ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 and SEC

The hate for the conference that's keeping NU football alive is bizarre to me.
I posted this before, but it is the simple truth for those like Kong who can't handle reality.
Listen. I miss the old Big 8 days as well. Those days are long gone. But it is what it is. The Pac 12 is dead. The Big 12 is nothing without Texass and OU. The ACC is going to lose FSU soon to the Big 10. Clemson will probably go SEC.
That leaves 2 mega conferences. Big 10 and SEC. So, the question you have to ask yourself. Are you Big 10 or are you SEC? Last I checked Nebraska is Midwest. Not South or East. We share a border with Iowa. I would much rather be in a conference without Texass. With our 4 new additions it gives us the opportunity to recruit coast to coast. The 4 new teams are all fun to watch. Will make for a very exciting and competitive conference. Big 10 makes the most money and pays our bills. Period.

I posted this before, but it is the simple truth for those like Kong who can't handle reality.
Listen. I miss the old Big 8 days as well. Those days are long gone. But it is what it is. The Pac 12 is dead. The Big 12 is nothing without Texass and OU. The ACC is going to lose FSU soon to the Big 10. Clemson will probably go SEC.
That leaves 2 mega conferences. Big 10 and SEC. So, the question you have to ask yourself. Are you Big 10 or are you SEC? Last I checked Nebraska is Midwest. Not South or East. We share a border with Iowa. I would much rather be in a conference without Texass. With our 4 new additions it gives us the opportunity to recruit coast to coast. The 4 new teams are all fun to watch. Will make for a very exciting and competitive conference. Big 10 makes the most money and pays our bills. Period.
And then the BIG and SEC will tell the NCAA to pound sand when it come to football.

Get ready for a NFL style system with contracts, bargaining, for about 42 to 44 teams.

Nebraska is solidly one thanks to the BIG.

And then the BIG and SEC will tell the NCAA to pound sand when it come to football.

Get ready for a NFL style system with contracts, bargaining, for about 42 to 44 teams.

Nebraska is solidly one thanks to the BIG.
At this moment, I am not sure that is true. ADTA mentioned a possible separation that could include a culling of those that are currently “in”. I think it’s important for NU to pull out of its tailspin before any such separation list is being discussed/finalized. If we do, then I am sure we are in.

Not that it matters...but if that UT ball boy doesn't catch that ball, UT doesn't get 1 second back on the clock. That virgin should have been flagged, it is not his job to catch balls that are going out of bounds, the ball is supposed to be left along so that it can hit the ground and that is when the clock stops.
I think they could have easily had 1 second left if the ball boy lets it go, simply if the receiver after the first long completion downfield didn’t have to hot dog it a bit after the catch. I didn’t see it live, so not sure if any time ticked off while they were setting up, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they lost some time…

Great catch! Know that the clock is ticking and hand the ball back to the ref as quickly as possible, then run back and get in place. Is that too hard?

Reactions: BTF69

sankey the despot who took texas and ou needlessly, perhaps, seems to be on a long-term path reconfiguring college sports to the benefit of a few. or maybe this will be like the ill-advised "alliance." banging heads with ohio state and michigan is not like taking out oklahoma state and utah. we shall see.

Last edited:
it's become a big business - collegiate sports - billions actually. and with that comes rationalization at some point. but businesses exist to satisfy customer needs.

i wonder if a 30-school setup does that? it would leave a lot of assets, demand, fans, geography, and schools wanting, methinks. i mean do k-state fans start rooting for nebraska or ku, isu for ioway, oSu for ou - really? idk.

a lot of needs left unsatisfied with the direction many of you see so clearly.

Last edited:
it's become a big business - collegiate sports - billions actually. and with that comes rationalization at some point. but businesses exist to satisfy customer needs.

i wonder if a 30-school setup does that? it would leave a lot of assets, demand, fans, geography, and schools wanting, methinks. i mean do k-state fans start rooting for nebraska or ku, isu for ioway, oSu for ou - really? idk.

A lot of it depends on perspective. Husker fans are already on the inside. KSU fans on the outside looking in. Of course we see it clearly and you don’t. You aren’t at the table.

Reactions: bigboxes
Anyone complaining about us being in the B1G should stop. Huge forward-thinking move at the time and the way things are lining up everyone else will be outside looking in.
The University of Nebraska may be the luckiest institution in the country. Nebraska has done next to nothing on the field/court to add to the B1G, yet the school is printing money to store on top of more money and is in such a strong conference.

Imagine how we’d feel if Missouri got the Big 10 invitation and we were left stuck in the corpse of the Big 12….

The University of Nebraska may be the luckiest institution in the country. Nebraska has done next to nothing on the field/court to add to the B1G, yet the school is printing money to store on top of more money and is in such a strong conference.

Imagine how we’d feel if Missouri got the Big 10 invitation and we were left stuck in the corpse of the Big 12….
Good question. Would we have gone to the $ec? Would they have been interested in round 1? 2 with a&m, or round 3? Good question

KSU won’t lose all 135 of their fans - they will just have to learn to be excited about a D1 purgatory somewhere between the big dogs and Div1A.

The college world has been broken up this way forever, it’s likely just adding one more sub-class. Embrace it!

Truth This Is True GIF by Ford

Agree. If it was open market it right now it would be tough to get in BUT our blue-blood status and following would still get us into the top conferences I think. We just need to flip the script with Rhule so we don’t have to justify it anymore.

Reactions: huskerfan66
I've said that for years. If the B1G and SEC negotiated media deals as ONE entity, they'd be making a lot more money. And more cross B1G/SEC games would drive TV eyeballs/rating even higher.
logical falacy. are eyeballs going to go from k-state to N because of collegiate football rationalization? i don't believe that for a second. are new eyeballs going to appear, grandma going to start watching it because fewer play? i don't believe that for a minute. y'all see so clearly what is very murky from a fundamentals standpoint.

logical falacy. are eyeballs going to go from k-state to N because of collegiate football rationalization? i don't believe that for a second. are new eyeballs going to appear, grandma going to start watching it because fewer play? i don't believe that for a minute. y'all see so clearly what is very murky from a fundamentals standpoint.
More eyeballs come from more competitive games between teams that each have large passionate fanbases. Which games draw the biggest ratings? It's games between big name teams like the Michigan-Ohio State game each year. So think games like Ohio State-Alabama.

More eyeballs come from more competitive games between teams that each have large passionate fanbases.
the fanbases are not going to change or become more passionate. the minnesota vikings fanbase is not more passionate than the cornhuskers.

the logic here is missing badly. it will be like baseball in decline from america's pastime to passed time.

the fanbases are not going to change or become more passionate. the minnesota vikings fanbase is not more passionate than the cornhuskers. the logic here is missing badly. it will be like baseball in decline from america's past time to passed time.
So you don't think more people will watch Ohio State-Alabama more than they will watch Iowa State-Kansas State? Which of those games do you think would command higher advertising rates?

So you don't think more people will watch Ohio State-Alabama more than they will watch Iowa State-Kansas State?
that of course is not the choice if isu/ksu goes away. the choice - will their fans suddenly start watching osu/bama or better yet auburn/ucla?

i believe that's simply false logic. they won't. they'll go pheasant hunting. and college football will take on a new lower place in american sports culture from second today to who knows how low?

we love the game because it represents us, not them. auburn does not represent k-state, nor nebraska cu.

Reactions: HuskerAlum92
So basically the thought process here is to cut the FBS schools down in numbers. What would/should be the magic number?? 36? 48?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT