ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Games

Nov 28, 2016
FSU being robbed has already been addressed but how in the H3ll did Wisconsin and their crappy record get a New Year’s Day Bowl? I mean WTF!!??

Glad an 8 team playoff will be starting but I think it should stop there. The top 8 could literally challenge for the NC but beyond that it gets to be too much and if you are ranked 9-10 end of season you probably have two losses and can’t complain about being left out.

Over and out (for now)

FSU being robbed has already been addressed but how in the H3ll did Wisconsin and their crappy record get a New Year’s Day Bowl? I mean WTF!!??

Glad an 8 team playoff will be starting but I think it should stop there. The top 8 could literally challenge for the NC but beyond that it gets to be too much and if you are ranked 9-10 end of season you probably have two losses and can’t complain about being left out.

Over and out (for now)
Probably because b1g has more tie ins with new years day bowls than others. One thing I don't like about b1g. Play several new years day games and at the same time

Looks like 6 H2H of $EC and B1G teams. Will be curious to see how those come out.

A twelve team is not enough, just copy FCS and be done with it. Bowl games are a joke anymore, how many players just opt out anyway as the bowl games really don't mean much if you are not playing for something. Most of the crowds are weak as well.

• Love
Reactions: cavalot and BTF69
A twelve team is not enough, just copy FCS and be done with it. Bowl games are a joke anymore, how many players just opt out anyway as the bowl games really don't mean much if you are not playing for something. Most of the crowds are weak as well.
Just have a single elimination tournament at the start of the season with all 133 FBS teams. Whoever survives till the bitter end is the champion.

Anyone remember the days when Bob Devaney & Bear Bryant largely determined who would where for bowl games? 🤣

There is not a team in D1 that would rather play in a bowl game, with maybe 10K fans, over a playoff game where they have a "chance" to pull off a huge upset and advance.

12 is great, 16 would be amazing and a fun sheet to fill out.

I want it to go to 16. The bowl games are garbage. Give me games with teams that have something to play for.
Yep!

Like I just posted, players don't care about bowl games.

"Oh wow, we are playing at 11am on a Tuesday, in Mobile! With maybe 10.000 fans there!"

Last edited:
Reactions: JOHNNY N
No it's not. Everyone gets a fair chance that way and if you don't win, you only have yourself to blame.
Exactly. Far less ridiculous than an undefeated team not being given a chance to compete for a championship.
Get serious, with 120 teams in the playoff 60 schools would be done playing football after one week..That’s what’s ridiculous.

FSU not making the playoffs was because of having only 4 teams in it..
Next year unbeaten team won’t get shafted..

Get serious, with 120 teams in the playoff 60 schools would be done playing football after one week..That’s what’s ridiculous.

One game seasons will be great for player safety. Or you could have multiple loser brackets so we can truly rank 1-120.

Next year isn't good enough. FSU got ****ed now. Damage to the "product" (its supposed to be a sport) is permanent and people are walking away.

if this had been Nebraska in 94 this place would be a dumpster fire.

Reactions: moralvictories

It used to be that the entire season was the playoff. The need to crown one tournament champion is crazy. From a TV standpoint it’s just a huge money grab to take money from the charities surrounding traditional bowl games and shift it to networks and conferences.

How is that any different than what we got now? Most teams seasons (except for a select few) are over after 1 loss. This is a more honest system. If you win, you're in. The losing teams would have the option of scheduling exhibition games with the other losing teams. However those games won't count for anything much like bowl games outside the playoffs.

Expand it to 24 and Iowa might have a shot to make the playoff someday….
Expand it to everyone, and Iowa has a chance every year. Of course, they have to win 7 or 8 games in a row to reach the championship, so there's that, lol.

The old BCS was better. Would have had Michigan and Washington and no SEC this year. Glad we expanded it to 4 to fix it...now with 12 we'll get half the SEC in. Hahaha.

"Not everything we call progress is progress"
...Paul Harvey
Under the old BCS system, FSU still gets left out, so that part didn't change, lol.

Under the old BCS system, FSU still gets left out, so that part didn't change, lol.

I understand...and its OK because they aren't one of the two best teams so it would have worked out....juat like this year....only now we gave the SEC another chance to put a pelt on their wall.

I understand...and its OK because they aren't one of the two best teams so it would have worked out....juat like this year....only now we gave the SEC another chance to put a pelt on their wall.
The difference is, no SEC team deserved to get in ahead of Florida State.

The old BCS was better. Would have had Michigan and Washington and no SEC this year. Glad we expanded it to 4 to fix it...now with 12 we'll get half the SEC in. Hahaha.

"Not everything we call progress is progress"
...Paul Harvey
Exactly. All we’re doing is allowing teams who screwed up a chance to prove that they’re the “best”. It’s a a goofy money grab driven by TV and gambling revenue. I’ll puke if Bama wins it again.

I want it to go to 16. The bowl games are garbage. Give me games with teams that have something to play for.
The biggest thing about these bowl games is figuring out who actually wants to be playing. The team that bitches the most about not being in that higher rated bowl, lose almost every single time as the betting favorite in the game.

Games in the regular season don't matter anymore so it's not as ridiculous as you think
How many fans would be interested in watching Nebraska play Vanderbilt in an early October losers bracket contest.... the winner facing Bowling Green who gained home field advantage by virtue of their upset over Minnesota?

Regular season doesnt matter at all then.

• Haha
Reactions: moralvictories
Next year isn't good enough. FSU got ****ed now. Damage to the "product" (its supposed to be a sport) is permanent and people are walking away.
I don't know where you get your information but viewership is at an all-time high and steadily increasing. If people are walking away, they are being replaced by a greater number of viewers.

How many fans would be interested in watching Nebraska play Vanderbilt in an early October losers bracket contest.... the winner facing Bowling Green who gained home field advantage by virtue of their upset over Minnesota?
200.gif

I don't know where you get your information but viewership is at an all-time high and steadily increasing. If people are walking away, they are being replaced by a greater number of viewers.
This is gonna be a fairly new thing. The bending over with no lube just happened. Herbstreit and Gameday won't be welcome in Tallahassee ever again. They'll need security up the ass.

This is gonna be a fairly new thing. The bending over with no lube just happened. Herbstreit and Gameday won't be welcome in Tallahassee ever again. They'll need security up the ass.
This keeps getting weirder. Herbstreit and Gameday did not chose the CFB playoff teams lol.

Your claim that people are "walking away" from college football is refuted by the record viewership numbers. Florida State will field a team next year and their home games will be sold out. No one is walking away.

This keeps getting weirder. Herbstreit and Gameday did not chose the CFB playoff teams lol.

Your claim that people are "walking away" from college football is refuted by the record viewership numbers. Florida State will field a team next year and their home games will be sold out. No one is walking away.
Dude have any games been played since the screwjob?

I’ll say it again…

If you have 16 teams, you deal with the 1 vs 16 and 2vs 15 games.

If you have 12 teams, your 1st round “play-in” games are at worst 5 vs 12. Man…great matchups.

Not to mention, the teams that played and won those games will be better prepared to play the top teams after that game because of not having to deal with the layoff-caused poor blocking, tackling, ball security, execution, etc.

12 is a perfect number.

10 conferences, one champ from each conference, neutral sites, wildcard games as needed. ND needs to join a conference. No invitations, no committees. You win, your in. QB out, you're still in, like SF was last year in Philly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT