ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Williams in big time trouble now....

I think it is one of those things where a lot of people feel like they have to be "more outraged" than everyone else. So you have Poster X say "This is insane, he should be fired and in prison for life" and that just makes Poster Y have to be MORE outraged "Prison for life, so the taxpayers can foot the bill? No way, he should be given the death sentence, that POS!"

You may be right.

For me, whether it's a felony or misdemeanor impacts nothing other than what he may be ordered by law to do. I'd bet the farm that if he does have to do jail time, he's allowed to structure that time in a way that doesn't conflict with the season.

The fundamental choice about what you do if you're his boss remains the same. The legal process will not force your hand, you have to make a decision about how you handle this.

In Williams' case, I think the juice is worth the squeeze. I also suspect that Riley has a lot of T.O. in him, and by that I mean he hates to just throw a guy to the wolves who needs help.

You assemble a staff of human beings, they are going to make mistakes, they are going to have personal lives, they are going to need help sometimes. I see him putting a lot of effort and a lot of love into his players. I like the way he coaches

It's interesting to see how up on the high horse some people are about this. There's not way most of these people haven't driven under the influence at least 3 times themselves. We all know people who have battles with alcohol or substances. Most of us have a close friend or a family member who has been through that struggle.

"According to the Lincoln Journal Star crime reporter Nichole Manna, Nebraska wide receivers coach Keith Williams avoided felony DUI charge.

Williams will be charged with a misdemeanor careless driving infraction and is set to appear in court Monday at 2 pm."

I wonder how normal this reduction is given a b/a test was given.

"According to the Lincoln Journal Star crime reporter Nichole Manna, Nebraska wide receivers coach Keith Williams avoided felony DUI charge.

Williams will be charged with a misdemeanor careless driving infraction and is set to appear in court Monday at 2 pm."

I'm not sure if this was speculation or whether they know something, but I saw somebody say elsewhere that the blood test gave a different result than the breathalyzer.

Reactions: timnsun
Per twitter, he is out of jail on a personal recognizance bond and must return to court on Oct. 24. He cannot consume alcohol in the meantime.

I'll be honest, not so much high horse. But you can continue to think poorly of me anyway.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a perception that justice isn't blind. Politicians, sports figures, etc get treated differently, get treated better. Someone asked the question, (paraphrasing) what if this was one of your family or friends. Well, I guess I would have to block off my schedule to allow for prison visitation times.

But I guess as a Louisiana DA put it, "I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning"

I understand now.

Reactions: runningback43
Comparing college coaches and college athlete to average joe's and other college students.

You go to the extreme of POTUS, Congress, etc... Maybe my 2-year old should be held to the same standard as me. Come on man, I was keeping things at least relative and in perspective with one another.

OK, so to respond accurately, I went back and read every post of yours in this thread. 1 thing came across VERY LOUD & CLEAR. You certainly are very passionate about this issue. OR, you just like to post a lot, not sure. Perhaps your a lawyer?

So to summarize, I agreed with much of what you have been posting except for your comment on everyone being held to the same standard. I used "extreme" examples to illustrate a general principle that yes indeed, there are different standards for different positions. Perhaps you are approaching this from the opinion that that all men should all be viewed equally under the law and we agree on this point. I'm not really addressing from a punishment standpoint. I am addressing from a privilege standpoint. Losing ones job, or compensation for that job, or disciplinary measures do not necessarily fall under the category of "under the law". It simply means that having a D1 University coaching position requires a certain expertise and is compensated accordingly. Any employer has expectations for the job they are willing to compensate for. Being a College football coach is a privilege! A privilege not granted to but a select few. A college coach is in a position to influence young people. And, it is for this very reason that he MUST be held to a higher standard. Not a "higher standard" by a court of law. A higher standard befitting someone in his position. Just as holding an Engineering position is held to a different standard than a Lawyer or a Walmart Cashier.

Personally, I don't care what they decide to do with this coach. But I was a little taken aback that you don't seem to realize that there are different standards for different positions. Something like this seems rather self-evident to me.

Hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

I'll be honest, not so much high horse. But you can continue to think poorly of me anyway.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I have a perception that justice isn't blind. Politicians, sports figures, etc get treated differently, get treated better. Someone asked the question, (paraphrasing) what if this was one of your family or friends. Well, I guess I would have to block off my schedule to allow for prison visitation times.

But I guess as a Louisiana DA put it, "I want to emphasize once again that the main reason I'm doing this is that I refuse to ruin the lives of two young men who have spent their adolescence and teenage years, working and sweating, while we were all in the air conditioning"

I understand now.
If Riley doesn't dole out any punishments whatsoever, you have a point.

So basically the test results are close enough to the limit that the defense could successfully argue that the test was faulty, so the prosecutor could only charge him with careless driving.. He lucked out. He will serve no time. This one is over.

"The driver Williams hit initially just wanted to exchange information, but she called police when she asked Williams who his car insurance was through and he told her "Blue Cross Blue Shield"

haha drunks are sometimes funny. Except when they have their hands on the steering wheel.

.15 BAC - at that level, you have been throwing 'em down pretty steady.

So basically the test results are close enough to the limit that the defense could successfully argue that the test was faulty, so the prosecutor could only charge him with careless driving.. He lucked out. He will serve no time. This one is over.
He was charged with third offense DUI .08% AND careless driving. He will be spending some time on the other side of the bars.

He was charged with third offense DUI .08% AND careless driving. He will be spending some time on the other side of the bars.
I was going off what was said in the other post. If he still has the dui charge, then I take back what I stated.

It is time for Coach Williams to go. He has not shown the ability to refrain from driving while intoxicated. He cannot continue on being a coach and mentor to college students and I don't think he should be representing the University of Nebraska.

That is your opinion and you're are certainly entitled to it, but I think he could still be a great mentor and coach. He can speak about the dangers of alcohol, explain why he has to ride a bike to work like a child and tell about how he almost lost his life's work because of it. Kids will make mistakes and Coach Williams can show them that they can overcome them and still be successful. I think alot more is gained with that approach, but that is just my opinion.

It is time for Coach Williams to go. He has not shown the ability to refrain from driving while intoxicated. He cannot continue on being a coach and mentor to college students and I don't think he should be representing the University of Nebraska.

You missed the key word of "felony", that is what he avoided with the drop to .08 b/a.

This is an important thread. One of the most important in years I think. So the mods should delete the debate between 4.6.3 and Metal head. They can then discuss things privately if they feel they must. Please.... Freaking stop
If they delete the conversation 4.6.3 will just keep going because he's being targeted on the online message board about college football that is free.

And, while its good for the program that the charges were lessened this doesn't change the fact he still needs help and the university should help him get it.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

If the reports are true and the original charges were a decade ago, I think one slip up shouldn't get the book thrown at him like that. We live in a society that values giving people a chance, so he deserves a chance conditional on him getting treatment through the University.

The problem is HR gave him a pass on the priors. What should have taken place was a conditional hire with a clear directive that a DUI would cost him his job and to give him any support necessary.

Reactions: nu2u
Been 2 months since we last heard from you wasker. And to think, it took a bad event to bring you out of the woodwork to complain. Can't stand these coaches and this regime, can you?

The problem is HR gave him a pass on the priors. What should have taken place was a conditional hire with a clear directive that a DUI would cost him his job and to give him any support necessary.
We don't know that to be the case. There very well may have been very specific clauses in his contract about what would happen if he got into such a situation.

I'd be relatively surprised if the Ath Dept doesn't have clear guidelines about what the consequences are for something like this. Particularly after they just had an independent review of their culture and policies.

funny-graphs-holier-than-thou.gif

We don't know that to be the case. There very well may have been very specific clauses in his contract about what would happen if he got into such a situation.

I'd be relatively surprised if the Ath Dept doesn't have clear guidelines about what the consequences are for something like this. Particularly after they just had an independent review of their culture and policies.

You may not know it yet, listen to Riley this morning and reply back.

I'd be surprised if he sees jail time now, but will have probation and a ton of community service as well as probably lose his license. Riley will probably suspend him or something....not sure but there will be public checkmarks he has to reach and also private ones that we'll never hear about. He will still be coaching at Nebraska, though. Hopefully he uses it as an opportunity to really get past the partying without a ride once and for all and is honest with players about his troubles.
I don't blame anyone who thinks he should go after his 3rd arrest, it's not crazy to think that's grounds for termination, so stop with the "holier than though" slam...it is hypocritical...you are trying to be holier than thou by being "so forgiving." The only reason we care is because he's the football coach...if you saw an article in the paper titled "mortgage broker fired after 3rd dui arrest" you wouldn't even read it.

Great news about the charges being lowered. And here's that classy Zach Smith tweet for those who missed it...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I&#39;m sorry... I just can&#39;t even... <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Zone6?src=hash">#Zone6</a> is busy getting ready to be the Best in America (on the Field... Not on Twitter)</p>&mdash; Zach Smith #Zone6 (@CoachZachSmith) <a href=" ">August 14, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

He's not very good at social media. Imagine the goodwill that would have been directed his way if he had taken the high road and sent support instead of what he did. He would have squashed the prior mess and gained new fans.

He's not very good at social media. Imagine the goodwill that would have been directed his way if he had taken the high road and sent support instead of what he did. He would have squashed the prior mess and gained new fans.

Agreed. Although I'm now a fan of Hardie Buck. From the OWH...

Nebraska wide receivers graduate assistant Hardie Buck — who very well may have to coach the position during Monday's practice while Williams remains in jail — didn't care for it.

"Way to kick a man while he's down for your own personal gain you subtweeting classless coward. Grow up," read the tweet, posted by Buck and directed at Smith. The tweet has since been deleted.

Agreed. Although I'm now a fan of Hardie Buck. From the OWH...

Nebraska wide receivers graduate assistant Hardie Buck — who very well may have to coach the position during Monday's practice while Williams remains in jail — didn't care for it.

"Way to kick a man while he's down for your own personal gain you subtweeting classless coward. Grow up," read the tweet, posted by Buck and directed at Smith. The tweet has since been deleted.

I liked it too emotionally but again not smart use of social media, better to call the dude or let Husker fans fight that battle. He just lowered himself to the OSU coaches level, not where you want our coaches.

That is your opinion and you're are certainly entitled to it, but I think he could still be a great mentor and coach. He can speak about the dangers of alcohol, explain why he has to ride a bike to work like a child and tell about how he almost lost his life's work because of it. Kids will make mistakes and Coach Williams can show them that they can overcome them and still be successful. I think alot more is gained with that approach, but that is just my opinion.
I think he has had that opportunity twice before. Sorry, but I wouldn't want my son listening to him speak about the dangers of alcohol and driving. First time offender, sure. 2nd time offender, I don't think so. 3rd time offender, No way in Hell do I want him talking to my son about the dangers of alcohol!

Reactions: cecilB
I liked it too emotionally but again not smart use of social media, better to call the dude or let Husker fans fight that battle. He just lowered himself to the OSU coaches level, not where you want our coaches.

Coming from a GA in defense of his guy, I can live with it. Obviously Buck thought better of it and has since deleted the tweet (unlike Smith), but I still appreciate him having KW's back. In the future, better judgment from all NU coaches (paid or unpaid) is needed on Twitter and in life.

Coming from a GA in defense of his guy, I can live with it. Obviously Buck thought better of it and has since deleted the tweet (unlike Smith), but I still appreciate him having KW's back. In the future, better judgment from all NU coaches (paid or unpaid) is needed on Twitter and in life.
if he wasn't a fb coach people would not give him 4 chances. sure people mistakes. sure people should be given 2nd chances. but after 4 chances they have already proven they are high risk. he doesn't deserve to be burned on a stake. he also doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university.
he should be able to work . but not in this job. the admins would have kicked a player out of the program after 2 arrests and they are just kids.
why are giving adults who should know better twice as many chances as kids?

if he wasn't a fb coach people would not give him 4 chances. sure people mistakes. sure people should be given 2nd chances. but after 4 chances they have already proven they are high risk. he doesn't deserve to be burned on a stake. he also doesn't deserve to be on the football staff of a major university.
he should be able to work . but not in this job. the admins would have kicked a player out of the program after 2 arrests and they are just kids.

Maybe because this is his first offense as a Husker.

Reactions: SOHusker11

I'm not sure KW should get another chance, but I'm also not dismissing the possibility. I don't profess to have the answers and none of us has all the facts, but I do think there's a case to be made for his possible retention (with plenty of conditions) or an outright termination. I don't envy the decision Eichorst, Riley & Co. have ahead of them, but whichever way they go, I'll support it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT