ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin Frosh phenom not named starter at QB

So how's it doing?
It's a clusterf**k, anyone can win. Everyone thinks they'll win.

I will say Minny fans (on 247, idk about here) see you guys as a guaranteed win. Their arrogance after winning the Ax followed by a bowl might be unmatched.

I think NU, Iowa and UW have a good mix of fans claiming 10-2 down to 7-5.

The other 3 schools don't have a presence on these sites.

It’s hard not to underestimate him when he couldn’t beat out Hornibrook. I’m sure he will be a solid game manager who can hit wide open wide receivers when, after being bludgeoned on the ground, a defense has to over commit to stop the run

Being fair here...Jack Coan was a freshman and sophomore then and how long was Horn in Wisconsin’s system? Their QBs don’t exactly have to do much. Throw the occasional play action pass and hand the ball off? I’m shutting my mouth on Coan vs Mertz till I see how Coan plays. He’s been in their system for what...going on 3 years now? He’s got the tools and knows the plays.

All reports the last few weeks were that Coan got his act together and took the starting spot like you'd expect an older guy to do. He's played well and is stretching the field more than any QB in UW fall camp in recent memory.

“OT but the OL might be better at flat out mauling folks than 2018's. Eric Charmander will lose sleep starting Friday”.

You guys better hope that’s correct...our Dline is deep and talented this year and lead by two monsterius NTs in Darren Daniels and Damion Daniels that both weigh 340 plus...then we have two DEs that weigh 320 plus in the Davis twins. Then we add the cherry on top with Ben Stille and Jahkeem Green...I fully expect our run defense to take a HUGE step forward this year under Coach T. He helped Cal post one of the best run stopping defenses in the Pac12 last year. And our overall defense should be better in year 2 of Chins system. We got a great set of DBs, deep Dline and a solid STARTING group of LBs. Our weakness is the depth at LB...outside that...Huskers are more then ready for Wisconsin this year. Believe that. GBR

I only meant that as a response that I'm here because it's an NU board. I'm here because it's a West board. But I'll take my leave and stop stirring the nest On Wisconsin Go Badgers :D
Fair enough, I get it.
In our respective bowl games, count me N as a temp fan.

You guys better hope that’s correct...our Dline is deep and talented this year and lead by two monsterius NTs in Darren Daniels and Damion Daniels that both weigh 340 plus...then we have two DEs that weigh 320 plus in the Davis twins. Then we add the cherry on top with Ben Stille and Jahkeem Green...I fully expect our run defense to take a HUGE step forward this year under Coach T. He helped Cal post one of the best run stopping defenses in the Pac12 last year. And our overall defense should be better in year 2 of Chins system. We got a great set of DBs, deep Dline and a solid STARTING group of LBs. Our weakness is the depth at LB...outside that...Huskers are more then ready for Wisconsin this year. Believe that. GBR
You forgot maybe who is the biggest surprise this year, Thomas, dont sleep on him, he's no longer playing nose at 265

Reactions: huskerssalts
You forgot maybe who is the biggest surprise this year, Thomas, dont sleep on him, he's no longer playing nose at 265

Exactly....and his freshman year he was raising havoc in the opponents back fields. Now he’s a lot bigger and more polished. We are...without a doubt....3-4 deep on the Dline. We haven’t had that luxury in years.

With the Badgers step backwards last year, maybe they're worried about getting Merks hurt.

I was trying to see if Wisconsin has ever started a freshman QB? I couldn’t find anything, anywhere. I don’t think they ever have. Horn was close a redshirt freshman but he didn’t start.

Like we need a real QB to beat up y'all. :D
Even goddamn Joel "Sunshine" Stave and "Statue" Hornibrook went undefeated vs Nebraska.
It's against the OSU's of the world when we need Mertz.
did you lose your binky while on your own board and came over here looking for something to suckle on?

Last edited:
Is it that surprising? True freshman QBs rarely start, and when they do, there's usually a lot of growing pains. No matter who they have starting, it's probably not going to be their qb play that hurts us.

Reactions: jeans15
It's a clusterf**k, anyone can win. Everyone thinks they'll win.

I will say Minny fans (on 247, idk about here) see you guys as a guaranteed win. Their arrogance after winning the Ax followed by a bowl might be unmatched.

I think NU, Iowa and UW have a good mix of fans claiming 10-2 down to 7-5.

The other 3 schools don't have a presence on these sites.

Spiralling

All reports the last few weeks were that Coan got his act together and took the starting spot like you'd expect an older guy to do. He's played well and is stretching the field more than any QB in UW fall camp in recent memory.

OT but the OL might be better at flat out mauling folks than 2018's. Eric Charmander will lose sleep starting Friday.

lol! Mertz sucks.

I used to respect that, before it became non cutting edge.
If you can't stop an offense, first, make sure that goes both ways, and we havnt been that til now.
Second, find the players needed to stop their offense, for the most part.

I just think of our recruiting,including our recent jucos, when SF said other teams are bigger than us, and thats not us.
I know, to common wiscy fan, this sounds like other coaches, but, SF played on those teams, where the denying wiscy fans wont accept the very idea of their offense came from here.
SF knows how it works, and a heck of a lot more.
Wisky can disrespect us until we spank them...and just think we need to blow them out 3/4 of the time before we can really start talking. I am embarassed by NU fans who don't realize they have insulted us by doing what we used to do to teams.

1. We were one win away from the Rose Bowl, they beat us by 40
2. We were ranked in the top 15 twice they beat us by an average of 30 points
3. We were 8-0, they beat us
4. Their rbs broke multiple records against us
5. But one of our entitled wrs, at a salty 180, did cheapshot one of their dbs while they were beating us by 40.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Wisky can disrespect us until we spank them...and just think we need to blow them out 3/4 of the time before we can really start talking. I am embarassed by NU fans who don't realize they have insulted us by doing what we used to do to teams.

5. But one of our entitled wrs, at a salty 180, did cheapshot one of their dbs while they were beating us by 40.

Lol.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
tied with another for 2nd and 3rd string

This is dangerous but I will go out on a limb and say that sometime this year, maybe even by the time we play those guys, mertz will be the starter. He's one dangerous cat, badger now. I think it's psychology by Chyst

Yea, our culture, recruiting, coaching, SnC all sucked then.
So did our ADs and admin.
Their style of play is much harder to do nowadays,since teams are scoring so many more points due to rules changes, and the perfections of great coaching taking advantage of those changes.

Not having tremendous defense shifts their entire capabilities,as they have to do what they dont do alot of, like someone said, just 4 passes against us was more than enough.
Too bad none of our previous offensive limitations are around anymore, for wiscy that is.

Heres some wiscy, drink it sloooooowly.
119th in passing last year.
About 23 attempts per game.
About 13 comps per game.
6.7 yds per attempt.
19 tds
14 ints.
Jack Coan was recruited heavily by MR.
Impressed anyone?
Ok, their forte.
6th in rushing
4th in yds per rush
18th in rush scoring hmmmm.
44 to 23 run pass.
Clemson finished 10 in rushing, but their passing was 23rd at a 38 to 34 run pass ratio.

I see a weakness

I'm with you on 1-4, they've absolutely owned us, but you're off base on 5. And I don't like Kenny Pelini.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT