ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you think gets offered the Nebraska job?

I disagree on the part of "we thought we were getting good defense ' . I recorded and watched all the ucf games I could that year. My warning to this board was the defense . Gave up a lot of points and yards but they also got a lot of takeaways. Plus offense capitalized on them and many of their games were probably above the over/under.

On the optimistic side most probably watched their bowl game against auburn in which their defense was great and shut down the war eagles
That isn’t what I meant…My point is SF was a offensive minded head coach and I’d rather have a great coach that has a great defense than a head coach that is offensive minded in this conference like we have now..

Don’t think you comprehended what I was getting at..

Aranda, but something tells me he’s LSU’s top target.

Campbell, from what I know about him he and his family love Ames and want to stay there. I think he knows he’s got a good gig over in Ames and doesn’t want to screw it up. Doubt he’d take any other job to be honest.

Monken, doubt he even gets an interview. Most scoff at the thought of going triple option, as if it’s beneath us. While I personally think triple option can be effective at NU, I also think it would raise the floor but lower the ceiling.

Kiffin, polarizing figure but has matured a bit as a coach and a person. If we want to continue running a more modern spread offense he’s worth a look.

Chadwell, maybe gets an interview but could be a repeat of Frost with lack of P5 experience.

O’Brien, his name has been thrown around a bit. Not sure if he is a long term hire though. He’s tenure would probably be similar to his time at Penn.

Meyer, doubt he’d ultimately come to Lincoln, but it’s not far fetched to see Trev at least reach out.

That isn’t what I meant…My point is SF was a offensive minded head coach and I’d rather have a great coach that has a great defense than a head coach that is offensive minded in this conference like we have now..

Don’t think you comprehended what I was getting at..
"""My choice is Dave Aranda, because he has coached in the conference and you need to have a good defense to win the division and conference before a Lane Kiffen type offense..Which we thought we were getting with SF when he arrived in Lincoln.."""""

Sorry if interpreted wrong what meant to say in above quote. I assume you meant were getting a high octane offense which ultimately didn't materialize

Reactions: scarletred
In no order:

Aranda - Bring Grimes & Keep Chins
Matt Rhule: Could we convince him
Bob Stoops: Take a flier. He loves the OU/NU tradition, could he bring us back
Joe Brady: Dude knows offense
Urban: Not happening, but sell your soul
Brian Kelly: Maybe a change of scenery
Chris Peterson: Would he come out of retirement?

Matt Rhule is an interesting name. He is a proven winner everywhere he has gone except for the Panthers. I would be in favor.

Aranda would be a winning choice as well. I think LSU goes with Mel Tucker so Aranda could be in play.

I also like two assistant coaches. Dan Lanning who is defensive coordinator at Georgia and Alex Grinch Oklahoma's defensive coordinator.

I am intrigued by Jamey Chadwell but due to Frost coming from a similar smaller program this might not set well with the fan base.

Those are the names I think have the best chance.

Steel yourself for the fact that it is going to be someone like Craig Bohl and you'll sleep better at night. The odds of Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops coming to Nebraska are the same as Shakira and Margot Robbie ringing my doorbell right now and demanding a threesome.

I don't have a good other option, but no to Campbell. The fact that he can't beat Iowa IS a big deal. Smoke and mirrors coaching in the Big XII. We already saw first-hand, Bo going from Big XII and Big 10 and newsflash: it aint easy.
Bo had to REBUILD an entire roster for Big 10 play....bigger stronger players. Something NO coach has had to do in Nebraska history.

Campbell would come in and INHERIT what Bo didn't have......BIG 10 talent! All they need is good coaching...

Reactions: BleedRed78
Steel yourself for the fact that it is going to be someone like Craig Bohl and you'll sleep better at night. The odds of Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops coming to Nebraska are the same as Shakira and Margot Robbie ringing my doorbell right now and demanding a threesome.
I would take lance Leipold. Very good coach

Reactions: BleedRed78
Aranda would be amazing. Would we even have a shot at him? I would imagine any coach in the Big 12 has at least one eye on the exit turnstile, given the precariousness of the conference. Baylor plays some good football. Plus... he knows Texas recruiting. He would definitely be higher on my list than O'Brien. I am only partial to O'Brien since I know what a shitstorm he walked into out here in PA after the Paterno thing. He held that program together for two years with a bailing wire and a prayer. Things could have completely unraveled and PSU could have ended up 2-10 for two years. Instead, he put two winning seasons together with a depleted roster. Which is a hell of a lot more than Frost has done in four years. So I at least think he deserves a look. He also is not a head coach right now and may want to get back into that and so would be interested. And ... he has Alabama experience now.
Aranda’s salary is roughly 1/2 of Frost, so an an extra $2.5 million per year would be alluring.
His conference is rocky at the moment.
Fanbase and facilities will ease recruiting, geography will not.

I like him as an option.

Last edited:
Bo had to REBUILD an entire roster for Big 10 play....bigger stronger players. Something NO coach has had to do in Nebraska history.

Campbell would come in and INHERIT what Bo didn't have......BIG 10 talent! All they need is good coaching...
nah, Campbell sucks. lost to a g5 team this weekend

Honestly, with what we've gone through the last 20 years, I have no problem with Trev hiring someone I've never heard of. I'm not infatuated with "names" anymore. Find a good recruiter that plays disciplined, hard-nosed football and demands that of his players and assistants. Heck, hire Matt Turman from Skutt if you think he's the best guy. Just find the dude that will make us proud again.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC and DonlugoQ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT