ADVERTISEMENT

Frost even worse in hindsight

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Looking at how bad this team is, combined with the injuries, and we still have a chance to win 6 games in Rhule's first year.

Don't get me wrong, I was not high on Rhule when we hired him. His decision making, especially with how he prepared his offensive roster, leaves me scratching my head at times.

But let's be honest, if you gave this roster to Frost we'd probably only have 1 or 2 wins. Rhule has done more with less. If you gave Rhule a freshman AM (who I think Frost ruined) and some of the receivers we had I think the program would be at a 9 win level by now. We'd probably already be at 7 wins if he had recruited a decent QB this year.

Frost just plain sucked against the West, which makes him look even worse because with how bad it is the opportunity was there to rebuild the program if he had decided it was more important to him than partying.

So even though yesterday sucked I'm starting to feel a little better overall as a program. Now if we lose out then maybe I'll re-evaluate. Perhaps the "success" of a 6 win season would be better attributed to our DC. Time will tell.

Last year's team actually had better personnel overall. The offense had a decent QB and playmakers at receiver. It was just dreadfully coached. This team is getting everything out of everyone and has gutted out some wins in games I have no doubt were losses under Frost. La Tech, Illinois, NW were all games that would have been losses under Frost. And probably Purdue as well.

Yeah, it was an absolute disaster from start to finish. He never should have been given that last year, and I think it set us back more than initially realized. His last 2 recruiting classes he basically gave up on, and the majority of the bigger names he got transferred out.

That being said waiting a year to get Rhule I think will serve us better long term. But this is a rebuild. The transfer portal can help us rebuild sooner than before, but I wasn't expecting much this year. From the beginning considered a bowl game this year a success with our current roster. And with all the injuries we've had I still think 6+ wins this year is a hell of a coaching job.

Rhule had far more experience coming into the Nebraska position than Frost. Just a thought.

Rhule had far more experience coming into the Nebraska position than Frost. Just a thought.
True, but look at what Busch and White did with essentially the same personnel on D that we had before. Bo at least had the Guts to get Watson to move on when he didn’t like the O. Frost couldn’t do the same with his DC. That is on him.
And Satterfield is probably Ok, but it’s hard to tell if you don’t have a QB at QB. All due respect to HH, he may get better, but he needs serious work.

Our QB recruitment and development under Frost was a train wreck wrapped inside the Hibdenburg heading into a volcano. It's still screwing us. Rhule has to break it this off-season.
One way you break it is to show a willingness to give different QBs a chance to play. I don’t understand letting a guy make mistake after mistake without consequences.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
Taking "so far" seriously and not like a fairy fan boy ......
He's done alright. I have no idea, as some of you claim to know, what Frost would have done. He was really falling there at the end.
Rhule has carved out a respectable record via bad opponents despite bad breaks.
Two pseudo wins and then a 3-0 record against legit but not good P5 teams. Not even in the ballpark against Michigan and shamefully wilted against Colorado.

You could make $100s of millions if you could case study this and show why so many can come in and perform so poorly. Ultimately it's leadership. But it's not like the others didn't have proven leadership records. Fit matters, which is why it's so shocking Frost was so bad. Hopefully Rhule can get some talent here, he seems to fit pretty well so far.

Reactions: Lincoln100
True, but look at what Busch and White did with essentially the same personnel on D that we had before. Bo at least had the Guts to get Watson to move on when he didn’t like the O. Frost couldn’t do the same with his DC. That is on him.
And Satterfield is probably Ok, but it’s hard to tell if you don’t have a QB at QB. All due respect to HH, he may get better, but he needs serious work.

That experience wasn't producing much of anything, just another thought.

Clearly Frost was lacking something, or many things, but as a former player here, NFL player, multiple coaching roles and ultimately a successful head coach I don't think relative experience between the two coaches was the issue.
To clarify; I wasn't defending Frost. I was offering a potential reason (in addition to all the off-field issues) he couldn't effectively implement and communicate his vision for the program to his players. IMO, Rhule is doing a phenomenal job of doing just that and we're seeing growth before our eyes despite a disastrous series of injuries and a defection. He's coached in a number of roles in college and pro levels, but first and formost, as a head coach in challenging situations. As a head man, Frost had two years in a recruiting hotbed, put together a little juggernaut for a hot minute, before getting his dream job and clearly wasn't ready. There was no second rebuild, no humbling as an NFL head coach. That stuff matters. Rhule sure thinks so, at least.

On D, apparently we forget Chinander's popularity heading into that last season. He'd gotten rave reviews for the progress they made on D during that 1-score loss extravaganza. Everyone was like, "we have to keep Chins from leaving!" They played winning defense for the year before, then melted down unexpectedly. I like White better, but if next year they come out and stink on D, would you rail on Rhule for not firing him by game 3 or 4? I dunno, maybe you would..

To clarify; I wasn't defending Frost. I was offering a potential reason (in addition to all the off-field issues) he couldn't effectively implement and communicate his vision for the program to his players. IMO, Rhule is doing a phenomenal job of doing just that and we're seeing growth before our eyes despite a disastrous series of injuries and a defection. He's coached in a number of roles in college and pro levels, but first and formost, as a head coach in challenging situations. As a head man, Frost had two years in a recruiting hotbed, put together a little juggernaut for a hot minute, before getting his dream job and clearly wasn't ready. There was no second rebuild, no humbling as an NFL head coach. That stuff matters. Rhule sure thinks so, at least.

On D, apparently we forget Chinander's popularity heading into that last season. He'd gotten rave reviews for the progress they made on D during that 1-score loss extravaganza. Everyone was like, "we have to keep Chins from leaving!" They played winning defense for the year before, then melted down unexpectedly. I like White better, but if next year they come out and stink on D, would you rail on Rhule for not firing him by game 3 or 4? I dunno, maybe you would..
Frost inherited a bunch of NFL talent at UCF.

It's going to take more than this season to wash the stink out of this program. These are the same kids who folded like a blanket as soon as shit got tough, that mindset is in the process of changing.
Rhule’s recruiting class will be the worst ranked of any head coach we’ve had in their first full year, so I don’t think it’s going to get much better. He’s not in Texas anymore.

Rhule’s recruiting class will be the worst ranked of any head coach we’ve had in their first full year, so I don’t think it’s going to get much better. He’s not in Texas anymore.
And I'll go out on a limb and say it'll be one of the most productive we've seen for the Huskers in ages. What good is a top 25 class if you can't keep it on campus or develop it?

If its in the top 25 I will be very happy. I personally don't buy into ratings. Frost had good classes and nothing to show 4 it.

I wouldn't. I wouldn't make a knee jerk call like that. We have to build, he has shown good results in his first year, next year will be better if the offense stop turning ball over.

Yeah, it was an absolute disaster from start to finish. He never should have been given that last year, and I think it set us back more than initially realized. His last 2 recruiting classes he basically gave up on, and the majority of the bigger names he got transferred out.

That being said waiting a year to get Rhule I think will serve us better long term. But this is a rebuild. The transfer portal can help us rebuild sooner than before, but I wasn't expecting much this year. From the beginning considered a bowl game this year a success with our current roster. And with all the injuries we've had I still think 6+ wins this year is a hell of a coaching job.

Refreshing to see someone that is not a child, understands the game, what we're up against , and lives in the real world.

If its in the top 25 I will be very happy. I personally don't buy into ratings. Frost had good classes and nothing to show 4 it.

Yep the ratings are a joke and Frost's classes were a prime example of why. He went through the list of left over "4-stars" in the last two months leading up to signing day. These guys were still available for good reason but Frost knew how people would eat up the stars and recruiting rankings so he gambled on them. We saw how that turned out: like an onside kick up 14 in Dublin.

Like almost everything else with Frost it was just smoke and mirrors.

Stargazing is what killed our program.

Have we ever had a 4 star QB really do well here?

Reactions: Laner2
Look at Frost's 2nd best class in terms of team ranking. Then just lol or cry or both.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yep the ratings are a joke and Frost's classes were a prime example of why. He went through the list of left over "4-stars" in the last two months leading up to signing day. These guys were still available for good reason but Frost knew how people would eat up the stars and recruiting rankings so he gambled on them. We saw how that turned out: like an onside kick up 14 in Dublin.

The star rating argument in a tough one. People will point out top classes and success. Bama, OSU, Georgia, etc. It hasn't panned out for us. I counter with Iowa, Wis, my favorite KSU. These programs do more with less star power. They're Builders and coaching make the difference. We're closer to them in program level .We're not a top program so I don't live in that dream world of us landing that type of talent....yet.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

Knew his father well ! Not sure how Scott could have turned out any differently !

• Wow
Reactions: Spectrumalaska
And I'll go out on a limb and say it'll be one of the most productive we've seen for the Huskers in ages. What good is a top 25 class if you can't keep it on campus or develop it?
What good is a bottom 50 class that you do keep on campus?

Reactions: GaRed
I will say it, I am impressed so far with how Rhule has handled things. We won't really know for awhile yet if he is the one to put this program back on 9-10 win seasons, but he has exceeded my expectations so far with how he's handled things.. even his mistakes in letting go 2 good backs and the whole QB fiasco with Sims. He is building a team, and anyone can see that. I'm optimistic that he's making more good calls than bad ones.. see how it goes.

I will say it, I am impressed so far with how Rhule has handled things. We won't really know for awhile yet if he is the one to put this program back on 9-10 win seasons, but he has exceeded my expectations so far with how he's handled things.. even his mistakes in letting go 2 good backs and the whole QB fiasco with Sims. He is building a team, and anyone can see that. I'm optimistic that he's making more good calls than bad ones.. see how it goes.
We have many guys who can't see a build or don't want to watch thru the process.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Maybe Rhule will find his Osborne

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT