ADVERTISEMENT

Wow, POB is really good, why wasn't he starting last fall?

"The situation is eerily similar to the Sam Keller transfer to Nebraska back in 2007." - ABRAHAM LINCOLN
Sam Keller transferred because he got beat out at ASU. Lee transferred because of a change in offensive systems. More Joe Dailey than Sam Keller. POB is a highly regarded RS frosh. Joe Ganz was a guy known by few outside of Lincoln, but had three years in the WCO by the time he and Keller competed for the job.

O line play is critical for sure. The one thing I know the current QBs can do that Tommy often struggled with is find the check down receiver. That alone will help if the defense knows they can't pin their ears back and rush like crazy.

But to your point, the O line must be better. It would have been interesting to see what Tommy could have done with a better line.

True. Look no further than the inconsistencies in our run blocking and rushing game to see the OL had many issues. I'm not even talking about the lack of pass protection as another area that needs major improvement.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
The OL was a disaster last year. I guess it all got blamed on injuries or we should have seen a coaching change there as well. We better see some real freaking improvement there this year.

1. With all the injuries to the offensive line, POB would've gotten killed. Hell Ryker Fyfe made one start against a shitty Maryland team and broke an arm.

2. POB wouldn't have beaten Iowa or won at Wisconsin or even survived vs Ohio State. Tennessee was able to do whatever they wanted vs. Nebraska's defense.

3. POB would've made no difference in relation to wins and losses.

4. Let's say Lee wins the starting job the n next two seasons. You would then still have POB for another two seasons, with a ton of experience in the system.

5. If you rip the redshirt off in 2016, you don't win any more games, and you basically have him for one season after Lee graduates.

Now somebody might say Gebbia will eventually beat him out. That's surely possible. But there will be a ton of value going forward if Nebraska suddenly has 2nd and 3rd year 4 Star QBs consistently competing for starting jobs.

And anyone who thinks Nebraska should've started POB from day one last season is ignorant. They would've lost to Oregon and @Northwestern for sure. Indiana would've been iffy.

Mike Riley would've not survived another losing season at Nebraska. And I doubt they would've signed Tyjion Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Blades or Gebbia and many many more had he actually survived another 5 or 6 win season.

Langsdorf and Riley went into 2016 with a smart game plan built around Armstrong's strengths. When the team was healthy it worked. Just look at the Northwestern game. That was the last time an opponent was forced to defend the whole field vs Nebraska in 2016.

Then Jordan gets hurt.
Then Moore is gimpy.
Then Carter goes down
Then Farmer gets hurt.
Reilly has hamstring issues
Then Armstrong goes down. And once the Run threat of the RPO was gone for Tommy, then defending Nebraska was very easy.

At that point, there was no reason to rip the redshirt off of POB. Would've been foolish and changed nothing on the scoreboard.

Injuries happen to everyone. The teams who can absorb those injuries are best equipped to win Championships. But sometimes you have to get lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy balls. There are times that I really hate reading the thoughts of others. This is one of those times.

1. With all the injuries to the offensive line, POB would've gotten killed. Hell Ryker Fyfe made one start against a shitty Maryland team and broke an arm.

2. POB wouldn't have beaten Iowa or won at Wisconsin or even survived vs Ohio State. Tennessee was able to do whatever they wanted vs. Nebraska's defense.

4. Let's say Lee wins the starting job the n next two seasons. You would then still have POB for another two seasons, with a ton of experience in the system.

5. If you rip the redshirt off in 2016, you don't win any more games, and you basically have him for one season after Lee graduates.

Now somebody might say Gebbia will eventually beat him out. That's surely possible. But there will be a ton of value going forward if Nebraska suddenly has 2nd and 3rd year 4 Star QBs consistently competing for starting jobs.

And anyone who thinks Nebraska should've started POB from day one last season is ignorant. They would've lost to Oregon and @Northwestern for sure. Indiana would've been iffy.

Mike Riley would've not survived another losing season at Nebraska. And I doubt they would've signed Tyjion Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Blades or Gebbia and many many more had he actually survived another 5 or 6 win season.

Langsdorf and Riley went into 2016 with a smart game plan built around Armstrong's strengths. When the team was healthy it worked. Just look at the Northwestern game. That was the last time an opponent was forced to defend the whole field vs Nebraska in 2016.

Then Jordan gets hurt.
Then Moore is gimpy.
Then Carter goes down
Then Farmer gets hurt.
Then Armstrong goes down. And once the Run threat of the RPO was gone for Tommy, then defending Nebraska was very easy.

At that point, there was no reason to rip the redshirt off of POB. Would've been foolish and changed nothing on the scoreboard.

Injuries happen to everyone. The teams who can absorb those injuries are best equipped to win Championships. But sometimes you have to get lucky.
Maybe this post should be pinned at the top of the board for easy reference.

I have never seen a post with so many "absolutes", or things that didn't actually happen, but stated as fact as if they had actually happened. Even if you're right, you don't actually know these things as all being true and factual. This is a classic BS post. A perfect model for other posters on how people can just MAKE UP whatever they want and present it as absolute fact. Garbage post.

Reactions: wkato
Langsdorf froze up in OT? Take a look at the last play of the game again. Fits this thread perfectly.

Yeah..he called plays as if we had to score instead of getting a first down...you mean the last play where the DE for Wisky jumped in the air before TA threw it. Throwing that balls on time could have just as easily been batted down. It was just a badly timed play.

I do remember our defense giving up a TD on a high school play that we still can't stop.

Both TA and D-coordinator are gone. Hopefully we will have better play in both those areas going forward.

Yeah..he called plays as if we had to score instead of getting a first down...you mean the last play where the DE for Wisky jumped in the air before TA threw it. Throwing that balls on time could have just as easily been batted down. It was just a badly timed play.

I do remember our defense giving up a TD on a high school play that we still can't stop.

Both TA and D-coordinator are gone. Hopefully we will have better play in both those areas going forward.
I do remember the breakdown after the fact... If TA threw that ball at the right time, the receiver already had him beat. It was a sure TD unless the receiver dropped the ball or TA made a poor pass. No one was there to knock it down if it was thrown at the right time. The fact that the throw was late allowed Wisconsin to recover and be in position to knock it down. It was pretty clear as Aaron Semm (who played QB in high school and college and knows far more than most on this board) broke it down on Twitter or something...

we got a 12-31 2 INT performance from our 4 year starter and still managed to get that game into OT (that was the worst QB performance Wisconsin faced the entire year)
if Tommy is just merely terrible rather than absolutely horrendous we win this game

having said that we probably don't win 9 games if someone other than TA is playing last year .. lets not forget he bailed us out with a long TD run to avoid an absolutely embarrassing home loss against the worst team in the PAC 12 North last year

What's garbage and what isn't
I don't think Ryker broke an arm, but close enough. The POB getting killed part is conjecture, but a fair assertion nonetheless.

Fair assertions, can't say I disagree.

It's quite possible POB loses another game or two.

4. Let's say Lee wins the starting job the next two seasons. You would then still have POB for another two seasons, with a ton of experience in the system.
This is true. But then again, learning while starting would make him even better. But not if Lee is the better player.

Fair assertion, true if the players are even in abilities........

Now somebody might say Gebbia will eventually beat him out.
Gebbia looks like a HS kid in terms of frame in the practice videos I've see.

But there will be a ton of value going forward if Nebraska suddenly has 2nd and 3rd year 4 Star QBs consistently competing for starting jobs.
This is reasonable.

These are fair assertions. Maybe not for sure.

Mike Riley would've not survived another losing season at Nebraska.
Another fair assertion

And I doubt they would've signed Tyjion Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Blades or Gebbia and many many more had he actually survived another 5 or 6 win season.
Yes, recruiting becomes more difficult once a head coach takes on the smell of death.

Then Jordan gets hurt.
Then Moore is gimpy.
Then Carter goes down
Then Farmer gets hurt.

This is a fair take on the situation.

A very reasonable take.

Last year even a healthy NU was not built to win a championship without some luck. A fully functional team still loses to tOSU. Maybe we beat PSU. But then the luck part comes in with the PSU win over tOSU.

Total conjecture. If he wins the job in the fall and starts game 1, we have no idea what any results will be. The offense would have been different from the beginning. It's a pointless argument, impossible to even speculate on how things would have been different.
O'Brien is a halfway decent runner as well. Finished with 686 yards rushing his senior year in HS

What's garbage and what isn't
I don't think Ryker broke an arm, but close enough. The POB getting killed part is conjecture, but a fair assertion nonetheless.

Fair assertions, can't say I disagree.

It's quite possible POB loses another game or two.

4. Let's say Lee wins the starting job the next two seasons. You would then still have POB for another two seasons, with a ton of experience in the system.
This is true. But then again, learning while starting would make him even better. But not if Lee is the better player.

Fair assertion, true if the players are even in abilities........

Now somebody might say Gebbia will eventually beat him out.
Gebbia looks like a HS kid in terms of frame in the practice videos I've see.

But there will be a ton of value going forward if Nebraska suddenly has 2nd and 3rd year 4 Star QBs consistently competing for starting jobs.
This is reasonable.

These are fair assertions. Maybe not for sure.

Mike Riley would've not survived another losing season at Nebraska.
Another fair assertion

And I doubt they would've signed Tyjion Lindsey, Avery Roberts, Blades or Gebbia and many many more had he actually survived another 5 or 6 win season.
Yes, recruiting becomes more difficult once a head coach takes on the smell of death.

Then Jordan gets hurt.
Then Moore is gimpy.
Then Carter goes down
Then Farmer gets hurt.

This is a fair take on the situation.

A very reasonable take.

Last year even a healthy NU was not built to win a championship without some luck. A fully functional team still loses to tOSU. Maybe we beat PSU. But then the luck part comes in with the PSU win over tOSU.
I'm not arguing just to argue, just putting out another thought. It is difficult to predict how many games POB would have won and lost because so much goes into the QB position the speculation is impossible IMHO. For instance, perhaps quick reads and quickly thrown balls saves a lot of wear and tear on the receivers and they would not have been injured as much in practice and in games. Didn't Carter hyperextend his elbow after coming down from catching a very high pass? I can't remember. Maybe a quicker, better thrown ball would have prevented that injury. And then, supposing POB came out on fire on game 1, gained the team's confidence and they played better so the staff could put backups in sooner in most games? Less injuries, and when injuries did happen the next men were more experienced. What if POB had sustained that first drive against tOSU and NU scored? Maybe the team would have had more confidence and even though probably losing, maybe not blown out so badly. I'm glad they didn't pull the shirt, but just sayin - predicting wins and losses based on personnel available is pretty tough.

I'll go out on a limb and say if POB wins the job he will run for south of 175 yards on the season.
All he needs to do is to be able to avoid pressure and maybe scramble for a 1st down enough to keep a defense honest. The kid has very functional mobility. I would bet his 40 time is as fast as some kids playing RB at lesser programs.

Reactions: huskerssalts
All he needs to do is to be able to avoid pressure and maybe scramble for a 1st down enough to keep a defense honest. The kid has very functional mobility. I would bet his 40 time is as fast as some kids playing RB at lesser programs.

My reply was to crymsonsteel who appeared to be using POB's high school rushing numbers to dispute my point that the offense would have been completely different had POB won the job as a true freshman over TA.

I agree with your assessment on POBs functional speed and what he can do. I stand by my opinion that he won't be used as a runner, so when you factor in the negative yards from sacks, he won't sniff 200 yards rushing and will be below 175. Again if he wins the job.

Reactions: dinglefritz
My reply was to crymsonsteel who appeared to be using POB's high school rushing numbers to dispute my point that the offense would have been completely different had POB won the job as a true freshman over TA.

I agree with your assessment on POBs functional speed and what he can do. I stand by my opinion that he won't be used as a runner, so when you factor in the negative yards from sacks, he won't sniff 200 yards rushing and will be below 175. Again if he wins the job.
personally I hope they leave an element of the QB run game in no matter who the QB is. Make the D account for him when we're running the ball. We've had QBs run the option over the years that were no more athletic than POB. Run him maybe once or twice a game but tell to avoid hits unless its a game changing situation.

Reactions: dockentwo
What? There was no prohibition on Freshmen playing football in 1980. In fact Gill played as a freshman.
Gill and Fryar played on the freshman team, in fact we lost to Iowa and Penn State playing Mark Mauer and Nate Mason before Gill did start as a sophomore.

Gill and Fryar played on the freshman team, in fact we lost to Iowa and Penn State playing Mark Mauer and Nate Mason before Gill did start as a sophomore.

Wrong, he may have played on the freshman team but he also played in mop up duty on Saturdays. He is in the record book for having been 0 for 1 passing and rushing 4 times for 26 yards.

Fryar also made appearances as a true freshman on the varsity team.

Then Jordan gets hurt.
Then Moore is gimpy.
Then Carter goes down
Then Farmer gets hurt.

Solid take and best summary I have read of why TA was the starter all last year.

personally I hope they leave an element of the QB run game in no matter who the QB is. Make the D account for him when we're running the ball. We've had QBs run the option over the years that were no more athletic than POB. Run him maybe once or twice a game but tell to avoid hits unless its a game changing situation.
POB is probably more athletic than several of the QBs from back in the day. The question is whether TL is truly a statue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT