ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why start again.

Some who still post cannot keep politics out. It is sad for them, and this board. Why can they still post? Thought there were hard and fast rules about such.

You can get better news from many places vs here. We like to talk and argue, but why fools cannot keep simple politics out baffles me.

In first one Dingle and I argued, even insulted each other, but respect was maintained.

How is basic civility so lost amongst us?

I go into HyVee this morning for my usual 32oz refill to start my day. I am told that to help stop spread of corona virus, I can't bring in my own personal reusable cup for the time being. So, rather than bring in my own cup that only I have touched and that no one except me (not even the clerks) will touch, I have to take a cup out of the dispenser that may have been touched by others - either when loaded in the dispenser or when prior cup was taken - and a lid from the counter, that was almost certainly touched when someone took the lid next to it - just as I couldn't help touch others as I picked mine up - and is wide open to being coughed or sneezed on by just about anyone in the vicinity of the lids and straws (I didn't do that), and then hand my money that I have touched over to the clerk, who touches it and puts it in the drawer with other money, and then pulls it out of the drawer at some point and hands it to an unsuspecting customer to follow. Not to mention every item on every shelf in the convenience store and main store open to being touched, coughed on and sneezed on by hundreds of people throughout the day So, how would me bringing in my own personal cup to be touched by NO ONE BUT ME put the public at greater risk? Way to do your part, HyVee.

74dCo.gif

Some who still post cannot keep politics out.

You can get better news from many places vs here. We like to talk and argue, but why fools cannot keep simple politics out baffles me.

How is basic civility so lost amongst us?
Good question. I'm at a loss for how many Americans feel that Fox News is biased, but MSNBC is not. If you disagree with the previous statement, just flip the networks.

When our politicians can pit American vs. American instead of holding the politicians accountable, then they win and Americans lose.

It is exactly like two boys getting into big trouble. If each boy can totally blame the other and the parents always believe them, then each boy will not even be punished!

I go into HyVee this morning for my usual 32oz refill to start my day. I am told that to help stop spread of corona virus, I can't bring in my own personal reusable cup for the time being. So, rather than bring in my own cup that only I have touched and that no one except me (not even the clerks) will touch, I have to take a cup out of the dispenser that may have been touched by others - either when loaded in the dispenser or when prior cup was taken - and a lid from the counter, that was almost certainly touched when someone took the lid next to it - just as I couldn't help touch others as I picked mine up - and is wide open to being coughed or sneezed on by just about anyone in the vicinity of the lids and straws (I didn't do that), and then hand my money that I have touched over to the clerk, who touches it and puts it in the drawer with other money, and then pulls it out of the drawer at some point and hands it to an unsuspecting customer to follow. Not to mention every item on every shelf in the convenience store and main store open to being touched, coughed on and sneezed on by hundreds of people throughout the day So, how would me bringing in my own personal cup to be touched by NO ONE BUT ME put the public at greater risk? Way to do your part, HyVee.

Starbucks is no longer allowing folks to use their personnal cups.

On a side note, about to go into my school today where we are going to be told that we are shutting down.

Still hoping to be able to fly back to NE next week.

I caught one of the impeachment proceedings and actually watched it. Then I watched the discussion afterwards on CNN and Fox News, and it was startling.

If you only caught the talking heads afterwards, you would have thought they were not reporting on the same event. They both chose different clips and talked about different aspects that fit their narrative, and ignored the parts that didn’t. I felt after watching both, that I had a good overall recap of what happened but only because I watched both. If I had listened to only one, I would have only received a slanted story and missed some very good points on the other side.

It’s always easier to listen to those that tend to say things agreeable to you. But to be truly aware, you have to force yourself to listen to the other side occasionally. Actually listen and evaluate partial credit to the worth of their statements.

Austin just closed all schools, the university, all state and city offices, and have asked major employers to encourage their staff to telework.

The net result is that EVERYBODY is in a mob raiding the stores, and all of the kids are riding bikes out on the street. I'm not sure the "social distancing" thing is working quite yet.

On a positive note, I'm teleworking for the foreseeable future.

Good question. I'm at a loss for how many Americans feel that Fox News is biased, but MSNBC is not. If you disagree with the previous statement, just flip the networks.

When our politicians can pit American vs. American instead of holding the politicians accountable, then they win and Americans lose.

It is exactly like two boys getting into big trouble. If each boy can totally blame the other and the parents always believe them, then each boy will not even be punished!

I agree that there is bias on both sides. I also believe that viewers of either channel have to understand that both of those channels have quite a feed morning and daytime news shows and then in the evening their higher rating editorial news programming. The latter is of course opinions based off of the news. That is just fine IMI but some people act like it’s Walter Cronkite reporting the news, when it’s actually Hannity, Maddow, etc. opinions based off of the news cycle. I think if people stayed mindful of that they would be less bothered by the bias. Now when bias inserts itself into standard news that is of course a problem. But more times than not it’s the editorial element that generates claims of bias. I find that odd because that is the design of many of those prime time shows in the first place.

I think almost everyone in America knows that BOTH of those networks are completely biased. Watching either is not news, it is simply a way to confirm what you already believe and hear what you want to hear from people that already feel the same way you do. Might as well just admit it and not pretend either is something it's not.

I don't know if we will ever get to this point - hopefully not - but what do you feel the response would be by yourself or society's if:

you are told that your seriously ill loved one does not meet criteria for ICU transfer/care due to age and/or other co-morbidities that unfortunately make survival or expected remaining survival years should they survive too low

I think almost everyone in America knows that BOTH of those networks are completely biased. Watching either is not news, it is simply a way to confirm what you already believe and hear what you want to hear from people that already feel the same way you do. Might as well just admit it and not pretend either is something it's not.
I like to READ multiple news outlets as much as possible. The writers have way more time to develop the story and give more evidence. I've found Reuters to be an interesting source because they often have writers writing about the same events with maybe a little different perspective. Normally I find them fairly balanced with their coverage of U.S. news. If I'm watching TV, I try to watch CNN and Fox to get both sides of things. I can't watch MSNBC for very long or Hannity for that matter either. They're mostly just fools.

Reactions: headcard
I don't know if we will ever get to this point - hopefully not - but what do you feel the response would be by yourself or society's if:

you are told that your seriously ill loved one does not meet criteria for ICU transfer/care due to age and/or other co-morbidities that unfortunately make survival or expected remaining survival years should they survive too low
We're already there. Italy has been denying care to the very old elderly and in some cases just severely ill young people for over a week now. Hospice care is the fastest type of nursing home care in the U.S. They tell you you've got no chance to survive so we'll put you in a wing where you get palliative nursing care and just wait to die. Unfortunately even without COVID-19 or Influenza there's a waiting list already in my community. I will be very surprised if we don't have people dying in self quarantine situations by the time this outbreak subsides. We'll see. The measures we've taken so far have slowed this thing down IMO.

We're already there. Italy has been denying care to the very old elderly and in some cases just severely ill young people for over a week now. Hospice care is the fastest type of nursing home care in the U.S. They tell you you've got no chance to survive so we'll put you in a wing where you get palliative nursing care and just wait to die. Unfortunately even without COVID-19 or Influenza there's a waiting list already in my community. I will be very surprised if we don't have people dying in self quarantine situations by the time this outbreak subsides. We'll see. The measures we've taken so far have slowed this thing down IMO.

I read about this in Italy. Heart goes out to the Dr.’s (well everyone involved as well of course.). Those are the types of decisions you’d hope nobody ever had to make.

I think we are starting to have some of these discussions - but we aren't anywhere near where Italy.
No ICU triage for age over 70.

There are increasing conversations regarding likelihood of survival in advanced disease states but the current situation is that if patient and family declares "I want everything done - mechanical vent, dialysis, ICU treatment" they are rarely if ever told no. Every attempt is made to get consensus agreement between medical experts and patient/family. Many opt for more aggressive care than recommended by the meidical teams - "I just want to see my granddaughter get married in 6 months - do everything" very difficult

I agree that there is bias on both sides. I also believe that viewers of either channel have to understand that both of those channels have quite a feed morning and daytime news shows and then in the evening their higher rating editorial news programming. The latter is of course opinions based off of the news. That is just fine IMI but some people act like it’s Walter Cronkite reporting the news, when it’s actually Hannity, Maddow, etc. opinions based off of the news cycle. I think if people stayed mindful of that they would be less bothered by the bias. Now when bias inserts itself into standard news that is of course a problem. But more times than not it’s the editorial element that generates claims of bias. I find that odd because that is the design of many of those prime time shows in the first place.
It's ironic that you bring up Walter Cronkite. He's the one that started the slide to biased "reporting" of the news. "That's the way it was". His demonstration of how he could influence public opinion with the way he slanted his reports began the slide in to "commentary" instead of reporting. He was very understated and careful with his words but there was no doubt where his views laid. IMO, Brokaw was the last great TV anchor who just gave the facts as fairly as he could at least until after he retired from the NBC evening news. There was no doubt that he was pretty liberal but I had a hard time finding that slant when he gave the evening news.

I read about this in Italy. Heart goes out to the Dr.’s (well everyone involved as well of course.). Those are the types of decisions you’d hope nobody ever had to make.

A world leader in pulmonary/critical care medicine from Italy died yesterday from C-19 contracted taking care of patients

This has been happening since long before this virus hit

Reactions: OzzyLvr
This has been happening since long before this virus hit

No - people are not being denied ICU care that they deem necessary - it is a failure of the medical community to convince them not to seek ICU care.

"Please put me or my family member on or continue life support while multiple family members travel from days away to say their goodbyes"

People should tour medical ICUs if they don't think elderly patients -nursing home patients - patients with multiple comordities with reduced life expectancy aren't being cared for in ICUs

where the US is currently is no where near where things are in advanced European countries (UK) with regards to ICU care (pre C-19)

I agree with everything posted in this thread! Well, except for criticizing the precautions of stores saying you can't bring in your own cups anymore; that's just a good practice for now. Yes, your thoughts are valid (about how anything in public is touched by someone at some point), but look at it from their perspective: they can try to control that. They can't control you or anyone else bringing in their own thing and what state that thing is in, so they just flat out don't want you to.

As for the news, I usually post things from NPR or CNN. Fox News is a menace, rabid-right propaganda network, and MSNBC is basically making money trying to be the liberal version of what Fox News does. Both of them, though (well, Fox News arguably skews even their reporting, but whatever) do a pretty ok job of just reporting news during the day. It's just when they have any talking heads on, or when their opinion shows are on, that you should tune out.

And yes, all of you are right in pointing out that this media environment is like this to keep people foaming angry and keep money churning. That's a problem, not just because it keeps us all screaming at each other about politics way, way too much, but it also yields poor outcomes for our democracy, like electing Donald Trump. Most of you have seen me get in pretty big fights about how much I hate Trump and what is going on right now, but truth be told, I would only be mildly snarky in comparison if John McCain or Mitt Romney were in office. Why? They are/were at least decent humans and fairly competent politicians. They may be conservative, but that's ok from time to time. What isn't ok is outrage politics, harmful lies, and complete incompetence, which is why I get so pissed off.

As for the coronavirus...I am working from home for the next two weeks. This is unprecedented and really sucks. I hope you all listened to Fresh Air yesterday, because they outline WHY we're in this position, and it has to do with incompetence.

I think we are starting to have some of these discussions - but we aren't anywhere near where Italy.
No ICU triage for age over 70.

There are increasing conversations regarding likelihood of survival in advanced disease states but the current situation is that if patient and family declares "I want everything done - mechanical vent, dialysis, ICU treatment" they are rarely if ever told no. Every attempt is made to get consensus agreement between medical experts and patient/family. Many opt for more aggressive care than recommended by the meidical teams - "I just want to see my granddaughter get married in 6 months - do everything" very difficult
Families are already told "medicare won't cover that" so decisions are being made by what the government sets forth. Dr.s at times are left coming up with creative diagnoses to keep somebody in the hospital who desperately needs the care but their insurance or Medicare will only give so many days for their primary problem. You've got to click the right buttons on the computerized records to justify the stay. It's ludicrous. I was fortunate enough a few years ago to have a family member be able to tell an oral surgeon which box to click on the insurance forms in order to get a tooth extraction paid for. Saved us about $500. Had we not known that, it would have been out of pocket.

They don’t know where your cup has been, or who else has used it.

Starbucks is no longer allowing folks to use their personnal cups.

On a side note, about to go into my school today where we are going to be told that we are shutting down.

Still hoping to be able to fly back to NE next week.
Starbucks is doing that for the protection of their employees primarily. IF you're in line at a Starbucks, you're already assuming a lot of risk. Hell just going to the grocery store assumes some risk handling the food packages. Eating at a restaurant? Might as well lick door handles.o_O Yeah, we just went out for dinner last night. Gotta die of something I guess and the mrs is getting on an airplane for the east coast today so.......I'm not likin my chances to be posting on here 3 weeks from now.

No - people are not being denied ICU care that they deem necessary - it is a failure of the medical community to convince them not to seek ICU care.

"Please put me or my family member on or continue life support while multiple family members travel from days away to say their goodbyes"

People should tour medical ICUs if they don't think elderly patients -nursing home patients - patients with multiple comordities with reduced life expectancy aren't being cared for in ICUs

where the US is currently is no where near where things are in advanced European countries (UK) with regards to ICU care (pre C-19)

I meant in regards to people not getting treatment if those in charge deem them unworthy

This. I absolutely refuse to watch any cable news (FOX, MSNBC, etc) anymore, and haven't for several years.

I try to avoid all of it, too. I stick with NPR, PBS, the BBC, NYTimes, WaPo, and CNN as long as it isn't their talking head shows, which admittedly are mostly about hating on Trump. The New Yorker and The Atlantic are good long-form journalism sources, too.

Reactions: headcard
Families are already told "medicare won't cover that" so decisions are being made by what the government sets forth. Dr.s at times are left coming up with creative diagnoses to keep somebody in the hospital who desperately needs the care but their insurance or Medicare will only give so many days for their primary problem. You've got to click the right buttons on the computerized records to justify the stay. It's ludicrous. I was fortunate enough a few years ago to have a family member be able to tell an oral surgeon which box to click on the insurance forms in order to get a tooth extraction paid for. Saved us about $500. Had we not known that, it would have been out of pocket.

I appreciate your perspective - and without divulging too much of what I do - I will say that if a patient presents to our hospital emergency department (the largest tertiary care center in the state) without very specific goals of care defined - in an emergent situation they are resuscitated and sent to the ICU without regard for ability to pay - I see thousands of patient per year and I can honestly say I have no idea what or if they have insurance except in a situation where I am told they can't be discharged to this or that rehab center because of insurance

This. I absolutely refuse to watch any cable news (FOX, MSNBC, etc) anymore, and haven't for several years.
IF you're at all interested in current events you just about have to watch the TV news. That said, even your home page on the net filters and introduces TONS of bias. I use Yahoo and every other story is some extremely progressive news story from Huffington Post, the Atlantic, etc etc. You have to wade through a lot of dishonest crap to find real news on the internet. BUT, you also have to be aware of what even the biased sources are saying because every now and then you get some nuggets of truth from them. It's just tough to know sometimes what's truth and what's crap. Again, so far I've found Reuters to have some really good stories from around the world and the U.S. with some good actual reporting about the middle east that you don't get elsewhere.

I agree with everything posted in this thread! Well, except for criticizing the precautions of stores saying you can't bring in your own cups anymore; that's just a good practice for now. Yes, your thoughts are valid (about how anything in public is touched by someone at some point), but look at it from their perspective: they can try to control that. They can't control you or anyone else bringing in their own thing and what state that thing is in, so they just flat out don't want you to.

As for the news, I usually post things from NPR or CNN. Fox News is a menace, rabid-right propaganda network, and MSNBC is basically making money trying to be the liberal version of what Fox News does. Both of them, though (well, Fox News arguably skews even their reporting, but whatever) do a pretty ok job of just reporting news during the day. It's just when they have any talking heads on, or when their opinion shows are on, that you should tune out.

And yes, all of you are right in pointing out that this media environment is like this to keep people foaming angry and keep money churning. That's a problem, not just because it keeps us all screaming at each other about politics way, way too much, but it also yields poor outcomes for our democracy, like electing Donald Trump. Most of you have seen me get in pretty big fights about how much I hate Trump and what is going on right now, but truth be told, I would only be mildly snarky in comparison if John McCain or Mitt Romney were in office. Why? They are/were at least decent humans and fairly competent politicians. They may be conservative, but that's ok from time to time. What isn't ok is outrage politics, harmful lies, and complete incompetence, which is why I get so pissed off.

As for the coronavirus...I am working from home for the next two weeks. This is unprecedented and really sucks. I hope you all listened to Fresh Air yesterday, because they outline WHY we're in this position, and it has to do with incompetence.

I’m thankful that you are here to let us know what “outrage politics, harmful lies, and complete incompetence” look like. Since you’re working from home, does that mean we will be blessed with a steady dose of “Dudz on politics” for the next few weeks?

I appreciate your perspective - and without divulging too much of what I do - I will say that if a patient presents to our hospital emergency department (the largest tertiary care center in the state) without very specific goals of care defined - in an emergent situation they are resuscitated and sent to the ICU without regard for ability to pay - I see thousands of patient per year and I can honestly say I have no idea what or if they have insurance except in a situation where I am told they can't be discharged to this or that rehab center because of insurance
Thanks for what you do. In those situations, one almost HAS to do that or risk not doing the right thing for an individual patient OR risk a very expensive lawsuit for failing to render care.

Reactions: jlb321
Let me rephrase the question

your mom or dad is sick and admitted to the hospital in the midst of a pandemic - ICU beds are very limited as a result

at baseline they are 75 have some mild lung disease from prior smoking but stopped many years ago. Does not need oxygen. Has a mild kidney disease - does not need dialysis. Has had stents placed for coronary artery disease and heart function is mildly impaired. Some mild dementia. May need assisted living in the next year or 2.

They live at home and are able to go grocery shopping but have slowed down some.

Their status worsens gradually to the point that they otherwise would need to be transferred to the ICU for respiratory support - their kidney function has deteriorated in the hospital and they might need dialysis that may or may not be permanent - it typically takes several weeks/months to determine if acute kidney injury will recover.

You are told - "i'm sorry, they do not meet our criteria for ICU transfer - we will continue to provide compassionate care but we are unable to escalate support beyond what is currently being provided - if the clinical situation declines we will ensure your mom is kept comfortable throughout this process"

Last edited:
Thanks for what you do. In those situations, one almost HAS to do that or risk not doing the right thing for an individual patient OR risk a very expensive lawsuit for failing to render care.

this is the situation in the US -- this is not the situation in Italy or other countries that are hard hit by this pandemic - there are strict criteria regardless of what the patient or family desires

Reactions: dinglefritz
this is the situation in the US -- this is not the situation in Italy or other countries that are hard hit by this pandemic - there are strict criteria regardless of what the patient or family desires
That's socialized medicine for the kids out there. It is also true that they completely deny care for citizens of other countries without private health insurance. Bernie wouldn't have gotten his stent in Italy. .

I’m thankful that you are here to let us know what “outrage politics, harmful lies, and complete incompetence” look like. Since you’re working from home, does that mean we will be blessed with a steady dose of “Dudz on politics” for the next few weeks?

Probably.

That's socialized medicine for the kids out there. It is also true that they completely deny care for citizens of other countries without private health insurance. Bernie wouldn't have gotten his stent in Italy. .

Who does? That's not what literally every college student coming back from Europe is saying. One that was interviewed yesterday going back from France to Mississippi was like "I'm kind of anxious to leave; we get free health care here, and we don't back home."

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT