ADVERTISEMENT

9 best gameday atmospheres

Definitely surprised Florida and Texas A&M aren’t on here. Also Oregon and Virginia Tech, though that might just be when those teams are good.

Just another one of these clickbait “one dude’s opinion” things. It is interesting, but meaningless. Just like that other list of best stadium atmospheres that had the Rose Bowl at number 3 and Virginia Tech rated ahead of us.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Just another one of these clickbait “one dude’s opinion” things. It is interesting, but meaningless. Just like that other list of best stadium atmospheres that had the Rose Bowl at number 3 and Virginia Tech rated ahead of us.
Ha, you beat me to it. Pennsy. People complain about tweets and articles that are not favorable as being “click bait” but quite the opposite when the say “like and retweet if your team made the list.”

Last edited:
Michigan is one of the worst game day experiences. No one was rude or mean, the were very nice and friendly but just boring as ****. The tailgating is okay I guess, the bars are no where close to the stadium.

Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minny (sort of)
all better than Michigan.

Hell even NW was decent.

Reactions: HuskerDubby
NU's atmosphere grows by leaps and bounds with winning

Absolutely. There has been a noticeable drop in both attendance and intensity at games in the past three years. I usually attend two a year and have been struck by the drop off in enthusiasm. And it isn't just that we are losing. It is also that the games are sloppy. It is not a fun product to watch. I brought my son in law to his first NU game last year. He and my daughter live in New Jersey and he is a big Rutgers fan. I wanted to show him what a "big boy" environment was. It was the Northwestern game and we won, but the game was ugly as f$ck. My son in law was impressed with the downtown Lincoln scene before the game. Loved that brew pub called "The Boiler Room". But the stadium lacked a good vibe that day.

Absolutely. There has been a noticeable drop in both attendance and intensity at games in the past three years. I usually attend two a year and have been struck by the drop off in enthusiasm. And it isn't just that we are losing. It is also that the games are sloppy. It is not a fun product to watch. I brought my son in law to his first NU game last year. He and my daughter live in New Jersey and he is a big Rutgers fan. I wanted to show him what a "big boy" environment was. It was the Northwestern game and we won, but the game was ugly as f$ck. My son in law was impressed with the downtown Lincoln scene before the game. Loved that brew pub called "The Boiler Room". But the stadium lacked a good vibe that day.
my first game was in the student section in the early 80's and we beat penn state by just kicking feild goals..but I knew we was in it...the last game I been to was callahan vs a&m..and even though I think we was up by 17 at the half...I knew bohl's defense was going to blow it, and we did.....hopefully we get that confidence back some year.

I remember watching some them 70's and 80's 0u games on tv..and the crowd roared..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
my first game was in the student section in the early 80's and we beat penn state by just kicking feild goals..but I knew we was in it...the last game I been to was callahan vs a&m..and even though I think we was up by 17 at the half...I knew bohl's defense was going to blow it, and we did.....hopefully we get that confidence back some year.

I remember watching some them 70's and 80's 0u games on tv..and the crowd roared..
I think you mean cosgrove’s defense would blow it… Bohl was under Solich.

author obviously has never been to notre dame, the holy grail of college football saturdays.

A night game in death valley LSU is probably the best. That's what @rrthusker will tell ya.
I went to the Nebraska game there in (I believe) 1977. We were preseason #1 and we were tied by them. They celebrated like they won the game. The fans were more than a little intimidating. Great atmosphere.

Reactions: HBK4life
I went to the Nebraska game there in (I believe) 1977. We were preseason #1 and we were tied by them. They celebrated like they won the game. The fans were more than a little intimidating. Great atmosphere.
when i was a youngster in sioux city on saturday nights babysitting, i'd listen to an am blowtorch out of new orleans that broadcast paul dietzel's chinese bandits' national champions. i fell for them then and to this day hold a place in my heart for the bengal tigers. dietzel left lsu for army. how times have changed.

bill callahan won the only game vs am where he had a lead (11 points) at the half in 06.. lost 36-14 in 07 down 2 at half.

when i was a youngster in sioux city on saturday nights babysitting, i'd listen to an am blowtorch out of new orleans that broadcast paul dietzel's chinese bandits' national champions. i fell for them then and to this day hold a place in my heart for the bengal tigers. dietzel left lsu for army. how times have changed.
What was that station? I remember them too. After sunset on AM would always listen to that, Oklahoma city, koma, Chicago/WLS

What was that station? I remember them too. After sunset on AM would always listen to that, Oklahoma city, koma, Chicago/WLS
probably wwl 870 out of new orleans. i really don't remember. just took a quick google look. 870 sounds right. whatever, it was clear channel 50,000 watts back then all the way to ioway. remember, late-50s/early 60s there was damn near zero tv of college games and very little nfl. we watched the fighting irish and forest eashevski's hawks on sunday tv replays. N was terrible back then before the irishman arrived in lincoln.

Last edited:
author obviously has never been to notre dame, the holy grail of college football saturdays.

went to a couple of Notre Dame games while in high school. standing on the sidelines was quite the sight to see for pre-game. outside the stadium was cool for the walk-up. went to a purdue game the following weekend and it was not even close. their locker rooms and weight facilities were pathetic.

Reactions: leodisflowers
went to a couple of Notre Dame games while in high school kid. standing on the sidelines was quite the sight to see for pre-game. outside the stadium was cool for the walk-up. went to a purdue game the following weekend and it was not even close. their locker rooms and weight facilities were pathetic.
purdue is really a mbb school first and foremost. football, like at ku, just gets the boilers through fall.

probably wwl 870 out of new orleans. i really don't remember. just took a quick google look. 870 sounds right. whatever, it was clear channel 50,000 watts back then all the way to ioway. remember, late-50s/early 60s there was damn near zero tv of college games and very little nfl. we watched the fighting irish and forest eashevski's hawks on sunday tv replays. N was terrible back then before the irishman arrived in lincoln.
Yeah that 870 sounds about right.

Reactions: AVeritas
bill callahan won the only game vs am where he had a lead (11 points) at the half in 06.. lost 36-14 in 07 down 2 at half.
ok maybe we just had 14 at half and were still in the game, then the d blew it...I can't remember everything... the worst was when I was in rome and found a Irish bar with the Nebraska game on (every other tv had soccer on) and we were like up 21 vs ucla..when I set down...then I watched ucla hang like 40+ on us..talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory..I guess the good thing was it was just soccers fans around me as I drank my sorrows away.

Michigan is one of the worst game day experiences. No one was rude or mean, the were very nice and friendly but just boring as ****. The tailgating is okay I guess, the bars are no where close to the stadium.

Purdue
Illinois
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minny (sort of)
all better than Michigan.

Hell even NW was decent.
Northwestern was pretty – walking along Lake Michigan, Lots of trees on the campus. I didn’t think much of Iowa.

Northwestern was pretty – walking along Lake Michigan, Lots of trees on the campus. I didn’t think much of Iowa.
northwestern is like visiting an old texas high school stadium. the worst atmosphere though i'll reserve for stanford. my god those people could care less. when k-state played against christian mcaffrey's team (he should have won the heisman) it was half empty and half of those wore purple. their band is a parody. and the mascot a tree.
Stanford-Football.png

northwestern is like visiting an old texas high school stadium. the worst atmosphere though i'll reserve for stanford. my god those people could care less. when k-state played against christian mcaffrey's team (he should have won the heisman) it was half empty and half of those wore purple. their band is a parody. and the mascot a tree.
Stanford-Football.png
Were the students even there? On qtr system and most of their non-conference schedule takes place before school starts IIRC

Were the students even there? On qtr system and most of their non-conference schedule takes place before school starts IIRC
if they were, i didn't notice. they call it "the farm," better description would be "the pasture."

if they were, i didn't notice. they call it "the farm," better description would be "the pasture."
Yeah, the stadium sucked, but the walk to the stadium was nice. The band plays the opponents fight song. I went to a game where we couldn’t handle a punt, But won anyway. I think that was the game where in the paper next day the Northwestern quarterback, Kane coulter maybe? Said he had to use a silent count in his own stadium, because Nebraska fans were so loud. Hilarious!

Yeah, the stadium sucked, but the walk to the stadium was nice. The band plays the opponents fight song. I went to a game where we couldn’t handle a punt, But won anyway. I think that was the game where in the paper next day the Northwestern quarterback, Kane coulter maybe? Said he had to use a silent count in his own stadium, because Nebraska fans were so loud. Hilarious!
That's been the stadium to go to if you want to go see Husker's on the road because its easy to get tickets. Kinda like the gold ol days in the Big 8 at some stadiums mainly ISU, KU and KSU. For those who didn't have home season tickets they could actually get to a game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT