ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg Has Single-Handedly Reversed This Program’s Fortunes. 3-1 As Our Starter

We’re not a “good” team yet obviously. But Haarberg is the best we have and hopefully has potential to keep improving. I’m not buying anyone’s opinion who seems to presume to know what Haarberg’s ceiling is, especially with these new coaches. No one knows what that is.

Of course we should try to recruit over Haarberg as we should with every position we can improve whenever we have the chance. But we shouldn’t assume we’ll find a transfer who is better (see Jeff Sims) or that Haarberg isn’t going to improve between now and whenever he has to compete with them. There were a number of people saying Haarberg wouldn’t never play a snap, should transfer, should never have gotten a scholarship, who are now saying we suck so bad we have to get anyone other than him. Meanwhile, we’re finally winning and he is the biggest difference in the equation between then and now. If we can get someone better than Haarberg (which equates to more winning ) then that’s what we all want, but there’s a very real chance he is the best we have next year too.
If we want to take the next step forward, we need someone better than Sims or HH. IMO

If we want to take the next step forward, we need someone better than Sims or HH. IMO
I agree

in 2026 we will be ready for that next step on top of a solid foundation laid by HH (3 straight bowl games)

But we can get to a better “bowl” with better talent….at a few positions including QB. You always want to be better.
of course

we will get better everywhere, including at QB (HH will improve)

in 2025 we will win 9-10 games

then the roster will be fully turned over, we will have upperclassmen who've shed the losing stench and will be ready to ascend

of course

we will get better everywhere, including at QB (HH will improve)

in 2025 we will win 9-10 games

then the roster will be fully turned over, we will have upperclassmen who've shed the losing stench and will be ready to ascend
I agree the odds of Haarberg improving seem greater (so, our best hope) than our chances of bringing in a transfer QB better than him given the recent state of the program. I’m actually somewhat optimistic the staff can improve him too because of their work with Walker at Temple and Brewer at Baylor.

Maybe it wasn’t the best explanation. Personally, every year there are different expectations that are based on the coaching staff, offensive and defensive personnel and talent, schedule, team chemistry, etc. Expectations next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and so on will be different than this year. HH has been “good” so far this year. Never meant to imply he is all conference, all american, or anything like that. But to say he hasn’t been good so far is disingenuous. The remaining 6 -7 games will obviously change how he has performed and whether viewed as “good”, “bad”, or “in between”. I was looking at his performance in the 4 games he has played and not trying to project how he will be the rest of the year, or future years.

We can agree to disagree. I'm not being disingenuous at all when I say he hasn't been good. That's what I believe to be true.

Maybe we have a different definition of what "good" is. By what merits are you basing him being "good" on? Good relative to who I guess would be my question.

Holla

By all means. They should turn over every stone to find a transfer to beat out Haarberg, who should welcome the competition.

Again though, we don’t know Haarberg’s ceiling and how many next steps he can take.

Reactions: king_kong_
By all means. They should turn over every stone to find a transfer to beat out Haarberg, who should welcome the competition.

Again though, we don’t know Haarberg’s ceiling and how many next steps he can take.
True. But he’s been playing D1 fb for a while now. Not sure you can completely fix that throwing motion now.

Reactions: kakdawg
We can agree to disagree. I'm not being disingenuous at all when I say he hasn't been good. That's what I believe to be true.

Maybe we have a different definition of what "good" is. By what merits are you basing him being "good" on? Good relative to who I guess would be my question.

Holla
Harbaugh isn’t afraid to recruit over his existing QBs who have started games by taking a portal guy.

We’re not a “good” team yet obviously. But Haarberg is the best we have and hopefully has potential to keep improving. I’m not buying anyone’s opinion who seems to presume to know what Haarberg’s ceiling is, especially with these new coaches. No one knows what that is.

Of course we should try to recruit over Haarberg as we should with every position we can improve whenever we have the chance. But we shouldn’t assume we’ll find a transfer who is better (see Jeff Sims) or that Haarberg isn’t going to improve between now and whenever he has to compete with them. There were a number of people saying Haarberg wouldn’t never play a snap, should transfer, should never have gotten a scholarship, who are now saying we suck so bad we have to get anyone other than him. Meanwhile, we’re finally winning and he is the biggest difference in the equation between then and now. If we can get someone better than Haarberg (which equates to more winning ) then that’s what we all want, but there’s a very real chance he is the best we have next year too.

You won't get arguments from me there. I hope we can get someone who as better. It's never a given in the portal so that is true. We should ALWAYS look to upgrade as you said. I don't pretend to know what his ceiling is but I know what I see in the passing game and it's pedestrian for the most part. Compared to almost any team in the BIG.

I also agree that if he's the best chance we have at winning they should stick with him and do the best they can to coach him up. All that said MY expectation level will go down if we don't get better there. You guys can choose to believe whatever you like it's all based on opinion. I DO think he can get better but just how much remains to be seen. I'll root like hell for the kid because he's a Husker but I don't let the Husker Red blind me when it comes to what I'm seeing on the field like most "fans" do.

I recognize good and bad play at all positions on all teams the same way and I'm ok to speak on it though most don't wanna hear it. Wishing won't make it go away though.

We can all be on the same page at hoping HH can lead us as far as we can go this year. Next year as well if he's the best we got. But imo our coaches will do everything in their power to improve that position. I promise you neither Ruhle or Satterfield wanna play offense the way we currently are though you will never hear them say it publicly. Other than being physical and running it this isn't what they envisioned this offense looking like. Kudos to them for being able to adapt and play with the cards they were dealt and HH for doing his best to continue improving. Kid plays hard as anyone and seems very likeable. I wish him and all of them the best.

Holla

True. But he’s been playing D1 fb for a while now. Not sure you can completely fix that throwing motion now.
I agree it doesn’t seem like the passing game is ever going to be ideal, but it’s hard to tell what if any coaching he got from Rhule’s predecessors. (And maybe he has to unlearn some things.) He hasn’t been with Rhule and Satterfield that long. Hopefully that bad string of possessions in the Illinois game is the worst we ever see from him. In any event he still is our best bet to maximize wins this year and depending on current unknowns (his ability to improve/availability of decent transfers) potentially next year.

Holla

I am sure we have a different definition of "good" - and that is OK. I am basing things on his performance in this current situation as opposed to comparing his athleticism and skill set against other QBs. Is HH better than JS? Sure seems like it based on the first 6 games. Better than Caleb Williams? Nope. Will HH be "good" in the remaining 6 games? No idea. There are 6 games left that are all winnable. If we finish 6-0 with HH leading the way, I'd say he did "good". If we go 0-6, I'd say he did "bad" (but if that is happening, my guess is JS gets another shot at starting). If we go 3-3, I'd say he did "OK".

I am sure we have a different definition of "good" - and that is OK. I am basing things on his performance in this current situation as opposed to comparing his athleticism and skill set against other QBs. Is HH better than JS? Sure seems like it based on the first 6 games. Better than Caleb Williams? Nope. Will HH be "good" in the remaining 6 games? No idea. There are 6 games left that are all winnable. If we finish 6-0 with HH leading the way, I'd say he did "good". If we go 0-6, I'd say he did "bad" (but if that is happening, my guess is JS gets another shot at starting). If we go 3-3, I'd say he did "OK".

I guess I kinda just don't judge it based strictly on wins and losses. So many other things go into winning games. Just because you win a game doesn't necessarily mean your QB did well. Just because you lost a game doesn't mean your QB played poorly. In general I've always thought the QB gets a bit too much credit or blame based on wins and losses. However I will acknowledge in some cases its obvious when you have elite guys that tilt the favor of a game one way or another. Differencemakers. Your Mahomes, Burrows, Allen's, Rodgers type guys.

In other situations it's more or less teams doing enough good things to win games.

When it comes to HH I think he's done some things that has helped us win some games. His running ability has been needed. He has luckily avoided those major mistakes that cause you to lose games. I say luckily because we HAVE seen the fumbles, the missed interceptions, the tipped passes that we all know eventually will turn into turnovers. BUT since other teams didn't convert AND we won the game we as fans tend to ignore them or act as if they didn't happen. Coaches however know better and can't afford to do that. Those things still need to be cleaned up.

So while I can agree with those who say that kid HAS made some plays. Especially using his legs he's really helped. I can say that and say in the same breath that he's missed a ton in the passing game and could have completely blown some teams out if he could hit routine passes. Like I said before it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If you had said he's done "ok" initially I probably wouldn't have pushed back as much. But "ok" hasn't been the narrative pushed when it comes to HH. I think most fans have went way over the top with him. It's fine because that's what fans do. I just watch football a bit differently I guess. I understand when a guy is doing some good things but also see his limitations and bad things and how it will/can affect your team currently and moving forward.

Sorry so long but one other example for me would be the 2009 Huskers QB Zack Lee. I hope I remember his name right lol. That team was pretty dominant on defense. Had a couple NFL RBs and pretty good WRs as well. Anyways that team won and probably should've won the big 12 championship. Zack Lee however was NOT a good QB. He just wasn't. In fact he would've probably be considered not even "ok" lol. Now I don't think HH is THAT because he is absolutely contributing directly to us winning this year. I just don't think relative to other QBs across the country and even in our own conference what I consider him good. Maybe he gets to that this year and I will definitely be the first to acknowledge it and give him credit. I did the same thing with a guy like Nash Hucmacher this year. Nick Heinrich is another who I was down on and has shown to be much better and I gave them their props for it.

Let's hope come seasons end I'm on here doing the same for HH. That's probably best case scenario for everyone involved so I'm all for it. I just call it like I currently see it.

Holla

I guess I kinda just don't judge it based strictly on wins and losses. So many other things go into winning games. Just because you win a game doesn't necessarily mean your QB did well. Just because you lost a game doesn't mean your QB played poorly. In general I've always thought the QB gets a bit too much credit or blame based on wins and losses. However I will acknowledge in some cases its obvious when you have elite guys that tilt the favor of a game one way or another. Differencemakers. Your Mahomes, Burrows, Allen's, Rodgers type guys.

In other situations it's more or less teams doing enough good things to win games.

When it comes to HH I think he's done some things that has helped us win some games. His running ability has been needed. He has luckily avoided those major mistakes that cause you to lose games. I say luckily because we HAVE seen the fumbles, the missed interceptions, the tipped passes that we all know eventually will turn into turnovers. BUT since other teams didn't convert AND we won the game we as fans tend to ignore them or act as if they didn't happen. Coaches however know better and can't afford to do that. Those things still need to be cleaned up.

So while I can agree with those who say that kid HAS made some plays. Especially using his legs he's really helped. I can say that and say in the same breath that he's missed a ton in the passing game and could have completely blown some teams out if he could hit routine passes. Like I said before it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

If you had said he's done "ok" initially I probably wouldn't have pushed back as much. But "ok" hasn't been the narrative pushed when it comes to HH. I think most fans have went way over the top with him. It's fine because that's what fans do. I just watch football a bit differently I guess. I understand when a guy is doing some good things but also see his limitations and bad things and how it will/can affect your team currently and moving forward.

Sorry so long but one other example for me would be the 2009 Huskers QB Zack Lee. I hope I remember his name right lol. That team was pretty dominant on defense. Had a couple NFL RBs and pretty good WRs as well. Anyways that team won and probably should've won the big 12 championship. Zack Lee however was NOT a good QB. He just wasn't. In fact he would've probably be considered not even "ok" lol. Now I don't think HH is THAT because he is absolutely contributing directly to us winning this year. I just don't think relative to other QBs across the country and even in our own conference what I consider him good. Maybe he gets to that this year and I will definitely be the first to acknowledge it and give him credit. I did the same thing with a guy like Nash Hucmacher this year. Nick Heinrich is another who I was down on and has shown to be much better and I gave them their props for it.

Let's hope come seasons end I'm on here doing the same for HH. That's probably best case scenario for everyone involved so I'm all for it. I just call it like I currently see it.

Holla
Just look at Iowa at 6-1. They must have good QBs with that record. 😀

Holla
I still have nightmares of Lee running the option. There has never been a qb less suited for that, but for some reason, it was called more than once, a lot more than once. Shawn Watson.

I still have nightmares of Lee running the option. There has never been a qb less suited for that, but for some reason, it was called more than once, a lot more than once. Shawn Watson.
the Shawn Watson middle screen should still be in the playbook

We'd be 0-6 without a defence because our O can' score enough. Face it, our D has afforded our offence a chance to win.
90 Day Fiance Tow GIF by TLC

Reactions: Landomatic
Yeah, and we'd be at least 4-2 if we hadn't played Sims two games. Maybe 5-1 because I'd love to play Colorado without spotting them multiple gift touchdowns. It's complete nonsense to refuse to give Haarberg any credit. He's the only thing we've got on offense.
You're better than this argument. Playing the "if" game isn't productive at all. If the refs wouldn't have blown the touchdown call in MN, then we'd be 4-2. if the defense and special teams did their jobs, we'd be 6-0, because a Sims-led offense put up points in every game he played in. There is an unending amount of "if's" someone can throw in to try to make their point. The good (and the bad) is that our QB's skill sets are all pretty much the same. They can run, but they can't pass too well, not to mention WR, has taken a hit. The game-plan looks to have been adjusted and it is getting us by for the time being.

. if the defense and special teams did their jobs, we'd be 6-0, because a Sims-led offense put up points in every game he played in. There is an unending amount of "if's" someone can throw in to try to make their point. The good (and the bad) is that our QB's skill sets are all pretty much the same. They can run, but they can't pass too well, not to mention WR, has taken a hit. The game-plan looks to have been adjusted and it is getting us by for the time being.
Um… no. We scored 10 against MN. 14 against CO and 7 of those were from a HH led drive. Points were no where to be found the first two games.

Last edited:
Um… no. We scored 10 against MN. 14 against CO and 7 of those were from an HH led drive. Points were no where to be found the first two games.
Huh? I didn’t say HH didn’t score. A sims-led offense did score in those games, correct?

Um… no. We scored 10 against MN. 14 against CO and 7 of those were from a HH led drive. Points were no where to be found the first two games.

Sims against power 5= 10 and 14 pts
HH against power 5= 7 and 20 pts

Largest NIL football investment on the team for a backup QB - who we recruited despite him showing us exactly who he is for multiple seasons - one of the highest turnover players in all of power 5 football

This time can’t blame roster management on the Carolina front office
As much as this fact stings, you have to credit Rhule for:

A.) owning his mistake and having the balls to make a change early

And

B.) recognizing & elevating Haarberg to #2 the second he got here

Reactions: WhiplashRed
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT