ADVERTISEMENT

Who were the big time coaches that wanted to coach NU?

You would have to decide if they are big names, but I’ve heard the following expressed interest: Mullen, Bielma, Sumlin, Leach.

You would have to decide if they are big names, but I’ve heard the following expressed interest: Mullen, Bielma, Sumlin, Leach.
mullen, and leach, would have been a good plan b..
just checking and making sure it wasn't saber or bellichick.

Reactions: headcard
Gruden wanted to one up herm Edwards but Frost had already signed the contract and we couldn’t get out of it

Carl Pelini. Darn maybe next time.

rst.gif

My gut tells me that if Frost had not signed the contract, Moos had Sumlin as back up. My question is why didn't Sumlin commit to anywhere and why didn't we hear his name for taking possible jobs until after Frost signed with DONU? Maybe it's just me but I would have bet $20 he was on speed dial as backup. All of that said, I think it's safe to say things worked out extremely well and we are very, very lucky to have Scott home.

i don't think it was Sumlin or Bret B, why would we hire a coach who just got fired, that in itself is ass backwords to me. Moos probably had a few guys in mind but i don't think they were the ones who just got canned at another school, the boosters and the fans would have went haywire.

Reactions: SOHusker11
i don't think it was Sumlin or Bret B, why would we hire a coach who just got fired, that in itself is ass backwords to me. Moos probably had a few guys in mind but i don't think they were the ones who just got canned at another school, the boosters and the fans would have went haywire.
I don’t think Moos would have touched Bert with a ten foot poll, but he did express interest in the job.

Six coaches were asked if they wanted to interview.

Pedersen, Pattersen and Kelly said no.

Frost, Mullen and Fuente said yes.

Both Mullen and Fuente wanted the job if Frost said no. Mullen only accepted the Florida job when he was told Nebraska was hiring Frost.

Leach was never an option. Beliema, Sumlin and Hoke (for sure, there may have been others) made inquires and were told Nebraska wasn't interested.

Once a decision was made to make a change noone outside that top 6 that were contacted about an informal interview were ever an option. Simply because one of the three would be taking it.

Both Mullen and Fuente wanted the job if Frost said no. Mullen only accepted the Florida job when he was told Nebraska was hiring Frost.

Leach was never an option. Beliema, Sumlin and Hoke (for sure, there may have been others) made inquires and were told Nebraska wasn't interested.

Once a decision was made to make a change noone outside that top 6 that were contacted about an informal interview were ever an option. Simply because one of the three would be taking it.

Funny how the tables have turned for brett beilema.
https://www.si.com/college-football...ma-nebraska-coach-arkansas-huskers-mike-riley

Link? (Sorry, had to do it to fit in here)

But seriously, thanks for sharing.

I had heard that Matt Schick and Nick Bahe expressed interest as being co-hc and bring the Schick and Nick show to Nebraska football.

Reactions: HuskerHusaria

I think any of the 3 would have been a good hire - that is why Moos is the shizzle. I think most of the noise about Frost having cold feat had nothing to do with other jobs (Florida, Oregon, etc.). It had to do with Frost focusing on UCF this season and some regrets about leaving. Which are completely understandable. That said - once he said yes the chance he would change his mind was pretty dang small. Pretty cool Mullen had alot of interest in the Nebraska job (maybe because he knew Kelly and Frost were their first 2 choices).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT