ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg Has Single-Handedly Reversed This Program’s Fortunes. 3-1 As Our Starter

No chance we beat Colorado with HH. Let’s be honest.
That would have made up a few TDs? Ok. Our offense is pedestrian with HH too. Our D couldn’t stop their O. We were losing that game with current personnel.
look at Nebraska's first 5 drives: 2 punts, a missed FG, Sims interception, Sims fumble. Eliminate those turnovers and that's at least 10 points for Nebraska. 10 of Colorado's first half points came directly after Sim's turnovers.

2 more Colorado TD's directly after Nebraska turnovers in the 2nd half. that's 24 points directly attributable to turnovers.

it's not a given that Nebraska would win, but I'd say its at least a 50/50 chance. Nobody crushes the morale of a defense quite like your own offense continually turning the ball over. I don't think Colorado scores more than 20 if Nebraska plays a typical B1G game of holding on to the ball and playing keep away.

look at Nebraska's first 5 drives: 2 punts, a missed FG, Sims interception, Sims fumble. Eliminate those turnovers and that's at least 10 points for Nebraska. 10 of Colorado's first half points came directly after Sim's turnovers.

2 more Colorado TD's directly after Nebraska turnovers in the 2nd half. that's 24 points directly attributable to turnovers.

it's not a given that Nebraska would win, but I'd say its at least a 50/50 chance. Nobody crushes the morale of a defense quite like your own offense continually turning the ball over. I don't think Colorado scores more than 20 if Nebraska plays a typical B1G game of holding on to the ball and playing keep away.
at the end of the season we will look back and all agree that Minn and CU were two of the worst teams we played all year.

I didn't lose any credibility. Minnesota was a full stadium and Illinois wasn't and it is also at different times of the year. Minnesota is a bad loss for sure as they should have been a cupcake as well. Also, he played a part in the loss, but if Grant doesn't fumble we probably win that game, but I'm not playing the ifs and buts game. Either way our offense blows and all I was discussing is if we could get a spark from somewhere. I have stated start HH, but we need some sort of spark. Jesus. Never have I seen people more triggered about having discussion on a message board.
It's weird to say I'm triggered by a "discussion" when all I'm doing is saying (still) that you're full of it (ie having a discussion) if your position is based on the ridiculous position that Minnesota is a tougher road game than Illinois. You know a discussion often involves another person who disagrees with you? Yes, Grant helped lose the Minnesota game. He also had a huge fumble late in the Illinois game that we won. Hmmm.... what could be the difference....?

If Sims plays I'm all for it because I know Rhule wants to win and I'll trust him to put the right guy out there. I just don't know why it's so hard to acknowledge the reality that he's been a turnover machine his entire career and he's shown nothing here to prove that isn't still the case. Haarberg's running and our defense is the only reason we're winning games.

It's weird to say I'm triggered by a "discussion" when all I'm doing is saying (still) that you're full of it (ie having a discussion) if your position is based on the ridiculous position that Minnesota is a tougher road game than Illinois. You know a discussion often involves another person who disagrees with you? Yes, Grant helped lose the Minnesota game. He also had a huge fumble late in the Illinois game that we won. Hmmm.... what could be the difference....?

If Sims plays I'm all for it because I know Rhule wants to win and I'll trust him to put the right guy out there. I just don't know why it's so hard to acknowledge the reality that he's been a turnover machine his entire career and he's shown nothing here to prove that isn't still the case. Haarberg's running and our defense is the only reason we're winning games.
Well I will agree to disagree with you that a full stadium, the first game of the year, lot's of excitement on both ends is easier to play than an equally shitty team in a quarter full stadium. The fact of the matter is they are both shit teams. Just like I have said. I have also said you start HH, but this offense needs something. That's why I mentioned Sims. He did a pretty damn good job with his legs as well at the time. At the end of the day I don't give a ****. I just want to win games.

Minnesota just lost to northwestern and had a 50 burger hung on them

They’ll lose to illinois. They’re ass - even moreso than ILL, which also is ass

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't really feel like having a smallest dick measuring contest with you about it, though. Let's just agree they're both ass.

Reactions: king_kong_

So, in this imaginary scenario you've come up with where HH accounts for 22 points, are you also assuming he never turns it over? Let's remember, that's when Travis Hunter and Shilo Sanders were both playing for sCUm. Let's also remember that 7 of our 14 points were in garbage time with their backups in. So, HH probably needs to account for 29 points. You think HH is 29 points better than Sims? Really? Or is this just you buying into one of the dumbest mental gymnastics exercises perpetuated by the anti-Deion crowd to try to move the goal posts yet again as to why he's a bad coach? I'm all for HH over Sims, but this is a really bad take. It would have taken much more than a moderate upgrade in QB to beat sCUm.

Come on buddy. HH was full on Jeff Sims on Friday and lucked out that he wasn't picked more. Hell he about threw three picks on three straight throws. He's very lucky and has been that way in a few games. Yes HH was a decent shot in the arm and I think he brings the leadership aspect that Sims lacks, but you are crazy if you think they aren't basically at the same level. They both suck throwing the ball and seeing the field. They both don't make great reads on the option and both are very dangerous with their feet.

If Haarberg was so much better than Sims our offense shouldn't be the level of garbage it is. Because of how bad our QBs are in the pass game teams will continue to just have folks in the box to stop the run.

I'll agree to disagree. I was hopeful after watching Haarberg play at Michigan, but Friday he was bad.
Bill Murray Weather GIF by reactionseditor

I wish TO would stay the hell away from the program other than to watch games from a suite and show up at an occasional booster event to glad hand alumn. What the hell is he doing watching film with the team? The further we can distance from resting on the laurels of our 90s success, the better.

And who gives a shit how well our QB tucks the ball? He's not a running back. I know Rhule's just trying to prop him up publicly and good for Haarberg, but all of that just makes me cringe.

I wish TO would stay the hell away from the program other than to watch games from a suite and show up at an occasional booster event to glad hand alumn. What the hell is he doing watching film with the team? The further we can distance from resting on the laurels of our 90s success, the better.

And who gives a shit how well our QB tucks the ball? He's not a running back. I know Rhule's just trying to prop him up publicly and good for Haarberg, but all of that just makes me cringe.
I care a lot how well our leading rusher (both attempts and yards) protects the ball

you should, too

Reactions: TarheelHuskerFan
So, in this imaginary scenario you've come up with where HH accounts for 22 points, are you also assuming he never turns it over? Let's remember, that's when Travis Hunter and Shilo Sanders were both playing for sCUm. Let's also remember that 7 of our 14 points were in garbage time with their backups in. So, HH probably needs to account for 29 points. You think HH is 29 points better than Sims? Really? Or is this just you buying into one of the dumbest mental gymnastics exercises perpetuated by the anti-Deion crowd to try to move the goal posts yet again as to why he's a bad coach? I'm all for HH over Sims, but this is a really bad take. It would have taken much more than a moderate upgrade in QB to beat sCUm.
what are you yapping about?

yes, there is a wealth of evidence that HH both:

a) doesn't turn the ball over as frequently
b) doesn't put the defense in compromising positions drive after drive

and no, i'm not prepared to pretend that the same Colorado team that squeaked by 2-3 Colorado State & 1-5 Arizona State is the world-beater you've built up in your head.

Reactions: headcard
what are you yapping about?

yes, there is a wealth of evidence that HH both:

a) doesn't turn the ball over as frequently
b) doesn't put the defense in compromising positions drive after drive

and no, i'm not prepared to pretend that the same Colorado team that squeaked by 2-3 Colorado State & 1-5 Arizona State is the world-beater you've built up in your head.

So you just want to ignore and twist what I wrote and come up with general imaginary world scenarios to help yourself feel better. Got it.

Never said they were are world beaters. Said they beat us with or without HH and it's really not even an argument. The scoreboard shows it. Unless you really want to argue that HH is 29 points better than Sims, which would be one of the dumbest arguments ever made on this site.

But, hey, you do you, dude

• Haha
So you just want to ignore and twist what I wrote and come up with general imaginary world scenarios to help yourself feel better. Got it.
says the guy who interpreted this:
it's not a given that Nebraska would win, but I'd say its at least a 50/50 chance.
as this:
is this just you buying into one of the dumbest mental gymnastics exercises perpetuated by the anti-Deion crowd to try to move the goal posts yet again as to why he's a bad coach?

guessing i hurt the feelings of one of your forum boyfriends, and that's why you're getting lost in your emotions. half of you Nebraskan's would rather in-fight than dare to not slobber over other teams.

there's a point where being "Nebraska nice" quickly turns into "Nebraska soft". sorry you hurt your own feelings over a hypothetical situation

Maybe you’re right. I don’t know. JMO

What? May be the dumbest post of the thread. Who gives a shit about how a QB that has a good ground game tucks the ball. This post is cringe. Get a grip

• Haha
Reactions: Landomatic

I’m very happy that Rhule welcomes TO in to watch film and values his input. There’s likely still a lot to be learned from Tom’s input and there’s absolutely no harm in listening to his ideas and suggestions. I LOVE Tom being around the program. He’s a valuable resource.

I’m very happy that Rhule welcomes TO in to watch film and values his input. There’s likely still a lot to be learned from Tom’s input and there’s absolutely no harm in listening to his ideas and suggestions. I LOVE Tom being around the program. He’s a valuable resource.
Without T0, we might be pining about our glory days from the early 70s not late 90s. Hope he can stay involved as long as possible. He's looking pretty frail - time with one of the top, if not the top, legend in the programs history is running short.

Without T0, we might be pining about our glory days from the early 70s not late 90s. Hope he can stay involved as long as possible. He's looking pretty frail - time with one of the top, if not the top, legend in the programs history is running short.
No doubt he can still break down defenses and explain what and why he was doing it with his offense. I see more and more concepts Rhule running that look similar to what Tom ran with wingbacks and pulling linemen.

I think the other aspect of Haarberg that we're not talking about enough is the novel concept of him potentially getting better!.... We haven't had a QB actually come in and develop through their career as a starter in God knows how long. Maybe since Zach Taylor?? What if Haarberg just continues to get a little bit better every week/month, a little bit more confident, sees defenses a tad better, refines his mechanics just a little bit. Wouldn't that be site to see.

I think the other aspect of Haarberg that we're not talking about enough is the novel concept of him potentially getting better!.... We haven't had a QB actually come in and develop through their career as a starter in God knows how long. Maybe since Zach Taylor?? What if Haarberg just continues to get a little bit better every week/month, a little bit more confident, sees defenses a tad better, refines his mechanics just a little bit. Wouldn't that be site to see.
You would hope that would be true of an inexperienced QB running a new offense. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t completely discarded the idea that Purdy could wind some games if we were forced to go to him. He’s had 3 different OCs and 3 different offenses in 3 years to go with his shoulder injury and surgery. Whipple’s offense was a bad fit for him and Haarberg.

I agree with this. You could see some progress and he actually seemed to see it better and throw it decent against Michigan, which is what you want to see. You want to see a QB play at the highest level against the best teams. Hopefully he does get better and we bury a bunch of teams going forward. If HH continues to get better and we get some passing game going we could realistically win out. Will it happen, doubt it, but it will be there for the taking. As much as people are nervous about Maryland, I like that we get them at home in November. Hopefully the weather is chilly and blustery.

You would hope that would be true of an inexperienced QB running a new offense. It’s one of the reasons I haven’t completely discarded the idea that Purdy could wind some games if we were forced to go to him. He’s had 3 different OCs and 3 different offenses in 3 years to go with his shoulder injury and surgery. Whipple’s offense was a bad fit for him and Haarberg.
Purdy won't see the field ever unless Haarberg has a leg amputated and Sims is for sure out. Purdy is awful, and should never see the field again. When the lights come on he folds. I'd give the other two backups a shot before I would go to Chubs again if HH and JS were out.

Purdy won't see the field ever unless Haarberg has a leg amputated and Sims is for sure out. Purdy is awful, and should never see the field again. When the lights come on he folds. I'd give the other two backups a shot before I would go to Chubs again if HH and JS were out.
The other two backups. Give me their names without looking them up

We should be 5-1 right now as Haarberg probably would've gotten us wins against Minnesota and Colorado when Sims went down and Thank God he did as that turnover machine would've lost the games we won and instead of 5-1, we'd probably be either 1-5 or 0-6 with Sims at the helm!

You made my point. No one has any idea who they are and they are still better than Chubs. Chubs is a bad football player and it was on display last year. He might be ok in practice, but he stinks in a game.
Purdy is obviously better than a walk on who didn’t start for his high school team and only threw 7 or 8 passes in his whole high school career. Purdy is next man up if Sims and Heinrich get hurt. You need to get over it. I don’t get the hate.

Purdy is obviously better than a walk on who didn’t start for his high school team and only threw 7 or 8 passes in his whole high school career. Purdy is next man up if Sims and Heinrich get hurt. You need to get over it. I don’t get the hate.
There's no hate, but its painfully obvious to see he sucks. I'd much rather take a shot with the other two than Purdy if for some reason HH or JS were down. With that said HH with a bum wheel and having to throw with his left arm would be better than Chubs.

We should be 5-1 right now as Haarberg probably would've gotten us wins against Minnesota and Colorado when Sims went down and Thank God he did as that turnover machine would've lost the games we won and instead of 5-1, we'd probably be either 1-5 or 0-6 with Sims at the helm!
Lots of assumptions being made

There's no hate, but its painfully obvious to see he sucks. I'd much rather take a shot with the other two than Purdy if for some reason HH or JS were down. With that said HH with a bum wheel and having to throw with his left arm would be better than Chubs.
I think your position is neither logical nor supported by the facts. He’ is where he is on the depth chart.

• Haha
I think your position is neither logical nor supported by the facts. He’ is where he is on the depth chart.

What facts do you want? @king_kong_ posted the stats. Last year he was 22 of 47 (46%) for 147 yards. 0 TDs and 3 picks. He is basically zero threat to run. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the other two QB's could get the same numbers as they are awful. He sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT