ADVERTISEMENT

The only ego that matters is winning

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Every coach wants to do things "their way"

For some, it means bringing in a system. For example, Callahan coming here and running his offense.

Other coaches want to bring in "their guy". That might mean an assistant coach, or maybe a player. Example, Frost recruiting Adrian and sticking with him until the bitter end, even when it became obvious he didn't have the intangibles a QB needs to win.

All of this leads to inevitable ego of "its my way" and they develop blindness outside their way. Example, Belichek thinking he can still get by with the bare minimum offense talent and still win without Brady.

I'm starting to wonder about Rhule. How can it be so obvious that a QB is struggling and the PRIMARY reason for losing yet the thought of benching him never comes to mind (as claimed at the press conference). This is a red flag to me. It's a sign of a coach with blinders on. A coach without that flexible mind.

A coach who loves winning, a fighter, and can't stand losing sets everything aside to accomplish that. Maybe they like to pass but realize they need to run and so they do it. That walk-on that made their way to the starting lineup needs benched so they do it. Maybe that big off-season transfer wasn't as advertised so they move on.

A coach who can't set aside the ego of "their way" is a coach that can't adapt, and ultimately won't succeed.

Every coach wants to do things "their way"

For some, it means bringing in a system. For example, Callahan coming here and running his offense.

Other coaches want to bring in "their guy". That might mean an assistant coach, or maybe a player. Example, Frost recruiting Adrian and sticking with him until the bitter end, even when it became obvious he didn't have the intangibles a QB needs to win.

All of this leads to inevitable ego of "its my way" and they develop blindness outside their way. Example, Belichek thinking he can still get by with the bare minimum offense talent and still win without Brady.

I'm starting to wonder about Rhule. How can it be so obvious that a QB is struggling and the PRIMARY reason for losing yet the thought of benching him never comes to mind (as claimed at the press conference). This is a red flag to me. It's a sign of a coach with blinders on. A coach without that flexible mind.

A coach who loves winning, a fighter, and can't stand losing sets everything aside to accomplish that. Maybe they like to pass but realize they need to run and so they do it. That walk-on that made their way to the starting lineup needs benched so they do it. Maybe that big off-season transfer wasn't as advertised so they move on.

A coach who can't set aside the ego of "their way" is a coach that can't adapt, and ultimately won't succeed.
College football has for years shown that at QB with less than great arm talent can lead his team to many victories, simply by doing all the fundamental things right. We'd all love to have that difference maker at QB, but in the absence of that, is it too much to ask for a QB that doesn't get his team beat?

The fact that Rhule is stuck with Sims will be the reason why this team fractures. You have to have a head coach that is determined not to lose, to do everything possible to win. These kids know who is getting the preferential treatment, and resentment sets in.

So far, as NU has moved into the depth chart, those young guys have made plays. Talent without experience, trumps a player who makes too many mistakes and hurts his team.

Reactions: baseball31ne
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT