ADVERTISEMENT

Benning Says Nebraska Needs To Accept They Are A Developmental Program

I would say Iowa is our biggest "rival," as the day after Thanksgiving game has always been our big rivalry game. But could you actually ever see Nebraska sitting around talking about what an Iowa coach said at a PC 5 years ago or what an Admin said almost 10 years ago?

It's like they think our struggles legitimize them and make all their problems just go away. Sure their own players are suing them for abuse, discrimination, etc, but Nebraska's coach once said this at a PC. Sure they have never won anything of significance, but they own this Pig Trophy.
To be fair, your coaching staff is never around long enough to talk about what was said 5 years ago.

dude, you seem to get easily triggered.

Vent your years of anger and frustration not at Iowa, but rather Nebraska and all the reasons things have turned very pedestrian for many years now.

Iowa, and many other schools, are only guilty of taking full advantage of the depths NU has gone to.

Listen to what the podcast point is from Benning-- who, unlike you, is a former player in the program and has far more emotion in all this than do you from your couch.

I did listen to the podcast, thus my comments. I do not care about Iowa, that's why I am not on their message board obsessing about all things Iowa. But from this podcast, and from the continued obsession of Iowa fans like yourself, it is obvious Nebraska is on your mind 24/7.

Ah yes - if we fail, it’s because of nothing except for our own errors because we SHOULD beat everyone all the time!

Get with the times, geezers.
Daddy issues left and right in this thread from iowegians who’ve been cucked for a lifetime by Nebraska Football

you dullards hang on every second of Nebraska Football 24/7/365

get help! Cucked by the Huskers Anonymous is here for you!

Call (319) FUK-IOWA anytime, day or night. You are not alone!

Pretty weird, but alright
Grew up a fan of multiple teams in the Midwest and Texas (now I don’t like them). Learned to channel fandom towards seeing teams in the Midwest succeed nationally (typically was only Nebraska). Now most of my enjoyment just comes from occasional upsets (Kansas over Texas). ISU and Minnesota emerging has also been fun to watch. Maybe a weird perspective but it allows me not to care when teams I like lose, so that’s pretty nice.

Also a hot-take. B12 games are more fun to watch than B10 games. But I enjoy B10 game day atmospheres more.

I agree and I think our football program shares those beliefs. Iowa is lame. I'll throw in Purdue, Northwestern, and Minnesota. But yet, we play those teams every year and struggle against them. So what does that make us?

Our team went 1-8 last year in the conference. Everything that is great about our program was built many years ago. A little humility would be nice. We have individual players who have it but as a program we play like a program that doesn't respect their opponents. We don't do the little things that win games. We don't prepare well and it shows up almost every week.
Great. We suck but we don’t have Jeff Brohm or Gene Smith quotes pinned in our weight room

bird-popcorn.gif

Great. We suck but we don’t have Jeff Brohm or Gene Smith quotes pinned in our weight room
Both of those were true as of last year, but this is a new season. I don't care too much about pinned up quotes in the locker room, but if it fits a team should go ahead and do it.

Putting the time and score of the previous year's bowl game on the scoreboard for an entire off-season seemed to work pretty well. "Unfinished business". That's motivating. I'm all for motivation if it binds everyone together. But I'm not a big fan of the "us against the world" or "our coach has lost his smile" stuff.

Ferentz has had 3 top 8 finishes while at Iowa, another final 10 ranking, and two undefeated conference seasons and multiple New Year's Day bowl appearances.

Do you actually believe Frost or any other Nebraska coach will ever be able to say that?
Nobody will remember any top ten finishes. Bowl games ,yes.

So just how long to we have to be in "development" already? Seems like it's been decades.

Reactions: Yantzeee
Nebraska is not an elite program where top players flock to regularly because of on-field success(wins overwhelming over losses) and off-field success(NFL draft picks). We are a distant memory to anything of our past. Not including just the national championship years. We had so, so many top ten finishes. You have to have all the high school kids and the current college age men to ask their fathers of the Nebraska former success story.

We have facilities, fan support, funding and now potentially NIL. But that was mostly present in our dearth of success the last twenty years. Benning is speaking the truth which so many deny or lament regularly. It is what it is. Osborne especially developed at such a high level. The recruiting services, back in the day, put Nebraska in generally better positions yearly. Not unusual to be ranked in the top ten. But many years 11-15 from my recollection. A few years outside the top 15.

It was funny but after 1993 or 1994 we seemed to get more regular higher rankings. I remember some of my recruitnik friends conversations kind of laughing at this development. Winning big has ways of influencing recruiting services and prospects alike. We have to coach better, evaluate players better in recruiting and develop well like top programs do. Why is anyone surprised by these honest and real takes on the Nebraska program? We(most of us) all hope Frost becomes successful and another change is not necessary. I would hope to the point other top programs make a run at him. Right now, that is fantasy and reality is quite different. But Nebraska is the poorest of former and contemporary blue bloods based on the truest measure of success in college football: POPULATION. Always probably will be.

Last edited:
Nebraska is not an elite program where top players flock to regularly because of on-field success(wins overwhelming over losses) and off-field success(NFL draft picks). We are a distant memory to anything of our past. Not including just the national championship years. We had so, so many top ten finishes. You have to have all the high school kids and the current college age men to ask their fathers of the Nebraska former success story.

We have facilities, fan support, funding and now potentially NIL. But that was mostly present in our dearth of success the last twenty years. Benningtis speaking the truth which so many deny or lament regularly. It is what it is. Osborne especially developed at such a high level. The recruiting services, back in the day, put Nebraska in generally better positions yearly. Not unusual to be ranked in the top ten. But many years 11-15 from my recollection. A few years outside the top 15.

It was funny but after 1993 or 1994 we seemed to get more regular higher rankings. I remember some of my recruitnik friends conversations kind of laughing at this development. Winning big has ways of influencing recruiting services and prospects alike. We have to coach better, evaluate players better in recruiting and develop well like top programs do. Why is anyone surprised by these honest and real takes on the Nebraska program? We(most of us) all hope Frost becomes successful and another change is not necessary. I would hope to the point other top programs make a run at him. Right now, that is fantasy and reality is quite different. But Nebraska is the poorest of former and contemporary blue bloods based on the truest measure of success in college football: POPULATION. Always probably will be.
So what I glean from your post is that you are ok being a 8-10 win team for perpetuity? Iowa and Wisconsin basically follow the Osborne methodology prior to early to mid 90's, recruit locally, develop the lines and beat the teams you should beat

Don't you find it a strange that "we seemed to get more regular higher rankings" coincided with the championships? Perhaps it was because we did get higher rated kids and they made the difference in 9 wins and 12 wins.

Lastly, the 70's and 80's Osborne methodology will get you similar results in the current day, perhaps a little below.

So if Nebraska wants to be a "developmental team" the ceiling will be Big Ten west division titles. Woo Hoo.

Why? Nebraska clearly hasn't measured up to it in quite a few years. Come to think of it, you're right, it was a mistake. Start with attainable goals.
The fact that Frost has fielded some of the worst Nebraska teams in modern history and yet has lost 4 games to Iowa by an average margin <5 points indicates that the level Iowa is at is an attainable goal. For anyone. Iowa has a nice program, I'm a Ferentz admirer. But no one goes to sleep at night wishing they could be as successful as Iowa. Meh.

Ferentz has had 3 top 8 finishes while at Iowa, another final 10 ranking, and two undefeated conference seasons and multiple New Year's Day bowl appearances.

Do you actually believe Frost or any other Nebraska coach will ever be able to say that?
this might be the most pathetic post I have ever seen on the internet

you're proud of this? what's it been, 30 years? 'undefeated conference seasons' before a title game even existed on the very short list of accomplishments?

lol wow. all the raging jealousy & daddy issues make perfect sense. I had no clue it was that bad.

we have what iowegians never will: 5 national titles and a full set of teeth

this might be the most pathetic post I have ever seen on the internet

you're proud of this? what's it been, 30 years? 'undefeated conference seasons' before a title game even existed on the very short list of accomplishments?

lol wow. all the raging jealousy & daddy issues make perfect sense. I had no clue it was that bad.

we have what iowegians never will: 5 national titles and a full set of teeth
😉👌

That doesn't change the fact that Iowa is using decade old quotes as motivation does it? Which I believe is the discussion.
No, note my original post. Not one thing was mentioned about Iowa.

The main discussion point was:

1. Nebraska needs to understand they are a developmental program....per Benning.

Translation: It's simple. When you think you are something you aren't, you forever wallow in mediocrity and disappoint your fan base greatly.

Listen to the pod cast. Iowa is clearly doing this with Nebraska. Obsession to say the least.
Apparently it's working. 7 straight, 8 of the last 9, overall and conference records superior for Iowa for the past 20+ years. those are just facts. Not ego, not debate, not conjecture......just bottom line undisputed facts.

Damon Benning played the game for NU, he's got more invested in the program than your fandom ever will. Understand what he's trying to say here; his frustration, and how he basically analyzes why there's a difference between the two programs.

Last edited:
Apparently it's working. 7 straight, 8 of the last 9, overall and conference records superior for Iowa for the past 20+ years. those are just facts. Not ego, not debate, not conjecture......just bottom line undisputed facts.
Great job. You've claimed victory over the worst Nebraska teams of all time. Tell me again what else you have done? No need to reply. Nothing. You have zero titles and have only made it to 1 more Big 10 Title game than a very mediocre current Nebraska program has. End result, same as us. Zero ****in titles. You guys are probably still mad at Colin Cowherd as well for calling you the fake ID of CFB. Maybe you should hang him up as well.

Great job. You've claimed victory over the worst Nebraska teams of all time. Tell me again what else you have done? No need to reply. Nothing. You have zero titles and have only made it to 1 more Big 10 Title game than a very mediocre current Nebraska program has. End result, same as us. Zero ****in titles. You guys are probably still mad at Colin Cowherd as well for calling you the fake ID of CFB. Maybe you should hang him up as well.
In the end, replies here substantiate the fact NU fanatics struggle greatly with what Iowa has achieved for the past 20 years vs. NU. Not 2 months or 2 years...........20 years running now overall. in Iowa, the NU fan base has become the Iowa State fan base as to their venom vs. Iowa. Good job!

In the end, replies here substantiate the fact NU fanatics struggle greatly with what Iowa has achieved for the past 20 years vs. NU. Not 2 months or 2 years...........20 years running now overall. in Iowa, the NU fan base has become the Iowa State fan base as to their venom vs. Iowa. Good job!
We don't give a **** of what Iowa has done. The only teams we are jealous of are MSU, Wisconsin, OSU and Michigan. They've actually won something, Iowa has not. We were Iowa under Bo Pelini. Win 8-9 games and 0 titles. No one wants that. Most teams would strive to achieve something.

Just another delusional Iowa cuck fan. The jealousy of our heritage runs deep.

Just because Benning is a former player doesn't mean he knows more than us in regards to the business that is Nebraska football (yes, we view it as big business, unlike trash Iowa football as a mere sport).

Good grief get over yourselves and stick to your own board. I know it's boring over there like your football brand is, but at least own it ffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT