ADVERTISEMENT

Frost postgame comments

Amazing how that works, isn't it....

I officiated some park and rec volleyball in college. When I got into coaching, my basic operating attitude was that someone needed to be pretty bad before I'd say much of anything. Even though I was coaching football, my time reffing VB left an impression.

I just asked Baxter if he's ever officiated in today's society...and told him that if he ever does, he'll change his tune pretty quick.
My point is the media except the players and coaches especially on the losing side to stand at a podium and answer questions, including some stupid ones. Ike the loss after Colorado it was very emotional these guys need to absorb what just happened and answer questions almost before they can regroup their thoughts. So my simple question is why are the officials exempt?

Frost took a little jab in the postgame presser.

“You guys asked me about play-calling last week…I should correct myself, you didn’t ask me, but then you wrote articles about the play-calling last week.”

He also defended his QB.

“I don’t read too much but I hear the whispers.. he’s tentative, he’s not playing well… nobody’s going to be saying that after tonight.”

I’m curious about a a few things here.
1. Was that warranted by Frost? Or not a big deal at all?
2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, Solich and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see where that was headed.
3. Does Frost vs media have potential to get ugly? It was a honeymoon at first for sure. What would it take for it to take a bad turn? I’m surprised to see things getting a little chippy already.
RguqUOhMQaKV_3905_700.jpg

we had a bad call against us but I think illinoise got one or two against them. as long as it evens out

They are bad at their jobs. Missed PI the last play on dismuke and the obv hold on LJax. Was certainly not one sided.

They are bad at their jobs. Missed PI the last play on dismuke and the obv hold on LJax. Was certainly not one sided.
I always figured you have to play above bad calls. I suppose one in the last minute of the game can kill you though...but to hear penn state fan say it, only ohio state and michigan get them...not the teams like illinoise.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Osborne had his share of critics. Fans have a way of becoming spoiled by national championships. By 1978 Nebraska had experienced a string of 9-3 seasons, and it seemed like Nebraska had been passed up by not only Oklahoma, but possibly Missouri (losses in 1973, '74, '76, and '78) as well. It really wasn't until the amazing run from 1982-84 that things settled down, and people started to think Osborne was going to get Nebraska a few more championships.

Grumbling was well underway again by 1993. Nebraska had been 2-9 in bowl games from 1983-93, with four losses coming at the hands of Florida State, and three more to Miami. Conventional wisdom at the time was that the game had passed Osborne by. He was the nice guy who couldn't win the big game. That his slow, plodding "three yards and a cloud of dust" offense from the 1950's couldn't keep up with the modern, very quick, teams from Florida. The low point was probably the 1991 season, my sophomore year at UNL, as Colorado had gone 2-0-1 against Nebraska from 1989-91, and the bowl games weren't very competitive.

The crazy thing was that there were split polls for the championships in both 1990 and 1991, and Nebraska had played (and lost to) all four of those teams. That 1991 Washington team was one of the best ever. So it wasn't like they were losing to teams like Northern Illinois or Troy. But they were finishing seasons ranked in the mid-teens, and that was getting old. But you know how it turned out. Everybody loves a happy ending.

We'll see what happens. Nebraska could play almost exactly like last season, and still be 7-2 going into the Wisconsin game. The difference might be the ability to turn those 3-5 point losses into wins. Finishing with 8-9 wins and a bowl would at least get Nebraska back to where they were under Pelini, and help quiet the critics. Last season they didn't really start to play better until about their sixth game, which is where we are now.

Frost took a little jab in the postgame presser.

“You guys asked me about play-calling last week…I should correct myself, you didn’t ask me, but then you wrote articles about the play-calling last week.”

He also defended his QB.

“I don’t read too much but I hear the whispers.. he’s tentative, he’s not playing well… nobody’s going to be saying that after tonight.”

I’m curious about a a few things here.
1. Was that warranted by Frost? Or not a big deal at all?
2. How did the media traditionally treat Osborne, Solich and then Callahan? I remember the Pelini era and he brought a lot of the scrutiny on himself (although his QB T Martinez was unfairly criticized at times). As for Riley, the media didn’t have to be too harsh, everyone could see where that was headed.
3. Does Frost vs media have potential to get ugly? It was a honeymoon at first for sure. What would it take for it to take a bad turn? I’m surprised to see things getting a little chippy already.
It should at least tell you that Scott is thinking about it. So yeah, it bothers him.. it's almost as if he wanted to be congratulated for his playcalling, in eeking out a win against heavyweight Illinois. Wandale's monster 4th quarter is what won that game for us imo. Yeah, there was some nifty playcalling there for a series or two, but Scott wanted the media to know about it.

It absolutely could take a bad turn. You have to remember, Bo was direct, but mostly likeable. Scott has a cold, hands off approach. He doesn't even attempt to try, so there isn't any goodwill at all that has been created the past 18 months with the media. He gives no information, and the media has put up with it so far.

When the press starts to actually lay in to Scott, it's going to hurt his ego and piss him off big time.

Ultimately, this same sort of thing is what made Scott a national champion after having a horrible jr year as a player. Maybe history needs repeating.

Regardless, I don't like the system he has. It never won a championship at Oregon, and just like a myriad of other coaches who came here and tried to do their own thing, it failed miserably.

Only Bo actually tried to do it somewhat the old way, as much as he could given our OC, and he did have baseline level success.

Scott is a stubborn punk, but that media thing nearly drove Bo insane, and is def a weakness for Scott too. I think the media should let it rip.

I think every coach has his own unique relationship with the local media. Bill Belichek is a nasty piece of shit to local media. Hasn’t hurt him one bit on the field of play.

Winning cures everything. If Frost brings us back to greatness on the field of play, nobody will give a shit about his demeanor with the likes of Sipple and McKewon.

My point is the media except the players and coaches especially on the losing side to stand at a podium and answer questions, including some stupid ones. Ike the loss after Colorado it was very emotional these guys need to absorb what just happened and answer questions almost before they can regroup their thoughts. So my simple question is why are the officials exempt?
I don't expect anyone to do anything...

It might also be the fact that the football gods understand that what the coaches and players do have far more influence on the outcome of a game than do the officials.

Regarding TO, wasn’t the first thing he said to the ‘95 team was something about ‘remember, last year I was considered the guy that couldn’t win the big game.’

So yeah, I’m sure he heard the media.

I wouldn't necessarily say they were bad. Early in the game I noticed our players were getting roughed up and held a lot, especially Noa for some reason. So being a judgmental NU fan I was yelling for some PI. But then I started noticing our players doing the same thing. For whatever reason the officials were not going to call PI unless the DB pulled out a pit bull and shot the receiver. So while Dismuke's hit at the end of the game normally would have been called PI, not calling it was consistent with the way the game had been called up until then. Right or wrong.

for better or worse the state lives and breathes football.
the media are asking questions that the fan base are also asking - many fans and media people are reasonably knowledgeable and the questions are for the most part legitimate.

At the very least the fans welcome the opportunity to learn more about the X-Os and the "why" things are done

the fan support, sellout streak, spring game attendance, road game attendance, etc are all strongly emphasized as to why Nebraska is "special" .... the fan base questioning decisions is part the deal

if you are uncomfortable being asked questions about play selection or why certain things are being done then coach at a place where these questions aren't asked - UCF, be a coordinator, or win enough where you can pretty much answer as you please

it's not hard giving vanilla answers

Reactions: SC_'sker
The only coaches I covered who treated me like a fellow human being were Bill Foster, the former basketball coach at Miami when the Hurricanes revived the program in the mid-'80s, and Galen Hall, the former football coach at Florida, before he was fired for violating NCAA rules (he was from Oklahoma, so I assume he didn't know better).

The rest were either openly hostile or simply indifferent.

Don Shula: Openly hostile unless television cameras were there.
Tom Osborne: Completely indifferent.
Jimmy Johnson: See "Don Shula"
Norm Sloan: Belittling.

Of course, even though I spent only a few fleeting moments with him in group press conference settings, Bob Knight seemed to feel as if the whole room should be obliterated by a neutron bomb — after he left, of course.

I was fresh out of the UNL College of Journalism then, and I made $26,000/year. After six years of that, I went into teaching. I mean, openly hostile douchebags in that profession are limited to a few select parents and a couple of school board members.

Wouldn’t it be great to have the head official take questions after each game? Ok ref why did you call holding on the left tackle when it clearly shows there was none. That would be great

Yeah it would be great but we sort of know the answers...They think they did see that hold or that PI or that fumble.

Or they didn't see it and a player got away with it.

Imagine living and breathing this thing 24/7, working the 80 hour weeks and then some guy that can’t even recognize a defensive front writes an article bashing your play calling. Tens of thousands of fans read it and far too many take it as gospel. I can see how that is frustrating.

So why does he care what local sports writers say? Why is he wasting time reading something from people who've never coached or played the game at this level? Is he reading this message board too?

Frost was mad they criticized his play-calling - well, he has had some pretty dumb play calls so far this year. My grandma would have known to call a QB sneak on 1st and goal from the half-yard line late in the 4th quarter. Or not to call a swing pass from your own end zone. Criticism comes with a job that pays $5 million/year.

I Love It. His fire and lack of filter at times is exactly what is needed. The fact is, He is what he says he is. Our coach will go to battle for his players on and off the field and it shows every time he speaks.
We have dealt with NFL coaches coming in and giving us all the bs coaches speak or simply being a CEO type coach instead of being a real players coach. There is nothing wrong with a coach going off (which this was barely anything) or calling out a reporter. It Needs To Be Done More. The media people need to realize they can't just write what ever they think will get clicks and views, without any response at all. This is the media problem we are faced with today. They think they can write or report anything they want and then cry about it when someone says anything to them about it. Every coach has to deal with the mess. Look at how many times Saban has done it (and far worse in my opinion). Heck, The U.S. President Is Even Dealing With It.
If someone starts talking crap about you, without talking to you first, I would expect you to say something about it also. That may not be the "Nebraska" (zip your lip and go hunker down in a corner somewhere) "Way", but it is the right thing to do. Much Respect To Coach Frost For Doing It.

I Love It. His fire and lack of filter at times is exactly what is needed. The fact is, He is what he says he is. Our coach will go to battle for his players on and off the field and it shows every time he speaks.
We have dealt with NFL coaches coming in and giving us all the bs coaches speak or simply being a CEO type coach instead of being a real players coach. There is nothing wrong with a coach going off (which this was barely anything) or calling out a reporter. It Needs To Be Done More. The media people need to realize they can't just write what ever they think will get clicks and views, without any response at all. This is the media problem we are faced with today. They think they can write or report anything they want and then cry about it when someone says anything to them about it. Every coach has to deal with the mess. Look at how many times Saban has done it (and far worse in my opinion). Heck, The U.S. President Is Even Dealing With It.
If someone starts talking crap about you, without talking to you first, I would expect you to say something about it also. That may not be the "Nebraska" (zip your lip and go hunker down in a corner somewhere) "Way", but it is the right thing to do. Much Respect To Coach Frost For Doing It.

this is almost an exact quote from the Bo Pelini era - no one will care if he wins. Bo would still be here if he had a conf championship or 2

Last edited:
Reactions: SC_'sker
It should at least tell you that Scott is thinking about it. So yeah, it bothers him.. it's almost as if he wanted to be congratulated for his playcalling, in eeking out a win against heavyweight Illinois. Wandale's monster 4th quarter is what won that game for us imo. Yeah, there was some nifty playcalling there for a series or two, but Scott wanted the media to know about it.

It absolutely could take a bad turn. You have to remember, Bo was direct, but mostly likeable. Scott has a cold, hands off approach. He doesn't even attempt to try, so there isn't any goodwill at all that has been created the past 18 months with the media. He gives no information, and the media has put up with it so far.

When the press starts to actually lay in to Scott, it's going to hurt his ego and piss him off big time.

Ultimately, this same sort of thing is what made Scott a national champion after having a horrible jr year as a player. Maybe history needs repeating.

Regardless, I don't like the system he has. It never won a championship at Oregon, and just like a myriad of other coaches who came here and tried to do their own thing, it failed miserably.

Only Bo actually tried to do it somewhat the old way, as much as he could given our OC, and he did have baseline level success.

Scott is a stubborn punk, but that media thing nearly drove Bo insane, and is def a weakness for Scott too. I think the media should let it rip.

Good riddance.

So why does he care what local sports writers say? Why is he wasting time reading something from people who've never coached or played the game at this level? Is he reading this message board too?

Frost was mad they criticized his play-calling - well, he has had some pretty dumb play calls so far this year. My grandma would have known to call a QB sneak on 1st and goal from the half-yard line late in the 4th quarter. Or not to call a swing pass from your own end zone. Criticism comes with a job that pays $5 million/year.

Shoot, I would. Wouldn't you? I would read stuff and listen to sports talk shows if I was the coach.

Reactions: Top_Gun_

Because he is human? Telling people not to have feelings for stuff they read is asinine. We are in a small market and I don't care who the coach is here, they are going to read the small amount of media about them at some point. He may not read every article, but it is going to happen.

Players will also talk about it as well because good or bad they are interested if they make the media in some way.

this is almost an exact quote from the Bo Pelini era - no one will care if he wins. Bo would still be here if he had a conf championship or 2
Ok. Not sure how that is relevant, but thanks for commenting/throwing up the past.
The point is reporters talk crap and question coaches and shouldn't be surprised or get butt hurt when they get some fingers pointed back at them. Yes, it's your job, but you control the direction you go with things. This is real life though and you should know things you say (or write) may have to come face to face with the person you mention at some point. 2 Way Street When The Person You Speak About Has A Platform Also.

Ok. Not sure how that is relevant, but thanks for commenting/throwing up the past.
The point is reporters talk crap and question coaches and shouldn't be surprised or get butt hurt when they get some fingers pointed back at them. Yes, it's your job, but you control the direction you go with things. This is real life though and you should know things you say (or write) may have to come face to face with the person you mention at some point. 2 Way Street When The Person You Speak About Has A Platform Also.

I bring up the past because this is how fans felt about Pelini in the first half of his tenure when we were winning 9 games every year and we were all sure better things were in store. When the 9 wins without anything more became tiresome he was an a-hole for displaying the same behavior people were praising earlier in his time at Nebraska.

Some food for thought about people who live to make mountains out of molehills:
  • Bill Callahan thought Nebraska fans are dicks.
  • Bo Pelini thought Nebraska fans are dicks. (Direct quote: "Eff you, Fans. Eff all of you")
  • Mike Riley has probably never thought anyone was a dick in his entire life.
  • Scott Frost is our current head coach. If he (or his staff) ends up with the same opinion of our fanbase as Callahan and Pelini had by the end of their tenures, it might not be Callahan and Pelini and Frost who are the problem here.

Some food for thought about people who live to make mountains out of molehills:
  • Bill Callahan thought Nebraska fans are dicks.
  • Bo Pelini thought Nebraska fans are dicks. (Direct quote: "Eff you, Fans. Eff all of you")
  • Mike Riley has probably never thought anyone was a dick in his entire life.
  • Scott Frost is our current head coach. If he (or his staff) ends up with the same opinion of our fanbase as Callahan and Pelini had by the end of their tenures, it might not be Callahan and Pelini and Frost who are the problem here.
In Callahan's defense, he KNEW that Oklahoma's "rufneks" were f**king hillbillies.

Oh my lord pull your damn skirt up... yes he is warranted, you have all been talking and saying the crap yes he is more then warranted to stand up for himself... good lord when did our fan base turn into such Whiny little pukes, that can’t handle someone even defending himself?
I don't think anyone is "freaking out" about Frost's comments. It was a little uncharacteristic of him though, which is why I thought it was interesting. In the grand scheme of things this topic is small potatoes - the fact that they won and this team continues to improve - is what's most important (but hey, what are message boards for!). I agree that he's in the right to defend himself and team, and he did it well. It was very matter-of-fact and not snarky. I'm not saying the media needs to be in his corner, but they, like the fans, should be patient and have a little better perspective of what SF inherited. It'll take some time, and the less opposition and nay-saying he has the deal with, the quicker it'll happen.

This is why anyone who actually pays for sports media content (premium articles and such, not streaming games or anything like that) is wasting their money. Those writers lives revolve around writing about kids playing glorified college intramurals and still act entitled to get their story. I get tired of their whiny asses. While I went to UNL I was actually in the sports media program in the journalism school but went a different route because I got tired of the shallow pettiness of it all. Just mostly a bunch of people who've never played sports higher than a high school level or were really good at Madden/NCAA that think they know how things are. Working as a film guy for the football team as well the media guys after practice really started to rub me as entitled creeps. Sure the media are one reason why college sports are so big and make a lot of money, but their jobs revolve around sports, not the other way around.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT