ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
the question I have is can you test to see if someone had corona, and got over it? so you could like use their social security number to give them the green light.
and if they got over it, how long will they be a problem to others as far as spreading it?
Yes, you should have antibodies in your system.
Not sure how well we can read them, or how involved it'll be, in other words, who can do the right tests in a timely manner.
Anyone who tests positive will be tested for shedding. Once they quit shedding the virus, after they've gotten well, it may depend on how long it takes to completely leave their system.

I believe I read two tests are given afterwards, several days apart.

Reactions: redwine65
the question I have is can you test to see if someone had corona, and got over it? so you could like use their social security number to give them the green light.
and if they got over it, how long will they be a problem to others as far as spreading it?

Yes. You can test for the presence of antibodies once someone has almost any kind of illness.

So, people can be green-lighted, but only once we know for certain that our immune response is effective. THere have been weird isolated stories of people being re-infected, but that may be noise right now. Most viral infections result in antibodies that make you immune for usually 1-5 years, depending.

I guess a good thing would be for a doctor to have already gotten over corona, thus not need masks and shields and all that stuff, as much anyway..
then they could go to the front lines confident

I guess a good thing would be for a doctor to have already gotten over corona, thus not need masks and shields and all that stuff, as much anyway..
then they could go to the front lines confident
Understand, testing for antibodies isn't any different than someone who has got it and shows no symptoms.
As long as you're shedding the virus, you are not safe to others, having yourself checked for total clean system ,or,your system wont be rid of it right away after you've gotten over it.

Here's my reality.

My oldest son lives in the Bay Area (hot spot #2) and is now sheltering in place. Youngest lives in hot spot #1 - Washington state - and is considered an "essential" worker. My family members in Omaha are living in assisted living ( lockdown) and a senior facility (lockdown).

This isn't the flu. Sheltering in place isn't a staycation. Congratulations to those of you who are not affected by this. Many of us aren't that fortunate.
Hope all your loved ones keep safe - It is starting to explode out here right now - the younger crowd ( I am making no judgments) is now starting to react - My Son in law is feeling ill and my daughter is pregnant, just hoping its a cold but based on his job he is very high risk. I tried to warn them a couple of weeks ago to get ready but they were not taking it seriously, probably would not have made a difference anyhow. I have neighbors who now have come in direct contact with it and at least one is in self quarantine and they are younger. So its everywhere... thinking at this stage since it is a mild illness for most younger people to take off the restrictions, in fact encourage them to go out. At the same time build a firewall around the at risk and elderly. We are all going to get it anyhow maybe quickening the pace will mean less financial harm

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
I haven't looked into it more but read some people that were infected and got better are getting reinfected in China. Has anyone heard anything about immunity after over the virus?

I haven't looked into it more but read some people that were infected and got better are getting reinfected in China. Has anyone heard anything about immunity after over the virus?
Ive read they werent properly treated, in other words, they likely werent over it and released. So, they relapsed.
Someone said china had testing, I call bull.
This hasn't happened anywhere else that I know of.

To me, it spells poor healthcare

Reactions: dinglefritz
Ive read they werent properly treated, in other words, they likely werent over it and released. So, they relapsed.
Someone said china had testing, I call bull.
This hasn't happened anywhere else that I know of.

To me, it spells poor healthcare
China is where most of the viruses are coming from. They can lie and try and tell the world the US military caused this but the reason is China itself. Some US politicians have sold their soul and our country to China. They take a bunch of peasants from the countryside and use them as slave labor in crowded cities. These people eat stuff you would not believe and much of it is eaten raw, that is where this virus came from and there will be more to follow. We need to get our businesses out of China. I dont for one minute believe their infection numbers money is much more important to them than the people in their own country. Any one defending China on this or calling it racist to be honest where this came from should be ashamed of themselves. It dishonors the pain their fellow citizens are going through

China is where most of the viruses are coming from. They can lie and try and tell the world the US military caused this but the reason is China itself. Some US politicians have sold their soul and our country to China. They take a bunch of peasants from the countryside and use them as slave labor in crowded cities. These people eat stuff you would not believe and much of it is eaten raw, that is where this virus came from and there will be more to follow. We need to get our businesses out of China. I dont for one minute believe their infection numbers money is much more important to them than the people in their own country. Any one defending China on this or calling it racist to be honest where this came from should be ashamed of themselves. It dishonors the pain their fellow citizens are going through
China is azzhoe

Excellent question. I know right now the big things I am seeing the government are trying to deal with are as follows:

1.) Get testing widely available ASAP.
2.) Try to stabilize the economy, which is basically shutting down for the next two weeks to two months.

I think the things I mentioned happen in a week or two when the capability starts being brought online. And I am for all of these things. Test everyone. Put up screening checkpoints. Allow businesses to re-open once better data is available. Put $1000 in everyone's checking account ASAP. This is literally what government is for. Stabilize the situation, avert the worst of the crisis, allow life to safely continue.
Agree anything is better than nothing. I admit I don't know the full details of this,but is $1000 really going to help long term? By the sounds of it people could be out of work for at min a month or 2 at worst 6 months or more. Even if it is 1,000 a month that is still not enough to pay bills and live.

Want to apologize/ give props to @dinglefritz . He was talking about the potential of this virus being very very bad a month or more ago. While me and many were not taking it seriously and dismissing this as nothing more than a common cold. I now see the error of my ways.

See the thread "Corona Virus". Lots of gems there ("fake news", "okay Boomer"). And here's some new news :
(CNN)President Donald Trump and a top US health official cautioned young people to heed the advice to socially distance and be wary of the coronavirus pandemic even though they do not fall in the highest risk groups.

Dr. Deborah Birx said during Wednesday's briefing at the White House that the coronavirus task force is concerned about reports indicating that more young people are becoming seriously ill from the coronavirus. It suggests they may have continued to be exposed to the virus because they weren't concerned about being at risk, she said.
"There are concerning reports coming out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and very seriously ill in the ICUs," Birx said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/politics/young-people-coronavirus-caution-white-house/index.html

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
See the thread "Corona Virus". Lots of gems there ("fake news", "okay Boomer"). And here's some new news :
(CNN)President Donald Trump and a top US health official cautioned young people to heed the advice to socially distance and be wary of the coronavirus pandemic even though they do not fall in the highest risk groups.

Dr. Deborah Birx said during Wednesday's briefing at the White House that the coronavirus task force is concerned about reports indicating that more young people are becoming seriously ill from the coronavirus. It suggests they may have continued to be exposed to the virus because they weren't concerned about being at risk, she said.
"There are concerning reports coming out of France and Italy about some young people getting seriously ill and very seriously ill in the ICUs," Birx said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/18/politics/young-people-coronavirus-caution-white-house/index.html
We are all different, much like allergies, each person reacts differently to the same potentially possible allergin.
Overexposed people could possibly weaken, or, in this case, actually spark your immune system to overeact, loading the lungs.
Just a guess

Agree anything is better than nothing. I admit I don't know the full details of this,but is $1000 really going to help long term? By the sounds of it people could be out of work for at min a month or 2 at worst 6 months or more. Even if it is 1,000 a month that is still not enough to pay bills and live.

I agree. It's apparently going to be $1000 on April 6th followed by another $1000 after at some point. It's not a lot, but from what I can tell, "everyone" gets it. Working, not working, it doesn't matter. What they are trying to do is keep money moving. So many service industry people and people who cannot go to work and will not get paid are literally screwed without income coming in.

Most evidence suggests that doing this only helps; it keeps things moving and may avoid a depression. We are almost certainly going to have a recession now, though.

Hopefully we can arrest the spread within the next few weeks and we only have serious disruption for about 2 months. I for one am going to take my money, sit on it, pay my bills and keep working from home, and when restrictions are lifted, go out and get druuuuuunk.

I agree. It's apparently going to be $1000 on April 6th followed by another $1000 after at some point. It's not a lot, but from what I can tell, "everyone" gets it. Working, not working, it doesn't matter. What they are trying to do is keep money moving. So many service industry people and people who cannot go to work and will not get paid are literally screwed without income coming in.

Most evidence suggests that doing this only helps; it keeps things moving and may avoid a depression. We are almost certainly going to have a recession now, though.

Hopefully we can arrest the spread within the next few weeks and we only have serious disruption for about 2 months. I for one am going to take my money, sit on it, pay my bills and keep working from home, and when restrictions are lifted, go out and get druuuuuunk.
I am in the camp that this can turn positive fairly quickly - a vaccine does not need to be in circulation before the market and money that is sitting on the sidelines comes back, they will need more certainty than we have right now however. Most people realize this is a once in a 100 year event . This is not a financial crisis it is a physical one - serious yes economy killing no and our social fabric is not going to unravel. I think we have a recession but a 1000 dollars or 2000 is not the difference -

Reactions: dinglefritz
Where we are currently at, we are still in control

Respectfully disagree. The Gov't is scrambling to stem the hemorrhaging economy the only way they know how, throw money at it. Our Healthcare system has no handle on how many people are infected because we are STILL unable to test enough people. NBA players are getting tested before some doctors. In places nurses are building DIY masks from materials at craft stores. Thus far we have been reactive not proactive, because we are not in control. I am not doom and gloom and hope we can get in control soon. I am pissed the only strategy is to stay home.

Want to apologize/ give props to @dinglefritz . He was talking about the potential of this virus being very very bad a month or more ago. While me and many were not taking it seriously and dismissing this as nothing more than a common cold. I now see the error of my ways.
Thanks but there's still time for me to be wrong and believe me I hope I am. I'm encouraged that we've slowed this down to buy us time. I'm also hopeful that this has bought us enough time IF the FDA gets off their asses to get a vaccine to high risk citizens. They're going to HAVE to waive some liability and testing requirements to get it done. I'm also very concerned about the economic consequences this may have long term.

I am thankful that the moderators have let us continue this discussion.

Last edited:
We are all different, much like allergies, each person reacts differently to the same potentially possible allergin.
Overexposed people could possibly weaken, or, in this case, actually spark your immune system to overeact, loading the lungs.
Just a guess
There does, as with some other viral and bacterial pathogens, seem to be some "dose dependency" which might be determining some of how serious your illness becomes. One would have to run controlled studies in order to determine for sure if that was true and I don't think we would find any human volunteers for that one.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Wonder how the return of the spring breakers will fare for the rest of the country

I just rented one of my houses to a young couple who wanted out of their apartment building as fast as they could. They were going to move in during May but decided to move in this weekend.

Some anti-malaria drug reportedly having fantastic results in early trial.
I'm not sure Choroquine is the one that people have hope for. There's an antiviral drug made by a subsidiary of Fujifilm (really) that was used in Ebola and it seemed to shorten the duration and lessen the severity of lung involvement in patients in China. Favipiravir I think is how you spell it. I don't think there's an equivalent drug marketed in the U.S. but I could be wrong.

Reactions: keilwitzg
I'm not sure Choroquine is the one that people have hope for. There's an antiviral drug made by a subsidiary of Fujifilm (really) that was used in Ebola and it seemed to shorten the duration and lessen the severity of lung involvement in patients in China. Favipiravir I think is how you spell it. I don't think there's an equivalent drug marketed in the U.S. but I could be wrong.

It was done in France, and not Ebola, specifically said anti-malaria. That’s all I heard.

It was done in France, and not Ebola, specifically said anti-malaria. That’s all I heard.
I think Chloroquine shows activity against CV in vitro (in the lab) but not invivo (in the body). I think somebody posted some information about that in an earlier thread. At this point, people are throwing everything but the kitchen sink at this virus to see if it works. I believe there's some logical biochemical reason to believe it might work but I thought I read somewhere that trials didn't look promising or that it didn't work against MERS.

"From her room inside the nursing home, Judy Shape has heard the coughs of other residents with the novel coronavirus illness down the hall and watched the ambulances come and go for weeks.

Shape, 81, had moved into Kirkland’s Life Care Center on Feb. 26 for short-term care following time in the hospital for blood-clot surgery. It was terrible timing: that same day, Life Care said it notified state officials of an outbreak of severe respiratory illness, which staff had noticed was spreading for weeks.

But the outbreak, which turned out to be COVID-19, may have been circulating in the facility much longer. A Life Care official said staff noticed a respiratory outbreak by Feb. 10, and interviews and a review of 911 call logs obtained by The Seattle Times show it could have appeared even sooner.

Exacerbating the problem: Confusion inside the nursing home and among state health officials over who was responsible for testing sick patients allowed the disease to continue spreading, turning Life Care into the nation’s largest source of COVID-19 fatalities." https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...YIIyKv0NgV4bqFelnU87X4it58#Echobox=1584578686

"From her room inside the nursing home, Judy Shape has heard the coughs of other residents with the novel coronavirus illness down the hall and watched the ambulances come and go for weeks.

Shape, 81, had moved into Kirkland’s Life Care Center on Feb. 26 for short-term care following time in the hospital for blood-clot surgery. It was terrible timing: that same day, Life Care said it notified state officials of an outbreak of severe respiratory illness, which staff had noticed was spreading for weeks.

But the outbreak, which turned out to be COVID-19, may have been circulating in the facility much longer. A Life Care official said staff noticed a respiratory outbreak by Feb. 10, and interviews and a review of 911 call logs obtained by The Seattle Times show it could have appeared even sooner.

Exacerbating the problem: Confusion inside the nursing home and among state health officials over who was responsible for testing sick patients allowed the disease to continue spreading, turning Life Care into the nation’s largest source of COVID-19 fatalities." https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...YIIyKv0NgV4bqFelnU87X4it58#Echobox=1584578686
Nightmare scenario. Exactly what I was afraid of when we first started discussing this on this board. Next will be widespread illness and deaths in our healthcare professionals I'm afraid and the resulting shortage of people to care for the ill.

Nightmare scenario. Exactly what I was afraid of when we first started discussing this on this board. Next will be widespread illness and deaths in our healthcare professionals I'm afraid and the resulting shortage of people to care for the ill.
Reminds me of that little town in the andromeda strain.

This was just eight days after Italys first non imported corona case.

Our society is likely whats caused the differences at this point, not in deaths, that I believe is due to lack of facilities, but just known cases.
Just read where Italy, often, the entire family, multigenerational, grandmas n gramps to grandkids often share the same domicile.
Add to that Italys avrage age in overall population where 23.3% are aged 65 or older, somewhat self explanitory.

I think we need to stay at home as much as possible, create methods of getting foods and wares, sit this one out.
Loading of this disease seems like a potential problem, and our antibody count may not remain high enough when it does come back again, making for us liable to get it all over again, not certain, but it's the same why we get colds all the time,those antibodies need to ramp up in higher numbers in effective cells.

I hope your kids sit it out well and safely.

there will be widespread discontinuation of ambulatory testing - if you have consistent symptoms but are not sick enough to be hospitalized - you will not be tested and simply assumed to have the disease and to self quarantine

those sick enough to be hospitalized and essential workers (healthcare workers, etc) will continue to be tested

there simply aren't enough tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as things progress in your area, people will begin to lose autonomy with regards to health care -- google distributive justice

many hospitals are not allowing ANY visitors - some exceptions for surgery, critical care, impending death.
if your mom is hospitalized with pneumonia or COVID and does not meet very rigid exceptions - you are not allowed to visit - if you meet an exception only ONE visitor in the hospital (not room -the entire hospital is allowed)

we have cancelled all elective surgeries and procedures - including some coronary bypass surgeries that have been pushed back 6-8 weeks

patients that were to undergo extremely high risk procedures that were expected to have long ICU/hospital stays for potential recovery have been now reclassified as prohibitive risk and will not receive these interventions

lung transplant programs are on pause - Toronto - the largest program in the world will not be doing lung transplants for at least 2 weeks

Last edited:
there will be widespread discontinuation of ambulatory testing - if you have consistent symptoms but are not sick enough to be hospitalized - you will not be tested and simply assumed to have the disease and to self quarantine

those sick enough to be hospitalized and essential workers (healthcare workers, etc) will continue to be tested

there simply aren't enough tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as things progress in your area, people will begin to lose autonomy with regards to health care -- google distributive justice

many hospitals are not allowing ANY visitors - some exceptions for surgery, critical care, impending death.
if your mom is hospitalized with pneumonia or COVID and does not meet very rigid exceptions - you are not allowed to visit - if you meet an exception only ONE visitor in the hospital (not room -the entire hospital is allowed)

we have cancelled all elective surgeries and procedures - including some coronary bypass surgeries that have been pushed back 6-8 weeks

patients that were to undergo extremely high risk procedures that were expected to have long ICU/hospital stays for potential recovery have been now reclassified as prohibitive risk and will not receive these interventions

lung transplant programs are on pause - Toronto - the largest program in the world will not be doing lung transplants for at least 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT