ADVERTISEMENT

Xavier Johnson released for his LOI

I don't know what happened with the basketball situation. I don't know if Moos had a list of guys he wanted and they all told him no so he decided to let Miles go out there again next year. He or someone had to know Hunter would probably leave if something better came along. And they always come along. Miles doesn't keep assistants. Pretty sure Moos came in to fix football and I'd like to think that going forward he'll fix the other sports that need fixing. I don't believe Miles should have been retained without a decent extension. Who wants to play for and coach with a guy who might be out in a year? I'll agree that Moos has to share blame for the basketball situation. We could be looking at a team next year that loses 2 of it's best players and lost it's best recruit and recruiter. And we don't even know what the rest of the offseason holds. It's tough to see a bright outlook for Nebrasketball. And to go along with that, I'm interested to see if he touches baseball. I know injuries are hitting this team but man something there needs to change as well.

The Huskers Might as well bite the bullet and show Miles the door. It's obvious kids were coming to play for Hunter. It is way past time to move on.

Reactions: sparky62
Good grief our athletic department is a dumpster fire right now. For the amount of money that is spent on athletics here, our ROI doesn't look very good. Volleyball is pretty much the only good major sport right now. Moos deserves some blame for how this basketball situation has played out. Either give Miles what he wants or can him. It's that simple and the cost of doing business.
LOL

I am not a Miles fan but this combo guard (he is not a point guard) is not even ranked in the top 200...anything after 150 is dicey.

Moos has been at NU for 6 months, and already people are calling for him to be fired.

Calm down, everyone.
Geezus. Nobody is calling for Moos to be fired. He does deserve some criticism for how he's handling the basketball situation though.

Copeland is a 23 year old with a college degree.

His draft stock has reached its peak and is on the downhill side. Playing another year does absolutely nothing for his professional basketball situation. He is either going overseas, to the G League or an undrafted Free Agent. That will be the same in 2019.

Palmer may be able to help his situation. I don’t think he gets drafted in 2018 or 2019 but he may have a good shot as an UFA. If he gets his degree in May, I am not sure I would come back.

Roby needs to come back. His body needs more work as does his outside game.

Perhaps Moos has only offered Miles a short extension because he feels that's what Miles has earned? If that's Moos's logic, it's hard to argue with. If Moos is simply not a believer in the Lee Barfknecht-endorsed college coaches golden parachute plan, more power to him.

It's amusing to watch college basketball evolve into a sport in which transfers, one-and-doners and early departures are the order of the day, but coaches (and boot-licking toadies like Barfknecht) still claim you just gotta give automatic rollover extensions, or coaches won't be able to recruit. Moos's approach seems reasonable to me, and if Miles doesn't like it he can explore other options. It's not like being under contract ever stopped a coach from seeking a better job - at least not in this era.

Perhaps Moos has only offered Miles a short extension because he feels that's what Miles has earned? If that's Moos's logic, it's hard to argue with. If Moos is simply not a believer in the Lee Barfknecht-endorsed college coaches golden parachute plan, more power to him.

It's amusing to watch college basketball evolve into a sport in which transfers, one-and-doners and early departures are the order of the day, but coaches (and boot-licking toadies like Barfknecht) still claim you just gotta give automatic rollover extensions, or coaches won't be able to recruit. Moos's approach seems reasonable to me, and if Miles doesn't like it he can explore other options. It's not like being under contract ever stopped a coach from seeking a better job - at least not in this era.
Nailed it. People need to let things play out. I suspect that this will drag on and eventually they'll say, "we're going to wait til after the season to negotiate a new deal." Basically Miles has no other options that are going to pay him the kind of coin that we're paying him. Moos IMO is going to make Miles prove it and I don't see anything wrong with that. I've supported Miles for the most part, but at some point one has to question his ability to recruit top shelf talent on his own merit. IMO, if Moos thought he could get a slam dunk improvement for a head coach, he would have done it by now. I just don't think that guy is out there willing to take over for a 22 win coach.

We've had patience. We've had losing seasons 4 out of the last 6 years despite record administrative and fan base support. We spent millions of dollars building a world class practice facility, one of the best home court venues in the conference and have nothing to show for it. Recruits can see the writing on the wall, this program is circling the drain.
You misread my patience statement.
I agree with you 100% as you should know from my posting history.
I mean regarding the final outcome of Miles leaving, which is inevitable

Reactions: TheNewNU
Last year, we were predicted to finish last or next to last in the B10. Morrow and Jacobson transferred away. Everyone here lost their minds. And then we finished 4th in the conference.

Now we have one recruit-- ONE-- who changed his mind, and once again everyone loses their mind.

Copeland and Palmer are testing the waters for the draft, not because of Miles, but because that is what almost every player does if they have a shot at being drafted before their senior year. They haven't even hired agents.

Moos has been at NU for 6 months, and already people are calling for him to be fired.

Calm down, everyone.
You still dont get it. Picked last in year 6.

Last year, we were predicted to finish last or next to last in the B10. Morrow and Jacobson transferred away. Everyone here lost their minds. And then we finished 4th in the conference.

Now we have one recruit-- ONE-- who changed his mind, and once again everyone loses their mind.

Copeland and Palmer are testing the waters for the draft, not because of Miles, but because that is what almost every player does if they have a shot at being drafted before their senior year. They haven't even hired agents.

Calm down, everyone.
Agreed. All is well. We made the NIT and could do so again next year, or if not, then some year soon. Some of you people just don’t like people from South Dakota.

Here's the problem I have with how Moos has handled this whole thing. From what I've been told, Miles had an agreement with Hunter on an extension and Moos nixed it. Miles had another assistant lined up and Moos fought it and the assistant went elsewhere. In December, Moos was ready to move on from Miles after the season, but then Miles rattled off a 22 win season and 4th place finish in the B10 and it threw a wrench in his plans. Now he knew the only way to get rid of Miles was to replace him with someone like Dana Altman and failed. If he is going to try to "sabotage" Mikes next season so he can fire him, why not just do it now? I guess I just worry about Moos getting a label as a "toxic" AD who won't stand behind his coach with the extension and has a hard time finding an established coach because of some of the stuff I said above. Word gets out in the coaching community and it's my opinion that coaches won't think too kindly about how he's handled this situation. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, but it's how I see it.

Reactions: bigboxes
Bi
Nailed it. People need to let things play out. I suspect that this will drag on and eventually they'll say, "we're going to wait til after the season to negotiate a new deal." Basically Miles has no other options that are going to pay him the kind of coin that we're paying him. Moos IMO is going to make Miles prove it and I don't see anything wrong with that. I've supported Miles for the most part, but at some point one has to question his ability to recruit top shelf talent on his own merit. IMO, if Moos thought he could get a slam dunk improvement for a head coach, he would have done it by now. I just don't think that guy is out there willing to take over for a 22 win coach.
Bingo. Nailed it. I totally agree.

Agreed

Here's the problem I have with how Moos has handled this whole thing. From what I've been told, Miles had an agreement with Hunter on an extension and Moos nixed it. Miles had another assistant lined up and Moos fought it and the assistant went elsewhere. In December, Moos was ready to move on from Miles after the season, but then Miles rattled off a 22 win season and 4th place finish in the B10 and it threw a wrench in his plans. Now he knew the only way to get rid of Miles was to replace him with someone like Dana Altman and failed. If he is going to try to "sabotage" Mikes next season so he can fire him, why not just do it now? I guess I just worry about Moos getting a label as a "toxic" AD who won't stand behind his coach with the extension and has a hard time finding an established coach because of some of the stuff I said above. Word gets out in the coaching community and it's my opinion that coaches won't think too kindly about how he's handled this situation. Maybe I'm putting too much thought into it, but it's how I see it.
I respect that opinion and would agree with it if college coaches were still assembling rosters and running programs the way they used to. But it's just a completely different sport now, and yet coaches want to preach stability and security to their bosses?

I saw something similar play out at Colorado a few years ago. Ricardo Patton was going into the final year of his contract and started talking to reporters about how the AD absolutely had to give him an extension. Finally he overplayed his hand said if he wasn't offered an extension by such and such date, the upcoming season would be his last at CU and he was moving on to greener pastures. The AD said fine, best of luck to you, we'll survive somehow. Colorado ended up hiring Jeff Bzdelik, who brought in better talent (Alec Burks and Cory Higgins, for example) and was widely regarded as a better coach than Patton. Then CU hired Tad Boyle, who's also had more success than Patton. Meanwhile Ricardo went to Northern Illinois, got fired and took a job as a high school coach, and now he's an assistant at the University of Denver. So the free market sure doesn't seem to think that Colorado made a mistake by not throwing millions of dollars at him.

So there's no way to know for sure if Miles has turned down offers of a short-term extension (I don't believe everything I read on Twitter). But if he's done that, it's a similar overplay in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blindcheck
Copeland is a 23 year old with a college degree.

His draft stock has reached its peak and is on the downhill side. Playing another year does absolutely nothing for his professional basketball situation. He is either going overseas, to the G League or an undrafted Free Agent. That will be the same in 2019.

Palmer may be able to help his situation. I don’t think he gets drafted in 2018 or 2019 but he may have a good shot as an UFA. If he gets his degree in May, I am not sure I would come back.

Roby needs to come back. His body needs more work as does his outside game.
IF I am Copeland, I get at least a start on a Masters degree. I just don't see him making as much money long term with basketball as he could with an advanced degree. JMHO. It all depends on how he feels about education. The G league is not much fun. Playing overseas can be if you get in the right situation but you don't get rich doing that either.

IF I am Copeland, I get at least a start on a Masters degree. I just don't see him making as much money long term with basketball as he could with an advanced degree. JMHO. It all depends on how he feels about education. The G league is not much fun. Playing overseas can be if you get in the right situation but you don't get rich doing that either.

There is.some.good money playing overseas

I see it differently. Should a coach on the hot seat be allowed to give an assistant coach an extension? Not in my opinion, sure under the Harvey Pearlman/Steve Pederson and Sean Eickhorst model, that was done. I've even heard local media pine for a big extension for Miles & staff with the idea that he could be fired the following year anyway and who cares how much the buyout is? The idea among some is that NU has unlimited funds and a good use for it is to spend it on fired coaches. I think Moos is more in line with the more common style of leadership where you don't allow a lot of autonomy to a coach who you do not have a lot of confidence in. I agree more with that line of thinking.

There is.some.good money playing overseas
Well I'm sure it's better than the average Iowa grad could expect from their degree. I know people playing overseas and if you're not a star, you don't make enough to salt anything away. LONG TERM, a masters degree in a marketable area would pay dividends versus short term monetary rewards. It all depends on your perspective and your NBA potential. Overseas ball will always be there for you if you continue your college career.

I remember certain people here saying we have to keep Tim Miles so that we don't lose Xavier Johnson.

Recruits don't want to play for Tim Miles. Kenya Hunter saved Miles' job this year by bringing in Palmer and Copeland and Gill. Maybe we should have just promoted Hunter to head coach.
It's pretty sad that Miles didn't build a relationship with Xavier before now.

Reactions: Blindcheck
My biggest complaint regarding Miles has been the constant attrition every year. Chemistry is never developed because seemingly half the roster leaves every offseason. I'd be ok with an interim coach in the event everyone leaves.

Last year, we were predicted to finish last or next to last in the B10.

Someday we'll be "good" enough to picked to finish above last or next to last in conference.

Wasn't this year.

Won't be next year.

But someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
It is odd...NU had a great conference record but almost lost twice to one of the worst Illini teams ever. Last years Big Ten was just weird.

IMO Miles should not have received an extension. I don't see any improvement next year. I have grown so tired of one & done crap. Either declare out of HS or wait 3 years.

In any other world, a 7 year contract is renewed at about the 6 1/2 year mark...In coaching they start renewing and extending contracts after year 2 or 3...

To me that is not fiscally responsible to do so, unless you have a guy that is being actively courted by your competitors...(IE Matt Campbell at Iowa State football, ISU needs to pony up, because he is a hot commodity)

I hear the excuse that players won't commit because their coach won't be there next year if they don't have an extension...that is a lie agents tell ADs...because any player that doesn't live under a rock knows that the only guarantee a coach is retained is if he keeps winning, regardless the length of contract remaining.

I hear the excuse that players won't commit because their coach won't be there next year if they don't have an extension...that is a lie agents tell ADs...because any player that doesn't live under a rock knows that the only guarantee a coach is retained is if he keeps winning, regardless the length of contract remaining.
Very well said. And in fact, even coaches who keep winning might not stick around, because they often leave for greener pastures.

Among coaches who leave for a better job, I would love to know how many recently signed a contract extension. And for those who are fired, how many recently signed a contract extension? Are we really to believe that recruits and their parents are not aware of this?

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Very well said. And in fact, even coaches who keep winning might not stick around, because they often leave for greener pastures.

Among coaches who leave for a better job, I would love to know how many recently signed a contract extension. And for those who are fired, how many recently signed a contract extension? Are we really to believe that recruits and their parents are not aware of this?

I think there is a big difference in the chance of a successful coach leaving and the chance of a mediocre coach not getting an extension.

When I was the parent of the 18 year old, we checked on the contract status of the coach. If the school was committed to that coach by way of contract and the coach was successful, in our minds, even if the coach left for greener pastures, the school would land a replacement that had a better than average chance at continued success. When a school did not show the commitment to the coach, that gave us the impression that either the school didn't have a commitment to the program or a commitment to the coach. It isn't an exact science, but it is a little more nuanced than some believe.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Bill McCartney built the Colorado Buffaloes under a state law that only allowed 1 year contracts....

You can overcome contract issues....

Man I must not understand how things work. Head coaches can give contract extension to their assistants? I guess I could see"hey you're doing a great job and I am going to recommend that you get an extension" but I would think assistants would be year to year contract in case they get a sniff at a head coaching gig. If you have a multi year contract, what happens if HC or university won't let you out of it?

Bill McCartney built the Colorado Buffaloes under a state law that only allowed 1 year contracts....

You can overcome contract issues....
That was in fact a different time AND people understood that the state law prevented longer contracts so it was harder to use that against him in recruiting battles. You're comparing apples to oranges put I understand your point.

I think there is a big difference in the chance of a successful coach leaving and the chance of a mediocre coach not getting an extension.

When I was the parent of the 18 year old, we checked on the contract status of the coach. If the school was committed to that coach by way of contract and the coach was successful, in our minds, even if the coach left for greener pastures, the school would land a replacement that had a better than average chance at continued success. When a school did not show the commitment to the coach, that gave us the impression that either the school didn't have a commitment to the program or a commitment to the coach. It isn't an exact science, but it is a little more nuanced than some believe.
So if Moos had given Miles a 3-year extension instead of only one, do you think that says Miles is NU's guy for the long haul, and he'll be here when this year's recruits are upperclassmen? Or does it say, "Well, this is what Power 5 programs are supposed to do in this situation, so if Miles doesn't turn the corner at least he'll get a really nice severance package."?

So if Moos had given Miles a 3-year extension instead of only one, do you think that says Miles is NU's guy for the long haul, and he'll be here when this year's recruits are upperclassmen? Or does it say, "Well, this is what Power 5 programs are supposed to do in this situation, so if Miles doesn't turn the corner at least he'll get a really nice severance package."?
Moos is/was in a no win situation with Miles.

Without Kenya Hunter, Miles is going to struggle to recruit no matter how many years are on his contract. No need to pay him more than we have to. It's not like there are other programs out there that are hoping to hire him away.

But he didn't. He gave him the 1 year extension which shows me that he isn't committed to him long term. But as I said it is more involved then that. When you look at the combination of financial commitment to the program and length of the contract, it shows you exactly what you want. Committed to program not to the coach. If they committed him to a long term deal and spent no money on improvements, shows me they are committed to losing, and they coach is safe.

Reactions: dinglefritz
But he didn't. He gave him the 1 year extension which shows me that he isn't committed to him long term. But as I said it is more involved then that. When you look at the combination of financial commitment to the program and length of the contract, it shows you exactly what you want. Committed to program not to the coach. If they committed him to a long term deal and spent no money on improvements, shows me they are committed to losing, and they coach is safe.
IF in fact Moos vetoed an extension for Hunter and a pay raise, Moos probably screwed that up and you have to wonder if Moos didn't set Miles up to fail.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
Without Kenya Hunter, Miles is going to struggle to recruit no matter how many years are on his contract. No need to pay him more than we have to. It's not like there are other programs out there that are hoping to hire him away.
Somebody would hire him but not at near the wages we're paying.

IF in fact Moos vetoed an extension for Hunter and a pay raise, Moos probably screwed that up and you have to wonder if Moos didn't set Miles up to fail.

Just another step in the process, if you are reading the tea leaves. IF he vetoed the extension for Hunter, the lack of long term extension for Miles, added to the financial commitment the school has put into the basketball program, shows me that there is no commitment to Miles. Call it setting him up to fail or whatever, I prefer to call it cutting your losses.

That was in fact a different time AND people understood that the state law prevented longer contracts so it was harder to use that against him in recruiting battles. You're comparing apples to oranges put I understand your point.

I would say that it was even more important for coaches back then to show that they had a long term committment from the University...Very few players left early and very few transfers.

McCartney was in trouble in 1986 and I gurantee you that his one year contract was an albatross that he had to overcome, because had he not beaten Nebraska that year and finally started the turn around, there sure as heck would not have been a 30 for 30 on the Colorado program.

Boo hoo youre all over this board making excuses for your boy. He had his chance and he is a let down, needs to go, period. He hasnt done good enough. Get over it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT