ADVERTISEMENT

Frost postgame comments

Frost took a little jab in the postgame presser.

“You guys asked me about play-calling last week…I should correct myself, you didn’t ask me, but then you wrote articles about the play-calling last week.”

He also defended his QB.

“I don’t read too much but I hear the whispers.. he’s tentative, he’s not playing well… nobody’s going to be saying that after tonight.”

I’m curious about a a few things here.
1. Was that warranted by Frost? Or not a big deal at all?
2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, Solich and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see where that was headed.
3. Does Frost vs media have potential to get ugly? It was a honeymoon at first for sure. What would it take for it to take a bad turn? I’m surprised to see things getting a little chippy already.
As long as they win it was smart. Media are scared little babies, calling them out will make them think twice before writing unsubstantiated articles without any empirical merit. Now by year four is they are still losing half their games the media will jump on him and use his demise for sales. It is very hard because Scott has been successful at many places and our media sorts are hacks who do not have to compete, many haven't been in bigger markets, and they have no consequences for being poor, while Scott has a million consequences for his players not executing.

Reactions: headcard
So why does he care what local sports writers say? Why is he wasting time reading something from people who've never coached or played the game at this level? Is he reading this message board too?

Frost was mad they criticized his play-calling - well, he has had some pretty dumb play calls so far this year. My grandma would have known to call a QB sneak on 1st and goal from the half-yard line late in the 4th quarter. Or not to call a swing pass from your own end zone. Criticism comes with a job that pays $5 million/year.
So ask your grandmother. Was it dumb to call the swing pass to Mo when he scored the long TD against Colorado? Was it dumb to hand to Wandale first and goal from the 1, when he scored the previous drive. Or only when it doesn’t work?

this is almost an exact quote from the Bo Pelini era - no one will care if he wins. Bo would still be here if he had a conf championship or 2
I was thinking the exact same thing.....I hope he held the same view of Pelini as he does for Frost.

So ask your grandmother. Was it dumb to call the swing pass to Mo when he scored the long TD against Colorado? Was it dumb to hand to Wandale first and goal from the 1, when he scored the previous drive. Or only when it doesn’t work?
In his defense, the swing pass against Colorado wasn't from their own end zone. I'd probably agree with him on it being called from one's own end zone or deep in one's territory....I still remember seeing Jack Squirek of the Raiders picking off Thiesman's swing pass to Joe Washington and galloping all of 12 yards into the end zone in Super Bowl XVIII.

Yeah, I understand his frustration but I sensed a bit of Bo attitude in there. We don't need an "us vs the world" mentality like BO did to his teams. The fans need to be patient and stop going bat shit crazy after 1 year and 4 games and he and the team need to understand the 20 years of frustration from fans. Understanding on both sides is needed right now.
Actually...I think this team COULD use a little “us vs the world” right now. Its exactly what this team needs. Just not the ss bunker mentality of extreme bo took it to.
There is zero chip on our shoulder and it shows.

Reactions: husker2612
I have officiated. There aren't any good reasons to call things based on what you thought happened instead of what you saw happened. There's also no excuse for awarding Illinois the ball when there was not a clear, immediate recovery before the whistles blew. Step 1 is knowing the rules. Our snapper getting absolutely blown up on field goals is explicitly against the rules and yet, it went on all game.
Yeah Im tired of this “theyre human” bullshit.
If theyre human it means they can be biased and need to be held accountable.
And it means as humans they need to be called out for mistakes and learn from them immediately.

1) Maybe what they saw, from an angle, was a hold....and made a mistake.

2) Watch the fumble all the way through. An Illinois player picks the ball up and runs into the end zone. I'd say scooping up the ball counts as a clear recovery....and people far more knowledgeable than either you or I saw it that way, and made the decision accordingly.

3) Long snappers in college football can be hit 1 second after the ball is snapped. I didn't see anything last night on FGs or PATs that looked any different than any other FG/PAT in any other game I watched yesterday.

In short.....both teams had an iffy penalty or 2 called against them, and both teams got away with things...just like every other game played yesterday.
Stop.
That fumble reverse was absolute shit.

this is almost an exact quote from the Bo Pelini era - no one will care if he wins. Bo would still be here if he had a conf championship or 2
Surely you arent equating scotts presser to the ones pelini was known for, are you?
Do you think pelini was fired because of “that” (singular) quote???

Reactions: Bugeater
I bring up the past because this is how fans felt about Pelini in the first half of his tenure when we were winning 9 games every year and we were all sure better things were in store. When the 9 wins without anything more became tiresome he was an a-hole for displaying the same behavior people were praising earlier in his time at Nebraska.
It got worse.
If you don't think it got worse, you're using revisionist history.

Actually...I think this team COULD use a little “us vs the world” right now. Its exactly what this team needs. Just not the ss bunker mentality of extreme bo took it to.
There is zero chip on our shoulder and it shows.
Yeah I can see that side of it too. US vs the world is fine as long as it isn't directed towards the fans. We are all in this together.

I have no problem with his approach. There were many times TO called out people in the media, met with them 1:1 to tell them to basically shut up, or completely restrict access for some. Scott is taking them to task, just like a leader should. Not calling people names, not being passive aggressive, simply telling them how it is. It's his program. He gets to call the shots. Just like a boss should.

Stop.
That fumble reverse was absolute shit.
So....no Illinois player picked it up? Is that what you're sticking with? OK....

You know how to avoid such situations? That would be to not fumble. Don't blame the officials for a situation that the players put themselves in.

Yeah Im tired of this “theyre human” bullshit.
If theyre human it means they can be biased and need to be held accountable.
And it means as humans they need to be called out for mistakes and learn from them immediately.
Just out of curiosity....why would the refs be biased against a team that's done nothing in the last 20 years, and favor a team that's done even less?

And....why does a referee need to be called out and held accountable to you when you aren't called out in public and held accountable for anything you do on your side job (you do know that being a college ref isn't a full time job, right)?

Referees are there to officiate a game played by 18-23 year old boys/young men. They aren't elected officials. You don't pay their salary...therefore, they aren't accountable to you or any other fan of any team. They are accountable to the conference, and no one else.

Last edited:
Looks like the poster formerly known as scavenger has been reborn as a holier than thou, know it all, condescending troll. How refreshing. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
I think you’re missing the point. Plenty of coaches are emotional, it’s personal.

you're missing the point, when you have won 6 national titles people don’t care if you are salty with the media. That sort of stuff is earned.

Secondly, Frost was asked about play calling on the Monday after the game presser. He replied with, I don’t want to talk about last week.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
Ok, I'm reading all this crap, and certain things come to mind.
Who needs a whistle? Lets just keep digging every play,regardless of whistle.
We are atop the best conferences in cfb, shoddy refs? Really? When the networks jump in, is that when it'll change?
Bo? Forget Bo, let him struggle where he belongs.
In a family, it is us against the world, some fans jst dont get it, and seperates Bo's ideas from SF's, and if you can't figure that out, move to ohio.

Coach Frost said that call at 1st and goal was a mistake and he screwed up. I'm good with his explanation

Reactions: jlh19801
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT