ADVERTISEMENT

When's the last time you felt good about a NU team in season.

Not really sure if I know how to define "feel good about a NU team."

In a way, I would say 2016 prior or during the Wisconsin game. 7-0 and coming from 10 down to go to overtime, but I also remember thinking we didn't deserve our ranking. Ohio St spanked us the next week... can't remember if we were getting destroyed before or only after Armstrong landed badly on the sideline that game.

But I think it has to go all the way back to 2010 for me. Coming off that crazy 2009 season with a good defense and Taylor Martinez bursting onto the scene. Still pisses me off that we didn't beat Texas (another game where a fumble deep in our own territory screwed us), but Helu running for over 300 hundred against Missouri the next week was so damn nice. Also can't forget Martinez game versus KSU.... Yep 2010 was the last time..

The last year I felt like the team was on-track at the end of the season was 2009. They closed out with the dominant defensive performances against Texas in the B12 championship game and shutout win in the bowl game. Pelini was hired to restore the defense and it seemed like, at that point, the mission was accomplished. That turned out to be the high water mark of the Pelini era. The next year, they closed out losing 3 of the last 4, including a bowl loss to a Washington team they had hung close to 60 on earlier in the season. That might have been the first WTH moment of the Pelini era, and its been largely downhill since.

For me the last time I felt good about a NU team was 2014 (almost 10 years) when the team had Abdullah getting some heisman hype, they beat Miami, and were doing well. This was before getting blown out by WI and pelini being eventually fired.
Same for me. Watching them pound it down Miami's throat all game felt pretty close to the good old days, then, eventually, I sat in the south end zone and watched Pelini's team blow a double-digit lead to Minnesota and felt at least mild despair, truly realizing Bo had hit his ceiling (which of course is still better than the time afterwards etc etc, sure).

We were a great play by a DB from being 10-2

Going to a BCS bowl possibly.

Should have beat USC as well.

Last edited:

In a way, I would say 2016 prior or during the Wisconsin game. 7-0 and coming from 10 down to go to overtime, but I also remember thinking we didn't deserve our ranking. Ohio St spanked us the next week... can't remember if we were getting destroyed before or only after Armstrong landed badly on the sideline that game.

But I think it has to go all the way back to 2010 for me. Coming off that crazy 2009 season with a good defense and Taylor Martinez bursting onto the scene. Still pisses me off that we didn't beat Texas (another game where a fumble deep in our own territory screwed us), but Helu running for over 300 hundred against Missouri the next week was so damn nice. Also can't forget Martinez game versus KSU.... Yep 2010 was the last time..
Yes. 2010 for me as well.

Reactions: Spectrumalaska
Honestly the last time was 2001 up until the loss to Colorado.

After that I felt we could beat the teams we were favored to and had doubts against equal or better teams.

Riley and Frost eras had doubts even when we were favored.

I have my doubts with Sims and the O-line in just about every game this year.

Reactions: Clevinger
Last time I really felt good was end of 08 through the 09 season until we lost to Texass in championship game. Been treading water looking for hope ever since

2010, following Suh’s senior year. We were bringing back a salty af defense and the Taylor Martinez Heisman hype train was in full effect.

I think they hit as high as #5 in the country that year before the first loss?

Fvck, and we were bitching then.

2010, following Suh’s senior year. We were bringing back a salty af defense and the Taylor Martinez Heisman hype train was in full effect.

I think they hit as high as #5 in the country that year before the first loss?

Fvck, and we were bitching then.
losing to Texas at home in a white out was such a let down

I was at the Texas A&M game when we were leaving the conference. 17 penalties, most blatant paid calls, we've had zero luck since. I sat in the coaches/teachers seats and they were apologizing for not having a fair game.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Bo Pelini, T-Mart years. We were pretty good back then. Should have never fired the guy.. should have never moved to the B1G either.

That is where it all started to fall apart again.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78 and zrob
I was at the Texas A&M game when we were leaving the conference. 17 penalties, most blatant paid calls, we've had zero luck since. I sat in the coaches/teachers seats and they were apologizing for not having a fair game.
I was at that game as well. So painful to witness all of that, plus a hurt QB, and still nearly pull off the win.

Just went back to check.. NU 16 penalties... A&M 2. And the personal foul calls on 3rd and very long were just kicks to the groin.

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
Martinez hurt the ankle in that one early though, right? That derailed the game plan I thought.
Bo Pelini had the infamous incident in The Cornhusker basement before Texas.

Taylor got hurt against Missouri in a beat down. Helu set the record for rushing that game, and the defense left Gabbert wobbly twice.

The Texas loss cooked Pelini I think.

I have to agree. 2010 NU was looking good
For me the last time I felt good about a NU team was 2014 (almost 10 years) when the team had Abdullah getting some heisman hype, they beat Miami, and were doing well. This was before getting blown out by WI and pelini being eventually fired.
Probably 2012 before the B12CG nightmare. After that it was painfully obvious NU was more often than not going to get beaten soundly by teams of equal or more talent. Every year since has been incrementally worse until now when literally no game seems like a sure win.

Honestly, last year when MJ and Bush took over. It showed me that there is still hope with good coaching that we can compete and win games. Sure still a lot of dumb mistakes, just like this year, but damn you cannot deny that we have some players on this team.

The defense started showing it last year, and took a giant step forward this year.

I'm still excited for the rest of the year. I see the improvement being made. We need to fill in some gaps on the roster, but man there is hope again.

Last time we had any sniff of dominance was under Pelini. All hope ended w/ Riley.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
this morning, when @SuperBigFan shared the news Haarberg will start on Saturday

all we need is a little juice on offense to get this team back on an 8-win trajectory

Last time we had any sniff of dominance was under Pelini. All hope ended w/ Riley.
Last time we had a good defense was when Bo had a bunch of Callahan’s recruits on D. We were NOT dominant as a team in multiple games that year.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Last time we had a good defense was when Bo had a bunch of Callahan’s recruits on D. We were NOT dominant as a team in multiple games that year.
Oh agree 100% on both points; just sayin that's that last team we've had with the Talent CAPABLE of being dominant.

One of Reillys teams was 7-0 at one point !

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT