ADVERTISEMENT

Big 10 and SEC

So basically the thought process here is to cut the FBS schools down in numbers. What would/should be the magic number?? 36? 48?
probably 60, three 20-team conferences would cover the nation nicely. cut it to the sec and b10 - the game is going to collapse.

probably 60, three 20-team conferences would cover the nation nicely. cut it to the sec and b10 - the game is going to collapse.
So after this year there will be 34 teams in the $ec and b1g. I m going with 48. 14 more teams. Any bigger and I think it defeats the purpose...not that I am saying that is good. Just speculation

what purpose?
If they're thinking of negotiating an NFL type of contract with similar number of teams. I could be completely wrong with that but I think that's the intent. If the $ec and b1g are getting their heads together to negotiate, there's obviously something that they want. I don't think they're doing this on behalf of all ncaa schools

If they're thinking of negotiating an NFL type of contract with similar number of teams. I could be completely wrong with that but I think that's the intent. If the $ec and b1g are getting their heads together to negotiate, there's obviously something that they want. I don't think they're doing this on behalf of all ncaa schools
well, i'm not arguing that point at all. when has sankey ever done anything to advance the sport? i'm just saying that the assumptions here are fundamentally flawed if assuming fans are going to switch allegiance from their university because of rationalization.

logical falacy. are eyeballs going to go from k-state to N because of collegiate football rationalization? i don't believe that for a second. are new eyeballs going to appear, grandma going to start watching it because fewer play? i don't believe that for a minute. y'all see so clearly what is very murky from a fundamentals standpoint.
bye-bye-bye.gif

well, i'm not arguing that point at all. when has sankey ever done anything to advance the sport? i'm just saying that the assumptions here are fundamentally flawed if assuming fans are going to switch allegiance from their university because of rationalization.
I don't think there will be any allegiance switching initially. However I do feel over a 20 year period for example, there's been more ks residents that have become cat fans and jayhawk fans. 30 years ago, especially in nw ks, I saw as much if not more husker gear and flags than I did ku, ksu or cu combined. NU's slide and both ksu and ku rise has changed that over time

Would that have the same affect if the landscape totally changed 🤔 I don't know.

I wish the big 8 still existed and then took conference champs and put them in a playoff. Pac, acc,big 8, big ten, swc, sec, big east and fill in the blank for the last one. But again someone wouldn't be happy.

Just spitballing but it could have been done. Bowl games and tie ins kinda wrecked that.

It's unfortunate where cfb is today but it is what it is. Now how to move forward because it's the wild wild west really

the fanbases are not going to change or become more passionate. the minnesota vikings fanbase is not more passionate than the cornhuskers.

the logic here is missing badly. it will be like baseball in decline from america's pastime to passed time.
This is an extremely odd take.

The person you are quoting is talking about brands that people will watch across the country, regardless of fanbase. Not necessarily changing fanbases or growing more passionate. It's a number's game.

The very reason the B1G and SEC are taking in teams like OU, Texas, and USC, is because they know people will watch games those schools are involved in, regardless of fanbase, particularly if they are playing each other.

It's not, who is going to watch Northwestern play Indiana. It's who is going to watch Ohio State play Oregon in primetime. Or Texas play LSU, while Penn State is playing at USC and Alabama is playing Oklahoma.

And the answer to that question is, "a fvckton of people." Excuse my French.

The person you are quoting is talking about brands that people will watch across the country, regardless of fanbase. Not necessarily changing fanbases or growing more passionate. It's a number's game.

The very reason the B1G and SEC are taking in teams like OU, Texas, and USC, is because they know people will watch games those schools are involved in, regardless of fanbase, particularly if they are playing each other.

It's not, who is going to watch Northwestern play Indiana. It's who is going to watch Ohio State play Oregon in primetime. Or Texas play LSU, while Penn State is playing at USC and Alabama is playing Oklahoma.

I agree with this and I think the conference heads feel like they are in position to make that move

Reactions: leodisflowers
More eyeballs come from more competitive games between teams that each have large passionate fanbases. Which games draw the biggest ratings? It's games between big name teams like the Michigan-Ohio State game each year. So think games like Ohio State-Alabama.
So do you believe it's a ploy from the $ec and the b1g to further distance themselves financially from the rest of the NCAA div 1 fbs schools or do you think they're wanting to organize their own league/division?

This is where I was going to go as well.

K state fans will watch k state. Duh. But what about the rest of the fans whose team may not be playing? Which game are they going to choose to watch?

Let’s see… averitas, what do you think?

K state fans will watch k state. Duh. But what about the rest of the fans whose team may not be playing? Which game are they going to choose to watch?

So assuming nothing else changes. B1g and $ec will play cross over non-conference games? Otherwise what would really be in it for the broadcasting co? If I'm going to pay big media rights then I don't want to pay for Alabama vs southern Jackie Jr high

fans will exit in droves if this becomes a minor pro league. it will be like baseball, once the nation's pastime. fans are tied to schools, passionately.

the sec took ou and texas to get their fanbases. not the other way around.

when you drive k-state out of the game, the industry loses $110 million in direct revenue. these hayseeds are not going to buy N tickets, donate to the N club, buy husker gear, or give a damn when they play ucla that saturday. they'll cut wheat then go catfishing saturdays evenings instead.

fans will exit in droves if this becomes a minor pro league. it will be like baseball, once the nation's pastime. fans are tied to schools, passionately.

when you drive k-state out of the game, the industry loses $110 million in direct revenue. these hayseeds are not going to buy N tickets, donate to the N club, buy husker gear, or give a damn when they play ucla that saturday. they'll cut wheat then go catfishing saturdays evenings instead.
So you're saying that'll be the end of football at kstate? I doubt it.

First gotta see what this new advisory committee intentions really are

So you're saying that'll be the end of football at kstate? I doubt it.

First gotta see what this new advisory committee intentions really are
i have no faith that a greg sankey lead commission will do anything productive for the game. clearly, he's a primary driver, along with the nutless ncaa, for the current state of affairs. an association of leaderless nabobs who can see no further than the end of their appendage is not going to bring progress.

But who's saying they will? Again, it's such an odd take.

I don't see anyone in this thread saying that and I don't see anyone in the SEC or B1G offices saying that.

What everyone is saying is that big games will draw big ratings. And that's it.

Let me rephrase… If you’re a fan of college football, no matter what form it takes, and your team is not playing, who are you going to watch? Iowa State versus Kansas State? Or are you going to watch something from whatever this could become?

There are a lot of games that are played on Saturdays. I’m not going to watch K State take on whoever if Penn State is playing LSU.

So be it if we lose some K state fans to catfishing or any other activity they would rather do. I don’t believe for a second that the average football fan would rather watch K state over PSU-LSU.

The other thing to consider is who will be broadcasting these games? ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, ESPN, all are much more likely to offer these games. K State-ISU may be streamed, may only be regional, and isn’t gonna get the national attention this potential merger could get.

I don’t see North Dakota State or whoever is the top dog in D-II on tv much. That could be the fate for whoever is left out… we won’t really know until this takes more shape.

Reactions: leodisflowers
if an iowa state fan sees the school relegated - needlessly i might add - to a third-tier program, they will checkout from college football. sure, a small number will be in jack trice, maybe 15-20,000 instead of the normal 60,000.

but the program will dry up. revenues from pledges, ticket sales, gear, conference earnings, tv, radio, etc. will drop from $100,000,000 to 10-15% of that. and cyclone fans will walk from the game. thus, the game will suffer over time as this is duplicated at school after school across the landscape.

if an iowa state fan sees the school relegated - needlessly i might add - to a third-tier program, they will checkout from college football. sure, a small number will be in jack trice, maybe 15-20,000 instead of the normal 60,000.

but the program will dry up. revenues from pledges, ticket sales, gear, conference earnings, tv, radio, etc. will drop from $100,000,000 to 10-15% of that. and cyclone fans will walk from the game. thus, the game will suffer over time as this is duplicated at school after school across the landscape.
What you’re failing to recognize is that the Big Ten and the SEC will continue to make money hand over fist. They don’t care if Iowa State dries on the vine. They’re not trying to save college football. What they are trying to do is grow their brand. And how do you do it? With this merger. It is going to make more money than we would’ve ever dreamed. That doesn’t make it the right move… But you cannot convince me that it won’t be a huge moneymaker no matter which left out school dries on the vine.

I dont think the big ten and sec joining forces means that all the other teams go away.
No way it ends up a 48 or even 60 team league.
Some schools should be worried but not kansas or kstate. Will they get paid as much? Heck no.

Reactions: timnsun
Think of "The Star Bellied Sneetches," Dr Suess, we have a star on ours.
The Leagues not SEC, or B1G are trying to build a "star on" machine. They likely do not have the $$

What you’re failing to recognize is that the Big Ten and the SEC will continue to make money hand over fist. They don’t care if Iowa State dries on the vine. They’re not trying to save college football. What they are trying to do is grow their brand. And how do you do it? With this merger. It is going to make more money than we would’ve ever dreamed. That doesn’t make it the right move… But you cannot convince me that it won’t be a huge moneymaker no matter which left out school dries on the vine.
i'm not arguing greed here. i understand that perfectly and agree with you, 100%. it's very much like liv golf in that way.

I dont think the big ten and sec joining forces means that all the other teams go away.
No way it ends up a 48 or even 60 team league.
Some schools should be worried but not kansas or kstate. Will they get paid as much? Heck no.
if it ends with a 60-team league, then i agree that it likely prospers compared to today's untidiness. if it turns to a 30-40 school format, as some envision, where there's no place for utah, k-state, nc state, tcu, and the like, the game will suffer dramatically.

if it ends with a 60-team league, then i agree that it likely prospers compared to today's untidiness. if it turns to a 30-40 school format, as some envision, where there's no place for utah, k-state, nc state, tcu, and the like, the game will suffer dramatically.
Let's be honest, there would be enough content for the fans of the big ten and sec to watch and not suffer.

Wasn't it a KSU AD who wrote a book admitting that at the formation of the b12 they proposed, voted on, and passed rules that would negatively affect NU on that very purpose because of the juggernaut they were at the time?

Kudos to that KSU AD for admitting that and coming clean. But, screw you guys, and every other big12 AD who voted for that, if that is true. Karma coming back round to some extent as far as I see it.

Big 12 had great potential. Too bad Nebraska was in the cross hairs of that league before the paint was dry on the league office walls.

We've had to watch college football get shittier and shittier for Nebraska since 1996. Sorry, not feeling sorry for you one bit wildcat.

Let's be honest, there would be enough content for the fans of the big ten and sec to watch and not suffer.

Wasn't it a KSU AD who wrote a book admitting that at the formation of the b12 they proposed, voted on, and passed rules that would negatively affect NU on that very purpose because of the juggernaut they were at the time?

Kudos to that KSU AD for admitting that and coming clean. But, screw you guys, and every other big12 AD who voted for that, if that is true. Karma coming back round to some extent as far as I see it.

Big 12 had great potential. Too bad Nebraska was in the cross hairs of that league before the paint was dry on the league office walls.

We've had to watch college football get shittier and shittier for Nebraska since 1996. Sorry, not feeling sorry for you one bit wildcat.
i always try to be honest. the "let's be honest" phrase is one of the most incoherent in today's lexicon. are you often dishonest? good grief!

and this is not about my feelings. it's a discussion of what i and others believe will come with downsizing the game. none of us are sure one way or the other.

i'm not aware of any k-state a.d. writing a book. perhaps you meant jon wefald, a good friend, and past university president who is now diseased.

Reactions: huskerfan66

Man if you ever find the book let us know. Guess would be as easy as Google ad ksu book etc

i always try to be honest. the "let's be honest" phrase is one of the most incoherent in today's lexicon. are you often dishonest? good grief!

and this is not about my feelings. it's a discussion of what i and others believe will come with downsizing the game. none of us are sure one way or the other.

i'm not aware of any k-state a.d. writing a book. perhaps you meant jon wefald, a good friend, and past university president who is now diseased.
Maybe I am.

You know what, maybe you should be honest about suffering. That was what I was addressing. For you to say that I would suffer because k state is not anywhere near the game ticker anymore on the screen while watching my Huskers is dishonest. I could not care less. I suffer none.

So instead of attacking my use of "today's lexicon", maybe you should be honest and just say the k st football experience would suffer.

Man if you ever find the book let us know. Guess would be as easy as Google ad ksu book etc
Yeah TBH it was hearsay on a message board so I can't claim it as actual factual. But if I do, it'll be one of those things I save to my desk top to bring out when it conveniences me.

(edit) I found an article on it. Not sure I can post it here without getting kicked in the nuts. But I guess I'm about to find out:

So I'd like to know how the votes went in the Big 8...

Last edited:
Yeah TBH it was hearsay on a message board so I can't claim it as actual factual. But if I do, it'll be one of those things I save to my desk top to bring out when it conveniences me.
That's the way I remember how it all went down. A bunch of 11-1 votes. Old big 8 schools can't claim they weren't greedy. They bowed to Texas and sacrificed one of their own.

That's the way I remember how it all went down. A bunch of 11-1 votes. Old big 8 schools can't claim they weren't greedy. They bowed to Texas and sacrificed one of their own.
The main reason I will never understand the pining by some folks on this board for the "good ole day of the Big 12." The conference that hated Nebraska and actively worked to hurt the program for a number of years.

And then the BIG and SEC will tell the NCAA to pound sand when it come to football.

Get ready for a NFL style system with contracts, bargaining, for about 42 to 44 teams.

Nebraska is solidly one thanks to the BIG.
Call my Shot....WHOOOOOOO

The main reason I will never understand the pining by some folks on this board for the "good ole day of the Big 12." The conference that hated Nebraska and actively worked to hurt the program for a number of years.
Yeah and what kills me is that it wasn't about rules infractions to gain advantage like Oklahoma was caught doing. It was targeting Nebraska for things that were perfectly legal.

WTF?

Maybe I am.

You know what, maybe you should be honest about suffering. That was what I was addressing. For you to say that I would suffer because k state is not anywhere near the game ticker anymore on the screen while watching my Huskers is dishonest. I could not care less. I suffer none.

So instead of attacking my use of "today's lexicon", maybe you should be honest and just say the k st football experience would suffer.
periods and commas inside quotation marks regardless of logic. next?

that of course is not the choice if isu/ksu goes away. the choice - will their fans suddenly start watching osu/bama or better yet auburn/ucla?

i believe that's simply false logic. they won't. they'll go pheasant hunting. and college football will take on a new lower place in american sports culture from second today to who knows how low?

we love the game because it represents us, not them. auburn does not represent k-state, nor nebraska cu.
While I don’t disagree with your premise - but there are more eyeballs on marquee games. Fans of KSU will turn in to those games even if it’s not their team. So I think it does add eyeballs - it doesn’t mean their fan base turns on the Pride of Purple.

Now - a generation away - it would absolutely shift fan bases to the top tier of college. A KSU dad will have a hard time convincing his son that he should root for the home town boys over one of the top teams who get all the attention and stadiums and round the clock highlights.

So no immediate changes - but the next generation … absolutely.

when they say "college football playoff," i wonder exactly who that is, the cfp committee one would presume? but looking at its makeup, well, it's odd what flows from that group's think tank.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT