ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the FG kicker this week?

BuckysBoys1

Senior
Mar 28, 2019
I don't see Pickering being ready for tommorows game! Sounds like the coaches are not happy with Jorgenson this week. So who will be kicking field goals? I see this being a year long problem. Pickering has been gimpy for months.

I don't see Pickering being ready for tommorows game! Sounds like the coaches are not happy with Jorgenson this week. So who will be kicking field goals? I see this being a year long problem. Pickering has been gimpy for months.
Replacements_70.jpg

Seriously, though, these are the two men listed on the roster as strictly place kickers:
Gabe Heins
Heins joined the Nebraska program as a walk-on after being one of the top kickers in the state the past two seasons at Kearney High School. Heins earned honorable-mention all-state accolades as a senior from both the Omaha World-Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star. Heins connected on 5-of-8 field goals in 2018, including a 44-yarder, while also making 32-of-34 extra-point tries. During his junior season, Heins helped Coach Brandon Cool’s team to a 12-1 record and a trip to the Class A state finals. Heins made 8-of-11 field goals as a junior, while connecting on 46-of-52 PATs. Heins also saw action on defense his final two years. Following his career, Heins was selected to play in the 2019 Nebraska Shrine Bowl, and he connected on a 37-yard field goal in the game.
Dylan Jorgensen
Jorgensen provided Lincoln Southwest High School with a dependable kicking threat. Jorgensen earned first-team Super-State honors from the Lincoln Journal Star and second-team All-Nebraska accolades from the Omaha World-Herald for his performance in 2018. Jorgensen connected on 7-of-11 field goals and all 29 of his PAT attempts to help Coach Andrew Sherman’s Silverhawks to a 7-3 record and state playoff appearance. Jorgensen also averaged better than 36 yards per punt and booted 36 of his 48 kickoffs for touchbacks. As a junior, Jorgensen made 7-of-10 field goals with a long field goal of 44 yards. He also made all 36 extra-point tries, averaged better than 36 yards per punt and had 19 touchbacks.

Seriously, though, these are the two men listed on the roster as strictly place kickers:
Gabe Heins
Heins joined the Nebraska program as a walk-on after being one of the top kickers in the state the past two seasons at Kearney High School. Heins earned honorable-mention all-state accolades as a senior from both the Omaha World-Herald and the Lincoln Journal Star. Heins connected on 5-of-8 field goals in 2018, including a 44-yarder, while also making 32-of-34 extra-point tries. During his junior season, Heins helped Coach Brandon Cool’s team to a 12-1 record and a trip to the Class A state finals. Heins made 8-of-11 field goals as a junior, while connecting on 46-of-52 PATs. Heins also saw action on defense his final two years. Following his career, Heins was selected to play in the 2019 Nebraska Shrine Bowl, and he connected on a 37-yard field goal in the game.
Dylan Jorgensen
Jorgensen provided Lincoln Southwest High School with a dependable kicking threat. Jorgensen earned first-team Super-State honors from the Lincoln Journal Star and second-team All-Nebraska accolades from the Omaha World-Herald for his performance in 2018. Jorgensen connected on 7-of-11 field goals and all 29 of his PAT attempts to help Coach Andrew Sherman’s Silverhawks to a 7-3 record and state playoff appearance. Jorgensen also averaged better than 36 yards per punt and booted 36 of his 48 kickoffs for touchbacks. As a junior, Jorgensen made 7-of-10 field goals with a long field goal of 44 yards. He also made all 36 extra-point tries, averaged better than 36 yards per punt and had 19 touchbacks.

So Jorgensen made 29+36=65 PAT's in row over a two-year span at Lincoln Southwest?

In addition to the place kickers, one of the punters has place kicking experience from five years ago:
Jackson Walker
Walker transferred to Nebraska after previously attending Coffeyville Community College (Kansas), Johnson County Community College (Kansas) and the University of Kansas. He graduated from Blue Valley Northwest High School in Overland Park, Kan., in 2015. At a KCK kicking camp, Walker was rated four of five stars as both a placekicker and punter. I found a game story from 2014 where Walker made field goals of 34 and 35 yards to lead BVNW to victory over BV West.

There also might be some karmic justice in having a female kicker score against Colorado, where Katie Hnida didn't get a chance to kick and was allegedly assaulted (one of several women to report crimes by Buffs football players in the Gary Barnett era) by teammates before she transferred to New Mexico and became the first women to score in a Division I football game.

I nominate Savanah Uveges, a senior from Illinois, who has a goal this season.

With Barnett in the press box providing color commentary for KOA and the Buffs radio network, that might be fun. Uveges scores, and the UNL media relations team hands Barnett and Mark Johnson a note about Hnida's accomplishment.

Gabe Heins
Dylan Jorgensen

Isn't there one guy on the Roster listed as a Safety who was an All-State kicker as well. Maybe it is one of these two.

I was hopeful he’d be ready for the Colorado game. We could his leg to help with field position (kicking it out of the end zone and not allowing any returns) and the extra 3-12 points he could add maybe helpful as well. I am Crossing my fingers here.

Why not give one of the Davis or Daniels brothers a shot?

Had a friend text me saying his coworkers kid had a tryout this week and made the squad...pretty slim picking at the kicker spot when you are pulling from the student body

yes and Armstrong can kick too. I think the decision was whether or not to use a travel roster spot on a kicker. Obviously you would like somebody who can make a field goal for a game like this.
Just saw Vedral holding for Armstrong and then Armstrong holding for Lane McCallum in warmups.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT