ADVERTISEMENT

Benning Says Nebraska Needs To Accept They Are A Developmental Program

All I learned from that is that Iowa is completely obsessed with Nebraska. Misquoting a press conference from 5 years ago on a recruiting trip? Pictures of Nebraska in their weight room? What a sad obsession, from a sad program.

Unfortunately it seems to be working for them when it comes to head to head matchups against Nebraska. :(

All I learned from that is that Iowa is completely obsessed with Nebraska. Misquoting a press conference from 5 years ago on a recruiting trip? Pictures of Nebraska in their weight room? What a sad obsession, from a sad program.
I don't disagree with you on Iowa, but what pictures does Nebraska have up in it's weight room? Who is our rival in the non-bowl bid era?

Reactions: bojihawk
I don't disagree with you on Iowa, but what pictures does Nebraska have up in it's weight room? Who is our rival in the non-bowl bid era?

I would say Iowa is our biggest "rival," as the day after Thanksgiving game has always been our big rivalry game. But could you actually ever see Nebraska sitting around talking about what an Iowa coach said at a PC 5 years ago or what an Admin said almost 10 years ago?

It's like they think our struggles legitimize them and make all their problems just go away. Sure their own players are suing them for abuse, discrimination, etc, but Nebraska's coach once said this at a PC. Sure they have never won anything of significance, but they own this Pig Trophy.

I would say Iowa is our biggest "rival," as the day after Thanksgiving game has always been our big rivalry game. But could you actually ever see Nebraska sitting around talking about what an Iowa coach said at a PC 5 years ago or what an Admin said almost 10 years ago?

It's like they think our struggles legitimize them and make all their problems just go away. Sure their own players are suing them for abuse, discrimination, etc, but Nebraska's coach once said this at a PC. Sure they have never won anything of significance, but they own this Pig Trophy.
I thought the pig trophy was against Minnesota Laughing

Iowa has stood quite well on their own for the past 20+ years under Ferentz and did most of Fry's 20-year tenure too.

The biggest take-a-way here are two things:

1) Benning is quite envious of a program that he sees clearly has a much clearer vision than does his own alma mater and that really bothers him- and that translates to on-the-field success.

2) Nebraska still wants to believe they are a top tier program when they aren't. Benning was emphatic that Nebraska needs to embrace who they are-- and in his words, they are just like Iowa and most schools-- a developmental program.

Sadly Nebraska has been an after thought for Iowa on the field having won the last 7 straight. Whatever methods and means necessary to win and clearly Iowa has had the huge edge over Nebraska.

Last edited:
Iowa has stood quite well on their own for the past 20+ years under Ferentz and did most of Fry's 20-year tenure too.

The biggest take-a-way here are two things:

1) Benning is quite envious of a program that he sees clearly has a much clearer vision than does his own alma mater and that really bothers him- and that translates to on-the-field success.

2) Nebraska still wants to believe they are a top tier program when they aren't. Benning was emphatic that Nebraska needs to embrace who they are-- and in his words, they are just like Iowa and most schools-- a developmental program.

Sadly Nebraska has been an after thought for Iowa on the field having won the last 7 straight. Whatever methods and means necessary to win and clearly Iowa has had the huge edge over Nebraska.

If those are your takeaways, you really do only hear what you want to. Envious of Iowa? LOL, the guy has seen CFB at the highest level, nothing about what Iowa is doing is impressive to anyone other than Iowa fans (and Yes we all know Nebraska has been bad, but that doesn't change anything no matter how much you wish it did).

Also, this whole "developmental program" stuff is hilarious. Like you can't recruit good players and also develop. You are only allowed to develop players if your recruiting sucks. Yes, that is the master plan behind Iowa's poor recruiting.

Iowa hasn’t done jack under Ferentz, however Frost already has more losing regular seasons in 4 years than Ferentz has in his entire time as head coach of Iowa. If Frost’s career mirrors Ferentz’s going forward we will have found our forever coach and the majority of Husker fans will declare it good enough

You can go back all the way when Eichorst fired Pelini and saying “ I had to evaluate where Iowa was as a program” You can bet that still were the fighting words for Ioway Coaching staff and fans and that still remains in their craw…
Do you really think coaches sit around all day, keep a list and refer to it often about what others say about their program? It's a false narrative of motivation.

Reactions: anon_umk0ifu6vj6zi
Steve Pedersen had a big ego and wanted to re-invent Nebraska. He was the reason Solich was fired and set our program back at least 5 years.
Solich is the reason Solich was fired and he was setting our program back all on his own. How Pederson handled the replacing of Solich exacerbated the downfall, but make no mistake, Solich had peaked.

Solich is the reason Solich was fired and he was setting our program back all on his own. How Pederson handled the replacing of Solich exacerbated the downfall, but make no mistake, Solich had peaked.
Overall trajectory of the program was a concern. But Frank was still winning at a very good clip and Pederson clearly had no plan past firing Solich. Rinse and repeat several years later with Pelini. Bo wins another nine in 2015 with Tommy at QB.

I love how ‘fans’ never look into their so-called ‘rivals’ history. And your first point, yeah, I could never imagine a program recalling and reliving anything from 20 years ago…

You can go back all the way when Eichorst fired Pelini and saying “ I had to evaluate where Iowa was as a program” You can bet that still were the fighting words for Ioway Coaching staff and fans and that still remains in their craw…
That just proves how pathetic and stupid they are.

Eichorst is a Wisconsin a##$+#- who isn't even here anymore. Nobody hates him more than we do.

Iowa cannot recruit nationally or the portal like we can (and we have sucked the past 5 years). Kirk has done a great job over his long tenure in knowing what will work for Iowa.

The state of Iowa has also produced some very good players over the past 5 years. There were 7 4* kids in 21' class and Iowa there were 3 top 100 kids nationally from the state of Iowa in the 22' class. They also have signed the #6 overall OT from the state of IA as well for next year.

We will never recruit like SEC teams or Ohio St but I think nationally we will get back to that next tier. Just gotta start winning games.

This is all bullshit. Fun debate, but BS nonetheless. A. Terrible offensive and special teams coaching, and B. Einhorn at QB are the reasons we suck under Frost. We could have had Belichick and Parcells "developing" our roster and they couldn't win with Frost calling the plays, Martinez running the offense and apparently no one coaching special teams. We didn't get beaten by Illinois, Mich St, Purdue and Minnesota last year because they're better at development. They beat us because Frost called dumb plays and Martinez coughed up his nuts every time the game was on the line. Ferentz may be good at taking lightly recruited players and getting them ready to play, but he also is smart at not beating himself and going with QB's that don't throw grenades into their own huddle twice a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT