ADVERTISEMENT

WR William Nixon

Don’t agree with that. There’s no evidence that supports that. Those guys are either still young, or have had injuries. Last I heard, they were real high in Hunt. He was in the top rotation for the spring.

Yes. ^ coaches said Hunt was stepping up. Also, he was recruited by Frost not Riley. McQuitty may not pan out after his injuries, but there is time for him to find a role.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Thank you for the updates on those guys. I hadn't heard much other than "not starting" for a while.

Nixon was not talked about much (if at all) until Watts made his decision, now he is an option.

I asked if he was really 5'11" and apparently that is not something to question.

I have read multiple recruiting articles where the staff was looking for the "big body" receiver(s) even last year. Last I heard we were in on a couple in this class. Right or wrong?

The current WR commit may or may not qualify so do you take 2 WR's or 3? Sure it is easy to say, just take them but you also have other areas of need - interior linemen, LB's in and out, and CB's. Its a balancing act.

Did ND really want Nixon as a DB versus at WR? I have no clue.

Yes, 5'8" RB's are like Sanders and 5'11" receivers are Beckham and Brown. I get it.

Thank you for pointing out my spelling error, it is now fixed.

Dang, he uses Will for short.

I was wanting to call him Bill.

Bill Nixon.

Has a nice ring to it. I think Ill stick with Bill.
He looks good.

I wouldn’t sleep on Nixon. He is really good.

ND didn’t necessarily “pass” on him. They liked him a lot. But in ND’s offense they have WRs who play certain positions (like X, Y, etc) & they already have a lot of players who play the same as Nixon. But they liked him so much they would have taken his commitment on defense. So ND didn’t pass on him because they didn’t like him.
And just because both NU & ND had Watts above Nixon doesn’t mean they don’t want him. Both ND & NU has WRs above Watts (Johnson & Betts) but both still really wanted Watts. It’s not a “one or the other” situation. You can take both.

I predict NU fans will be very happy with Nixon is a few years.

ND didn’t necessarily “pass” on him. They liked him a lot. But in ND’s offense they have WRs who play certain positions (like X, Y, etc) & they already have a lot of players who play the same as Nixon. But they liked him so much they would have taken his commitment on defense. So ND didn’t pass on him because they didn’t like him.
And just because both NU & ND had Watts above Nixon doesn’t mean they don’t want him. Both ND & NU has WRs above Watts (Johnson & Betts) but both still really wanted Watts. It’s not a “one or the other” situation. You can take both.

Well I can rest easy at night knowing you got bing the seal of approval......

LOL

I just don’t understand why some NU fans are trying to downplay this kid?
He is a coach’s kid, comes from a great family, smart kid, great athlete, and a really good football player.

The dude downplaying this kid would bitch about us landing a Barry Sanders clone because he's too slight to be an everydown back.

If we won the NC next season he would bitch because there would have to be some kind of shady conspiracy going on on the program in order for there to be that kid of turnaround.

If Warren Buffet gave his entire fortune to the program there would be some kind of negative there too. Probably something about not earning it the hard way.

LOL

I just don’t understand why some NU fans are trying to downplay this kid?
He is a coach’s kid, comes from a great family, smart kid, great athlete, and a really good football player.
I am not downplaying him at all. I just don’t much care what your thoughts are on him.

Reactions: SOHusker11

You make it sound like he’s coming to Nebraska for sure.

I am not downplaying him at all. I just don’t much care what your thoughts are on him.

Simply because you don’t like my team my thoughts are pointless?
But they aren’t even my thoughts, they are the opinion of various ND analysts who have broken down his film & covered his recruitment the past year.

I don't know about that. Not much noise about the kid on the NU front until after Watts committed elsewhere.
The 2 are pretty equal talent wise in my opinion. All things being equal I think Frost and Co and fans would much rather have a Nebraska kid. I think that is why Watts was getting more hype and attention.

Losing Watts isn’t catastrophic (there are still lots of good players, I assume, out there), but it hurts. First time Frost has lost a big recruit out of Nebraska. I am not blaming him since I am sure they pulled out all of the stops to recruit the young man. But it stings. Nixon looks good and I hope we get him, but Watts was one of those Nebraska kids who can help create a winning culture on the team.

It also points out how terribly critical this season is. Last year could be written off as a first year aberration. But have another sub par year this Fall and the guild will be off of the Frost lily. Of course, I am certain Frost and staff understand this too and are pressing hard to get the team ready to click on all cylinders this Fall. And that means, among a lot of other things, that we have to eliminate all of the dumb ass penalties that killed us last year. We will be a better team this Fall, but we have to play smart, error free football because our talent margin over our rivals in the West is not that great.

Winning cures everything. Patience...

GBR

Losing Watts isn’t catastrophic (there are still lots of good players, I assume, out there), but it hurts. First time Frost has lost a big recruit out of Nebraska. I am not blaming him since I am sure they pulled out all of the stops to recruit the young man. But it stings. Nixon looks good and I hope we get him, but Watts was one of those Nebraska kids who can help create a winning culture on the team.
I think part of getting Nebraska kids on the team is like you said it helps to build that mentality and winning culture. These kids have grown up since little watching Nebraska. Their parents, grandparents, and great grandparents grew up watching Nebraska football. It is part of them deeply. Nebraska kids, want it more. Work harder, and in turn that rubs off on other players and the team.
As far as Watts, from my understanding he nor his family have any ties to Nebraska football and have little interest in it. He didn't grow up cheering for Nebraska (actually I think ND was his team since childhood) So as far as him bringing that "Nebraska culture" to the team I don't think he has it. Im not saying he isn't talented, or that he wouldn't have been a good get. I don't think losing him is as big of deal vs losing a kid who actually grew up loving Nebraska. We need kids from Nebraska who have passion for the program, who are willing to give up scholarships to other school in order to walk on to get a shot to play for their team. Watts was not one of those kids. I wish him well, but he is not as big of loss as many think.

Last edited:
His Hudl film looks good. 3-Star rating looks to be right... a good potential pick up on Monday.

Well apparently we won't have to wait long to find out Nixon's decision - looks like he announces Monday.

Sucks about Watts but oh well. He went Notre Dame. But it Looks like Will Nixon is a big time Husker lean and we should have his commitment tomorrow. I’ll never complain about losing a 5.6 3 star WR and landing a 5.7 3 star WR (even if ones from Nebraska...plus side is, Nixon is from Texas, maybe this will help gain more traction in Texas again???).

NDAFairy said Watts would go to ND and we had moved on to Nixon a while back.
Seems his info may have been more accurate than some want to admit.

He has taken some real shit on here and, from what I’ve seen, has not reciprocated. He is guilty of coming on another team’s board and telling them things they don’t want to hear—regardless of whether they’re true—and for that he was tarred and feathered. Curious indeed.

I really don't know why folks got their panties in a wad over Watt. Looks like the kid was a heavy Domer lean from jump. FrostCo took a run at him, or at least went through the motions in order to look like they weren't blowing off an in-state kid. NU now apparently leads with Nixon, who is as good or better prospect than Watts.

Maybe the reason some are upset is the team went what 5 for 5 in the top instate guys last year. Not going to always get the entire top instate guys.

He has taken some real shit on here and, from what I’ve seen, has not reciprocated. He is guilty of coming on another team’s board and telling them things they don’t want to hear—regardless of whether they’re true—and for that he was tarred and feathered. Curious indeed.

eso si que es

Watts definitely isn't 6'1" and Nixon is faster and plays 10X the competition, I'd take both but Nixon is a better prospect.
Not complaining about Nixon but both Nebraska and ND staffs seemed to favor Watts over Nixon so he may not be the “better prospect.” Doesn’t mean he won’t turn out to be a better player but I’d hesitate to say both team’s second choice is actually better. Seem like different receivers and excited to see what Nixon can do.

Not complaining about Nixon but both Nebraska and ND staffs seemed to favor Watts over Nixon so he may not be the “better prospect.” Doesn’t mean he won’t turn out to be a better player but I’d hesitate to say both team’s second choice is actually better. Seem like different receivers and excited to see what Nixon can do.

To be "fair" didn't NU staff HAVE to favor Watts?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT