ADVERTISEMENT

Haarberg Has Single-Handedly Reversed This Program’s Fortunes. 3-1 As Our Starter

People have been telling me for 2.5 years he’d never play a down. Now the goalposts have moved to “he’s not the future”.

This rhetoric is nothing new.

Kid’s got brass balls. He’s unflappable. Seeks out contact. Hard to find leaders of men these days.
I agree with the end of that. Gritty, plays hard etc. etc. I just think in the end nebraska needs a QB with A LOT more talent than what we have on this roster currently.

I agree with the end of that. Gritty, plays hard etc. etc. I just think in the end nebraska needs a QB with A LOT more talent than what we have on this roster currently.
You’ll be hard pressed to find someone with the combination of physical tools and intangibles our guy has now

Rhule’s a molder, and he’s got quite the chunk of clay in Haarberg

Reactions: moralvictories
A little context is not your thing. We all know that. I love me some Haarburg. Especially considering the alternative. But sorry his inaccuracies kept this game close. And he is following the leader of this team. Coach White and the defense.
His running kept us from another "coulda woulda shoulda" husker classic.

The INT was essentially a punt on a doomed drive, and the miss to Fidone wasn't pretty.

Other than that, he wasn't putting the ball on the ground and got multiple first downs that might have saved the game from heartbreak

We could make a list of the 35+ things that HH cannot or will not do at an elite QB level.

Or, we could give him credit for what he does well, which against bad teams, has proven to be enough to win.

For anybody else here who is in sales, winning the sale is all that matters. You can reconstruct with your process, qualifying, closing etc. but if you don't win the deal, you lose your job over time.

Win, or don't win. It's very binary in zero-sum games.

Under HH we win games. We are 5-2 if HH starts beginning of season. Winning is really all that matters.

We won. Rhule has us winning games despite our deficiencies. Lesss ****ing goooooo!!! BR

Last edited:
We could make a list of the 35+ things that HH cannot or will not do at an elite QB level.

Or, we could give him credit for what he does well, which against bad teams, has proven to be enough to win.
The narrative of us making excuses for beating bad teams is becoming tiresome. We have been the bad team. NW, Georgia Southern, IL, etc. if we can beat NW and start beating the teams we should that is a giant step to getting out of the cellar.

For the “we need a transfer crowd”:

We’ve attracted three fairly highly rated QBs over the past two years. All three started multiple games for us.

Only one (CT) actually threw a touchdown pass.

Their combined record: 4-10

And obviously none could keep Haarberg at bay

I’m coming around more to the idea that HH could be the starter again next year. But still think another QB needs to be brought in for depth. We’ve seen what’s behind HH and it ain’t pretty.
Like Pennsy said, put a serviceable Oline in front of the kid and this offense could be good enough that we’d have to find something else to complain about.

We all know, that but i’ll give credit we’re credit is do and for now he is helping us win games along with that fine defensive we have.

2 huge stops especially to start the game that we’ve been missing for years..
Haarberg is leaving two 4* transfers to rot on the bench behind him

You really think another is going to want to throw his hat in the ring this off-season?

I don’t

You can give the ball to one player on our offense to attempt to score. Whom do you give it to?

Any player you might currently list right now as it stands and is not Haarberg, Fidone, or Kemp and I can't take you seriously.

HH is quite possibly the best player on our offense right now.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Will websites ever be able to utilize breathalyzers to allow people to get on their websites? It's been years since I've heard anyone pining this hard for a qb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker Todd
Just want to point out that the guy celebrating most with Haarberg after his TD run was Sims. Sims could be sitting in the corner pouting, or being a drama queen like so many others who have played QB at Nebraska the last 20 years. Not knowing the camera would be on him, he showed genuine excitement for his teammate.

You can give the ball to one player on our offense to attempt to score. Whom do you give it to?

Any player you might currently list right now as it stands and is not Haarberg, Fidone, or Kemp and I can't take you seriously.

HH is quite possibly the best player on our offense right now.
Good point...this year.

If HH is not either the third string qb or an H-back kind of player next year, it's time to move on from Rhule. With the portal in use now in college football, putting an offense this inept on the field is simply not acceptable.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Good point...this year.

If HH is not either the third string qb or an H-back kind of player next year, it's time to move on from Rhule. With the portal in use now in college football, putting an offense this inept on the field is simply not acceptable.
We'll see if you're right about Nebraska should be moving on from Rhule after 6 games in from hire taking over a team that has been less than .500 for 6 years straight... good gravy dude that is quite the hail mary of a take.

He wasn't in my top 3 choices of HC, but he does have a pretty decent track record of restoring losing teams to the upper 1/4 of their respective conferences. Which is pretty darn good. I'd just hate to see him, if he does accomplish that, leave directly after accomplishing that.

HH hasn't played but 4 games in college. And it's not like this O line is providing him, or any would be QB, a well of confidence to draw from.

Just remove the penalties from the Oline and this offense is much better. 4 false starts and 1 illegal shift. Illegal shift not on the line I believe. Only 25 yards in penalties, but the rhythm is all jacked after those and half the teams' penalties for the game.

Good point...this year.

dumbest take going

you people will never learn

Haarberg has 2 4* transfers sitting behind him. they can't beat him out.

3 transfer QBs have combined to go 4-10 the last 2 years. only 1 has won even a single game and he's gone. Haarberg is 3-1 after not playing since C-1 ball in Kearney.

wake up & buy in

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think this is true now. Hope he can get better. He is better than Sims at QB.
Agreed. He’s our best option right now but there are years he would have been #3 in the rotation. He’s a good player but not a great player yet. Personally - not a fan of the sidearmed motion. Lots of passes batted down. Can coaches fix that at this point? Not sure.

Agreed. He’s our best option right now but there are years he would have been #3 in the rotation. He’s a good player but not a great player yet. Personally - not a fan of the sidearmed motion. Lots of passes batted down. Can coaches fix that at this point? Not sure.
they've stated several times on the record that they have no desire to

I wonder if he's hurt and the sidearm is all he can really do in some situations.

Haarberg is leaving two 4* transfers to rot on the bench behind him

You really think another is going to want to throw his hat in the ring this off-season?

I don’t
That’s going to be determined what Rule and Satterfield thinking about what they want.

I wonder if he's hurt and the sidearm is all he can really do in some situations.
it's how he's always thrown

I agree a more conventional motion would likely provide more consistency and was surprised to hear the staff say they have no intention of altering it

I don't care who the QB is as long as they score points and more importantly getting wins. Right now, Haarberg has helped get them 3 wins so keep it rolling. Obviously, we all want them to be collectively more productive but it's readily apparent this is a foundation year. Has he been perfect? Hell no, but no one is.

This offense has a ton of issues (RBs seemingly all hurt, WRs currently lacking playmakers, some awful OL play especially at the tackles, QB accuracy issues) but I hope we continue to see more young guys in there and see what they've got when the lights are brightest. All I want is a bowl game, extra practices and most importantly player development. This is a program that has truly sucked since 2016, it's not an overnight fix.

I just hope by the time the offense reaches a competent level that Tony White is still here because he has done an incredible job with maximizing what he's got and seeing all those young guys making plays. That excites me for the future. Just need the offense to start picking up the slack and a bowl game becomes an actual possibility.

Reactions: baseball31ne
I don't care who the QB is as long as they score points and more importantly getting wins. Right now, Haarberg has helped get them 3 wins so keep it rolling. Obviously, we all want them to be collectively more productive but it's readily apparent this is a foundation year. Has he been perfect? Hell no, but no one is.

This offense has a ton of issues (RBs seemingly all hurt, WRs currently lacking playmakers, some awful OL play especially at the tackles, QB accuracy issues) but I hope we continue to see more young guys in there and see what they've got when the lights are brightest. All I want is a bowl game, extra practices and most importantly player development. This is a program that has truly sucked since 2016, it's not an overnight fix.

I just hope by the time the offense reaches a competent level that Tony White is still here because he has done an incredible job with maximizing what he's got and seeing all those young guys making plays. That excites me for the future. Just need the offense to start picking up the slack and a bowl game becomes an actual possibility.
White has been good and will always have the benefit of drawing up defenses against the least explosive conference in the country while here

gets easy when no opposing QBs/playmakers require an ounce of respect

load the box, heat them up and play 1-on-1 on the outside all year long

that's a winning formula in the B1G

Reactions: moralvictories
He’s our best option solely out of fear of sims inexplicably putting the ball on the carpet. He has an arm-punt similar to TM, doesn’t have much zip, and doesn’t have much accuracy. That isn’t getting fixed. He is in there to do some tough runs and not turn it over. He got pretty loose with it last night, which is concerning.

We can afford the HH approach because we’ve got a good defense and the West blows. If we were going up against good offenses, and we were required to put points on the board, HH wouldn’t be playing, not at QB at least.

Good point...this year.

Honestly, this one stupid take.

He’s our best option solely out of fear of sims inexplicably putting the ball on the carpet. He has an arm-punt similar to TM, doesn’t have much zip, and doesn’t have much accuracy. That isn’t getting fixed. He is in there to do some tough runs and not turn it over. He got pretty loose with it last night, which is concerning.

We can afford the HH approach because we’ve got a good defense and the West blows. If we were going up against good offenses, and we were required to put points on the board, HH wouldn’t be playing, not at QB at least.
If Haarberg were not playing, then who would, Sims or Purdy? No thank you, I would take my chances and keep playing Haarberg until we get a QB who can legitimately beat out Haarberg for his spot.

doesn't have much zip?

whatever you're watching, it's not the same as everyone else

he fires slants and digs in there on time and usually on target

misses high way too much but the more reps he gets the more I believe he'll improve

If Haarberg were not playing, then who would, Sims or Purdy? No thank you, I would take my chances and keep playing Haarberg until we get a QB who can legitimately beat out Haarberg for his spot.
I don’t have a problem with either one of them. Under the circumstances, HH is the safe play, and we can afford to not have to score much. But if he keeps throwing it like he did last night, he will be (or at least should be) sitting. His best asset is not turning the ball over.

I don’t have a problem with either one of them. Under the circumstances, HH is the safe play, and we can afford to not have to score much. But if he keeps throwing it like he did last night, he will be (or at least should be) sitting. His best asset is not turning the ball over.
Sims and Purdy are turnover machines, which is why Haarberg should be the starter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT