ADVERTISEMENT

WR William Nixon

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
...internet says he could be N, the flurry of activity would lead me to believe soon hopefully?

Dad played at WV and PSU and is currently co-OC at Baylor.
William gonna ‘blaise’ his own path.

On film, looks like a baller. Fast, good hands, etc. I like him.

So he doesn’t want to stay with daddy at Baylor?

His dad doesn’t want him to.
He wants Will to go somewhere else.
PSU slow-played him & asked him to wait to visit until the fall which didn’t make him happy. ND wanted him on defense but he wants to play WR. His dad wanted him at ND (dad grew up a ND fan & wanted to go there), but on Monday (when ND got the silent from Watts) ND told Will that they would take him but he would be on defense. So both sides agreed it would be best to look elsewhere.
He is expected (according to mods) to commit to Nebraska.
Good WR, quick moves, great kid.

His dad doesn’t want him to.
He wants Will to go somewhere else.
PSU slow-played him & asked him to wait to visit until the fall which didn’t make him happy. ND wanted him on defense but he wants to play WR. His dad wanted him at ND (dad grew up a ND fan & wanted to go there), but on Monday (when ND got the silent from Watts) ND told Will that they would take him but he would be on defense. So both sides agreed it would be best to look elsewhere.
He is expected (according to mods) to commit to Nebraska.
Good WR, quick moves, great kid.
Just go away.

5'11", 185. Is he really that tall? Seems to be a pattern here. Are we the "itty bitty committee" again?

On a related question, how do you recruit when you were just turned down by your instate Target and your only other commit at that position may not qualify?

5'11", 185. Is he really that tall? Seems to be a pattern here. Are we the "itty bitty committee" again?

On a related question, how do you recruit when you were just turned down by your instate Target and your only other commit at that position may not qualify?

Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown are both 5'11". You probably turn them away. Too short.

This kid is really good.

Reactions: natesonnen
Odell Beckham and Antonio Brown are both 5'11". You probably turn them away. Too short.

Did I say that? I asked if he really is that tall. So, is he? You seem to know it all.

And the dilemma for recruiting is real, like it or not.

Last edited:
...internet says he could be N, the flurry of activity would lead me to believe soon hopefully?

Dad played at WV and PSU and is currently co-OC at Baylor.
William gonna ‘blaise’ his own path.

On film, looks like a baller. Fast, good hands, etc. I like him.
We lost Watts if we can get this kid, it is an even up trade off.

Reactions: anon_d3ycxo0rdg6ko
I have no problem landing the shorter WRs that can fly.
But also would definitely like to mix in some bigger bodied guys. Dom Watt and Omar Manning would fit that profile to help balance things a bit.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think this is just a case of a select number of kids trying to make a strategic decision on where to go. I bet we were #2 or #3 for this guy, and once the other program(s) picked up Watt and anyone else, they were like "Ok, but you're not going to start at WR and we want you on D instead" because they simply don't have the room for him anymore at that role, so he goes "Ok cool, I'll go to my second choice that runs a super dynamic offense, I'm good."

These things happen. Stop being a bunch of NINNIES and put de lime in de coconut.

So he was plan B?

If two kids are relatively even it’s a no brainer that staff would focus on getting the local kid first.
But Nixon’s been on their radar for a while I think. Also a lot of what we see as “focus” or “priority” is really just media coverage and obviously the local kid takes up more media space.

We need several WR’s in this class.
We also need a load of LBs and more DB’s. Time to start hauling in some good catches on the Husker Recruitin boat.

I don't know about that. Not much noise about the kid on the NU front until after Watts committed elsewhere.
Frost will most likely always try to take a local kid first if the talent level is similar. I'm not worried about Nixon being a step down. He may end up being better. It all depends on how hard he works.

I think we would have taken Watts and Nixon, and we wouldn't have cared who committed first.

I agree. For whatever reason, they are not high on some of the higher-end WR's that Riley recruited, like McQuitty and Hunt. McQuitty was a 4 star and Hunt was a high 3 star that USC wanted really badly. You would think these guys would be featured in an offense like this, but right now it's all about Spielman, Robinson, and <insert a tight end> and that's kind of it.

Reactions: samuel
I agree. For whatever reason, they are not high on some of the higher-end WR's that Riley recruited, like McQuitty and Hunt. McQuitty was a 4 star and Hunt was a high 3 star that USC wanted really badly. You would think these guys would be featured in an offense like this, but right now it's all about Spielman, Robinson, and <insert a tight end> and that's kind of it.

Both of those guys are young. It takes some people a while to acclimate to college ball.

It's also a reason why I hate recruiting rankings....it creates unrealistic expectations. Most guys need time to develop out of high school. And if people don't burst onto the scene, then people think they're busts. Which isn't true.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
Both of those guys are young. It takes some people a while to acclimate to college ball.

It's also a reason why I hate recruiting rankings....it creates unrealistic expectations. Most guys need time to develop out of high school. And if people don't burst onto the scene, then people think they're busts. Which isn't true.

Yeah, it definitely highlights the limitations of recruiting rankings. They're just an estimate of how things "may" turn out. Higher recruiting rankings usually translates to skillful football, but not always. Plus, poor development and mediocre coaching yields *meh teams even with great recruits. Look at pretty much the bottom half of the SEC.

That was one thing we always had to account for, even when we were really good. We had to develop the shit out of our players and play an offensive scheme that very few teams wanted to play in order to win a lot. And even then, we lost pretty much every major title game we got to for like...20 years?

What I like about the potential of Frost's offense is that it is malleable and it relies on more up-to-date principles developed by Chip Kelly to do mostly the same thing Osborne's offense did; it doesn't physically beat you into the dirt, but it exploits weaknesses wherever they are found and punishes you for them. Your players are not in the best shape? Ok, we'll play super fast. Oh, your corners and linebackers kind of suck? Get ready for bubble screens and sweeps to the outside until you're blue in the face. Your defensive line needs work? Ok, we'll run the ball at you using literally any player we can think of from any direction we want to and then POP hit you with a long pass to a wide open WR or TE half way down the field. Make an adjustment? Ok, we'll adjust around it and hit another weak spot. And we'll do it as quickly as possible to have your guys sucking air and running around confused ASAP.

Our defense is literally designed to give the ball back to the offense. That is how strongly Frost believes in what he is doing, and honestly, the evidence at Oregon and UCF suggests he is right.

Don’t agree with that. There’s no evidence that supports that. Those guys are either still young, or have had injuries. Last I heard, they were real high in Hunt. He was in the top rotation for the spring.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT