ADVERTISEMENT

DR to UGA soon?

As I understand the payment side of NIL, Jimbob gets a sweet NIL at Bayou U. The NIL is paid out not in a lump sum but in payments each year. Jimbob's stock goes crazy up after a breakout year at Bayou U and is offered triple the NIL at West BumFack U so Jimbob takes his skills there for one year, does ok but based on his rep alone gets another offer from a third college for triple the NIL of WBFU and splits. Three programs, three breaks in team cohesion and a player who is now overpaid, overpriced and underwhelming.

Spare me the whole "It's what the market can bear" crap. One of the things that always separated college sports from professional sports was passion of the college fanbase. Free agency kills that and makes it no different than rooting for the Houston Oilers.....and no one ever got off doing that.

As I understand the payment side of NIL, Jimbob gets a sweet NIL at Bayou U. The NIL is paid out not in a lump sum but in payments each year. Jimbob's stock goes crazy up after a breakout year at Bayou U and is offered triple the NIL at West BumFack U so Jimbob takes his skills there for one year, does ok but based on his rep alone gets another offer from a third college for triple the NIL of WBFU and splits. Three programs, three breaks in team cohesion and a player who is now overpaid, overpriced and underwhelming.

Spare me the whole "It's what the market can bear" crap. One of the things that always separated college sports from professional sports was passion of the college fanbase. Free agency kills that and makes it no different than rooting for the Houston Oilers.....and no one ever got off doing that.
thanks.

change can be scary.

It is disappointing....but he was never going to come here. His Dad and possibly his uncle helped him play this bunch of hayseed rubes. Particularly disappointed with his dad....no way he did not know Nebraska had no chance of landing the god-king quarterback....and was in on the fake interest.

I look forward to a new line coach next year. One who possibly can coach the line without a possible recruit as a nephew.

And change is not always good. My guess is that the NIL three years from now will not be the NIL of today, just for the reasons I put above. I would guess if you and sat down over a beer and talked about this we'd agree more than we disagree.
the thing that stood out to me most from the Drew Rosenhaus (NIL agent) interview I posted earlier this week was that even he didn't know what's allowed/disallowed

what's clear right now is they are all 1-year contracts, the NCAA remains firm on no strict "pay-for-play" (such as player x gets $$$ per touchdown) and it will continue to lean on non-waiver transfer restrictions in an attempt to mitigate some player movement

there is no doubt things will be different 3 years from now

Reactions: Laner2
It is disappointing....but he was never going to come here. His Dad and possibly his uncle helped him play this bunch of hayseed rubes. Particularly disappointed with his dad....no way he did not know Nebraska had no chance of landing the god-king quarterback....and was in on the fake interest.

I look forward to a new line coach next year. One who possibly can coach the line without a possible recruit as a nephew.
Totally reject that DR, his father or uncle played NU. No proof of that and the family character argues against it.

My eyes showed me an improved OLine as the season went on last year. Probably a combination of Donovan's coaching taking effect and play-calling that wasn't bughouse nuts.

the thing that stood out to me most from the Drew Rosenhaus (NIL agent) interview I posted earlier this week was that even he didn't know what's allowed/disallowed

what's clear right now is they are all 1-year contracts, the NCAA remains firm on no strict "pay-for-play" (such as player x gets $$$ per touchdown) and it will continue to lean on non-waiver transfer restrictions in an attempt to mitigate some player movement

there is no doubt things will be different 3 years from now
And I was afraid of this. Because I didn't understand how NIL worked I asked a question about it on the board and the consensus was what I posted above. So I may well not have it right.....anyone have any sources how NIL works?

And I was afraid of this. Because I didn't understand how NIL worked I asked a question about it on the board and the consensus was what I posted above. So I may well not have it right.....anyone have any sources how NIL works?
I think you do have the nuts/bolts (what little exist) right

1yr contracts based solely on participation on a team

money can come from collectives and businesses, but not individuals (Mark Cuban can't cut a personal $2M check directly to an IU hoopster, for instance)

once a player transfers, their NIL contract at their former school is null/void

One day at a nursing home, an elderly woman ran into the T.V. room, pulled up her skirt and yelled “SUPERPUSSY!”

She then ran into the activity room and exposed herself again and yelled “SUPERPUSSY!”

She then ran into the dining room where a 95 year old man was about to be served his supper. She jumped up on the table directly in front of him, pulled up her skirt once more yelling “SUPERPUSSY!”

The old man took one look, turns to the server and says… “I’ll have the soup!”

And change is not always good. My guess is that the NIL three years from now will not be the NIL of today, just for the reasons I put above. I would guess if you and sat down over a beer and talked about this we'd agree more than we disagree.
The BIG and SEC need to get out of the umbrella of the NCAA (or the NCAA change course) and decide to allow a sizeable portion of those media/conference payouts to be allocated toward player acquisition. It benefits the schools, the conferences and the media companies.

Absurd that these head coaches make several fold more than the top players - invest in players the same way as you invest in coaches

One day at a nursing home, an elderly woman ran into the T.V. room, pulled up her skirt and yelled “SUPERPUSSY!”

She then ran into the activity room and exposed herself again and yelled “SUPERPUSSY!”

She then ran into the dining room where a 95 year old man was about to be served his supper. She jumped up on the table directly in front of him, pulled up her skirt once more yelling “SUPERPUSSY!”

The old man took one look, turns to the server and says… “I’ll have the soup!”
I guffawed at the complete randomness of this......hilarious.

And if the NIL monster goes to its logical conclusion, it's free-agency madness at the high school level.

I did not think that the NCAA and universities should have been allowed to make obscene profits off of young athletes, but you've got your head firmly planted in the dirt if you think this isn't going to get ugly real soon.
The cat is out of the bag already. I think there’s a finite amount of money boosters are going to shell out and Cam Newton etal proved it already was going on. Hell Reggie Bush got a freaking house in LA.

Meh. Don’t see it quite as bleakly as you do. I would be for limits on NIL but I don’t think it ruins the fan passion.

Nah, you keep things cordial no matter what happened. Especially publicly. In today's transfer portal world we live in, zero reason to burn bridges. Not to mention dad's an alumn, uncle's still on staff, etc.

Pulling an offer for the #1 recruit who's a legacy and stating publicly that we did it because he was saying good things about the national champs while he was visiting? Let's just say that would not be a good look for us.
Agreed. Most likely scenario is that Rhule cooled on him which is to be expected. You gotta be in on several good quarterbacks. If his number two wanted to commit, I think we’d take it.

Reactions: BleedRed78
My son-in law is a D1 Bball assistant coach and it is a brutal mess.

• Wow
Reactions: SkerInCo and Laner2

Let’s be real, he was using Nebraska to drive up his NIL payout. USC is the college that caught on early and told him to take a hike.

We need to focus on kids that don’t play games with their recruitment. Once it starts to drag out or they commit and renig on the commitment . Move On

Disagree completely. His Dad and Uncle are what caused him to consider Nebraska in the first place. And that was a very good thing. What won out in the end IMO is that his Dad believes that the Georgia QB coach will be better for his career development. Every kid has a right to make the best choices for his career over the wishes of some entitled fans.

NIL is good in theory....let kids make some extra bucks doing ads for local businesses, while the businesses get the attention from having a local "celebrity" in their ads. It's also good that the players are allowed to put on camps for kids and make a few bucks.

The whole "collective" nonsense just seems stupid for me. If they are going to allow that, then you might as well just allow the schools or boosters to pay them directly. Then put in a salary cap like every other professional league does, and make them sign 4 year contracts.

Disagree completely. His Dad and Uncle are what caused him to consider Nebraska in the first place. And that was a very good thing. What won out in the end IMO is that his Dad believes that the Georgia QB coach will be better for his career development. Every kid has a right to make the best choices for his career over the wishes of some entitled fans.
Hopefully there's some benefit to the #1 recruit in the country at least giving us a look; maybe it at least gets other recruits' attention.

I don't think it's gone down like that at all. If anything, it might have been that DR had little to no interest in NU and dad and uncle convinced him to at least give us a look before making up his mind. He came, he saw, he decided he still had no interest and everyone collectively decided to move on. Seems MUCH more likely than some big conspiracy that the 3 of them were playing us the whole time.

I don't think it's gone down like that at all. If anything, it might have been that DR had little to no interest in NU and dad and uncle convinced him to at least give us a look before making up his mind. He came, he saw, he decided he still had no interest and everyone collectively decided to move on. Seems MUCH more likely than some big conspiracy that the 3 of them were playing us the whole time.
This. If his last name wasn't Raiola, this kid would not be giving us a second thought.

If he is for sure going to UGA then I don't know what he is waiting on. Seems odd. What's the holdup?

Will become public first weekend in June when UGA has the biggest recruiting weekend of the year. DR, Wingo, couple other receivers all on officials alone with several defensive players. Been committed for some time.

• Sad
Reactions: HuskerO
Will become public first weekend in June when UGA has the biggest recruiting weekend of the year. DR, Wingo, couple other receivers all on officials alone with several defensive players. Been committed for some time.
So it sounds like the first weekend in June will be hillbilly heaven.

Reactions: headcard
Hahaha, I apologize for some of our idiot fans' behavior. A lot of us haven't handled the last few years of sucking very well.
Why are you apologizing to this loser. I can only imagine the grotesque man child from GA living on another team’s board.

Something like this I suppose..
7jexsr.jpg

Why are you apologizing to this loser. I can only imagine the grotesque man child from GA living on another team’s board.

Something like this I suppose..
7jexsr.jpg
Because I actually like having fans from other programs around to discuss things with. Unless they're just blatantly trolling, which @Grumpyolddawg isn't from what I've seen. It would benefit some of us to open our eyes to some things outside of Nebraska from time to time. And I also think it's a pretty insecure look for anyone from Nebraska to be throwing stones at Georgia right now.

Because I actually like having fans from other programs around to discuss things with. Unless they're just blatantly trolling, which @Grumpyolddawg isn't from what I've seen. It would benefit some of us to open our eyes to some things outside of Nebraska from time to time. And I also think it's a pretty insecure look for anyone from Nebraska to be throwing stones at Georgia right now.
Who’s throwing stones? I’d say a GA fan throwing stones on a Nebraska board would be the definition of insecure, but you do you newbie.

Well I think it's pretty strange for a guy from Georgia to be hanging around a Nebraska message board when the recruit in question has supposedly been committed to UGA for a while.

It would be like going to whatever other team was recruiting Ian Flynt and continuing to hang around their board after he committed to us. What would be the point other than to argue?

We've got ourselves a cuck!

This from a Nebraska fan? A school with an acceptance rate that anyone can get in and you want to call another fanbase a hillbilly?
Don’t take it personal. Probably has something to do with the number of teeth a person has in their heads. If only you all had more teeth…

• Haha
Reactions: Laner2
Hold on a hillbilly second here! This jabroni suggested we open our eyes to things outside of Nebraska. Let me do some research here real quick. Please bear with me…ok…yeah..hmm…yes.. ok got it. After some data collecting and some help from other sources, I have confirmed it. The site is called INSIDE NEBRASKA!!!! Now take your Georgia red colored glasses, grab that grumpy dawg guy, and GTFO!

A distinction without a difference. And 70 percent of Nebraska's population lives in the Omaha or Lincoln metro areas, so more city than country, despite the farmer as a mascot.
No, there's a huge difference.

Despite? That population wasn't the case when our mascot first came about and we're not gonna change our mascot to some wussy city slicker.

A distinction without a difference. And 70 percent of Nebraska's population lives in the Omaha or Lincoln metro areas, so more city than country, despite the farmer as a mascot.
Spot on as usually..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT