get let down. Hard working people spending what little money they have for maybe some joy on Saturdays in the fall turn to disappointment.

either the school is cursed or just a bunch of losers but it’s hard to suck as bad as this with the resources this program has.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
He makes 35 million and in 2 years we have no progress what so ever! We are actually worse than when he got here. Big Problem.

Reactions: kbowe1sat

Why are you moving the goal posts? I though wins were the only thing that matter?
He makes 35 million and in 2 years we have no progress what so ever! We are actually worse than when he got here. Big Problem.

5 > 4 = improvement.

I still support Frost and want to see him succeed but his decision to give up and try to play for OT really upset me. It was only made worse when super conservative KF went for the win and got it.

I thought he would bring back a killer attitude but it seems like he is coddling these guys and worried about there self confidence instead. Only reason he probably is worried about benching AM thinking he is not mentally strong enough to recover from it.

Maybe in the next few years when he has his own players this will change but nothing about his offense play calling made sense this year.

I would call 4 wins to 5 wins growth since it is. But the maturity stage is winning all of these close wins so we go from 5 wins to 9 wins type of ordeal.

I have complete faith that the issues will get fixed. I have patience. I'm not looking to win big games right now. For now I want to start winning games against those under Ohio State and Penn State on the tier levels of the Big Ten. Once we do that I will look towards beating the big dogs.

Frost and Moos both said we would be a really good team by Year 2, and definitely by Year 3. Nobody said this would be a 5-Year rebuild.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Maybe he should give some money to battered women’s shelter. I was born in 99 so just found out last night he hid in a closet while Lawrence Phillips beat a women up. I never knew about this.

Reactions: jhchusker
I would call 4 wins to 5 wins growth since it is. But the maturity stage is winning all of these close wins so we go from 5 wins to 9 wins type of ordeal.

I have complete faith that the issues will get fixed. I have patience. I'm not looking to win big games right now. For now I want to start winning games against those under Ohio State and Penn State on the tier levels of the Big Ten. Once we do that I will look towards beating the big dogs.

Issues like Chinander? You claimed Frost would do what’s right and get rid of him. When can we expect the announcement?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT