ADVERTISEMENT

Covid-19 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any ideas as to why Germany's death rate is so low?

they have high volume and low threshold testing - available
they are identifying very low risk or minimally symptomatic people - therefore the death rate will be low

in our area we have discontinued testing of anyone not sick enough to be hospitalized due to lack of tests

we are only testing very sick patients and therefore the death rate will be much higher simply due to testing nuances and not different therapies

Deaths / Number with Disease = death rate

you increase the number with disease by extensive testing of patients who aren't sick and therefore the death rate will appear very very low

there will be widespread discontinuation of ambulatory testing - if you have consistent symptoms but are not sick enough to be hospitalized - you will not be tested and simply assumed to have the disease and to self quarantine

those sick enough to be hospitalized and essential workers (healthcare workers, etc) will continue to be tested

there simply aren't enough tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
as things progress in your area, people will begin to lose autonomy with regards to health care -- google distributive justice

many hospitals are not allowing ANY visitors - some exceptions for surgery, critical care, impending death.
if your mom is hospitalized with pneumonia or COVID and does not meet very rigid exceptions - you are not allowed to visit - if you meet an exception only ONE visitor in the hospital (not room -the entire hospital is allowed)

we have cancelled all elective surgeries and procedures - including some coronary bypass surgeries that have been pushed back 6-8 weeks

patients that were to undergo extremely high risk procedures that were expected to have long ICU/hospital stays for potential recovery have been now reclassified as prohibitive risk and will not receive these interventions

lung transplant programs are on pause - Toronto - the largest program in the world will not be doing lung transplants for at least 2 weeks
I'm hearing from medical professionals that actually what is lacking isn't "kits". It's the reagents to run the tests. Guess where most of that is made. We live in a world economy and my guess is that S. Korea and China have snapped up most of the world's supply of reagents. I don't know if Europe makes any or not. Any time I get any lab supplies any more they've always got a "made in China" stamp or sticker slapped on them. I've been bitching for 3 years on here about not being able to buy machinery parts for my farm or supplies for my other activities that have a USA stamp on them.

I'm hearing from medical professionals that actually what is lacking isn't "kits". It's the reagents to run the tests. Guess where most of that is made. We live in a world economy and my guess is that S. Korea and China have snapped up most of the world's supply of reagents. I don't know if Europe makes any or not. Any time I get any lab supplies any more they've always got a "made in China" stamp or sticker slapped on them. I've been bitching for 3 years on here about not being able to buy machinery parts for my farm or supplies for my other activities that have a USA stamp on them.

yes - it is reagent/media deficiencies that limits testing

Means of production is so important!

It's more than the steel industry, we need to bring manufacturing back.
This has always been my thoughts, not ever politically minded, to me, only common sense.

Its things we always use, mostly, helps slow a slowing economy.
Sort of a rant by me,true, but hopefully foolish thoughts will be elimanated after we kick this wuhans arse.

It's more than the steel industry, we need to bring manufacturing back.
This has always been my thoughts, not ever politically minded, to me, only common sense.

Its things we always use, mostly, helps slow a slowing economy.
Sort of a rant by me,true, but hopefully foolish thoughts will be elimanated after we kick this wuhans arse.
If anything I hope this teaches us as a country that we need to be more self reliant. We need to find ways to bring productions back home. This may raise costs a bit on things, but in the long run I think it would be well worth it as a country to be done with China.

If anything I hope this teaches us as a country that we need to be more self reliant. We need to find ways to bring productions back home. This may raise costs a bit on things, but in the long run I think it would be well worth it as a country to be done with China.
I was always under the belief, if the people that make things thry themselves can't afford, then the pay isn't enough. Our tech industry has been used up and gutted, so, worldwide, we need to sell to ourselves first, and as many to others as we can, and acually compete.

It's taken this horrible scenario to get people to ,maybe for the first time in their lives, that we live in america, not the world. Every country has shut its borders in th EU, here, our states have done no such thing.

The EU shares nothing but money, we as americans share much more than that.

If there's any early light out the end of this tunnel, its this, for anyone willing to see.

Reactions: husker2612
I was always under the belief, if the people that make things thry themselves can't afford, then the pay isn't enough. Our tech industry has been used up and gutted, so, worldwide, we need to sell to ourselves first, and as many to others as we can, and acually compete.

It's taken this horrible scenario to get people to ,maybe for the first time in their lives, that we live in america, not the world. Every country has shut its borders in th EU, here, our states have done no such thing.

The EU shares nothing but money, we as americans share much more than that.

If there's any early light out the end of this tunnel, its this, for anyone willing to see.
Rumor is that they are shutting down KS-MO border

Good news that chloroquine seems to be highly effective in treating. Read where a French doctor did a small study and only 25% who took it tested positive after 6 days.

I believe I read where 95% of this is manufactured in China -

I believe I read where 95% of this is manufactured in China -

Seems like a national security risk, where are all the "think tanks" who are supposedly running these scenarios? I feel like we have been asleep at the wheel. We should have never unplugged the WOPR!

7yHN_GRMDzB6M9Og1Q0AyuxIfZ-cg7If6VGvXUl5ZxKwT_grb77C_kkYlltAMOSXhrf338m2g56ZY9k7-Po3d0XAQ9bb9mge

The days of getting your hands dirty and doesn't command decent monies is rearing its head.
It seems, guys that make TP have somehow risen in prominence?

Good news that chloroquine seems to be highly effective in treating. Read where a French doctor did a small study and only 25% who took it tested positive after 6 days.
I'm not against trying the drug for this use, BUT I haven't seen the details of how he conducted his "study" so we shouldn't get our hopes up to much on this one. I know I've seen other reports that deemed it ineffective. Personally I would try it if that was my only medicinal option.

I'm not against trying the drug for this use, BUT I haven't seen the details of how he conducted his "study" so we shouldn't get our hopes up to much on this one. I know I've seen other reports that deemed it ineffective. Personally I would try it if that was my only medicinal option.
There's a lot of links to it now that are abundant since they announced this shortly before noon our time.

Since this is a readily available product I hope it works as a therapeutic.

Did anybody else like the way the reporterette yesterday in the briefing was forced to repeat 3 times the name some Whitehouse staffer was using for COVID-19. Allegedly they called it Kung Flu. I don't care who you are. That's funny. Forget Chinese flu, Kung Flu it is to me from now on.
Winnie the flu

Did anybody else like the way the reporterette yesterday in the briefing was forced to repeat 3 times the name some Whitehouse staffer was using for COVID-19. Allegedly they called it Kung Flu. I don't care who you are. That's funny. Forget Chinese flu, Kung Flu it is to me from now on.

Sorry - don't find it funny.

Sorry - don't find it funny.
I do but then again I'm not one who is easily offended by jokes about my own ancestry. I'm not a politically correct guy I think that most politically correctness is complete bull#### by people looking for reasons to be angry. I have family members of Asian descent. I realize that there are some on here who have either family or friends of Chinese descent who might think it's inappropriate. My response to them is, get over it. It's funny. I loved the show Kung Fu. I go to Chinese restaurants and order Kung Pao Chicken. What's the difference in calling it the Kung Flu? It originated in China. It's a play on words and not an insult to anybody's ethnicity. Anybody viewing it as that needs to just get over it.

Interesting.

One of my hobbies is keeping reef aquariums. Chloroquine phosphate has always been an effective treatment for external parasites for fish.

About a month ago I noted several complaints about stockouts/shortages/ price gouging going on for this product by hobbyists.

Weird.

I do but then again I'm not one who is easily offended by jokes about my own ancestry. I'm not a politically correct guy I think that most politically correctness is complete bull#### by people looking for reasons to be angry. I have family members of Asian descent. I realize that there are some on here who have either family or friends of Chinese descent who might think it's inappropriate. My response to them is, get over it. It's funny. I loved the show Kung Fu. I go to Chinese restaurants and order Kung Pao Chicken. What's the difference in calling it the Kung Flu? It originated in China. It's a play on words and not an insult to anybody's ethnicity. Anybody viewing it as that needs to just get over it.

Those statements embolden idiots around the world to incite violence against Asians. I’m sorry but equating the name of a Chinese dish at a restaurant and assigning an ethnic origin to a virus that is going to kill millions is way off base

It is shameful that the president would refer to this as the Chinese virus - reprehensible.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie

From what I heard today....reagents will hopefully be available in 2-3 weeks. Most hospitals will have the ability to test once reagents are available ( at their local hospital ) and will be able to know if the test is positive in 45 minutes.

Those statements embolden idiots around the world to incite violence against Asians. I’m sorry but equating the name of a Chinese dish at a restaurant and assigning an ethnic origin to a virus that is going to kill millions is way off base

It is shameful that the president would refer to this as the Chinese virus - reprehensible.

Yeah i'm not so sure about that. I think somebody deranged enough to want to act out against somebody because of their race isn't going to feel like he just got the green light to do so just because we named the virus from it's country of origin. I'm going to assume somebody who would do that, was going to anyway and wouldn't listen if Trump said " don't do that" either.

To me, it has nothing to do with the people, everything to do with the leadership, and they do deserve a kick in the shins.
They did their own people no favors, nor the whole planet.

Smack all the spanish, them and their flu, like that? Or, smack all the radioactive nuke plant folks?
Anybody who thinks this way needs to go back to school.

Oh, that nuclear plant? Chernobyl.

this virus is going to kill millions?

He probably would if Russia was blaming it on the US
AND they suppressed the truth, AND it did originate there. If it started in the US I would assume someone would call it Yankee flu. Personally, I wouldn't be offended because I nickname alot of things, people and friends. My rule is don't make fun or laugh at someone else if you can't laugh at yourself first. If you can't you'll have nothing but hurt feelings heartache and misery

Reactions: dinglefritz

You are pathetic. People like you are the real problem, and are far more reprehensible than Trump. Grow the hell up.

And why would it be violence to all Asians when he said “Chinese?” You do realize that not all “Asians” are Chinese, don’t you? Someone as “woke” as you would never make such a generalizing and insensitive statement about Chinese people. Would you?

Dr Jacob Glanville of distributed bio, says his company will have a treatment ready for testing in 3-4 weeks. It's an antibody therapeutic that will allow body to fight virus in 20 minutes.....if successful. Seems pretty confident the Dr does

Wrong. This is the most recent Chinese Corona virus. Just like the Spanish Flu took off in Spain. We have the Chinese and their filthy "wet markets" and habit of slaughtering bats and snakes for food to blame for this apparently. Anybody who wants to take issue with this being called the Chinese Flu or the Kung Flu needs to get a reality check.

From what I heard today....reagents will hopefully be available in 2-3 weeks. Most hospitals will have the ability to test once reagents are available ( at their local hospital ) and will be able to know if the test is positive in 45 minutes.
Yikes! 2-3 weeks isn't fast enough. Look how far this thing has moved in the past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT