ADVERTISEMENT

Covid 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all good. I am sure in real life I could go have drinks with both you and Rambo. I am sure one of you would get a Bud and the other a Cosmo, but hey, who am I to judge.

We are all on the same team in the end.
Top Gun and I love talking football and in reality, we have more in common, politically, you would think. I’m more of a whiskey guy (indoors) or beer guy (outdoors) but drinking with Husker fans is always fun. Take care.

Great website...model that shows peaks for each region and state and hospital capacity

http://www.healthdata.org/covid

Before you call everybody back to work...this model was made with all current social distancing measures in place through May. Looks like we might get a football season.

Yeah, and it was completely wrong from the beginning post social distancing measures, they revised it Sunday night and it has still been tracking completely off. You and the government falling for the same bad models.

Reactions: bluenrg
I’ve seen some of the same reports that indicate maybe the tide is turning a bit more favorable. But instead of feeling like the sacrifices we’ve made, regardless of how minor or major, contributed to a less awful outcome, I should say a major EFF YOU! to the a**holes that have inconvenienced me the past 3 weeks.

Does that sound right?

Reactions: headcard
So you assume he votes the way he does because he’s been brainwashed by the media? Funny, I assumed it meant he cares about people. I assumed he cares about roads, schools, health care and infrastructure. That he cares about more than just his checkbook, but maybe your are right, he’s probably just been brainwashed by the big bad media, except the right wing ones, they are different somehow.
Actually, when mikka brezinski accused him of making money off of chloroquine, she's making money off of urns and caskets.
We can do this all day.

Last edited:
Reactions: leodisflowers
voting Democrat: a sure indicator you care about people!
voting Republican: you only care about money and that's bad!

perhaps generalizations aren't the best way to understand people's individual stances on things.

there are plenty of studies that show, over time, persistent welfare payments (a Democratic party staple - 'we care about people!') are the worst thing for individuals and their families.

there are also plenty of studies that show cutting taxes (a Republican party staple - 'look at my checking account!') as a vague & general policy does nothing to spur the economy.

who votes for who is a personal choice that often times is a useless marker by which to judge one's character.
In order to feel good?
Dems see reps as bad people with ideas
Reps see dems as people with bad ideas.
The saying, hate the sin, not the sinner falls on deaf ears.

Am I a horrible person if I'm laughing at the story that just broke showing New York auctioning off a bunch a ventilators? Stockpiled a bunch, couldn't afford to maintain them, then auctioned them off in '16. This is awkward...how are they going to blame that one guy at the top over this?
Follow tthe money, they were auctioned off, not given away

Actually, when mikka brezinski accused him of making money off of chloroquine, she's making money off of urns and caskets.
We can do this all day.

Don’t you see a problem with this? Instead of picking and choosing which terrible partisan media personality you can justify believing and accusing people with different views than you of being brainwashed, etc maybe we start living in reality and calling a spade a spade. Maddow, Lemon, Carlson, Hannity are all terrible and are all pushing dangerous agendas. One side can be brainwashed just as easy as the other by listening to these wackos and yes they are all wackos, regardless of your politics. Things are so extremely partisan it’s insane, it’s like you can’t even talk about anything without people screaming talking points from one of these partisan infotainment nut jobs and it hasn’t always been this way. We should be able to discuss failures of the President without being accused of being liberal whatevers and we should be able to discuss successes of the President without being called MAGA rednecks. And it’s OK to change your opinion, that’s what we are supposed to do when we get new information. Anyway I’m sure you are right about whoever that person is and how she is making money. Rant over

Don’t you see a problem with this? Instead of picking and choosing which terrible partisan media personality you can justify believing and accusing people with different views than you of being brainwashed, etc maybe we start living in reality and calling a spade a spade. Maddow, Lemon, Carlson, Hannity are all terrible and are all pushing dangerous agendas. One side can be brainwashed just as easy as the other by listening to these wackos and yes they are all wackos, regardless of your politics. Things are so extremely partisan it’s insane, it’s like you can’t even talk about anything without people screaming talking points from one of these partisan infotainment nut jobs and it hasn’t always been this way. We should be able to discuss failures of the President without being accused of being liberal whatevers and we should be able to discuss successes of the President without being called MAGA rednecks. And it’s OK to change your opinion, that’s what we are supposed to do when we get new information. Anyway I’m sure you are right about whoever that person is and how she is making money. Rant over
Agreed, but no context.
Like carlson, he shouldnt be pointing fingers on china? Same for hannity.
This is common knowledge, which we should be sharing. But instead, those I've railed against carry the china is good mantra
Kicking the pols, fine, but accusing profiteering during a crisis is friggin evil.

If they'd done their job, trump has between 99 to 14999 dollars invested in the company that makes this drug. In a mutual fund.
So, these evil accusals haveto end first.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ker-sanofi-could-be-as-small-as-99-2020-04-07

Last edited:
Agreed, but no context.
Like carlson, he shouldnt be pointing fingers on china? Same for hannity.
This is common knowledge, which we should be sharing. But instead, those I've railed against carry the china is good mantra
Kicking the pols, fine, but accusing profiteering during a crisis is friggin evil.

If they'd done their job, trump has between 99 to 1499 dollars invested in the company that makes this drug. In a mutual fund.
So, these evil accusals haveto end first.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...ker-sanofi-could-be-as-small-as-99-2020-04-07
I don’t know, I honestly am not following which individual conspiracy theory each of these shock jocks is pushing at the moment. They all have a track record of insanity and dangerous, extreme partisan politics. I am not going to try to justify defending any of them, because they will be on to some other insane indefensible conspiracy theory before you know it.

I just look at folks who reported accurately on Russia hoax coup, and fake impeachment. You can’t deny the journalists that Carlson and Hannity had on were accurate. John Solomon was incredibly dead on.
That's because they did their jobs.
Mark Levin usedreporting from the ny times, the wa post, media attersand others to prove it.
Then, they carry falsehoods about whethera man said it wasnt politically motivated, but he actually said that it couldn't be ruled out.
This is real fact checked journalism, but gets called conspiracy theory until thousands of depositions, millions spent proved it was no conspiracy theory.
Same for the impeachment, where the recently fired icig worked for a woman on shiffs legal staff, where he changed the rules, and schiff has held his testimony from the people,all the people of the US.

In order to be on the same page, these atrocities have to be accounted for, instead of, nothing to see here, the fbi illegally spies on everybody.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Whatever, like some reddit user is more credible than some random, politically biased dork on Twitter. ;)

Yes. It correlates with reporting from the Oregon, what my Portland friends tell me Bc and what I saw first hand down here 80m to the South. Due to the earlier decisions of mayors and school districts we were already practicing what was akin to social distancing before Kate Brown’s decision. She was actually criticized here for not acting sooner.

I'll wait for more info to measure it against the flu. I highly doubt it'll be the 10 - 20 times more deadly that people have hysterically claimed.

Considering how the pneumonia deaths have dropped and china virus deaths have increased I don't think there's any doubt people are dying. It's just labeling the same dead people a different way.

It would be reasonable to expect a new virus to hit a more vulnerable portion of the population harder, but it's not like everyone is going to die. Likely not even 1% of those over 60.

GBR, this Coronavirus is SO MUCH MORE HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS.

Look at these few cruise ships that got hit with it.

I championed the flu on BS China data. You are driving it home on a false pretense.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
So kinda related... Restaurants that feature buffet style eating will be a thing of the past... Right?
Better be. A friend of mine that owned a steakhouse took out his salad bar. He got sick of having to throw out food after seeing women stick the finger in something to taste it before they took it. He went through gallons of salad dressing because of that.

Holy shiite, Covid-19 could be a blood disease
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pstorage-chemrxiv-899408398289/22129965/covid19202000328EN1.pdf
Effects the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen. Causes oxygen/carbon dioxide cycling issues in lungs, massive inflammation, and glass lung effects that are so persistent with severe/critical cases. Not typical ARDS, and high pressure ventilation can exacerbate the symptoms. This explains why ventilation with Covid-19 has such a high mortality rate compared to influenza or other viral pneumonias.

So blood type and genetics could certainly play a role in severity of illness as the study says this particular coronavirus could stem from an ancient virus. Looks like legit scientific study, whatever that means.

Great website...model that shows peaks for each region and state and hospital capacity

http://www.healthdata.org/covid

Before you call everybody back to work...this model was made with all current social distancing measures in place through May. Looks like we might get a football season.
I think we're headed in the right direction but lets not take a victory lap just yet. This thing is going to keep hanging around waiting for fall IMO. We NEED a vaccine ASAP. F' the protocol. Find one that seems to generate the right antibodies and get it shipped.

Holy shiite, Covid-19 could be a blood disease
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pstorage-chemrxiv-899408398289/22129965/covid19202000328EN1.pdf
Effects the ability of red blood cells to carry oxygen. Causes oxygen/carbon dioxide cycling issues in lungs, massive inflammation, and glass lung effects that are so persistent with severe/critical cases. Not typical ARDS, and high pressure ventilation can exacerbate the symptoms. This explains why ventilation with Covid-19 has such a high mortality rate compared to influenza or other viral pneumonias.
Well I don't know about your last statement. When you go on a vent with COVID-19 you're already in a state of overwhelming viremia. The effect of the multi-organ inflammation probably has more to do with the mortality rate of vent patients with COVID-19 than the effect of the ventilator.

Better be. A friend of mine that owned a steakhouse took out his salad bar. He got sick of having to throw out food after seeing women stick the finger in something to taste it before they took it. He went through gallons of salad dressing because of that.
Vegas will take a huge hit

Well I don't know about your last statement. When you go on a vent with COVID-19 you're already in a state of overwhelming viremia. The effect of the multi-organ inflammation probably has more to do with the mortality rate of vent patients with COVID-19 than the effect of the ventilator.
said it in the study. I don't know enough, and apparently doctors don't either.

Vegas will take a huge hit
All they have to do is have a server standing there serving it instead of allowing people to take their own. It would probably save them money in wasted food. IF everybody had to do it, it would be a wash for them. Personally I normally avoided the buffets out there if I could. I might hit the breakfast one and get an omelet prepared fresh in front of me but that was about it....oh yeah and a plate full of bacon. The thing to remember though that the cooked food is normally hot enough to kill most bugs. It's the serving utensils that will get you. That's why I NEVER get finger food from a buffet. IF I have to get something from a buffet I make sure it's hot AND that I can eat it without touching it with my fingers contaminated by the serving utensils. I to sterile technique drilled in to my brain 40 years ago.

Bad news for those who think we are reaching herd immunity

Data below is from Imperial College study...March 28th....
Prediction from a fairly complex model

Country % of total population infected
Austria 1.1% [0.36%-3.1%]
Belgium 3.7% [1.3%-9.7%]
Denmark 1.1% [0.40%-3.1%]
France 3.0% [1.1%-7.4%]
Germany 0.72% [0.28%-1.8%]
Italy 9.8% [3.2%-26%]
Norway 0.41% [0.09%-1.2%]
Spain 15% [3.7%-41%]
Sweden 3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]
Switzerland 3.2% [1.3%-7.6%]
United Kingdom 2.7% [1.2%-5.4%]

Keep in mind...non-pharmaceutical measures made ALL of the difference here. The predict R0 value of 3.5-4 has been dropped to near 1 in many european countries which explains the drop in cases. The drop has nothing to do with herd immunity in most cases...maybe spain and italy. America is likely near the 3 % of population infected...which is still 10 million people! We have a long way to go.

What is herd immunity...some say 80%...Diamond Princess only had 20% infection rate...so...
Spain and Italy are the only countries even close to herd immunity...hopefully it is 20%....Influenza is 30% or so.

All they have to do is have a server standing there serving it instead of allowing people to take their own. It would probably save them money in wasted food. IF everybody had to do it, it would be a wash for them. Personally I normally avoided the buffets out there if I could. I might hit the breakfast one and get an omelet prepared fresh in front of me but that was about it....oh yeah and a plate full of bacon. The thing to remember though that the cooked food is normally hot enough to kill most bugs. It's the serving utensils that will get you. That's why I NEVER get finger food from a buffet. IF I have to get something from a buffet I make sure it's hot AND that I can eat it without touching it with my fingers contaminated by the serving utensils. I to sterile technique drilled in to my brain 40 years ago.
Yeah that is literally what I do.. Omelet or 3 and a mountain of bacon

Bad news for those who think we are reaching herd immunity

Data below is from Imperial College study...March 28th....
Prediction from a fairly complex model

Country % of total population infected
Austria 1.1% [0.36%-3.1%]
Belgium 3.7% [1.3%-9.7%]
Denmark 1.1% [0.40%-3.1%]
France 3.0% [1.1%-7.4%]
Germany 0.72% [0.28%-1.8%]
Italy 9.8% [3.2%-26%]
Norway 0.41% [0.09%-1.2%]
Spain 15% [3.7%-41%]
Sweden 3.1% [0.85%-8.4%]
Switzerland 3.2% [1.3%-7.6%]
United Kingdom 2.7% [1.2%-5.4%]

What is herd immunity...some say 80%...Diamond Princess only had 20% infection rate...so...
Spain and Italy are the only countries even close to herd immunity...hopefully it is 20%....Influenza is 30% or so.
I think when this thing is all over that some people maybe had some natural immunity to this thing maybe because they had been infected with a subclinical cousin of this virus at some time in the past. I'm wondering if they'll find that people with pets or who work with animals had a much milder course of illness or were more likely to be asymptomatic. I also have become a believer that people who receiver more direct sunlight and have a better nutritional state may have less severe disease when exposed to this virus. I'm sure those are retrospective studies that won't be done. Pigs have several CVs that they can carry. Do people who eat more pork and ingest inactivated porcine CVs have less severe disease from COVID-19? Man those would be some fun retrospective studies for a PHD candidate to do.

Yes. It correlates with reporting from the Oregon, what my Portland friends tell me Bc and what I saw first hand down here 80m to the South. Due to the earlier decisions of mayors and school districts we were already practicing what was akin to social distancing before Kate Brown’s decision. She was actually criticized here for not acting sooner.
For the record I trust reddit and you more than Twitter guy. Was hoping the stoopid wink made it clear but must not have.

Reactions: RaisingArizona
So you assume he votes the way he does because he’s been brainwashed by the media? Funny, I assumed it meant he cares about people. I assumed he cares about roads, schools, health care and infrastructure. That he cares about more than just his checkbook, but maybe your are right, he’s probably just been brainwashed by the big bad media, except the right wing ones, they are different somehow.
That is one of the most ignorant statements I've read on this board. Some conservatives don't mind paying taxes if the government uses the money wisely. When they throw millions of dollars at the Kennedy Center in a COVID-19 relief bill, well then we get pissed. I've said that on a state level my state HAS to increase the gas tax to repair roads. Well they did it but part of the sell job was that the counties would get help with their roads. Wrong. I've gone out on a 2 miles stretch of road along my farm and actually done some of the work myself to save my township money. Conservatives believe in actually doing something to help instead of just throwing money at ineffective programs.

It is fact, that unless you watch Fox news that you only ever get one side of the issues in California. Look at what a mess that state is in.

IF they need the vent they need it. At that point it's too late to worry about the mortality rate. Maybe we would have had less deaths IF WE HAD RUN OUT OF VENTILATORS.o_O
I started to worry a few days ago on a news report when one of the New York doctors let slip that everybody they had ventilated had died over the previous days. And some death rates...like obese men were at 80% mortality when ventilated. I know it is late at that point but I think 80% death rate means let looks some other options, especially when we don't have the staff to operate the vents anyway.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I started to worry a few days ago on a news report when one of the New York doctors let slip that everybody they had ventilated had died over the previous days. And some death rates...like obese men were at 80% mortality when ventilated. I know it is late at that point but I think 80% death rate means let looks some other options, especially when we don't have the staff to operate the vents anyway.
You have to drug the sh## out of someone to put them on a ventilator. I don't know if I would want to be on a ventilator even if I was sure it would save my life. I've had a couple of cases of nasty viral pneumonia in the past several years that didn't require hospitalization but man it makes you think about thing when you can hear and feel the fluid rattling in your lower airways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT