ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe exactly what you wrote. This has been around for several months longer than most know. I have relayed symptoms to two different friends of mine, one who lives several states away in Texas and we all had the exact same symptoms. Those symptoms mirror this current pandemic. I had it back in late December and couldn't shake it for a month. As far as the cough, it was pretty brutal for about a week and then the next three weeks was just a persistent lack of energy and lung capacity. I chalked it up to garden variety "crud" which I have had before. This has been around for a while and far more have had it than the numbers suggest. I hope that suggests it will be gone quicker than they are forecasting.
Your symptoms are similar because viruses cause similar immune responses, Rhinoviruses cause the same initial symptoms as coronavirus depending on point of initial infection, viral load, immune system response. This particular coronavirus connects and uses deep lung cells in many cases and kills at an extraordinary rate. Could Covid-19 be mutated from something that we got last fall?...sure...but it is HIGHLY unlikely that this would pass from you through the human population and back to a bat, then back to the human population. Human genetics is a real science and they can track this to an intermediate animal and then back to bats as the main reservoir. It has since mutated to allow for easy human to human transmission. So don't walk around as if you have had it...you haven't...although I had the same pneumonia last fall that was unusual it wasn't Covid-19..

If you never get symptoms, do you test anyways? Will everybody test? Those who test positive, will they obey quarantine?
They're handing out fines in europe for breaking quarantines,alot are breaking theirs.

Should we be like china? Totalitarian? Or, should we do our gest, do the right thing and hope for an early vaccine, flu season to hopefully have its impact etc?
Our liberalism slides on a scale relative to other societies based on context. Take World War II...many look back at FDR as being a dictator and having too many powers but considering the context and relative to Italy, Germany, Japan, Russia, Spain..etc...he was still very much a "social democrat". American soldiers were shot for cowardice in World War II, and people were put in internment camps...but relative to Russia, Germany, Japan we still stood out as sane and relatively gentle with our troops, populace, and enemies. So I could see governments have some emergency powers, I could see fines...but people aren't going to be stuck in a gymnasium for days just because they were found on the streets.

Your symptoms are similar because viruses cause similar immune responses, Rhinoviruses cause the same initial symptoms as coronavirus depending on point of initial infection, viral load, immune system response. This particular coronavirus connects and uses deep lung cells in many cases and kills at an extraordinary rate. Could Covid-19 be mutated from something that we got last fall?...sure...but it is HIGHLY unlikely that this would pass from you through the human population and back to a bat, then back to the human population. Human genetics is a real science and they can track this to an intermediate animal and then back to bats as the main reservoir. It has since mutated to allow for easy human to human transmission. So don't walk around as if you have had it...you haven't...although I had the same pneumonia last fall that was unusual it wasn't Covid-19..
do you really believe it took 5+ months to get from China to the US?

Are these guidelines calling for no more than 10 or 50 legal and enforceable or are they just suggestions? Would this fall under our right to assemble?

Your basic rights are voided in a societal conflict. The united states government owns you, they could institute a draft today, put you into service policing the community and making sure people follow quarantine..and if you refused a bunch of red-blooded americans who followed the draft law would come and put you into a prison camp until you decided against rebellion. Our democracy and "constitution" is only as strong as our enemies or our challenges. We have no powers to control the president, although our military has a level of independence, they aren't going to support people who put constitutional rights above public health.

Reactions: WHCSC
Ok Rambo. Some of us are based in reality.

Which ones? Are you really a husking polish Hussar from the 15th and 16th centuries? I am fo sho a man who hustles that corn! Also I would like to point out I cannot purchase toilet paper, this is why panic and overacting is so dangerous. Is it worse than the common flu? Sure but it may kill far less with all the isolating we are doing, the question is how long can we last on our staycations?

Ok Rambo. Some of us are based in reality.
I'm confused how my question is not based in reality. please explain.

reality, I'd think, would suggest there's no possible way a virus took 5+ months to travel from china to the US, especially when those months encompass the 2 biggest travel holidays on the calendar.

why this triggered you, I've got no clue.

For all we know this could have been floating around for a year or more, evolving, and adapting, until boom. I swear I had it a year or so ago. Ran 103 fever for a day or so. Then the cough kicked in. I couldn't sleep because of the relentless cough. What was weird is no meds would help or touch it. I have had bad coughs before but could always get relief from cough meds. This nothing worked. There were points at night where I couldn't lay down because I felt like my throat was closing and I couldn't breath. After a week I went to the doc and he said it is viral and he has been seeing a lot of it. He said it lasts about a month. It did. I have never in my life felt that helpless and sick.
I really don't think a year is possible. Certainly it was rolling in December and that what the evidence suggests. November is very possible as well. It also is logical to suggest that we had cases traversing the ocean and landing on our soil in December.

Let me give you this "hypothetical" that "may" have happened. A person became very ill in early January and actually tested positive for a Corona virus infection but it was before they were differentiating COVID-19. He had cardiac complications and eventually developed a secondary bacterial pneumonia. He had no KNOWN contact with people who had traveled to China but his daughter-in-law who he had visited travels extensively and speaks at meetings for work. She would have likely had contact with people who had traveled to China in December. Later one of her youngest kids tested positive for Influenza A. He also tested positive for Influenza A in February after recovering from his first illness. Was the generically identified Corona virus he tested positive for in January actually COVID-19? Based on how severely ill he was with high fevers and a persistent cough that lasted for over a week I suspect it was. The only way we would know for sure the prevalence of COVID-19 isn't necessarily by testing for the virus but by doing serological studies to test healthy subjects for antibodies to the virus.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Our liberalism slides on a scale relative to other societies based on context. Take World War II...many look back at FDR as being a dictator and having too many powers but considering the context and relative to Italy, Germany, Japan, Russia, Spain..etc...he was still very much a "social democrat". American soldiers were shot for cowardice in World War II, and people were put in internment camps...but relative to Russia, Germany, Japan we still stood out as sane and relatively gentle with our troops, populace, and enemies. So I could see governments have some emergency powers, I could see fines...but people aren't going to be stuck in a gymnasium for days just because they were found on the streets.
Actually, it was russian law that shot those fellow russians, not law here, not saying it didnt happen in the field, but wasnt law.
My point is, people arent going to obey laws just because they exist, so, that with no symptoms, theres going to be spread regardless of testing.
And swamping the testing curve is the same as swamping the hospitals, so easing into it, getting responsible people who have symptoms go first.
Hypochondria will rear its ugly head, and even that amount could make us reach a tipping point in regards to testing.
So, unless you have complete controlled totalitarian authority, all these other things are going to happen against limited resources.

I really don't think a year is possible. Certainly it was rolling in December and that what the evidence suggests. November is very possible as well. It also is logical to suggest that we had cases traversing the ocean and landing on our soil in December.

Let me give you this "hypothetical" that "may" have happened. A person became very ill in early January and actually tested positive for a Corona virus infection but it was before they were differentiating COVID-19. He had cardiac complications and eventually developed a secondary bacterial pneumonia. He had no KNOWN contact with people who had traveled to China but his daughter-in-law who he had visited travels extensively and speaks at meetings for work. She would have likely had contact with people who had traveled to China in December. Later one of the youngest tested positive for Influenza A. He also tested positive for Influenza A in February after recovering from his first illness. Was the generically identified Corona virus he tested positive for in January actually COVID-19? Based on how severely ill he was with high fevers and a persistent cough that lasted for over a week I suspect it was. The only way we would know for sure the prevalence of COVID-19 isn't necessarily by testing for the virus but by doing serological studies to test healthy subjects for antibodies to the virus.
Fiancé (nurse) and I both had separate doctors tell us last week it’s likely we had the virus in early Jan. They didn’t know because nobody was looking for it. Both traveled through large international airport for holidays.

Lasted ~2 weeks and did suck quite a bit, especially the cough.

reality, I'd think, would suggest there's no possible way a virus took 5+ months to travel from china to the US, especially when those months encompass the 2 biggest travel holidays on the calendar.

It could be possible that many here have already had it and either survived with minor symptoms or died (assumed to be from the flu). It was a pretty bad "flu" season.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria

Let me give you this "hypothetical" that "may" have happened. A person became very ill in early January and actually tested positive for a Corona virus infection but it was before they were differentiating COVID-19. He had cardiac complications and eventually developed a secondary bacterial pneumonia. He had no KNOWN contact with people who had traveled to China but his daughter-in-law who he had visited travels extensively and speaks at meetings for work. She would have likely had contact with people who had traveled to China in December. Later one of the youngest tested positive for Influenza A. He also tested positive for Influenza A in February after recovering from his first illness. Was the generically identified Corona virus he tested positive for in January actually COVID-19? Based on how severely ill he was with high fevers and a persistent cough that lasted for over a week I suspect it was. The only way we would know for sure the prevalence of COVID-19 isn't necessarily by testing for the virus but by doing serological studies to test healthy subjects for antibodies to the virus.
Yep, and because he may have been misdiagnosed from the beginning, he likely never fully recovered from this new virus for lack of anibodies, where most patients are on the decline in symptoms with older virii, this one is still fighting hard.
Very possible scenario.
I'd read where several who were released early had relapses as this actual scenario played out.

Here's my reality.

My oldest son lives in the Bay Area (hot spot #2) and is now sheltering in place. Youngest lives in hot spot #1 - Washington state - and is considered an "essential" worker. My family members in Omaha are living in assisted living ( lockdown) and a senior facility (lockdown).

This isn't the flu. Sheltering in place isn't a staycation. Congratulations to those of you who are not affected by this. Many of us aren't that fortunate.

Let me give you this "hypothetical" that "may" have happened. A person became very ill in early January and actually tested positive for a Corona virus infection but it was before they were differentiating COVID-19. He had cardiac complications and eventually developed a secondary bacterial pneumonia. He had no KNOWN contact with people who had traveled to China but his daughter-in-law who he had visited travels extensively and speaks at meetings for work. She would have likely had contact with people who had traveled to China in December. Later one of her youngest kids tested positive for Influenza A. He also tested positive for Influenza A in February after recovering from his first illness. Was the generically identified Corona virus he tested positive for in January actually COVID-19? Based on how severely ill he was with high fevers and a persistent cough that lasted for over a week I suspect it was. The only way we would know for sure the prevalence of COVID-19 isn't necessarily by testing for the virus but by doing serological studies to test healthy subjects for antibodies to the virus.
My wife's cousin's husband had a heart attack a 1.5 months ago and died. He had pneumonia as well.

Here's my reality.

My oldest son lives in the Bay Area (hot spot #2) and is now sheltering in place. Youngest lives in hot spot #1 - Washington state - and is considered an "essential" worker. My family members in Omaha are living in assisted living ( lockdown) and a senior facility (lockdown).

This isn't the flu. Sheltering in place isn't a staycation. Congratulations to those of you who are not affected by this. Many of us aren't that fortunate.
Appreciate your situation, and like the virus, it will unfortunatly likely spread to many of us with regards to sheltering and lockdowns.
There's many of us praying for all of us, and they reach all shores.

Here's my reality.

My daughter got home from college on the east coast on Sunday. Now she's coughing after 3 airports and 2 plane rides. IF I get this thing, I will get very ill at the very least.

My daughter got home from college on the east coast on Sunday. Now she's coughing after 3 airports and 2 plane rides. IF I get this thing, I will get very ill at the very least.

Somehow "liking" your comment doesn't seem appropriate. Winking

I know that many of us are in similar, or even worse situations. I wanted to inject a bit of reality for those who are clearly clueless about what is going on.

Which ones? Are you really a husking polish Hussar from the 15th and 16th centuries? I am fo sho a man who hustles that corn! Also I would like to point out I cannot purchase toilet paper, this is why panic and overacting is so dangerous. Is it worse than the common flu? Sure but it may kill far less with all the isolating we are doing, the question is how long can we last on our staycations?
Are you really playing a race card?! You want to play big dick? You see my handle and you have a problem?!? Wow.

Get. A. Grip.

My apologies.

Here's my reality.

For some of us it will continue to be a hassle. I have a mask at the ready. I am a first responder and I am hoping this thing clears out come hot temps.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
So, all these restaurants that have to close/reduce business. Do their landlords cut rent for a bit as part of some economic stimulus.

So, all these restaurants that have to close/reduce business. Do their landlords cut rent for a bit as part of some economic stimulus.
trump would do better to have landlord suspend charging rent for a few months then the government giving them a tax break to cover..if folks can't pay.
then give people money to blow.

I think this will come down to the government telling everyone to stay home, then requiring a negative test pass to be on the street. or taken to a government quarantine

trump would do better to have landlord suspend charging rent for a few months then the government giving them a tax break to cover..if folks can't pay.
then give people money to blow.

I think this will come down to the government telling everyone to stay home, then requiring a negative test pass to be on the street. or taken to a government quarantine
Relax. This isn't china. We may stay home, and there'll likely be a pecking order of who has the ok for certain things, but the focus is stopping this from happening to begin with.

Relax. This isn't china. We may stay home, and there'll likely be a pecking order of who has the ok for certain things, but the focus is stopping this from happening to begin with.
we blew that already with everyone fighting trump over protecting the borders

Lol "protecting the borders."

The goodwill and obedience we are all experiencing right now is going to break down pretty quickly in the next couple of weeks as cases rise and people can't go anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if we start adopting some tactics like testing followed by temperature checks and other screening methods. And honestly, I think all of that is a good idea.

Reactions: redwine65
This is a non political thread.
Where we are currently at, we are still in control. Our government isn't in denial, nor is it asking to go around hugging people like other governments.
We are different here, many different povs, some crazy, some dull and everything in between. The strength of having the freedom to express ourselves in all ways have given us examples for those who need restraint as well as those needing to open their eyes.
We just need to see this through, do whats best, and help each other out.

Lol "protecting the borders."

The goodwill and obedience we are all experiencing right now is going to break down pretty quickly in the next couple of weeks as cases rise and people can't go anywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if we start adopting some tactics like testing followed by temperature checks and other screening methods. And honestly, I think all of that is a good idea.
Isn't this about the time this will happen, we will be set up to do just that? Our government is prepping, health care is prepping, as our lives go through this rough period.

Isn't this about the time this will happen, we will be set up to do just that? Our government is prepping, health care is prepping, as our lives go through this rough period.

Excellent question. I know right now the big things I am seeing the government are trying to deal with are as follows:

1.) Get testing widely available ASAP.
2.) Try to stabilize the economy, which is basically shutting down for the next two weeks to two months.

I think the things I mentioned happen in a week or two when the capability starts being brought online. And I am for all of these things. Test everyone. Put up screening checkpoints. Allow businesses to re-open once better data is available. Put $1000 in everyone's checking account ASAP. This is literally what government is for. Stabilize the situation, avert the worst of the crisis, allow life to safely continue.

the question I have is can you test to see if someone had corona, and got over it? so you could like use their social security number to give them the green light.
and if they got over it, how long will they be a problem to others as far as spreading it?

You seem well balanced.
Not this morning. That being said, I’ll delete and apologize. The point I was trying to make, albeit poorly, is that it seems likely that if he did have this back then, and if it’s as contagious and deadly as people seem to think, someone in his circle, whether old, sick, or both would likely have gotten very ill.

Sorry for being a dick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT