ADVERTISEMENT

Frost even worse in hindsight

Tried Google translate on the above and got, "Monkey larve is green sweat." Do you have another way of saying what you said?
Cool Hand Luke Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

We have many guys who can't see a build or don't want to watch thru the process.
Well this 'build' thing isn't very well defined.

Coaches make decisions. Sometime they are brilliant but that same brilliant coach can do some pretty dumb stuff. Getting emotionally attached to a qb is chief among them. I always liked Spurrier's approach. Screw up and you go to the sidelines and get your ass chewed. The counter to that is you are destroying their confidence.
IMO, the latter produces a soft, emotionally weak player.

Last year our offensive line was very poor, so are they this year. There weren't a lot of younger players being worked into things until all the injuries. Malachi Coleman was the head bench boy until all the other guys got hurt. I didn't see anything I'd call building.

On the other hand, White immediately had his no name defense playing at close to their capability. He wasn't content with the building bs. His guys are well coached, aggressive, etc. It doesn't take years.

Coaches often hit their ceilings pretty quickly. Pelini came in to a program that was in disarray and had them a 9 win program year one....and pretty much every year there after. Most of his firing was due to frustration from being pretty much as high as he could take us record wise.

So I would ask. What is Rhule building and explain in detail. He's like very other coach. Recruiting the best players he can get and then setting up a winning culture. Frost did the same thing, despite having a great pedigree he just wasn't able to get too far with it.

• Haha
Reactions: OzzyLvr

Coaches make decisions. Sometime they are brilliant but that same brilliant coach can do some pretty dumb stuff. Getting emotionally attached to a qb is chief among them. I always liked Spurrier's approach. Screw up and you go to the sidelines and get your ass chewed. The counter to that is you are destroying their confidence.

Last year our offensive line was very poor, so are they this year. There weren't a lot of younger players being worked into things until all the injuries. Malachi Coleman was the head bench boy until all the other guys got hurt. I didn't see anything I'd call building.

On the other hand, White immediately had his no name defense playing at close to their capability. He wasn't content with the building bs. His guys are well coached, aggressive, etc. It doesn't take years.

Coaches often hit their ceilings pretty quickly. Pelini came in to a program that was in disarray and had them a 9 win program year one....and pretty much every year there after. Most of his firing was due to frustration from being pretty much as high as he could take us record wise.

So I would ask. What is Rhule building and explain in detail. He's like very other coach. Recruiting the best players he can get and then setting up a winning culture. Frost did the same thing, despite having a great pedigree he just wasn't able to get too far with it.
You already have you're mind made up . If you don't understand the task at hand for this program and the obstacles in the way , then any debate will be lost on you. What Rhule has been handed compared to Bo is similar ? Totally different state of a program.

The star rating argument in a tough one. People will point out top classes and success. Bama, OSU, Georgia, etc. It hasn't panned out for us. I counter with Iowa, Wis, my favorite KSU. These programs do more with less star power. They're Builders and coaching make the difference. We're closer to them in program level .We're not a top program so I don't live in that dream world of us landing that type of talent....yet.

We need to be somewhere in between. HCMR absolutely will get guys developed that said we need to recruit at a level higher than those bottom 3-4 teams you mentioned. We won't be Bama or Georgia but better talent in and similar development to those bottom guys mentioned gives us a solid shot. If you can somehow find a game changing QB to add to that you really would have a chance to do something special.

Holla

Agree with a lot of this but disagree completely with Frost setting up a winning culture. How?

Holla

We need to be somewhere in between. HCMR absolutely will get guys developed that said we need to recruit at a level higher than those bottom 3-4 teams you mentioned. We won't be Bama or Georgia but better talent in and similar development to those bottom guys mentioned gives us a solid shot. If you can somehow find a game changing QB to add to that you really would have a chance to do something special.

Holla
I realize fans think we should do better but at this point I can't really grasp why. I'm banking on recruiting more to those forementioned teams because I see that as more of a reality in our current state. When we start winning consistently, I'd expect more . I really don't care about rankings personally . I'm all about letting a coach find his own guys, build his team, and then judge the results in a few years.

Last edited:
I realize fans think we should do better but at this point I can't really grasp why. I'm banking on recruiting more to those forementioned teams because I see that as more of a reality in our current state. When we start winning consistently, I'd expect more . I really don't care about rankings personally . I'm all about letting a coach kind his own guys, build his team, and then judge the results in a few years.
good point

process >>>>> results at this point

so many here are mired in weekly outcomes, myself included

Pelini came in to a program that was in disarray
LOL. Pelini came in 2008. In 2006, Nebraska had just won the Big 12 North with losses coming from #4 USC, #9 Auburn (bowl game), #11 Oklahoma (Big12 CCG), #13 Texas and a 7-6 Okie St (bad loss) with Texas & Auburn being winnable games.

While the program wasn't in great shape, it was hardly in "disarray" as Callahan left the cupboard full for Pelini.

What Rhule is coming into.... Now that's disarray.

Yep the ratings are a joke and Frost's classes were a prime example of why. He went through the list of left over "4-stars" in the last two months leading up to signing day. These guys were still available for good reason but Frost knew how people would eat up the stars and recruiting rankings so he gambled on them. We saw how that turned out: like an onside kick up 14 28-17 in Dublin.

FIFY. Nebraska held an 11 pt lead twice in that game, never 14.

The build thing is not so hard to define IMHO.
If you see players get better during the year that’s building. If you see young players step in when players go down and be effective, that’s building. If you change the philosophy of a team from quick scoring O, bad defense, no control of the game- to methodical offense, rested good defense, controlling the outcome of the game-that’s building.

I have seen all of those this year, after a long stretch of seeing none of the above with Frost.

LOL. Pelini came in 2008. In 2006, Nebraska had just won the Big 12 North with losses coming from #4 USC, #9 Auburn (bowl game), #11 Oklahoma (Big12 CCG), #13 Texas and a 7-6 Okie St (bad loss) with Texas & Auburn being winnable games.

While the program wasn't in great shape, it was hardly in "disarray" as Callahan left the cupboard full for Pelini.

We have many people on here with signs of dementia.
Mock And Daisy Everyone Is Crazy GIF by Chicks on the Right

Last edited:
I know. I guess it's today's instant gratification society we've created.
Do you really think that is relevant to football?

Expecting wins is one thing. But when laymen fans can visibly discern ineptitude that shows deeper issues. I don't think it's instant gratification to expect improvement.

I realize fans think we should do better but at this point I can't really grasp why. I'm banking on recruiting more to those forementioned teams because I see that as more of a reality in our current state. When we start winning consistently, I'd expect more . I really don't care about rankings personally . I'm all about letting a coach find his own guys, build his team, and then judge the results in a few years.
We can't do better? Freekin TONY WHITE already!! Did he find 'his own guys'? Thats the same line trotted out for every new coach who isn't getting it done. I am not disappointed in Rhule (except that dumb qb portal move which I criticized prior to the season), but I am a little concerned. I stated also that if Benhart is starting and still playing poorly I would be livid. There was no magic with our incumbent offensive line, nothing. Our backs are mess but its another position neglected in the off season. Offensively I think a lot of our problems have to do with Rhule not bringing in some sorely needed portal players.
I credit Rhule with bringing in White but also blame him for a lot of our offensive woes. We are what we are. Now don't twiddle your thumbs after the season is over.
Sounds like I expect a lot....Yes I do.

Agree with a lot of this but disagree completely with Frost setting up a winning culture. How?

Holla
I wasn't saying that. I said he was trying to do the same thing but failed. I was relating my problem with the concept of rebuilding.
The only true example of rebuilding was at Marshall in the early 70's. Its a hyped, bs term.

Holla
That's the beauty of it. You get an overall outstanding defense and then hope you can recruit difference makers. Its a tough gig I understand. When they can sign more megabucks with the pros and now other colleges.

I wasn't saying that. I said he was trying to do the same thing but failed. I was relating my problem with the concept of rebuilding.
The only true example of rebuilding was at Marshall in the early 70's. Its a hyped, bs term.
Satterfield is trying to adjust his offense to a QB with severe limitations in the passing game. He’s working with one hand tied behind his back. The ONE failure it seems thus far was Rhule believing they could fix Sims. I still think it might be possible but I don’t want to see him starting. People forget while he’s played he hasn’t played in this offense before and he missed much of last year with an injury

Likewise you’ve got HH who is clearly in it up to his eyeballs if not over his head at times. The QB would be a problem for any OC we had brought in.

Satterfield is trying to adjust his offense to a QB with severe limitations in the passing game. He’s working with one hand tied behind his back. The ONE failure it seems thus far was Rhule believing they could fix Sims. I still think it might be possible but I don’t want to see him starting. People forget while he’s played he hasn’t played in this offense before and he missed much of last year with an injury

Likewise you’ve got HH who is clearly in it up to his eyeballs if not over his head at times. The QB would be a problem for any OC we had brought in.
I wouldn't say the offensive line has improved much, if at all.

We can't do better? Freekin TONY WHITE already!! Did he find 'his own guys'? Thats the same line trotted out for every new coach who isn't getting it done. I am not disappointed in Rhule (except that dumb qb portal move which I criticized prior to the season), but I am a little concerned. I stated also that if Benhart is starting and still playing poorly I would be livid. There was no magic with our incumbent offensive line, nothing. Our backs are mess but its another position neglected in the off season. Offensively I think a lot of our problems have to do with Rhule not bringing in some sorely needed portal players.
I credit Rhule with bringing in White but also blame him for a lot of our offensive woes. We are what we are. Now don't twiddle your thumbs after the season is over.
Sounds like I expect a lot....Yes I do.
You expect Rhule to make chicken salad with chicken shit, I understand. You know building a defense is much easier, it's more effort and want. If you expect to win with what we have on offense in November , we'll start drinking now. Yeah Rhule saw that we would lose two backs, the third regressing, and the whole receiving core vanish. Come on man. We suck , we have sucked, and no Magic coach could have come in here and did any better. You want to see something that is almost impossible to have been developed at this point. You look at facts and realities as excuses. That is the makings of a frustrated dude.

A popular thing to say since DR didn’t commit to us, and the line struggled mightily last year. But several players have improved, and it is hard to imagine the younger players being able to fill in the last few years, like they have this year. Rushing YPG are better. We have problems in pass protection, but our quarterback has issues finding open receivers, and our receivers have problems getting open. So it’s not just the OL.

Not true. I guess it's just your definition of the word. What did Klieman have to do to get KSU rolling ? Build. KU coach ? Build. Building is creating something that wasn't there before as my way to look at it.

Last edited:
If we could be like any of the OSUs out there, that would be great.

No argument from me🥴

I think people forget the previous staff never seemed to have a vision on offense and didn't recruit to any strength . Rhule comes in and decides we're gonna be this ,with average talent . Half of that gets injured and he still has to make it function. A first year starter behind our line alone should have anybody understand we're in deep do do.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz

Oh I can agree with that sentiment currently. I'm just talking about moving forward. We now have OSU,Mich,Penn St,USC, Oregon and probably UCLA all in the conference. Not to mention Washington. So in order to get in THAT mix we are gonna need to recruit at a higher level sooner rather than later. But to think we are at that level right now would be crazy.

Keep that defense at a high level and try and build an OL and hit in a QB. I think you beat those west coast teams with physicality not speed.

Anyways good response brother.

Holla

Bad thing is if we had just gotten the Sims from GT we would be a lot better now. THIS Sims isn't even a shadow of THAT one. He truly fell off a cliff this year. Not sure if it's pressure or something else but he's not even close to the guy they recruited. Say what you will but he wasn't THAT bad at GT.

Holla

They were making steps forward until these last injuries. We’ve run the ball pretty well until last weekend. Every former Husker O lineman I’ve listened to this year has said the same. There wasn’t a noticeable drop off from that against Purdue and I really think we didn’t try to run it enough last weekend. IF our QB has taken better care of the ball the narrative would be moot.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Yeah Frost was terrible at Nebraska. It shouldn't be hard to win 6 games in a season at Nebraska. It is actually amazing in the ineptitude that Frost never could. The Frost era is best defined by the middle of the 2019 season. All he had to do was beat Minnesota, Indiana or Purdue to get to 6 wins to make a bowl. he couldn't beat any of them.

Pelini couldn't win the big games, Frost couldn't beat anybody.

They were making steps forward until these last injuries. We’ve run the ball pretty well until last weekend. Every former Husker O lineman I’ve listened to this year has said the same. There wasn’t a noticeable drop off from that against Purdue and I really think we didn’t try to run it enough last weekend. IF our QB has taken better care of the ball the narrative would be moot.
I can feel the wrath of Kong lurking around the corner

Bad thing is if we had just gotten the Sims from GT we would be a lot better now. THIS Sims isn't even a shadow of THAT one. He truly fell off a cliff this year. Not sure if it's pressure or something else but he's not even close to the guy they recruited. Say what you will but he wasn't THAT bad at GT.

Holla

My belief is that IF Sims hadn’t fumbled on that I’ll fated 4th down that he would be our starting QB again. JMO.

I don't think that's far fetched at all. Hell I still wonder sometimes after watching us lately if I'm being honest.

Holla
I think Rhule would like to give him another shot but doesn’t want to alienate a big chunk of the fanbase by benching a Nebraska kid. He might have no choice this Saturday if we dig a hole again with turnovers.

Last edited:
I think Rhule would like to give him another shot but doesn’t want to alienate a big chunk of the fanbase by benching a Nebraska kid. He might have no choice this Saturday if we dig a hole again with turnovers.
Oh I think that’s a little bit of exaggeration, I don’t care if the quarterback is from mars I just don’t want turnovers and wins

Reactions: king_kong_

Callahan's last year(2007) we were 5-7 (beating no one but there was that epic home win of one point to Ball State), that was back when 5-7 wasn't exactly celebrated, it was considered a disaster. Not only that but we lost 6 of our last 7 games, most of them not even close. Callahan was a good recruiter so it wasn't that but he just lost control of the program. We were a one legged man in an ass kicking contest that year. Everyone was beating us like a red headed step child. I'd call that disarray. But if you think it was wonderful maybe your basement is full of Bill Callahan memorabilia, some celebrating that epic 5 loss season he heroed in 06.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT