ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola will need to sit before he plays

I find it funny that a lot the same people on this board that say Matt needs 3 to 4 years to turn it around here are the same people that believe, no matter what, Dylan needs to be starter year 1. Like can the kid be given an opportunity for us to be ok if he’s not Patrick Mahomes right now (a guy who himsef needed 1 year in the NFL to sit).

We kill these kids with hype. Been on this board way too long to not say it doesn’t happen over and over again. Man, if Dylan is ready out the gate, let him have the start. But if he’s still a little raw and needs to be developed a little, then get him ready for the future. most need time to learn. Even the great ones. I’d rather him be able to turn into something great for 25-28 and us suck in 24, then have a Dylan turn out to be Jacob Eason.

I have no doubt he will show up the most taleneted. That doesn’t mean he should play immediately. Not if the greater good for him and the program is a year of learning

Last edited:
I find it funny that a lot the same people on this board that say Matt needs 3 to 4 years to turn it around here are the same people that believe, no matter what, Dylan needs to be starter year 1. Like can the kid be given an opportunity for us to be ok if he’s not Patrick Mahomes right now (a guy who himsef needed 1 year in the NFL to sit).

We kill these kids with hype. Been on this board way too long to not say it doesn’t happen over and over again. Man, if Dylan is ready out the gate, let him have the start. But if he’s still a little raw and needs to be developed a little, then get him ready for the future. most need time to learn. Even the great ones. I’d rather him be able to turn into something great for 25-28 and us suck in 24, then have a Dylan turn out to be Jacob Eason.

I have no doubt he will show up the most taleneted. That doesn’t mean he should play immediately. Not if the greater good for him and the program is a year of learning
Mahomes didn't "need" a year.

He won't admit it, but CJ Stroud shows he could have played right away and been fine.

Wasn't he originally an Ohio State commit for '23? Or was it that he was going to be an early enrollee before he changed his commitment twice? For some reason I thought he was ranked just below Arch Manning. As far as recruiting stars, 247, ON3, Rivals, PFF, and SpongeBob SquarePants all have these guys as 4 or 5 stars.

To me it's a toss up till we see live action. A fine line, and then you have pro style, and duel threat ratings.
no

did you happen to see our QBs last year? Do you see who is left?

Most of the people saying he should start next year are saying this because we have no one else. It’s really that simple. If he also lights it up, so much better.

But the people saying he should start are saying that because the alternative is HH.

did you happen to see our QBs last year? Do you see who is left?

Most of the people saying he should start next year are saying this because we have no one else. It’s really that simple. If he also lights it up, so much better.

But the people saying he should start are saying that because the alternative is HH.
^^^This^^^
It would be fantastic if we had the luxury of a good veteran QB on our roster so that we could give Dylan a year or so. But we don’t. We do not have a veteran QB on our roster. We have HH, but he is a tight end masquerading as a QB. Dylan will start. Kaelin should play some too. We can’t forget about him. He has talent. HH can ride pine unless injuries force him to start.

Nothing to do with need. It's common sense and the situation DR is in. Anyone who watched every Husker game last season and thinks DR is unlikely to start is either crazy or lying to themselves.

I keep it saying it. You can't install a HH offense and a DR offense. And HH can't run a DR offense. HH averaged 13 carries a game. You can't run that offense with DR.

People act like it's a big deal for a true freshman to start. It's not. These kids play such high level football and do high level training. This isn't the 1950's.

Nothing to do with need. It's common sense and the situation DR is in. Anyone who watched every Husker game last season and thinks DR is unlikely to start is either crazy or lying to themselves.

I keep it saying it. You can't install a HH offense and a DR offense. And HH can't run a DR offense. HH averaged 13 carries a game. You can't run that offense with DR.

People act like it's a big deal for a true freshman to start. It's not. These kids play such high level football and do high level training. This isn't the 1950's.
Someone mentioned above that Adrian Martinez started as a true freshman. And his freshman year was actually probably the best year of his entire career! There have been other freshman QB's around the country who have started as well. It is just a damn no-brainer in this case. So for the galactically stupid who still don't get it: We do not have a veteran QB on our roster who is worth a shit. We have two very good freshman QB's. They are our future. We did not get a transfer QB for a reason in my opinion. And the reason is that the coaches know that these two Freshmen are both studs and that they are the future and they will be the QB's this Fall. Period.

Why we comparing Frazier Freshman year to Raiola‘s?

One thing Nebraska was coming off winning the conference and started the season ranked 11th in the country.
I know Mike Grant wasn’t one of the better QB‘s Osborne had during his era but he was a Senior who knew the system playing behind Keithen McCant in 1991.

Rhule doesn’t have that luxury and has the one of the top two QB in the country coming in with a team that went 5-7 and missed a bowl game..

And HH isn’t the answer to start the season regardless if he started a hand full of games last season..

^^^This^^^
It would be fantastic if we had the luxury of a good veteran QB on our roster so that we could give Dylan a year or so. But we don’t. We do not have a veteran QB on our roster. We have HH, but he is a tight end masquerading as a QB. Dylan will start. Kaelin should play some too. We can’t forget about him. He has talent. HH can ride pine unless injuries force him to start.
It would be in Kaelin’s best interest to be able to redshirt. IF things go to plan, Raiola will be off to the NFL after 3 years. He has that much arm talent.

Someone mentioned above that Adrian Martinez started as a true freshman. And his freshman year was actually probably the best year of his entire career! There have been other freshman QB's around the country who have started as well. It is just a damn no-brainer in this case. So for the galactically stupid who still don't get it: We do not have a veteran QB on our roster who is worth a shit. We have two very good freshman QB's. They are our future. We did not get a transfer QB for a reason in my opinion. And the reason is that the coaches know that these two Freshmen are both studs and that they are the future and they will be the QB's this Fall. Period.
Agree. 2 of the 3 qbs aren't runners. HH isn't a dropback passer. So it would be strange to install a passing offense designed for a passing qb and trot HH out for UTEP and CU. And then we start 0-2 or 1-1 and magically DR is ready game 3? Highly unlikely. Nothing gained from that scenario.

Or we design a run your qb to death offense from last year for HH, start him, and that somehow magically prepares DR?

People are way, way overthinking this. Only 2 ways DR isn't starting game 1: if he is or has been hurt. Or if he is the biggest bust in CFB history. 2 is damn near 100% not going to happen.

Rhule is going to evolve an offense around the two young QBs. If Haarberg wants to play, he will have to gain competence running that offense. To be fair to him, his first year was a RS and I don't know what his level of access to training in Frost's offense was. His second year he had a QB coach, but that QB coach ghosted him. It's not clear he would have played much this year had Purdy been healthier in fall camp. HH was the healthy one of the two when Sim ganked his ankle/wasn't working out. So he was asked to do a lot during a Year 1 of a rebuild and was able to win some games.
If Haarberg were to gain some mastery of the passing part of an offense, he could serve as a wild card of a backup. He becomes a wildcat QB option with the ability to complete passes downfield.

Haarberg will be a nice insurance piece if needed but I just don't see Haarberg trotting out first game as the starter for the Huskers. Haarberg will be inserted into the offense just not the starting QB, he may see some wildcat work in the red zone when needed. One last thing about Haarberg, this will be the first time he will get some needed work with a true QB coach and that's a solid plus for the team and Haarberg.

According to the genius in this article

The final high school rankings of the 2024 cycle were released over the past couple of days, and to the surprise of many, there was a new quarterback that claimed the top spot.

After being viewed as the best quarterback recruit since last April, five-star Nebraska signee Dylan Raiola was bumped down a couple of spots. The recruit that ended up taking his top spot was five-star Florida signee DJ Lagway, who was recently named MaxPreps National Player of the Year. During his senior season, Lagway threw for 4,604 yards and 58 touchdowns to just eight interceptions for Willis High School (Texas) this past season. He also showcased an ability to dominate with his legs, adding 957 rushing yards and 16 touchdowns.

New Customer Offer
Ad
Mint Mobile
th

247Sports' national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins likens Lagway's skillset to former Gator Anthony Richardson, and cited his ability to always find ways to move the ball down the field as the biggest reason why he surpassed Raiola and everyone else.

“Lagway has the highest ceiling of these quarterbacks,” national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins explained to Grant Hughes. “He needs to keep improving as a passer. But his ability to create chunk plays with his legs and get the ball down the field separates him from the rest of the field. NFL shots drooled over Anthony Richardson, and we compared him to Richardson. If it all comes together, you’re going to hear his name called early in the NFL Draft.”

As for Raiola, 247Sports' Cooper Petagna revealed that the future Cornhusker star lacked continuity and will likely need to sit before he can play.

VideoBlue.svg
Related video: Big Recruiting Win For Nebraska (CMC Sports)

was able to flip five star quarterback Dylan Rayola from
Loaded: 100.00%

Pause
Current Time 0:06
/
Duration 0:27

Captions
Fullscreen

AA1bgjK6.img
CMC Sports
Big Recruiting Win For Nebraska
Unmute
View on WatchView on Watch

“Raiola is the best pure passer in this class, that’s safe to say,” Petagna told Hughes. “He was at four different programs in four years. He needs some continuity. He’s going to have to sit for a year as well. That’s going to benefit him. I love that fit with him in Nebraska and Matt Rhule... We are still big fans of Raiola and his NFL-caliber arm. But Lagway represents a captivating dual-threat option with ready-to-play size that seems to just be scratching the surface of his potential."

Lagway will have to unseat veteran quarterback Graham Mertz who is returning in 2024, but cleary there is an expectation that he can push for the top spot in a make-or-break year for Billy Napier. As for Raiola, he may actually have a clearer path to the field due to how many issues Nebraska had at quarterback last season.

Here is how 247Sports ranked the top five quarterbacks when it was all said and done.

1. DJ Lagway (Florida)

2. Dylan Raiola (Nebraska)

3. Julian Sayin (Ohio State Transfer)

4. Luke Kromenhoek (Florida State)

5. Walker White (Auburn)

I'm not sure I'm following the logic in this article.

QB #1 had great success in a single system in high school, and lit it up his senior year (4604 yd / 58 td /8 int). That = ready to play as a true college freshman.

QB #2 had great success in 3 systems in high school, and lit it up his senior year (2666 yd / 34 td / 1 int ). That = needs to sit to get continuity as a true college freshman.

Maybe Raiola needs to sit to mature. But I'm not understanding how "needs continuity" has anything to do with it. He's been successful in 3 different systems.

I think I will take Glenn Thomas's assessment's of our QB room more than 247Sports' national recruiting analyst Andrew Ivins. Nice try Andrew but you are no QB coach or anything like it, you guess and it's what writers like you do for a living. This spring is going to be fun to watch our offense evolve from nothing to something and continue to move the needle forward towards the start of the season.

It's amazing the job Matt Rhule has done with this team and staff. We've gone from a cigar smoking 60's free spirit QB coach to a proven QB coach with actual experience working with QB's. As I look back how embarrassing was it that a former HC who I will not speak of actually hired a QB coach who really didn't know how to work with his group.

I'm not sure I'm following the logic in this article.

QB #1 had great success in a single system in high school, and lit it up his senior year (4604 yd / 58 td /8 int). That = ready to play as a true college freshman.

QB #2 had great success in 3 systems in high school, and lit it up his senior year (2666 yd / 34 td / 1 int ). That = needs to sit to get continuity as a true college freshman.

Maybe Raiola needs to sit to mature. But I'm not understanding how "needs continuity" has anything to do with it. He's been successful in 3 different systems.
The reason you can't follow the logic is because there isn't any.

Reactions: Hoboken Joe
Did Adrian Martinez sit as a true freshman?
DR will start, and with his arm strength and accuracy (in and outside the pocket) will be the best freshman QB in the country.
The best QBs we have on the roster are true freshman. That's a little unsettling but I really don't see either redshirting at this point. Had we a veteran transfer Kaelin could have ben RS. But now we need both to be ready early.

Rhule is going to evolve an offense around the two young QBs. If Haarberg wants to play, he will have to gain competence running that offense. To be fair to him, his first year was a RS and I don't know what his level of access to training in Frost's offense was. His second year he had a QB coach, but that QB coach ghosted him. It's not clear he would have played much this year had Purdy been healthier in fall camp. HH was the healthy one of the two when Sim ganked his ankle/wasn't working out. So he was asked to do a lot during a Year 1 of a rebuild and was able to win some games.
If Haarberg were to gain some mastery of the passing part of an offense, he could serve as a wild card of a backup. He becomes a wildcat QB option with the ability to complete passes downfield.
It’s really not that tough to leav some QB run in the playbook. I guarantee you that Raiola will know how to run read options.

Does anyone truly know what DR running abilities are? I saw a couple highlights where he scrambled a few times... not saying he'll be a dual threat but perhaps there's more there than we think?

Reactions: Huskers123456
Does anyone truly know what DR running abilities are? I saw a couple highlights where he scrambled a few times... not saying he'll be a dual threat but perhaps there's more there than we think?
I thought the same thing. I think he will have some scrambling ability and ability to avoid pressure. More Aaron Rodgers than Peyton Manning.

Reactions: BleedRed78
The best QBs we have on the roster are true freshman. That's a little unsettling but I really don't see either redshirting at this point. Had we a veteran transfer Kaelin could have ben RS. But now we need both to be ready early.
As it should be since NU is in a 8th or 9th year rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Did Adrian Martinez sit as a true freshman?
DR will start, and with his arm strength and accuracy (in and outside the pocket) will be the best freshman QB in the country.

Not only did 2am start but that was his best year. Harry Potter coached him backwards after that.

Reactions: Laner2
I think you meant one year rebuild...
2017 - Smilin' Mike de-build
2018-22 - Frost fails mulitiple shots at a re-build.
2023-24- Rhule (and Tony) flip the script of defensive play, but a busted roster limits offensive productivity against the top of the league. Rhule then signs a pretty sweet class and gets some quality players out of the portal.
Feels different this time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT