ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola will need to sit before he plays

GBRforLife1

Head Coach
Feb 18, 2020
According to the genius in this article

The final high school rankings of the 2024 cycle were released over the past couple of days, and to the surprise of many, there was a new quarterback that claimed the top spot.

After being viewed as the best quarterback recruit since last April, five-star Nebraska signee Dylan Raiola was bumped down a couple of spots. The recruit that ended up taking his top spot was five-star Florida signee DJ Lagway, who was recently named MaxPreps National Player of the Year. During his senior season, Lagway threw for 4,604 yards and 58 touchdowns to just eight interceptions for Willis High School (Texas) this past season. He also showcased an ability to dominate with his legs, adding 957 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

247Sports' national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins likens Lagway's skillset to former Gator Anthony Richardson, and cited his ability to always find ways to move the ball down the field as the biggest reason why he surpassed Raiola and everyone else.

“Lagway has the highest ceiling of these quarterbacks,” national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins explained to Grant Hughes. “He needs to keep improving as a passer. But his ability to create chunk plays with his legs and get the ball down the field separates him from the rest of the field. NFL shots drooled over Anthony Richardson, and we compared him to Richardson. If it all comes together, you’re going to hear his name called early in the NFL Draft.”

As for Raiola, 247Sports' Cooper Petagna revealed that the future Cornhusker star lacked continuity and will likely need to sit before he can play.

VideoBlue.svg
Related video: Big Recruiting Win For Nebraska (CMC Sports)

was able to flip five star quarterback Dylan Rayola from
Loaded: 100.00%

Pause
Current Time 0:06
/
Duration 0:27

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Big Recruiting Win For Nebraska
Unmute
View on WatchView on Watch

“Raiola is the best pure passer in this class, that’s safe to say,” Petagna told Hughes. “He was at four different programs in four years. He needs some continuity. He’s going to have to sit for a year as well. That’s going to benefit him. I love that fit with him in Nebraska and Matt Rhule... We are still big fans of Raiola and his NFL-caliber arm. But Lagway represents a captivating dual-threat option with ready-to-play size that seems to just be scratching the surface of his potential."

Lagway will have to unseat veteran quarterback Graham Mertz who is returning in 2024, but cleary there is an expectation that he can push for the top spot in a make-or-break year for Billy Napier. As for Raiola, he may actually have a clearer path to the field due to how many issues Nebraska had at quarterback last season.

Here is how 247Sports ranked the top five quarterbacks when it was all said and done.

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

2. Dylan Raiola (Nebraska)

3. Julian Sayin (Ohio State Transfer)

4. Luke Kromenhoek (Florida State)

5. Walker White (Auburn)

The final high school rankings of the 2024 cycle were released over the past couple of days, and to the surprise of many, there was a new quarterback that claimed the top spot.

After being viewed as the best quarterback recruit since last April, five-star Nebraska signee Dylan Raiola was bumped down a couple of spots. The recruit that ended up taking his top spot was five-star Florida signee DJ Lagway, who was recently named MaxPreps National Player of the Year. During his senior season, Lagway threw for 4,604 yards and 58 touchdowns to just eight interceptions for Willis High School (Texas) this past season. He also showcased an ability to dominate with his legs, adding 957 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

247Sports' national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins likens Lagway's skillset to former Gator Anthony Richardson, and cited his ability to always find ways to move the ball down the field as the biggest reason why he surpassed Raiola and everyone else.

“Lagway has the highest ceiling of these quarterbacks,” national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins explained to Grant Hughes. “He needs to keep improving as a passer. But his ability to create chunk plays with his legs and get the ball down the field separates him from the rest of the field. NFL shots drooled over Anthony Richardson, and we compared him to Richardson. If it all comes together, you’re going to hear his name called early in the NFL Draft.”

As for Raiola, 247Sports' Cooper Petagna revealed that the future Cornhusker star lacked continuity and will likely need to sit before he can play.

VideoBlue.svg

Pause
/

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Unmute

“Raiola is the best pure passer in this class, that’s safe to say,” Petagna told Hughes. “He was at four different programs in four years. He needs some continuity. He’s going to have to sit for a year as well. That’s going to benefit him. I love that fit with him in Nebraska and Matt Rhule... We are still big fans of Raiola and his NFL-caliber arm. But Lagway represents a captivating dual-threat option with ready-to-play size that seems to just be scratching the surface of his potential."

Lagway will have to unseat veteran quarterback Graham Mertz who is returning in 2024, but cleary there is an expectation that he can push for the top spot in a make-or-break year for Billy Napier. As for Raiola, he may actually have a clearer path to the field due to how many issues Nebraska had at quarterback last season.

Here is how 247Sports ranked the top five quarterbacks when it was all said and done.

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

5. Walker White (Auburn)
Did Adrian Martinez sit as a true freshman?
DR will start, and with his arm strength and accuracy (in and outside the pocket) will be the best freshman QB in the country.

I think the key point is two fold. Raiola has been jumping programs and needs to settle into a system (not sure if that matters that much, but could be).... and for me I can see where Lagaway's mobility gives him a leg up on being a freshman starter. Things will move much quicker for both qb's then they are use to. Having the ability to tuck and run at times is an advantage. One that Raiola will be lacking in comparatively speaking.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

VideoBlue.svg

Pause
/

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Unmute

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

5. Walker White (Auburn)
Excellent news. He was sitting by John Cook at the basketball game.

So he has sat. Now it's time for him to play.

Ehh Article seemed fine to me. Most would expect DR to take the reins for game one but time will tell. Glad he’s Husker period.

I think the key point is two fold. Raiola has been jumping programs and needs to settle into a system (not sure if that matters that much, but could be).... and for me I can see where Lagaway's mobility gives him a leg up on being a freshman starter. Things will move much quicker for both qb's then they are use to. Having the ability to tuck and run at times is an advantage. One that Raiola will be lacking in comparatively speaking.
Don’t think this is a big deal either way. Tommie didn’t start for a few games his first year. He turned out ok.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

VideoBlue.svg

Pause
/

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Unmute

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

5. Walker White (Auburn)
So basically this guy prefers dual threat qb's over pro style. Just for the record, Lagway is ranked as the number 28 overall in Rivals. Lagway has not had the professional instruction that Raiola has and I value his instruction far more than a dual threat QB who will have to learn the finer elements of playing college ball on the fly. To each their own as they say.

I don’t give a shit about the other kid and I assume that with spring ball and summer work DR will be ready to play UTEP. Obviously, he will have to compete for the job but I really don’t think there’s anybody in the room that is going to outcompete him.

Wasn't he originally an Ohio State commit for '23? Or was it that he was going to be an early enrollee before he changed his commitment twice? For some reason I thought he was ranked just below Arch Manning. As far as recruiting stars, 247, ON3, Rivals, PFF, and SpongeBob SquarePants all have these guys as 4 or 5 stars.

To me it's a toss up till we see live action. A fine line, and then you have pro style, and duel threat ratings.

Isn't the fallback on this and many other boards - it is an opinion board? The guy has an opinion but it seems to not settle well with others. So what, all that matters is the play on the field. It's not like Nebraska has lots of options. I guess there are two ways to look at this - throw the freshman into the fire and let him take his lumps, physical and emotional or you find someone who can take over for the first year or part of it and get the others ready. Like was said above, what options do we have?

No problem thinking a top flight dual threat is ranked higher.
But what does he mean that Dylan has to sit? What does that mean?
And continuity? Or is it adaptability? He's been very successful where ever he's played.

It's all about how much work DR is willing to put in each and every day. I believe he is that type of player. That goes for the rest of the team as well. They all have to be fully committed to football 100% of the time to make a huge jump this year. I hope they all take this off-season seriously and transform into the team we have wanted to see since Suh was here.

Yeah right Raiola will need to sit a year and the two nice transfer WR's we just got are going to be just fine with Haarberg being their QB. I really shouldn't be too upset with this article because what has this analyst done personally to train and work with QB's who will play college football and beyond. It's about clicks and he knows it.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

VideoBlue.svg

Pause
/

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Unmute

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

5. Walker White (Auburn)
He will start game 1 whether he is ready or not. IMO.

Don't worry yourselves fellas I'm sure there will be healthy competition in spring ball and if he wins out, Rhule will let Sims will play.

• Haha
Reactions: V-Doub
It's all about how much work DR is willing to put in each and every day. I believe he is that type of player. That goes for the rest of the team as well. They all have to be fully committed to football 100% of the time to make a huge jump this year. I hope they all take this off-season seriously and transform into the team we have wanted to see since Suh was here.
There’s still no substitute for game experience.

Reactions: itseasyas1-2-3
I'm saying if AM started as a freshman, there's no reason DR shouldn't also.
Yep and look how great his career turned out. 20-27 as a starter including 2021 where he went 3-8 and all 8 of those losses were winnable. Maybe just maybe if he takes a year to develop more mentality we go like 12-0 or 11-1 that year. Yes AM made a lot of mistakes. Yes, he cost us games.

DR should start if he he’s ready, sit if he isn’t. It should not be forced. I’d rather suck next year and be great the next 3 then have a Dylan who keeps making mental mistakes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT