3 Point Stance Take on Huskers

Huzkers25

Walk On
Jan 10, 2017
This is extremely well said. GBR

Nebraska needs to have patience with Matt Rhule.​

Matt Rhule

Matt Rhule (AP Images)
"This is what you get when you hire me. It's not going to be a quick fix, it's not gonna be overnight," Matt Rhule said in his press conference following an 0-2 start. Having spent time on Nebraska's staff I know firsthand that Husker fans likely cringed and may have even felt insulted by those comments.
Nebraska, with one of college football's most passionate fanbases, has continued a record sellout streak despite the program's struggles for the better part of a decade. And Nebraska fans feel they deserve more.
But, the reality of the situation is that the glory days of Nebraska football occurred before today's top recruits were alive and without a plethora of elite talent in its back yard, this is a total rebuild and it is going to take time.
I'm not sure the Huskers' new head coach knew what he was walking into when he became the state's most scrutinized figure and was heralded by some as an instant fix to everything that has gone wrong with the Nebraska in recent years. But I truly believe he is the man for the job.
For Nebraska to come close to replicating its past success of the Tom Osborne years, it is going to take a partnership among fans, coaches and players. Nebraska is unique in the sense that the influence of the fans has an actual effect on the product that is put on the field. Nebraska tried to win with a coach who had taken an NFL team to the Super Bowl and failed. It tried to win with a coach who had won with less fertile recruiting ground and failed. It tried to win with a legendary former player who experienced coaching success elsewhere and failed. Now it is trying to win with a coach who has proven to take teams from the depths of college football and made them winners again.
Rhule can and will win, if given time. But this is a group effort that extends far outside the coaches' offices, and patience plus support is the key to success if Nebraska wants to compete for championships again.

Reactions: RedMyMind
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT